New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.5e] Hogwarts: The Community Worldbuilding Project

Welcome to Hogwarts! Be you here to learn, to uncover its secrets, or to lay siege to its walls, Hogwarts will soon be available for all to explore.

Inspired by this thread, the goal here is to build Hogwarts and its grounds and fill them with the wizards, witches, and creatures of the Harry Potter world. So if you have ideas for the layout of the castle, builds for the professors and students, or links to other relevant projects or homebrew, this is the place to post them. I'll keep this first post updated to keep the information all in one place.
    Awesome avatar by starwoof

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [3.5e] Hogwarts: The Community Worldbuilding Project

subscribed.
    I will think up some stuff later.
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

3. - Top - End - #3

RedWizardGuy

I actually did begin making a harry potter d20. The thread is on the forums and I have the site as well. It stopped as real life became a bother for me that and there were very few people who actually submitted material.

https://sites.google.com/site/harrypotterd20/

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    I actually did begin making a harry potter d20. The thread is on the forums and I have the site as well. It stopped as real life became a bother for me that and there were very few people who actually submitted material.

https://sites.google.com/site/harrypotterd20/
    This looks like some good stuff. In this thread, we're looking primarily for 3.5 stuff that can just be refluffed to fit the HP world, but you're stuff looks like it can be easily tweaked back to 3.5 so it shouldn't be an issue.

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

How exactly do you think it should be tweaked to 3.5?

6. - Top - End - #6

Ok, so...

In general - There's a limited number of magical races, and we don't want every player to be a half dragon, so I think we should replace races with factions. Being in a particular house at school (or if we extend past hogwarts, being in a different school) would grant race-like benefits, of which players could choose from a list. One Slytherin might be sneaky, another more socially dangerous (gossip, etc) while another is more of a bully. Faction options would reflect this, with an overall theme being built into each individual faction.

Students - Classwise, I think they should be unique, and they should be something like a pseudo-warlock class that extends to 10th level. A set list of incantations, with techniques that you can use to enhance them (quicker incantations, wordless incantations) and the ability to maintain a strictly limited list of learned ones, kind of like a wizard copying spells into their spellbook.

Teachers & other adults - Most teachers would consist of 10 levels of student plus a prestige class. Instructor, Augur, Archmage, Diviner, etc. Someone with a more limited or self-taught style of learning might not have the full 10 levels of student, while some prestige classes (scholarly types) might continue the incantation-learning progression.

As far as the school goes, we have a few options:
    • Map it out. This is kind of meh and hard to collaborate on.
    • Loosely define it. We'd hammer out the core areas as established in the books, but treat the rest as mutable. Rooms might move, staircases might lead to different sections, etc.
    • Renovate it. We build the setting as a post-book-seven Hogwarts (spoilered for those who've yet to read the book):
      Spoiler
      Show
      In the aftermath of Voldemort's attack on the school, many areas are in shambles, others are unusable, monsters may well have been released from areas they were confined, while others might have migrated in, with defenses torn down. Hogwarts as it was is more or less unusable, and while all the issues are being resolved, the campus is fragmented. Some classes are set up in Hogwarts as normal, while others have been relocated to the surrounding campus or even Hogsmeade.

Some classes might even have 'field trips' with older students helping to fix or clear out sections of Hogwarts.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-01-05 at 02:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I'll see what I can help with.t

Right now I am little bit busy, so I can't don anything at the moment though.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    How exactly do you think it should be tweaked to 3.5?
    Well, I just skimmed it, but I noticed that it was described as its own 3.5ish rules system and that everything seemed to be based on a spellcasting skill check. Right now, the point of this thread is to create a world rather than a rules system, so items and such will probably avoid mechanics that require learning a homebrew system. I'll go over it more closely later so I can give you a better answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    Ok, so...

In general - There's a limited number of magical races, and we don't want every player to be a half dragon, so I think we should replace races with factions. Being in a particular house at school (or if we extend past hogwarts, being in a different school) would grant race-like benefits, of which players could choose from a list. One Slytherin might be sneaky, another more socially dangerous (gossip, etc) while another is more of a bully. Faction options would reflect this, with an overall theme being built into each individual faction.
    An excellent idea! However, I would like this setting to be able to integrate into any D&D setting, so I think that they should be optional rather than mandatory.

Ideas:
    Gryfindor-
    • +2 Con, -2 Wis. Gryfindors are brave at heart and steadfast allies, but they can often be brash and headstrong.
    • +3 racial bonus to resist fear effects. Gryfindors can stand strong even the bleakest of situations.

Ravenclaw-
    • +2 Int, -2 Cha. Ravenclaws are creative and intelligent, but they lack the affability of the other houses.
    • Ravenclaws select a single knowledge skill at character creation. This knowledge skill is always considered a class skill for them, and may never be changed. They also gain a +2 racial bonus on knowledge checks involving their chosen knowledge skill. This reflects the intellectual aptitude all Ravenclaws posses.

Hufflepuff-
    • +2 Wis, -2 Int. Hufflepuffs are loyal, trustworthy, and kind, but they often have to work harder to succeed than those of other houses.
    • Hufflepuffs receive a +2 racial bonus to sense motive and diplomacy, and a -2 racial penalty to bluff. Hufflepuffs have good people skills and have trouble deceiving others.

Slytherin-
    • +2 Cha, -2 Con. Slytherins are cunning and resourceful leaders, but they lack the fortitude of others and are often forced to flee as a result.
    • Slytherins receive a +2 racial bonus to bluff and diplomacy, and a -2 racial penalty to sense motive. Slytherins are excellent speakers and manipulators, but they are generally mistrustful of others.

These "faction bonuses" could be applied to any race, depending on the races allowed in each campaign.

Students - Classwise, I think they should be unique, and they should be something like a pseudo-warlock class that extends to 10th level. A set list of incantations, with techniques that you can use to enhance them (quicker incantations, wordless incantations) and the ability to maintain a strictly limited list of learned ones, kind of like a wizard copying spells into their spellbook.
    Why not just make it a full NPC warlock class, like the adept is to other spellcasters, the warrior is to the fighter, and the expert is to the rogue? Invocations should be limited to buffs, summoning, conjuration, and single-target attacks that force a Reflex save.

Teachers & other adults - Most teachers would consist of 10 levels of student plus a prestige class. Instructor, Augur, Archmage, Diviner, etc. Someone with a more limited or self-taught style of learning might not have the full 10 levels of student, while some prestige classes (scholarly types) might continue the incantation-learning progression.
    Why not just use the warlock base class and applicable/homebrew PrCs?

As far as the school goes, we have a few options:
    • Map it out. This is kind of meh and hard to collaborate on.
    • Loosely define it. We'd hammer out the core areas as established in the books, but treat the rest as mutable. Rooms might move, staircases might lead to different sections, etc.
    • Renovate it. We build the setting as a post-book-seven Hogwarts.
    As difficult as it may be to collaboratively create a map, that is my ultimate goal. Perhaps people could map out various sections (floors, towers, quidditch pitches, Hogsmeade) and then I could put them all in one map. Let's start out with some loose definition, and then go from there.

I also love the idea of the post-series Hogwarts. Let's develop the normal castle first, and then changing it should be easy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArcanistSupreme View Post
    As difficult as it may be to collaboratively create a map, that is my ultimate goal. Perhaps people could map out various sections (floors, towers, quidditch pitches, Hogsmeade) and then I could put them all in one map. Let's start out with some loose definition, and then go from there.

I also love the idea of the post-series Hogwarts. Let's develop the normal castle first, and then changing it should be easy.
    Considering that stairways and even rooms change as the castle sees fit, it's kinda hard to draw an accurate map. Heck, the only map of Hogwarts ever mentioned in the books is the Marauder's Map, and it was magic!

Go Tigers!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Dibs on house elves! Hmmm... low level monster, or high LA race?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

I love this idea. I have been planning to do this for a while and I am eager to help. I think it would be cool if different wands granted different bonuses. I also like the idea of a homebrewed class based off of a warlock.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfire42 View Post
    I love this idea. I have been planning to do this for a while and I am eager to help. I think it would be cool if different wands granted different bonuses. I also like the idea of a homebrewed class based off of a warlock.
    woods used for wands:
    holly, hawthorn, oak, vine, rosewood, blackthorn, willow, ash, mahogany, yew, birch, and elder.

cores used for wands:
    Phoenix tail feather, Dragon heartstring, Veela hair, Unicorn hair, and Thestral hair.

Wands also have different lengths (3/4 to 1 and 1/4 feet is probably the max and minimum range) and flexibility (springy, stiff, etc)

No clue what all these different things would do. Bonuses to certain types of spells probably

Go Tigers!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Harry Potter D20 thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Potter
    (too old to post in though).

I think the OP has links to a site with all the stuff on.

Might be a place to start.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2011-01-05 at 06:37 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

I posted in the old Harry Potter thread. It should be starting up soon.

I remember you hamishspence and I really appreciated your comments. You had good thoughts. It got derailed however because of alignment and very few people actually seemed to be willing to contribute.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Hopefully this time round it'll get more participants.

Maybe the ideas in this thread (monsters, etc) can be 'ported over.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Post Re: [3.5e] Hogwarts: The Community Worldbuilding Project

I like the idea of an altered warlock with a set of PrCs - maybe a PrC for each of the main subjects defined in the books? We have Herbology, Transfiguration, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, the Dark Arts, Potions, Divination, Astronomy, Care of Magical Creatures, and History of Magic...that's ten, which seems like a nice number. I could very well see an Herbalist, Transmuter, Enchanter, Warder, Dark Wizard, Alchemist, Augur, Astrologer, Beast...Keeper? Master? Something of that nature?, and Historian.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2011-01-05 at 07:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

One question - how do we want this to play? Do we want to allow for this material to be used in a regular campaign? Do we want to design a campaign that will simulate a year at Hogwarts?

These questions would play a heavy role in determining the direction of this homebrew. My initial assumption was that the OP wanted a more simulation-style design, but the wish for the material to be able to integrate into D&D kind of conflicts with the students-as-NPC-classes. NPC classes are generally weaker and simpler, and I don't know that really works for our goals.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Dibs on house elves! Hmmm... low level monster, or high LA race?
    This would be tricky, because a house elf could bypass any and all obstacles within the castle automatically. My vote is for a monster race.

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    Considering that stairways and even rooms change as the castle sees fit, it's kinda hard to draw an accurate map. Heck, the only map of Hogwarts ever mentioned in the books is the Marauder's Map, and it was magic!
    Even if they didn't line up perfectly, it would be a good start and could probably be easily rearranged to fit with the rest of the map. Perhaps we could decide how big the castle should be and create a basic floor-plan to be filled in?

One question - how do we want this to play? Do we want to allow for this material to be used in a regular campaign? Do we want to design a campaign that will simulate a year at Hogwarts?

These questions would play a heavy role in determining the direction of this homebrew. My initial assumption was that the OP wanted a more simulation-style design, but the wish for the material to be able to integrate into D&D kind of conflicts with the students-as-NPC-classes. NPC classes are generally weaker and simpler, and I don't know that really works for our goals.
    I was hoping for a module that could fit in any campaign setting or stand alone by itself. I felt that having students to interact with in one form or another (fighting, holding hostage, talking to for information) would be beneficial in either case. However, if people are more interested in a solely Harry Potter world than in a 3.5 module, then I say we do that instead.
    Last edited by ArcanistSupreme; 2011-01-06 at 07:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

Personally I'm more for the world than I am for a module as both will require changing some things and making it fit the module. Since there is a harry potter d20 and a lot of the work is done then I think that is the best fit.

I am however, obviously biased and also want people to work on the world since I did make at least in part a harry potter d20, and having people work on that would bring it closer to completion. A good thing however, is that at least the base class is done along with a couple of prestige classes.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Actually, I don't really like how the Harry Potter d20 system works- no offense, Imbasel. It just doesn't accurately represent how the characters in the world work. In the book, no character ever failed to cast a spell after they learned how to cast it- an Avada Kadavra spell cast by a Death Eater always works, for instance, but in the Harry Potter d20 system the Death Eater would be lucky to cast the spell half the time they tried. In addition, the total spells known doesn't represent, accurately, the difference between offensive and defensive spells. For example, most of the spells learned and cast by the wizards in the books were only used in class- such as most transfiguring a rat into a goblet, or vanishing a fox. These kinds of things were difficult to do, and didn't have any use in actual combat.

My take on it would be to make a difference between the two different spell types- offensive, the kind that would be of use in combat, and, borrowing a bit from 4th edition, rituals, skill-based effects that have little practical use on the battlefield, but would have definite practical application before or after; for example, the defensive wards set up around the campsite, fire in a jar, disillusionment charms, and the like. These can't be used in combat, and perhaps could be used in the place of spells known- as it was in the book, there were just a few offensive spells (Invocation-type things) that were used, and a huge amount of spells that gave life to the magical world, but weren't used in combat at all. Almost as if they couldn't. Rituals could, perhaps, require a skill check- outside of combat, the caster could take 10, and have a several minutes of casting time. There would be no limit on the number you could actually learn- otherwise, we would have an issue with balancing out how to make the difference between characters like Harry and Hermione, since people would want maximum spells known. One way might be to make several separate skills between the rituals; one different one for each different class at Hogwarts, and make the maximum number of rituals known from each equal the skill points invested in that skill. People like Harry, with average intelligence, would be able to learn a few utility rituals and use his other skill points in things like Ride and Handle Animal, with a few ranks in Charm. People like Hermione with ridiculous intelligence would be able to invest all of their ranks into History and the different utility schools, with a few points left over for Herbology and such. What do you think?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArcanistSupreme View Post
    This would be tricky, because a hoes elf could bypass any and all obstacles within the castle automatically. My vote is for a monster race.
    How 'bout 1 HD, 3-4 LA? Also, are we using D&D spells for house elf spells, or the HPd20 system's spells?

22. - Top - End - #22

How 'bout 1 HD, 3-4 LA? Also, are we using D&D spells for house elf spells, or the HPd20 system's spells?
    Or invocations and rituals.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Or invocations and rituals.
    Or invocations or rituals, depending on how all this works out.

Are there any Warlock invocations that cause transportation?
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2011-01-06 at 06:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

There was Flee the Scene, I believe. Nothing you could use on anyone else, but it's a solid short-distance transport. There was also fell flight and spider climb...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh... someone should make a homebrew upgrade for flee the scene.

Death Eaters must have fell flight, if only for the movie effects (yes, I know Death Eaters use conventional apparition in the book )

26. - Top - End - #26

I think the old Epic Warlock Invocations article on the WotC site had a long-distance teleportation Invocation. Can't remember if it was Dark or Epic though.

Don't forget a Quidditch player PrC. (I'm thinking something like Uncanny Trickster, essentially ... a 3-level PrC with 2/3 progression of any other class's features.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

The question is:

1)Do you just want Harry Potter things stated out for 3.5E?

OR

2)Do you want a whole 3.5E Harry Potter based game?

You will also run into the high magic problem. The Hogwart students have no problem casting dozens upon dozen upon dozen of spells a day. The only reason they don't is if the plot tells them not too. This is even worse for the adults.

How many times do we see Harry and company run away, when your thinking why not put out your wand and zap it? Or how many times do they just stand there and not do anything, and again you wonder why they just don't use their wand. And worst is seconds latter then will start to shoot off spells like there is no tomorrow, and you wonder, why they did not do so before?

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    My take on it would be to make a difference between the two different spell types- offensive, the kind that would be of use in combat, and, borrowing a bit from 4th edition, rituals, skill-based effects that have little practical use on the battlefield, but would have definite practical application before or after; for example, the defensive wards set up around the campsite, fire in a jar, disillusionment charms, and the like. These can't be used in combat, and perhaps could be used in the place of spells known- as it was in the book, there were just a few offensive spells (Invocation-type things) that were used, and a huge amount of spells that gave life to the magical world, but weren't used in combat at all. Almost as if they couldn't. Rituals could, perhaps, require a skill check- outside of combat, the caster could take 10, and have a several minutes of casting time. There would be no limit on the number you could actually learn- otherwise, we would have an issue with balancing out how to make the difference between characters like Harry and Hermione, since people would want maximum spells known. One way might be to make several separate skills between the rituals; one different one for each different class at Hogwarts, and make the maximum number of rituals known from each equal the skill points invested in that skill. People like Harry, with average intelligence, would be able to learn a few utility rituals and use his other skill points in things like Ride and Handle Animal, with a few ranks in Charm. People like Hermione with ridiculous intelligence would be able to invest all of their ranks into History and the different utility schools, with a few points left over for Herbology and such. What do you think?
    Maybe the class learns x number of rituals, which all require a spellcraft check and 1-10 minutes of concentration? That would explain how somebody like Hermione could cast the more complex spells while Harry and Ron couldn't.

There's the Path of Shadow dark invocation, which seems to imitate apparition fairly well if refluffed slightly.

And just to reiterate, the goal of this project is NOT to create a new rules system. While a d20 HP system would be cool, I know the 3.5 rules fairly well and would rather not reinvent the wheel. Homebrewed classes and items are cool and encouraged, but I want characters of other classes to be able to function/exist in this setting if that's what a particular gaming group wants.