Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Total War: Future (IC)

Commonwealth to Jelthes:
    Spoiler
    Show

All right, we will have you move the K'Krex.

Commonwealth to ATV:
    Spoiler
    Show

We are interested in equipment that would increase our technological level by + to ++. We would like to hear your price for that, as we have a pressing need for most of our budget elsewhere, so we will have to decide whether or not we can make the purchase immediately.

To ArcaneStomper and Thelonius:
    Spoiler
    Show

To my understanding, I've now got all my scientists with me in the Wolf system with ISREC, and my studies in the Captayn's Star system are on hold until the wormhole stabilizes. If this is so, I would like to hear what's going on in the Wolf system. If not, I'd like to know what the current situation actually is.
    Last edited by Murska; 2011-12-22 at 06:44 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Bugbear in the Playground

Trantis Coalition

ArcaneStomper
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Very well. We will begin moving inward."

The ship begins moving in system, powering up the weapon system and keeping its scanners active constantly, focusing on the ship in-system.

Jelthes + Thelonius
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We will pay the fee now. We are ready to have the meeting as soon as you can arrange it." [++ t. econ to Jelthes]
    (Thelonius- We send a representative from the Coalition's council, specifically Jartis Winst (technology chairman).
    His Frame, together with his Quantum Net Interface and Quantum Computer, are examples of technology in and of themselves. He also brings a mini-fusion reactor, and one of the most advanced Quantum Data Storage Units available. (Which also makes use of NanoFaber construction abilities and FTL computer chips in its design.))
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Orc in the Playground

The Glorious Kingdom of Procyon

To ArcaneStomper:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The GKPV Simon I uses its sensors to improve the gravitational data in order to allow a one the fly adaption of the WSD controls.
    If this is of no use, the vessel moves to GJ 1061 I and starts a detailed scan of the planet and the activities there.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

EVRAZ & Trantis Coalition

''The Trantis Coalition’s claim to be defenseless is hardly honest, considering their recent installation of massive alien cannon in the Sol System, where their only possible foe, would be Terran Federation, that is known for its policy of non-aggression.

Trantis Coalition has indeed claimed possession of parts of the EZ Aquarii’s system. We however took the unclaimed parts that they have ignored and prepared to develop them for the benefit of humankind. There are nations in the known space that share the same system – why can’t Trantis Coalition do the same and permit our colonists to continue their work?

There is no law about space colonization – can a single ship claim the possession of star system, simply by arriving there first? We assume most nations would say no to that. Then the ownership must be based on exploration and development. Trantis Coalition developed parts of the EZ Aquarii, but they left other parts untended. If two nations contend for ownership of the same system, should all of it go two the one, who explored more of it, leaving the nation that explored less with nothing? We say no. The nation that explored and developed a planetoid or star should have full rights to it, even if the rest of the system belongs to another power.
    ''

Terran Federation & Ascension Coalition Power Block

The two powers have grown significantly closer to each other, trading technology and preforming joint military exercises. The Terran Federation has traditionally lacked offensive military power, a very important factor in international politics. This has changed, as a series of defensive treaties have brought the Ascension Coalition’s significant fleet into the equation.

Trivia on Psionics:

Latent Psionics: Class 0
    Latent Psionics, Spice Users: Class 1
    Way of Star Gods Followers: Class 3
    Star Gods: Class 4
    Mind Worms: Class 5
    Sumus: Class 5
    Suula En’Coi: Class 5(?)
    Mother Rhea: Class 6+(?)
    ''Iter'': Class 6+ (?)

To GKOP Only
    Spoiler
    Show

The Reason for Diplomacy enters the DX Cancri. After a quick scan the Dark Sumus on board issue a warning: ''Our comrades were captured!''. The ship’s sensors detect increased military activity in the system – you have a very short time window to make the decision about leaving the system, before you’ll be forced to decide in firing range of the system’s warships.

Iter Only
    Spoiler
    Show

You arrive to Altair and right away you sense a powerful psionic presence. A sensor drone passes by and you fail to intercept it at time. It sends message to its compatriot further into the system. Soon from the inhabited planet in the inner systems military ships rush to intercept you and you sense a telepathic call, growing in strength as they draw closer: ''Unknown organism. Identify yourself and state your intentions.'' You also notice an active wormhole, the same type you used for travel to the system. It is currently of a very small size, maintained by several space stations in the asteroid belt.
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Troll in the Playground

ATV SAR 3419/AV to the Commonwealth
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I can sell you a scientific suite with powerful processing capabilities and integral labs for + p. culture or ++ p. econ. Your scientists should be able to use its abilities to correct several flaws in their theories as well as advance your own technology by +. Or I can sell you a database of manuals with which you can simply upgrade directly for - culture. Additional methods for improvement to even higher levels are also available. However I will not show you anything beyond this price point without you first delivering the required payment into escrow to provide proof of funds. I will create a suitable intergalactic bank for you to do so if you wish."

OOC: ATV SAR 3419/AV does not haggle or barter. You show him how much you have to spend and he shows you what that will get you. As such he wants cash up front not vague "Show us what you've got and maybe we'll buy it." If you want that talk to Jelthes. He's much more accommodating since he wants to make a profit. Of course his selection is also more limited. ATV SAR 3419/AV has more inventory, but doesn't really care whether you buy from him or not and as such is less willing to haggle. Basically Jelthes is a merchant with a booth in the market. ATV SAR 3419/AV is a commercial retailer in an office building.

To the Commonwealth
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was waiting for clarification as to where exactly the ISREC WMD was being built. I assume you've had enough time to pick it up by now.

Wolf 359:
    The Wolf warps into the edge of the system. It's sensors immediately detect a difference. Rather than a random scattering of anomalies the inner system is now completely ensphered by regular rows of anomalies. Multiple layers of them as far as the sensors can tell actually. This has two immediately apparent effects. First sensor readings of the inner system are being distorted and are hard to make out. Second there is no feasible path for the Wolf to get past the anomalies into the inner system without being torn apart by gravitational forces.

To the Trantis Coalition
    Spoiler
    Show
    Delta Pavonis
    The response is immediate as your ship moves closer. The smaller vessels beginning moving to meet you. Several of them also split off from the main group to try and flank you. Meanwhile behind you Jur has begun to deploy something. Massive petals are unfolding from his central body. It basically looks like a massive green flower. Your scientists aren't sure exactly what it is not having much experience with biotechnology, but believe he is readying some kind of emitter.

Unknown System
    Jelthes send an small scout ship to guide your representative's vessel through his rift gate. However rather than appearing in another system the gate appears to lead into interstellar space. The only nearby object is a large cylindrical space station. Your guide directs you to dock at one of the ends and then heads back through the rift gate which closes behind him.

To the Glorious Kingdom of Procyon
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not a matter of simple adjustments. Your astrophysicists have to take repeated detailed measurements of the largest gravitational sources in the system, i.e. the planets. This is standard practice ans usually done at the same time as the rest of the crew is doing the actual exploring to not waste time.

GJ 1061 I
    The innermost planet is a rather hostile place. Rocky, barren and raised to blazing temperatures by its proximity to the sun. At first it also appears to very seismically active as vast tracts of land continuously broken up, as if by earthquakes. Close examination however determines that whatever is breaking up the land is localized, underground, and very mobile. The analysts can't help but mention giant moles. Although the possibility of that ancient Terran creature being involved are very very slim.

Jelthes to the Glorious Kingdom of Procyon
    Spoiler
    Show
    I regret to inform that while our agreement has proven useful events have occurred which require its termination. I have been contracted to make a large delivery which will require the use of my rift gate in another system. And since my rift gate is integral to my trading station that means I must move that as well. And unfortunately further events require that I build a base further to the galactic east. The easiest method of doing which is to simply redeploy my station in the new location. I have already contracted with the Sumus for the right to reestablish my station in Proximae Antilae once I return. However please do not be concerned for any future trade deals you may wish to conduct with me. I will still regard you as a favored trading partner. And I thank you again for the services you have provided. As a token of my appreciation I have doubled your share of last year's profits. (Should already be paid in the last EoT.)

To ISREC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wolf 359
    Your sensors report that the Commonwealth exploration Wolf has entered the system. They are currently outside the sphere created by the graviton mine blockade.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Orc in the Playground

To Jelthes [13]:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We wish you well for your future enterprises. We too appreciated our arrangement and will remember you if we need something in the future.

(OOC: Not sure that this was included in my EoT. The amount I got from Jelthes wasn’t listed. How much did I get? With this information I can try to deduct whether it was included by checking how one of my projects was executed.)

To ArcaneStomper:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GJ 1061 I:(I already knew that. In fact I placed some surveillance drones in orbit to analyze the movement patterns.)
    The crew downloads the data from the drones and looks for signs of coordinated movement.
    Meanwhile several remote controlled probes are landed on the surface to make close up observations. The probes land around the predicted path of two “moles”. One probe tries to enter the tunnel some distance behind a “mole”.

To Thelonius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The “Reason for Diplomacy” activates all active sensors and weapon systems. Further the warp engine is charged but not engaged.
    The Dark Sumus on board are asked whether they are able to directly contact their brethren in order to figure out what they learned and what went wrong.
    OOC: Great, just great. OK with what kind of military strength am I dealing there and how do they approach?

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

To GKOP Only
    Spoiler
    Show

[Dice rolls weren’t in their favour. You should consider picking fight or flight. Warp Drive Engine consumes a massive amount of energy, incidentally so does your main weapons system. Your power will be greatly reduced with Warp Engine active. And jumping under enemy fire isn’t a really safe prospect.]

Dark Sumus report, that their brethren are unable to pass a message – a sign, that their captors have a way to contain their telepathic ability.
    Your sensors are hampered by the jamming devices spread all around the system. You can identify a force of ++ Military, but there could be actually double or triple this number or perhaps half of the hostiles approaching could be unarmed cargo ships. They are towards your location, although their course isn’t optimal.

You receive a message, translated from Sau, USI official diplomatic language: ''Alien Vessel. Power down your systems.''
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Troll in the Playground

To ISREC/ArcaneStomper:
    Spoiler
    Show

((OOC: Okay, I guess I'm finally here for real.))

A message is transmitted omnidirectionally - We're here, how do we get in?

To ATV:
    Spoiler
    Show

((OOC: Okay, that's a bit inconvenient. Can I assume that I show him some sort of evidence that the Commonwealth is capable of paying at least +++++ +++++ +++++ +++++ p. Econ/Culture and that we ask him to show anything from 0 to that price point every time we ask for anything? I don't want to figure out how much I'm going to spend before I know what options I have.))

We will purchase the suite immediately with + p. Culture.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

House Ghalamander

To GKoP:

Spoiler
    Show
    Provided you have no objections, we'll be moving our fleet through one of your systems, in order to enter the Commonwealth, to help them in case things go bad with the Cygni Accords.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: You should get + p. econ.

GJ 1061 I:
    Contact with the drone in the tunnel quickly degrades due to the rock between it and the Simon I, then it cuts out completely. Meanwhile the other drones detect seismic readings that indicate that both creatures have changed course to head towards their respective drones.

To the Commonwealth
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Figuring out how much you want to spend before hand is precisely what he is asking you to do. He is perfectly capable of analyzing how much economy you have for himself. What he wants is assurance that you are in fact planning to make a purchase and how much that you are willing to spend. Effectively he has too many goods along the range of goods you could conceivably afford. So he wants to know how much you're spending ahead of time, and he wants to make sure that you are in fact planning to spend that amount of a money so he isn't wasting his time. Of course if you don't like what you see you can walk away, and he won't hold it against you. He just won't show anything that expensive again until you've proven willingness to buy at that level somehow. Which is precisely what is happening now since you declined to purchase the AIs. If all the purchases you make are on the + to ++ range of cost then that's all he's going to show you until you put some cash on the table. Figuratively of course.
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2011-12-28 at 10:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Troll in the Playground

To ArcaneStomper:
    Spoiler
    Show

((OOC: I figured it was rather clear that the drone purchase was cancelled because of security concerns rather than price. However, I get what you mean and will endeavour to deal with it.))
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Troll in the Playground

To the Commonwealth
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's not what you actually said to ATV as your reason for declining though. IC you said it was because you couldn't invest as much into it as he was asking for, but he only showed it to you after you had already quoted a price you were willing to pay. All the conversations about security were OOC. My NPCs do not know what is happening OOC. If you want him to know that your concerns were over security and not the price you need to say as much. The only time you brought up a security concern, the self destruct, he agreed to remove it. So as far as he concerns you didn't have any other problems with it and were simply unwilling to shell out the money.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Orc in the Playground

To House Ghalamanter [13]:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Permission granted.

To Tian Technocracy & Sthuthid Federation [7.5]:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The sharp increase in spice price concerns us greatly. We understand that neither you nor the Sthuthid Federation wishes foreign forces to become embroiled in whatever is happening in Sthuthid space. Would it be acceptable to send a civilian observation vessel to Lacaille 9352 to check whether the recent increase in spice price is truly to the blockade or simply a trick by devious traders to capitalize on your troubles?

To Thelonius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OK, fight (if unavoidable). The communication systems are separated from the main control circuits before transmitting.
    The ‘Reason for Diplomacy’ transmits the following (broad band, targeting the entire inner system, language: Sau): “This is Lord General Simon on board the super-dreadnought GKPV Reason for Diplomacy calling the approaching vessels. We are here to assert the situation in system and inform you that the K’Krex Imperium were defeated and surrendered their forces to the Coalition. The war is over and starting a new one will only cause unnecessary suffering for you and your people. We wish to talk but will not power down. To avoid incidences please keep a distance of at least (5% above estimated maximum weapons range for the longest ranged K’Krex or Rouke weapons observed or Deathlight range, whatever is higher).”
    During this the Reason for Diplomacy lines her main weapon system up with the approaching force. The drone wings are launched and move into positions to flank the Rouke vessels should they decide to ignore my message and warning.
    Half the sensor power is focused on the approaching forces to assert their true capabilities. The rest keeps scanning the surrounding space for stealthy vessels.
    The crew readies for damage control and boarding actions.
    The telepaths on board try to scan the approaching crews in an attempt to tell their mental disposition and numbers.
    The Deathlight system is directed at a volume of space directly behind the safety distance and fired as soon as a significant number of enemies are within the targeted volume.
    Oh, and please do not forget the security systems installed onboard the “Reason”. They should make boarding, sneaking up, sabotaging and even targeting her harder.

Procyon system: ‘Speak Softly’ takes position to defend/ blockade the warp gates to/from Teegarden’s Star and Luyten 726-8.

To ArcaneStomper:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Looks like it was included.

GJ 1061 I:One drone remains on the ground, while the other tries to lift of shortly before the ‘mole’ reaches her.
    All available sensors are targeted at these two areas.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Troll in the Playground

To ArcaneStomper:
    Spoiler
    Show

Heh. Well, that was diplomatic talk, avoiding speaking of the actual subject to prevent any insults to either party while both sides (at least as assumed by my side) knowing full well the actual topic.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1245

Trantis Coalition

Ez Aquarii
    You may notice that not only was that platform not in existance when you moved into the system, we had no defenses whatsoever in the Ez Aquarii system. We have since moved several defenses there, but you may also note that they are just that- defenses. We have no offensive military capability whatsoever, anywhere.
    While the Terran Federation is known for its policy of non-aggression, it is certainly not our only possible foe; warps see to that, as you exemplified when you spontatneously appeared in this system. It wuld be just as easy for a group of invaders, perhaps similar to the K'Krex, to jump into our system. We feel no shame in creating defenses for ourselves.

When me moved into the Ez Aquarii system, we claimed it all and intended to develop it all, and we believe you were aware of this. We were certainly intending to develop it for the benefit of humanity; we are however uncertain if that phrase means to same to both of our nations, especially given EVRAZ's policy of labor for its citizens.

Certainly there is no law about space colonization- that is why this council is here. We believe that we can and did lay claim to the system with our arrival there. If the parties here will recall the ancient history of humanity on Earth, this is how colonization was first carried out. Many nations claimed large amounts of land that they only later developed and explored fully, and this was simply the way it was done.

Although this is ancient, it is the only example we have to go on here. We could not develop this system all at once; but we did claim it. There are plenty of other unclaimed stars in the universe; perhaps EVRAZ should go find one of them. We have laid claim to this system, before EVRAZ ever arrived with its military and began construction unnanounced. We might raise the question of what threats they saw in this system? We had no way to harm them, and to imagine that the Kej would emerge to attack them is like imagining that a bat on Earth would come out of its cave to hunt a lion in broad daylight. And if they claim that they were seeking to protect themselves from potnetially unknown threats, inside or outside the system, how could they have claimed that the Terran Federation was the only potential threat to the section of out nation in the Sol System?

As we have said before, we believe that EVRAZ knew that when they moved into the Ez Aquarii system, they were moving into territory claimed by us.

Arcane Stomper
    Spoiler
    Show
    Delta Pavonis
    Our ship attempts to move out of the way of the flanking trap. It uses its conventional weaponry to fire upon the ship closest to it, targeting anything that may be engines or power supplies. (using tech attempt to identify these areas)

Unknown System
    Jartis Winst docks at the indicated area, then emerges from his ship with all the appropriate examples of technology.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

WNNC Popularity Poll: EZ Aquarii

At present the various nations across the known space seem to favor Trantis Coalition in the recent dispute over the EZ Aquarii system. Of course so far many have remained silent on the issue, either pondering it or ignoring it completely.

Terran Federation appears to be on the verge of supporting EVRAZ simply due to their own trouble with Trantis Coalition in Sol, which could tip the scales in favor of mega-corporation.

Mergers & Aquisitions: Aurelian Colonies, CAP

In Aurelian Colonies the referendum to join the Commonwealth is proceeding without serious issues. The preliminary results point to a close victory by Commonwealth faction.

It appears a similar popular movement in CAP would be resolved without referendum, as CAP government enjoys high trust of the citizens and has authority to join Commonwealth without public vote of confidence. The elected officials of CAP are observing the situation with K'Krex and Sthuthid Federation, before committing themselves.

Tian Technocracy to GKOP [PM-Level]

A sleek, powerful vessel carrying a high ranking Tian arrives to the Procyon System. A private conference with kingdom's top authority is requested.

[If ambassador is given audience, see spoiled message]
    Spoiler
    Show

Ambassador is a Tian Blue-668-459-N7. He is wearing a silver robotic suit, that maintains a communication line with ambassador's ship.

''We'd like to discuss the issue of the Sthuthid Blocade. We notice the movement of troops on our borders. This could be a precursor to war. The Commonwealth is seeking new star systems to subjugate and the current situation is a perfect opening for them to move against us, the one alien alliance in the known pace, capable of opposing them. While we owe obligation to our allies, Sthuthids, at the present time, we aren't certain we can fulfil them on our own and the whole Cygni Accords are endangered.

There are ways we could extricate ourselves from this situation, that would provide us great benefits, while having far reaching negative consequences for the Sthuthid Federation and Glorious Kingdom of Procyon. We'd prefer this not to leave this room, but we were approached by a certain major power, quite willing to provide generous remuneration, if we were to abandon Sthuthid Federation and give said power control over flow of trade, Sthuthid Federation currently holds by the letter of the Cygni Accords. We have decide to stay true to our allies and their good friends, in the Procyon system.

I will provide full information, on the nature of civil disturbance in the Sthuthid Federation and we'd permit a group of your chosing to enter the systems of the Federation to confirm my words. I would however advise, that the loyalties of the men chosen for such mission be completely certain. We have heard rumors of your problems with terrorist organization Sigmas, and after I finish explaining, you will understand, why information I will reveal, can be dangerous.

I would request a secure place to hold the next part of our conversation.
    [continued in PM, if you agree]

To GKOP Only
    Spoiler
    Show

''This is Admiral Riexal.

You are here to spy on us, hence the secrecy and attempted infiltration by your spies. Therefore, I'm quite sceptical of your words about peace. The last peace treaty between us didn't last long, before you launched that ''pre-emptive strike''.

By K'Krex Imperium surrendered I assume you mean the Admirals in Epsilon Eridani surrendered, as only one K'Krex has authority to command peace for all clans. As I, as leader of my Clan and Patron-Lord of USI, personally haven't taken part in any negotiations, unless you present proof, that Divine Emperor himself has commanded peace, we are officially at war.

But let's hear you speak and perhaps, if you could provide assurances of your good intentions we'll treat you as ambassador. Otherwise you'll receive the spy's welcome.
    ''

The K'Krex/USI forces gather beyond yours and theirs firing ranges. The sensors of both sides receive more time to pry. This round goes to Reason For Diplomacy, as you ascertain the enemy numbers to be about +++++ ++ worth of ships, +++++ close to Reason for Diplomacy and ++ arriving soon to join the main force. You don't have data, on whether they developed new weapon technologies, but your sensors do pick up on the fact, that many of the ships you are facing were built using salvaged parts of the vessels lost in the K'Krex War.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Troll in the Playground

Commonwealth to Tian Technocracy:
    Spoiler
    Show

You do not trust us, and we do not trust you. However, there are worse things out there than each other.

As noted before, we would agree to a GKoP observer to ascertain what is going on in the Sthuthid Federation. Even an explanation by you as to what exactly is going on would be a step forward. If you continue to refuse any communication on the matter, we will be forced to conclude that you are conducting an unlawful takeover of the Sthuthid Federation and endangering the peace and stability of the Warp Network. While we will endeavour to avoid war, measures will be taken.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1248

Iter

To Thelonius
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Identifying. This is a metastructure, tag "Iter". Identify self, metastructure.

OOC: If I jump back now, I can continue this conversation via FTL relay, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post
    Well, strangely enough a faction with Reputation 0 and history of past betrayals proved itself to be rather untrustworthy. My hat is off for the Mothriders.

Damn, about 29 stats in one swipe. Since I'm clearly the next I'm booby-trapping every inch of the Maze.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    GJ 1061 I
    The creature approaching the grounding drone abruptly surfaces next to the drone. The drone’s cameras send back pictures of a vast array of grinding teeth before it is engulfed and contact is lost. From the ship the creature appears to have a long snake like body that is covered in plates of heavy armor like material. Shortly after eating the drone the creatures burrows underground again and from seismic scans of the area appears to be moving off. The second creature attempts to engulf the second drone as well, and nearly succeeds, but the drone lifts rapidly enough to maneuver out of the way and escape. The second creature dives underground and appears to circle the area for a few minutes before also heading away.

To the Commonwealth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assumptions are tricky things when dealing with aliens. They tend not to be as accurate as for other humans. Like the assumption that ATV actually considered itself to be in diplomatic talks with you for one.

To the Trantis Coalition
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC Your ship doesn't actually have any conventional weapons. Its current load out is +++ tech and +++ econ. You'll have to activate the GRESEY or convert some supplies into makeshift weapons.

Unknown System
    A small robot leads Jartis Winst to a transport vehicle. This in turn travels through what appears to be several kilometers of corridor until it eventually stops before a plain and unassuming door. Behind the door is a fairly standard conference room. The furnishings are minimal a large conference table fills the center of the room. Chairs surround it, most are designed for the much larger Kian Rou but a few have been replaced with ones capable of sitting humans. The far side of the conference room is fitted with either a large window or a very good viewscreen, which at the moment is showing the blackness of deep space.

Sitting in front of the window facing the door is a Kian Rou in a set of white clothing that looks like a cross between priestly vestments and the utility overalls of an engineer. The alien is somewhat thin for a Kian Rou, but still looks capable of cracking Winst's frame in half*. Lay his hand on the table the alien looks at the approaching human and says, "I am Vol Alut. We have now agreed to meet with you outsider, now make your case of what you desire and why we should help to me and through me to the esteemed elders."

*You may never have seen a description of the Kian Rou. I'm not sure if one was ever released to the public, although it’s not a secret. Basically the Kian Rou are a race of semi giants. On average they stand four meters tall and half that wide. They have four arms and skin that looks heavy thick enough to serve double duty as armor. To humans their faces appear to perpetually set in a frown giving them a serious and angry look. In short they look capable of engaging a tank in hand to hand combat and angry enough to do so on a routine basis.

In practice however their personalities have proven to be at odds with their intimidating appearance. Not only are they fairly friendly, but at times are jovial and have even shown evidence of having a sense of humor compatible with that of the average human. Although of course humans have only had extensive contact with Jelthes's crew of traders whose clan might not be indicative of the entire race.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ogre in the Playground

To Thelonius/Arcane Stomper:

Spoiler
    Show
    House Ghalamander is going to be taking the entirety of their warp-capable military through the Star Gods' system (warp coordinates have been handwaved as having been provided by the Commonwealth by the diplomats working on our joint project), to enter the Commonwealth.

Also, they're using half of their science/research to work on theoretical research on the nature of the Warp, with the goal of hopefully coming up with an alternative to warp travel, and the other half to try to develop practical military uses of the NanoFab, especially nanites designed to repair ships and other vehicles.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Troll in the Playground

ArcaneStomper:
    Spoiler
    Show

((Diplomacy in this case as in, any communication really. It's what we do when we talk to our parents on the phone or to our friends over a cup of coffee - we set our words according to a certain schema suitable to the situation, aimed to make the information transfer smoother and everyone more comfortable.))
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

Murska
    Spoiler
    Show
    And once again you are assuming ATV has the same kind of communication patterns as a human. Or that he cares about making you more comfortable.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

AS:
    Spoiler
    Show

Why do you assume I am assuming anything? I'm just saying that's what my diplomats assume, as that's how every method of communications they've ever seen or heard about or even envisioned works. And they also assume that people who profess themselves as traders generally wish to make deals happen - perhaps it's not as important a priority as some other matters but if it costs the trader nothing and brings in profit, he might as well. It's why, in any culture, those who deal with the outsiders, travel, trade and so on are generally more socially inclined.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Troll in the Playground

Murska
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm, perhaps I should have made this clearer. ATV SAR 3419/AV isn't an individual trader. He's the AI of the trading vessel. And AIs probably aren’t going to look at things in the same way as even their programmers much less an alien species.

Also again you say any culture would have its traders be more socially inclined. I would think it would be just as possible that some cultures would have the exact opposite. For a very social race being isolated from the members of your own species might require that the trader be less socially inclined than you are positing. Dealing with actual aliens is not the same as discussing things with members of your own race. If those dealings didn't register as a social activity for that particular species then the trader would pretty much have to be something of a loner and possibly even a social misfit as a requirement of the job. In which case being a trader would be just that. A job and one they might not even particularly like. Not saying that's the case here, but you can't make assumptions about what every culture is going to have in a trader, or any other position, when dealing with actual alien species. They are alien after all. They don't have to think and behave like humans and human societies.

Whether its you or your diplomats making those assumptions doesn't change the fact that they're still assumptions. And I would think that xeno diplomats would actually be taught to make less assumptions about aliens for those very reasons. Of course you could make the argument that aliens so far have behaved in ways that correspond to humans. And that the humanists have also influenced them.
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2011-12-30 at 09:55 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1255

Trantis Coalition - ArcaneStomper
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Ah, I thought that the outfit was +++ tech, ++ econ, and + mil... my mistake. Can I craft makeship weapons and still have enough to active the GRESEY? If not, my tech instead looks for engines/power sources on the main ship, and we move in towards it to fire the GRESEY at it. If yes, then we craft the makeshift weapons and do as stated earlier.

Unkown System:
    Jartis Winst bows his head respectfully before beginning.

"Greetings Von Alut, I am Jartis Winst. I have come to request your help with a project of ours at the Trantis Coalition. The basic idea is known to us as von Neumann machines; a type of machine that recreates itself. We plan to improve on the idea with several technologies, perhaps most notably the connection of the machines to our Quantum Nets, which would let us mantain instantaneous connection and control over the machines, wherever they are in the galaxy.
    While most of what we aim to do is within our capabilities, some is not. For the purposes of a more flawless consturciton ability, we desire to use nanotechnology. Unfortunately, our work in that field has not been very extensive. This is why we have come to you to request help.

Given that this is our first meeting, however, we are uncertain what we have to offer you. I have brought with me several examples of our technology, including my own body. You may examine them as you like; my consciuosness could survive inside our Nets if you wish to disassemble my Frame. At the very least, we can offer you economical rescources in exchange for your help, but if you have something in particular you want in return, we will see what we can do.

- (His Frame, together with his Quantum Net Interface and Quantum Computer, are examples of technology in and of themselves. He also brings a mini-fusion reactor, and one of the most advanced Quantum Data Storage Units available. The Data Storage also makes use of NanoFaber construction abilities and FTL computer chips in its design.)
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

AS:
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, so it's an AI? Well, yeah, I figure both me and my diplomats didn't realize that there was the possibility ATV is an advanced AI created to be a trader who actually hates the job.

And yes, the definition of socially inclined may vary - I should've specified 'inclined to be able to do business with those of differing cultures and values, capable of acting in a manner that doesn't generally piss off others, able to act in an environment where he lacks an established psychological schema.

I personally am of the mind that if certain basic things about xeno psychology do not correspond to human ones, then it is completely impossible to communicate with them in any meaningful way at all. Things like the observation of causality, the ability to distinguish between two different things, the ability to draw conceptual borders between parts of existance. Perhaps even the concept of a self, though that's debatable. I cannot figure out any way to deal with an alien species who doesn't hold to these, so I can't actually make my diplomats do that either. Thus, I handwave that since the GMs are human, I make the assumption all the aliens I meet and recognize as sapient beings are capable of communication in this manner, or alternatively are not capable of communication.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Orc in the Playground

To Thelonius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    DX Cancri:
    Tight beam, directly towards the flagship:
    OK, you caught the agents. However, their mission was not to spy on you, but to find information about a terrorist organisation. You may wonder why we were looking here for this information. The answer is simple and relates indirectly to the war. The K’Krex consider themselves a proud people. However, before the war, a group of criminals and terrorists operating against us and other nations left behind proof that they were working on your behalf. These activities created an atmosphere of distrust and were thus partly responsible for the Coalitions reaction and the subsequent war.
    The easiest way to create these proofs was to operate out of K’Krex dominated space. Therefore we were looking for signs of this here. Our original plan was to collect the agents, analyze their findings and reports about the general state of affair in this system. Eventually we would have returned with a properly prepared, official contact mission.
    Obviously, this did not work out as planned and now we are here, pointing weapons at each other.
    (This part goes to the entire fleet :)
    I am certain you wish to know what happened in Epsilon Eridiani and under what conditions the hostilities there ended.
    After the fleet your brethren assembled there was defeated, the peace offering was under the condition, that they were to abandon any warp-capable military forces and allow a small occupation force in system. Currently plans are developed to allow them to return back home but I do not know how far they are developed.
    (Video footages of certain key defeats of K’Krex units from the combat in Epsilon Eridiani are attached.)
    What will happen now depends entirely on your decision.
    If you decide to engage us, the outcome is open. You may win or loose, but even victory would get you nothing. If we don’t return others will come, this time ready for war and you can be certain that you will loose irreplaceable parts of your forces while engaging us.
    You could accept the peace, hand over our agents and we will assist you in restoring the WSD. In this case chances are that you may even return home.
    Or we collect our agents and leave, never to be seen as long as no new threat comes out of this system.
    What will you decide?”[/

To ArcaneStomper:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GJ 1061 I:The database from the downed surveillance station is searched for entries related to the planet and creatures similar to the ones observed. Meanwhile, the ship fires one low yield mass driver round down at the planet and observes the impact area.
    (OOC: OK, something organic, Thresher Maws or Sand Worms?)
    Last edited by KalShurak; 2011-12-30 at 10:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Mechanoids
    There was a slow hiss as the massive, automated assembly surrounding the starship began to peel away. The draining of the conductive fluids that surrounded its hull was a rather unique process, bringing to mind images of a starship being born in a womb of amniotic fluids rather than a vessel that had been so patiently and painstakingly fabricated.

Its body was made of polished white steel, the entire vessel looking more like a continuous, white skyscraper rather than the bristling, blocky forms that so many other starships seemed to favor. The reasoning for this was delightfully simple: Without so many of the excessive demands of maintaining atmosphere, gravity, foodstuffs, and other such things, the Mechanoids had managed to attain a simplicity in starship design that was functional, compact, and highly efficient. No artistry was involved in the creation of these vessels, the uniform color patterns of their starships a clear indication of this.

However, while there was no artistry in terms of cultural expression it would be massively incorrect to state that the Mechanoids lacked an artistry in function. Indeed, the vessel currently draining of the last of the conductive fluid was rather impressive in function. Concealed by hundreds of retractable awnings and bulkheads, it contained a microcosm of the Mechanoids in itself. Its massive reactor supplied power not only to the engines and warp drive, but also to the millions of individual programs that inhabited the towering server spires inside of the starship's hull. Power lines fed to and fro, the lack of necessity for things like walkways or reasonable space demands allowing a city's worth of hardware to be crammed into the starship.

Its weapons bays were equally impressive. Gunships and fighter craft sat patiently in their hubs of interface cables and power conduits, situated alongside dropships and supply haulers. Mechanoid infantry, their hardened plastic bodies inert and compacted into the most space-efficient forms, stood legion.

Repair drones scurried to and fro, the minimal gravity onboard and nonexistent atmosphere allowing them to gracefully arc and spin through the most delightful maneuvers in their task of engaging in petty repairs. The Robofacs were the main thing in operation, assembling a variety of parts as needed during the ship's maiden voyage. Extra disruptor torpedoes, additional shells for the ship's concealed accelerator cannons, subatomic fuel cells for the plasma projectors, advanced processors for additional AI storage, broadcast arrays.

There was a quiet rumble as the starship emerged from dock. The collective of AIs on it worked vigilantly, their minds a cohesive mass. There was no miscommunication, no possibility of misdirection or accident. Precise measurements were given and received, ideas conveyed in their entirety through instantaneous transmissions of multiple digital codes.

The Mechanoid vessel gave a brief flicker as it zipped towards the edge of their home system.

In the blink of an eye, it was gone.
    Last edited by Gunther; 2011-12-30 at 02:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Troll in the Playground

A question of perspective

Lyuten 726-8
    Point Anchorage, 256-754-119

A star system, as usually imagined, was a concept created for maps, politics and treaties. An entity, an area of territory, something that could be owned or controlled. But when you looked at the reality of things, you saw massive celestial bodies, clumps of matter moving along their predetermined paths around a burning ball of gas. There was little impact in whatever follies life got up to, to change that ancient dance. In a way, there was something majestic in it.

But it was ever the way of man to look at what could not be done and ask why. And the answer, why not? There were others out there who had left their mark on the scale of systems. There was sure to be some who had changed things on a galactic scale. And if there is one thing that drove on innovation, change and growth, it was competition. Evolution was the simple basis upon which all life tread, all culture was formed, all societies flowered.

In the Lyuten system, there were several constructs that once left spectators in awe. People had gotten used to them, more massive projects had since been undertaken, but the shipyards of House Varulf still signified something to the people living near them, and especially those working on them. It wasn't just a job, fixing bolts and welding steel on the Yards. It was a lifestyle, and every last employee felt they were not only workers, they were craftsmen living up to the old traditions of smiths and forges. Art, in the old meaning of a skill, could be found in anything, and for these people shipbuilding was an art.

Thousands of vessels had left the Yards and thousands more were to be built, but the facilities kept evolving. New technologies and new systems were brought in and added to the whole, and every new design was superior to the old. Maybe they would be replaced one day, or maybe they would reach a peak of excellency that they could not surpass, but that time was not now. Something that does not change will stagnate, and nothing can ever reach perfection, yet a true artist will ever keep trying.

And the current project at the largest of the Yards was a personal one for George Kovan Varulf, now President of the Commonwealth but always the Baron of the Lyuten system and successor to the Varulf legacy that had created these facilities from bare rock and barren space. It was the most magnificent thing humankind had ever built, to the ones working on it. It embodied not only the spirit of war and honour but the steadfastness, stubbornness and sheer force of will of their entire species. They felt no shame in adapting alien technology, only pride in making it bow to their own will. With their heads held high, humanity could say that they were only beginning their journey into heights greater than any that had been envisioned before by them or others. We may be a small fish that has just reached a large pond, but we are here to stay.

However, while humanity had a taste for grandiose gestures, practicality was what drove the gears of society. The pragmatic mindset of 'whatever works' is the single principle of evolution, cultural and otherwise, that had given them their predetermined destiny as something greater than they are. A societal model after another had rosen from differing starting conditions and been overtaken by another model once it had crystallized and became inflexible. This circle of life was an unescapable consequence of the human way of conceptualizing, but it was not a circle without end. Rather, it kept progressing farther and farther into the great unknown.

The hull of the ship being built was massive, to house all the auxiliary systems required. More weaponry than in most fleets, against any sort of target - fusion missiles, graviton beams, plasma batteries and a massive railgun among others. Shielding and armour enough to survive similar armament. The first capital ship ever built by the human race to house functional FTL communications. Engines and sensors that were above baseline. And a few surprises for the unwary.

Yet this was not a practical weapon. For all the effort, a more effective way would have been to create a fleet of smaller ships. The vessel was meant as a symbol, a fist of fury, a defiant shout out to the powers sneering down on humanity. It couldn't match the best they could offer, sure, but it promised that one day humans could do that. A symbol of unity, it told those building it and those watching it glide past a story of hardships faced and defeated, battles won and lost and a culture with pride, strength and the ability to adapt to whatever situation. This ship was one not destined to be mothballed and deconstructed once money ran dry. It was a vessel of war and it would meet its end in a glorious ball of fire. And once that happened, it would not be the deathblow for the morale of the nation.

Ships could be rebuilt. Technology could be recreated. What is important is that humanity cannot be stopped.

So long as we exist, we will move forward. And woe upon those who try to bar our way.

~ Commonwealth Navy Flagship Raison d'être
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Troll in the Playground

Procyon
    In a sudden flurry of activity the Kian Rou disgorges a small fleet of freighters and construction ships. These ships then dismantle the rift gate/trading station and load it onto various fleet transports. Then the entire trading fleet begins moving through the warp network to Epsilon Eridani accompanied by the remaining dreadnoughts.

Proxima Arae
    At the same time the Kian Rou dreadnoughts in the Proximae Arae system appear to finish their talks with the Sumus. Moving to the outskirts of the system they begin construction of a small trading station. Trading operations and control of Jelthes's many human investments is transferred to the new station as soon as enough control modules have been built. Jelthes also broadcasts an announcement over the WNNC. "Greetings friends and customers. I regret that to announce that a recent transportation agreement has required me to temporarily relocate my main trading fleet and station. Unfortunately this will limit what I can trade to what is already in human space. But do not worry if you wished to purchase something from me. I still have significant inventory, and I estimate that I will be able to complete a new trading station and resume trading within a mere year. Special considerations for fast shipment can also be worked out for appropriate compensation if some good is urgently needed by any of my customers."

Jelthes to Iter
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Unfortunately I do not have the technology to do what you request. But I have many technological artifacts. Perhaps if you clarified what you were trying to produce by this reaction I could find something similiar."

Jelthes to K'Krex [Encrypted Communications]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I have completed preparations for your transport now. However I request that you give me the information of the rift gates in your home systems so that I may connect to your network. If you do I can complete your evacuation within the year, if not it will take substantially longer by warp."

To Glorious Kingdom of Procyon
    Spoiler
    Show
    The databases don't yield anything. They seem to mainly deal with GJ 1061 II and it's inhabitants as well as some cursory information about the Seltek. Reference is made to a data uploads to the system monitor where information on the entire system is kept.

Your sensors record that all the creatures in the area of the impact immediately head away from it.However it also detects something making a different movement patter heading towards the crater. And visual sensors can detect movement inside the crater itself.

OOC: (They look more like Sand Worms, although probably not as large as the biggest ones.)

To Trantis Coalition
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: You can turn up to ++ econ into weapons and still fire the GRESEY. It won't be a complete one to one conversion though as your engineers will be in a hurry.

Unknown System
    OOC: I'm still working on this.