New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth (IC)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Perth (IC)

Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2012-08-23 at 05:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Perth (IC)

Chapter I - A Fortuitous Meeting

Elun, Vanalya and Alexander each received a message early this morning from one among a few adolescents who were payed a few coppers for the delivery. The message, recited verbatim by the youth was, “Grosh requests your presence at the guild immediately after lunch.” Ah, Grosh Thoritt, possibly the world's most gregarious half-orc ex-adventurer. Grosh I friendly, helpful and very nice, it would seem rude not to hear him out. This is also the first time he has explicitly invited you to come to the guild.

While the burly half-orc was traveling about this morning in the market, he spied Evin, and later Sulet. “My friend!” the man sang in both instances as he approached, “come see me at the guild after lunch, I'll have a proposition for you! I have to run, but I'll see you then!” He was off to other business as soon as he came, barely giving them a chance to formulate any response.

Whether by coincidence, luck or perhaps even fate, Nicholas Valon decided that, this very afternoon, he would travel to Fesstrall and join the Adventurer's Guild in order to make Perth a better place.

The six heroes find themselves arriving within a few minutes of one another around one in the afternoon. The guild itself is a rustic sort of building on the eastern side of the Pit. It is made mostly of dark gray mortared stone, but red brick lines the eastern wall. A sign hangs over the door with a painted engraving of a large sword and a bound leather tome lain over several dozen coins of assorted types. It is called simply “The Guild of Adventurers.” The door, however, is locked. A few others trickle into the area over the next few minutes. The click of a bolt reveals the door unlocking. You enter to meet with the man who invited you here.

There is a faint hint of smoke lingers in the air. It smells like this time it had come from Grosh's pipe rather than the fireplace (which is a device he will use seemingly at random with no known correlation to the weather). The familiar interior is comparably rustic to the outside with some high-backed, brown leather chairs and an old chestnut table in front of the unlit fireplace. Around the walls of the room are hung an impressive array of preserved trophy heads of some monsters: a gorgon, an ogre magi, a wyvern, a displacer beast, a basilisk, a bugbear, an owlbear, a troglodyte and a troll. Each has under it, a small plaque with text too small to see from the ground, but Vanalya recognizes the ogre magi as the work of her aunt and the Dragoncallers. She had once heard the tale of its nefarious plans to attack the city.

There are also two heavy looking oak desks in the room. The one further in belongs to the guild master, Grosh. He appears to not be here at the moment. The second desk has a rather delicate-looking, teenage halfling female sitting behind it. She has bright green eyes and long blond hair over her thin face and wears loose-fitting, dark green robes. Her hands are performing a task at a furious speeds, which after a few moments you realize is knitting.

Upon your looking at her, she ceases her knitting and quickly questions you in a bit of harsh tone, “did Grosh ask all of you here? Let me guess... 'after lunch'?” She rolls her eyes, then shakes her head disapprovingly. “You probably have about half an hour to wait still, maybe more. That man can eat. I'm afraid lunch is often a three hour ordeal for him. I'm Jensin, by the way – make yourselves at home.” She motions to the lounge area and returns to her knitting needles.

Hearing the noise below, Beriadan, a young high orc, descends the staircase to join you.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-02-10 at 10:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nicholas looked at the sign hanging over the door, bearing the same marking Fredrick had described to him. This was the place, the adventure's guild. When nicholas moved to open the door he found that it was locked. A few others stood around the entrance and now the monk realized why they hadn't gone in. Nicholas decided to wait with them.

Others began to form around door as well and Nicholas began to wonder if today was some special day for the guild. He didn't let it concern him to much, one of the the members would would surely say something if he wasn't welcome today. Nicholas thought about engaging one of the others in conversation but decided against it. Rarely has a man shown himself a fool by not speaking and he wanted to make a good first impression.

Two of the crowd seemed familiar, a silver elf that brought back memories of Mr. Witer's shop and another was someone he had seen arguing with his friend Fredrick.. Nicholas had heard little of the words spoken, but recalled some rather crude things Fredrick had to say about that man when he had left. He had been looking for information, but Fredrick was reluctant to share what he knew. Nicholas shied away from the second man. The others that gathered in front of the door were an interesting enough lot, but Nicholas did not recognize anyone else.

Finally the door unlocked and the group was let in. Nicholas let the others enter first, feeling it would be rude to barge ahead when he was not a member of the guild yet. The interior seemed to match the rustic appearance of the exterior and Nicholas began to feel good about his choice in coming here. As he moved within the room the monk noticed a series of grim trophies, preserved heads of enemies that had been defeated. Nicholas wondered about the people who had taken such beings down and was reminded of the heroes in the books he read as a child.

There was two large desks in the room as well, one which was unoccupied and the other which seated a young halfling woman who was knitting. She instructed the rest of the group to make themselves comfortable. Apparently they had been summoned to meet the guild leader after lunch, which would be a while yet for him. Since that was the person Nicholas was here to see as well, he decided to do the same, venturing into the area of the room with the chairs to wait. Footsteps on nearby staircase herald the arrival of yet another person, a young High Orc seeming to carry a great deal of strength.

Nicholas' eye though continually went to the silver elf, and finally he can contain his curiosity no more. With a smile on his face and a hand extended Nicholas moved to greet the silver elf before him, "Hello there, my name is Nicholas Valon. I can't help but feel I've met you somewhere before. Tell me, did you know a Mr. Witer? He was an older paper maker and alchemist who used to own a shop in the market place maybe 11 years back. I used to work for him when I was younger." Nicholas smile turned sheepish as he realized the question sounded a little odd, after all it could have been a one time customer Nicholas had seen. Still the monk enjoyed hearing about Mr. Witer from others.
    Last edited by Arillius; 2011-02-10 at 11:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Vanalya tugs at her armor in annoyance. What gave me the brilliant idea to wear this to the guild? she wonders briefly, glancing around, or rather, up, at the gathering crowd. Her lips twitch into a small smile as she recognizes the man with the stylized voice, curves and blocking and double bars coming together in a seamless whole. Not exactly blackletter, but close.

When the door opens, she enters without hesitation, the slight tension in her shoulders and back relaxing at the familiar scent of Grosh's pipe smoke, the ogre magi head and the attached memories, scribbling themselves happily over and around the magi's head, drifting like wisps of smoke, opaque, transparent, solid, non-existant. She spends a moment just reading and remembering, then rolls her eyes when Jensin mentions that Grosh wouldn't be back for another hour. What was I expecting, honestly? She pulls out a chair and sits down, crossing one leg over the other. She glances around at the crowd, trying to see if she recognizes anyone else. Her eyes are drawn to the silver elf and the ragged-looking human, though she is not sure why.

Then a rather unpleasant and frankly, painful, memory jumps to the front of her mind, and she flinches as words begin to write themselves over the fireplace and the echoing memories speak in her mind. Invasive requests made I need and denied will not, cutting words and orders tell me, quiet refusals and questions no right, both driven to growing anger do you and then a slam like an ink bottle thrown against the wall get out, the first and last time she'd considered not healing someone if they returned in need....Oh, right. That guy.

Her eyes are fixed in place, watching the angry words scrawl over themselves, half-legible white script on brown brick. She had learned long ago not to close her eyes when this happened, not to make the words any more clear than they were already. This is the price I pay. Memories in writing, obscured vision. It's worth it. My power will help me fix Perth. This place is worth it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Elun was lost in his thoughts, he joined the Adventurer's Guild to make a difference, but so far... well, it had been nearly three months, and he had basically done nothing. He had become the unofficial supplier of the guild with certain products, herbs, poultices, alchemical mixtures, and the occasional potion. He is broken from this chain of thought by a young man.

Witer... ah yes, an acceptably skilled alchemist. Now as for Nich- geeze, another human went and grew up on me. I'm Elun. How is old Witer, I haven't seen him in years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

At the guild's entrance, Evin sweeps his eyes on the gathering crowd, mentally cataloguing the faces. His gaze jumps from Elun Isn't that elf a shopkeeper?, to Vanalya The healer, too? Never pegged her for a member. My instinct is slipping., and finally to Alexander And the watchman. A stick in the mud, that one, but at least he had enough balls to quit when he discovered the rottness in the system. He gives a half-smile and a nod of acknowledment to the last two. He doesn't recognize any of the others by sight, but the crowd is colorful enough.

He goes by the fireplace, leaning casually onto it. "Nicholas and Elun" he says, as if tasting the names's sound. He has a deep, pleasant voice "Vanalya" He smiles and half-bows " And Alexander, if I'm not mistaken" he makes an half-mocking salute to the ex-guard "I don't seem know any of the others. My name is Evin. A pleasure."

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #7

Nicholas' smile fell a little at the question. He hadn't thought about whether or not Mr. Witer's death was really well known. Such news seemed to dire to be missed by anyone. Then again Nicholas had been rather close to his old mentor. Perhaps it was childish to think Mr. Witer's passing meant so much to others. "It is unfortunate news that I bare then. Mr. Witer was killed about 10 years ago. He gave his life to stall a group of thugs from harming someone very important to me."

Before Nicholas could say anymore he heard a deep pleasant voice speak his name. When he looked around for a moment he discovered the source of the voice was speaking to another already. Nicholas decides to continue on with what he was saying, "I am actually here to join the guild, so that I might prevent such things from happening to others."
    Last edited by Arillius; 2011-03-15 at 07:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, that uh... I should have known that. I'm sorry to hear that, we were never more than colleagues, but he obviously meant a great deal to you. You never finished your apprenticeship then, did you?
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Vanalya starts slightly when Evin speaks, his words overwriting the memory in the distinctive blackletter. "You have a better memory for names than I do," she remarks, her mind struggling to connect the names to the faces and the voices while still listening to the conversations. Elun...the shopkeeper? Really? And he knows this Nick, as well...Alex, so that's his name, he never mentioned it, if I recall...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Evin smiles, and the little crinkles around his eyes deepen. "I have to." he answers, amused "I suppose you remember diseases, and wound types, and remedies pretty well, do you? Knowing people it's part of what I do for a living."

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

In the weeks since he joined the guild, Beriadan's aid to Perth had consisted of moving boxes around and fixing a noble's plumbing issue (oversized rats can make... significant blockages). Even the guild halls had been relatively quiet - the only noises of significance being fights, few of those between sober folk. So when he heard Jensin speak to a group that just clambered in, he couldn't help but investigate in hopes of being a part of something... more important than what he had been doing.

At first Beriadan leaned near the doorway, partially masking his uncomfortably imposing figure. Most faces he didn't recognize - he saw the strange woman get in a fight with Hajenor, and he definitely remembered hearing Evin's voice from somewhere, but... Wait a second. Who's that odd man in the back? He's... that guy I saw running along the roof the other day, with an odd looking walking stick. Curiosity carried Beriadan into the room. He puffed out his chest and pursed his lips in an attempt at a proud, mature gait as he found his way towards Sulet.

"Pardon me." His voice was quite deep - Jensin picked up just how much deeper than normal. "My name is Beriadan. I just recently joined the guild, and was wondering why Grosh had summoned you all here." I'm quite eager for work. Please let me join in. His warm smile had a hint of sheepishness to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

12. - Top - End - #12

"Its alright. Thinking back its rather obvious it would not be a well known event." Nicholas smiled again, thinking back on his old mentor. He hadn't been reclusive but somehow his passing hadn't affected many outside Sara and Nicholas. It was as if in his final days he barely interacted with any other then him and his mother. No family ever came looking for him, his old friends never sent letters asking what happened. It was a sad thought, but knowing Mr. Witer he probably wouldn't have wanted to much fuss over his passing anyway.

"I never did finish my apprenticeship as a scribe and paper maker, but Mr. Witer did get to teach me the basics of alchemy before his passing. Unfortunately that craft is far more difficult then simply making paper or writing missives. I haven't been able to learn much since his passing." Nicholas sighed before continuing. "How about you? How are you these days?"
    Last edited by Arillius; 2011-02-11 at 03:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Vanalya nods. "Yes, I do. I can't rely on my magic to do everything for me. Diseases, poisons...all I can do for things like that is tend to my patient as best as I can, and hope that it will be enough." When the high orc asks his question, Vanalya shrugs. "He didn't tell me. The messenger said to come here 'after lunch'. I just forgot that 'after lunch' for Grosh is at least half an hour or so from now."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Alexander

From the moment Alexander had received his message and banished the young messenger from his home with his dirtiest copper piece and his best get-out-of-my-sight glare, there had been an odd knot forming in his stomach. It had been six years since he had joined the watch. Six years of living on the edge, surrounded by the Enemy and his eyes. Six years of misery and the overwhelming hopelessness of his Task. Now it could all change.

Thus he was in a slightly less bad mood than usual as he approached the Adventurer's Guild, but it fell back to normal levels as he surveyed the rest of the group. He didn't particularly feel that they were a terribly impressive bunch. He wasn't sure which was worse, the teenage girl or the musician. Resisting the urge to sigh loudly, he entered with the others as the door opened, again resisting an even stronger urge to sigh at the news that Grosh was late.

In the lounge area, Alexander picks a spot close to the entrance and glares appraisingly at each of the assorted people in turn, committing their appearances and names to memory, filing them away in his mind according to how well he should observe them. He pointedly avoids looking at Vanalya, but frowns momentarily at Nicholas, taking a few moments to remember where he had seen that face before. His only response to Evin's greeting was an acknowledging grunt.

His appraising finished, Alexander selects an empty corner and glares at it, observing the group with his peripheral vision and keen ears.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Beriadan turned to Vanalya, a bit surprised. "I suppose no one knows what's going on. Grosh is sometimes... like that." His head turned slightly to the right as he let out a hint of a sigh. He caught a glimpse of Alexander setting his gaze on the corner, and he quickly turned back towards Vanalya. "So... You know Hajenor?" There was a slight hitch between Haje and nor, indicating the precise time he realized what he had just brought up.
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Vanalya tenses slightly. "Yes, I am acquainted with him. We used to be friends. Why do you ask?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Because I'm an idiot. "Well..." Beriadan furrowed his brow. "From how you speak of him, I assume he hasn't recanted his talk about Perth to you," looking to the everyone, "but at least some of us have decided to stay and help."
    Last edited by GoodbyeSoberDay; 2011-02-11 at 07:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

"While Hajenor has repeated his speech about his view of Perth several times, he has never recanted any of his words," Vanalya replied as her mind helpfully wrote the definition of recant next to the high orc's words. "It is good to know that you do not seem to share his beliefs."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Pretty good actually, I haven't been effected too much by the city's decline, though it is... disappointing. That's why I'm here actually, or it was supposed to be. The adventurer's guild has influence, they get things done.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

"That's good to hear. Enough people suffer because of what this city is becoming. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to see this become a better place either. It would have been a lonely task." Nicholas heard the other conversations but tried not to listen in. It would be rude to eavesdrop after all. However it had become a habit for him to listen to what was happening around him and Nicholas couldn't help but catch a few things here and there. "Elun, is it common to have so many members here at once?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I wouldn't know, I've only been here a handful of times. I'd think not, but I was called here, so I imagine there's something important happening.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

"I guess we'll find out when this Grosh I've heard of returns. Hopefully I'll be able to talk to him before anything happens that will take up his time." Nicholas looked thoughtfully around the room, observing the others a bit more closely as a thought crossed his mind. The group before me is an interesting one to be sure.

"Pardon me if I'm being rude but you don't seem the battle hardened type I'd expect of this guild."
    In truth Nicholas wasn't exactly over burdened with experience himself but then again he was also not a member of the guild yet. "Do you fight with a blade or some other sort of weapon?"
    Last edited by Arillius; 2011-02-11 at 10:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Elun laughs a light merry elven laugh, tossing his head back, No, the only weapon I use is this here cudgel. My talents lie in... other directions.

A cat comes out of seemingly nowhere and flops down next to Elun, who ignores it.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Nicholas looks from the cat to Elun with a question in his eyes. It goes unasked though as Nicholas decides Elun would tell him if he wanted to. He spent a moment studying the cat though. It had seemed to appear out of nowhere, but then again perhaps it had been nearby and Nicholas hadn't noticed it. That raised another question that remains unasked. Elun's laugh is almost infectious though and Nicholas' smile grows a little larger. "I have no doubt you are indeed a talented person."

Nicholas unclasps his longbow from his back and sets it on a nearby wall. It was a large bow, perhaps only a foot shorter then its owner. It wasn't heavy though. In fact it was barely noticeable when Nicholas first began to ware it. Now it was a little odd to not have its comforting, if small, weight on his back. The bow has a series of intricate carvings near the grip that somehow did not compromise the integrity of the bow itself. One such carving in particular is very noticeable.

Nicholas had little reason to believe he would be needing the bow in this place and keeping it on might make him seem paranoid. Still he kept an eye on it as he continued talking. "My own weapon of choice. Not as useful as a cudgel but I enjoy some success in employing it."
    Last edited by Arillius; 2011-03-15 at 07:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

An elegant weapon, requiring great skill and strength. A weapon you can never master, I approve, Elun says with a smile that seemed to say, "As if you needed my approval," in a joking manner.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Your host finally walks through the door of guild. Standing just shy of seven feet, Grosh is a titan of a man. He is mostly bald, but what gray hair does remain around the sides of his head is pulled back to a ponytail. His skin has started to turn to grayer hues as well. Even though the man is starting to get much older, his muscles, which bulge even through his clothing, still indicate his strength. He is carrying a vase with assorted brightly colored flowers in it. He proclaims with his mighty jovial voice, “ho, you've made it. There are... uh, seven of you. That's great.” As he moves across the room, Jensin's face is wrought in a quizzical expression. After the vase is set onto his desk, she shrugs and returns to her knitting.

He approaches Nicholas, extends his hand and proclaims enthusiastically, “Grosh Thoritt! Pleased to meet you!”

27. - Top - End - #27

Nicholas laughed a little at the statement. "Thank you for the compliment."

A rather large man comes through the door as Nicholas finishes speaking, one who made everyone else in the room look small by comparison. His age did nothing to make him look less intimidating and neither did his jovial manner. Nicholas did not fail to notice the halflings quizzical expression as the large being crossed the room with the vase, but he did not know enough about either to know what it meant. Nicholas kept smiling as the man walked over to him and introduced himself, offering his hand int he process.

"Nicholas Valon. It is a pleasure to meet you as well." Nicholas grips the hand of the hand of the man before him firmly and shakes it. "I came here today in hopes of joining your guild. I hope I'm not interrupting anything."
    Last edited by Arillius; 2011-03-15 at 08:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

“Interrupting? No, no - not at all! The guild will be glad to have you." Turning to the others, "it's so nice to see all of you. I have a proposition to make!” The burly half-orc withdraws a bone pipe from his vest pocket and pauses for a few moments to light it on a torch. “Make yourselves at home,” he announces as his massive frame drops into one of the available sturdy leather chairs. He begins to puff rings of sweet smelling smoke into the air. He seems to be waiting for you to do something.

29. - Top - End - #29

Nicholas looks from Grosh to Elun and shrugs before finding a seat next to his bow against a nearby wall.
    Last edited by Arillius; 2011-02-11 at 11:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Elun gives Grosh a look before sitting down, they've had this conversation many times before, and now isn't the time. Elun pulls out a piece of cloth and ties it around his nose and mouth, using it to filter the smoke out of the air. Elun, being both a long lived elf and a medicinal oriented alchemist, is very health conscious, and his experience has shown him that smoking is one of the most disgusting habits of the world. The cat leaps into his lap, and he strokes her by habit.
    Show