1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Lists of Necessary Magic Items

I approve of this thread.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Under Fear Immunity, a Minor Schema (MoE 122) of Heroes' Feast costs 26,400 GP, but you can split the cost among the entire party, because it benefits everyone. You just need someone capable of using it, which means someone who can use bard spells, cleric spells, or UMD.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    Why you need it: Death effects kill you.
    I'll be honest, I lol'd.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by senrath View Post
    He means the Shroud of Night which gives you the use of the Dancing Shadows mystery 1/day. It also lets you use Shadow Skin 1/day (gives DR, I think), and gives a +2 Deflection bonus to AC. Cost is 10,160gp.
    Ah. I see it. Was looking for something that gave Flicker.

But, erm... I'm not loving it. Standard action command activation, once per day, Dancing Shadows last for 5 rounds? =/
    A good thing, I brought you one.

Glyphseals are one of my essentials, by the by. Just give them a read. MIC.
    I'm aware of BBB, but I was trying to accomplish something different. BBB is a list of cost-effective items for each slot, I am trying to list functional items for each purpose. For example, the Amulet of Tears is a good, cheap neck slot item... but it isn't exactly plugging any build holes.

And yeah, Glyph Seals are... powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    True, but that's a big "if." Considering e.g. Soulfire and Freedom, also both from this thread.
    True. Still, I don't think it belongs in a worse category than the minor cloak.
    For the true pack rat character, the Belt of Many Pockets (not to be confused with the Belt of Hidden Pockets) is a good upgrade to HHH. Complete Arcane, IIRC. 64 cubic feet and 640 pounds of capacity, and still with the whole "draw an item with no attack of opportunity provoked" thing.
    4 items. Enough for a list?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    The Gleaming armor enhancement (from XPH) is better than Greater Blurring (continuous concealment, no need to use an action to activate it every 10 minutes). Same price too.
    Two minor quibbles here:
    • Greater Blurring is nice in that you can purchase it in steps, starting with Blurring (which is pretty weak) before adding the upgrade.
    • If you want to use your concealment to Hide, your DM might rule that the flashes of light mentioned in Gleaming's flavor text are counterproductive.
    Let's leave it to the buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Under Fear Immunity, a Minor Schema (MoE 122) of Heroes' Feast costs 26,400 GP, but you can split the cost among the entire party, because it benefits everyone. You just need someone capable of using it, which means someone who can use bard spells, cleric spells, or UMD.
    Consider it added!
    Last edited by Ernir; 2011-02-19 at 05:30 PM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Hum, we should try and pull together the short list for daze immunity, neh? I don't think that's collected anywhere.... Might be easier to just pull together the short list for access to off-list spells. This I can do, if you would like.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

What about Wings of Flying or psychoactive skins? The Psychoactive Skin of Proteus is very versatile in its forms, though expensive.

Consider effects from The IP Proofing Handbook.
    Last edited by Endarire; 2011-02-20 at 08:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

For the true pack rat character, the Belt of Many Pockets (not to be confused with the Belt of Hidden Pockets) is a good upgrade to HHH. Complete Arcane, IIRC. 64 cubic feet and 640 pounds of capacity, and still with the whole "draw an item with no attack of opportunity provoked" thing.
    You can still include the Belt of Hidden Pockets, as they both have HHH's move to draw with no AoO. The BoHP is also half the cost, at 5k for 150 lbs of storage, compared to 11k for 640 lbs. Whether the BoHP is worth upgrading from the HHH for 30 pounds of extra carrying, I leave to the consumer.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Novice Ring of the Diamond Mind of Mind over Body (ToB). 3000 GP. 1/encounter (more often if you have a recovery method) spend an immediate action to make a Concetration check instead of a Fortitude save. While this technically isn't "immunity" to almost anything that allows a Fortitude save (including but not limited to most death effects, stunning effects, ability draining effects, energy draining effects, and negative energy effects, as well as quite a few paralysis-causing and movement-impeding effects), if you have Concentration as a class skill and invest in a competence bonus item later, it might as well be.

Novice Ring of the Diamond Mind of Moment of Perfect Mind (ToB). 3000 GP. As above, but for anything that allows a Will save (e.g.- scrying, most mind-affecting effects, illusions provided you already suspect something's up, and a host of other nasty effects). In fact, because of the loose way "encounters" are defined outside of combat, this possibly amounts to a continuous anti-scrying item for ridiculously cheap.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2011-02-22 at 05:25 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Hum, we should try and pull together the short list for daze immunity, neh? I don't think that's collected anywhere.... Might be easier to just pull together the short list for access to off-list spells. This I can do, if you would like.
    Coverage on daze immunity would be appreciated, yes. Without sailing into the murky waters of custom items, I only know of exactly one item that can get you out of the condition (the Third Eye Clarity), and that isn't even immunity.

A list of ways to get spells that aren't on your list would be useful, but probably beyond the scope of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    What about Wings of Flying or psychoactive skins? The Psychoactive Skin of Proteus is very versatile in its forms, though expensive.
    Wow, I forgot about the Wings of Flying?
    Will add.

Psychoactive skins (including the Skin of Proteus) are useful, but rather unfocused for what I'm trying to assemble here. The only one that can provide the specific kind of utility I am looking for is the Proteus skin, which can provide 24/7 flight. Can you think of more generic uses for it?
    While I'm on the Proteus skin... what are the rules from switching from form to form with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Consider effects from The IP Proofing Handbook.
    Sounds like a useful resource in making. More focused on helping the high tiers use their abilities than it is to get those who don't have any abilities some abilities, but there is bound to be some overlap.

Spellblades remind me... dispel magic, and protection against it. That's something you need to have, or you're dead.

And anti-transmutations... looks like I'm heading towards a Miscellany section after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    You can still include the Belt of Hidden Pockets, as they both have HHH's move to draw with no AoO. The BoHP is also half the cost, at 5k for 150 lbs of storage, compared to 11k for 640 lbs. Whether the BoHP is worth upgrading from the HHH for 30 pounds of extra carrying, I leave to the consumer.
    Storage space section, coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Novice Ring of the Diamond Mind of Mind over Body (ToB). 3000 GP. 1/encounter (more often if you have a recovery method) spend an immediate action to make a Concetration check instead of a Fortitude save. While this technically isn't "immunity" to almost anything that allows a Fortitude save (including but not limited to most death effects, stunning effects, ability draining effects, energy draining effects, and negative energy effects, as well as quite a few paralysis-causing and movement-impeding effects), if you have Concentration as a class skill and invest in a competence bonus item later, it might as well be.

Novice Ring of the Diamond Mind of Moment of Perfect Mind (ToB). 3000 GP. As above, but for anything that allows a Will save (e.g.- scrying, most mind-affecting effects, illusions provided you already suspect something's up, and a host of other nasty effects). In fact, because of the loose way "encounters" are defined outside of combat, this possibly amounts to a continuous anti-scrying item for ridiculously cheap.
    Damn, these things are cheap.

I'll try to find some place to put them (along with the Headband of Conscious Effort).

Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

You can also get a minor schema for favor of the martyr, but drakehelms and the ring of theurgy will both get you it from off-list.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm... useful guide. Are you planning on expanding it to encompass things like immunity to ability damage and stuff like that?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Some defensive items I'm a fan of:

Boots of Sidestepping (3kgp, Dungeonscape): Whenever you have to make a reflex save vs a spell, spell like ability, or supernatural effect, you get to move 5' as an immediate action. If this means the effect can't hurt you anymore, you don't get hit at all. Really cheap and provides near immunity to many traps, plus in confined areas it means you can possibly dodge behind cover to be safe from reflex based spells (remember, the more cover you have the better the bonus to reflex saves).

Sandals of the Setting Sun: Counter Charge (3kgp, ToB): Spoil one charge once per encounter. Works best if you're small with high dex. It can really save your bacon!

Steadfast Boots (MiC, 1400gp): Any two handed weapon you wield is automatically readied against the charge and does double damage in that situation. Combined with a Guisarme with Improved Trip or the Standstill feat it's basically a guaranteed charge spoiler. Note that when combined with the Sandals above, you can hit them, THEN stop the charge.

Dimension Stride Boots (MiC, 2kgp): Teleport 5 times per day as a standard action (and +2 Jump). Guaranteed escape artist success!

Note that it's not too expensive to combine all these into a single pair of boots.

Ring of Entropic Deflection (8kgp): If you move more than 10' in a round and have a magic item that boosts your movement speed, all ranged attacks against you that need an attack roll have a 50% miss chance

Ring of Spell Battle (12kgp): Automatically know about all casting within 60' of you, once per day can counter one spell (as with dispel magic) or retarget the spell onto any legal target.

JaronK
    Last edited by JaronK; 2011-02-22 at 07:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    Some defensive items I'm a fan of:

Boots of Sidestepping (3kgp, Dungeonscape): Whenever you have to make a reflex save vs a spell, spell like ability, or supernatural effect, you get to move 5' as an immediate action. If this means the effect can't hurt you anymore, you don't get hit at all. Really cheap and provides near immunity to many traps, plus in confined areas it means you can possibly dodge behind cover to be safe from reflex based spells (remember, the more cover you have the better the bonus to reflex saves).

Sandals of the Setting Sun: Counter Charge (3kgp, ToB): Spoil one charge once per encounter. Works best if you're small with high dex. It can really save your bacon!

Steadfast Boots (MiC, 1400gp): Any two handed weapon you wield is automatically readied against the charge and does double damage in that situation. Combined with a Guisarme with Improved Trip or the Standstill feat it's basically a guaranteed charge spoiler. Note that when combined with the Sandals above, you can hit them, THEN stop the charge.

Dimension Stride Boots (MiC, 2kgp): Teleport 5 times per day as a standard action (and +2 Jump). Guaranteed escape artist success!

Note that it's not too expensive to combine all these into a single pair of boots.

Ring of Entropic Deflection (8kgp): If you move more than 10' in a round and have a magic item that boosts your movement speed, all ranged attacks against you that need an attack roll have a 50% miss chance

Ring of Spell Battle (12kgp): Automatically know about all casting within 60' of you, once per day can counter one spell (as with dispel magic) or retarget the spell onto any legal target.

JaronK
    Dimension Stride Boots are already in the OP, the Ring of Spell-Battle will be put in the upcoming "Dispel Magic" list.

The others - well, they'll probably end up on the Miscellany list.
    You can also get a minor schema for favor of the martyr, but drakehelms and the ring of theurgy will both get you it from off-list.
    The minor schema is now in the OP, along with the Third Eye Clarity and *shudder* a continuous custom item of Favor of the Martyr. Drakehelms and the Ring of Theurgy went to an "other" category - they help, but they're really indirect about it.

For completeness, I will put together what I hope is a fairly exhaustive list of ways to get daze immunity in my next post. Let me know if there's something you (plural) find missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    Hmm... useful guide. Are you planning on expanding it to encompass things like immunity to ability damage and stuff like that?
    I am expanding it, yes.

Immunity to ability damage is hard to get from items, though. Talisman of Undying Fortitude covers the physical ability scores, not sure how much else there is.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

For those that weren't satisfied by the methods in the actual list, here's a list of ways to obtain daze immunity (and other things that may prevent daze from ruining your day):
    • Spell: Favor of the Martyr, Paladin 4 spell from the Spell Compendium. It is a reprinting of the Favor of Ilmater spell from the Player's Guide to Faerûn. Usually the easiest way to get daze immunity is to get this spell in one form or another.
    • Feat: Mark of the Dauntless, from Dragonmarked. Flat-out immunity to stun and daze, has a true dragonmark as a prerequisite.
    • Feat: Quick Recovery. Does not in any way prevent the daze from being applied, but it allows you to save against it, even if the original effect didn't allow one.
    • Template: The fire-souled template, from Dragon Magazine 314. Blanket immunity. LA+3.
    • Magic Item: Third Eye Clarity, from the Magic Item Compendium. 1/day, negate the condition as an immediate action.
    • Spell: Permissive readings of the Freedom of Movement spell/effect.
    • Spell: The Heal, Healing Lorecall (Spell Compendium), Panacea (Spell Compendium) and Renewal Pact (Spell Compendium) spells can remove the condition after it has been applied - the problematic part is getting them when you can't take any actions. Renewal Pact is a permanent-duration thing you cast in advance (of limited use, though, since the dazed condition tends to only last one round, and there is a 1-round delay on the Pact), for the others you will need either an ally to cast it on you or some kind of contingent effect or other trick.
    • Soulmeld: the lawful version of Incarnate Avatar renders you immune. As far as I know, not accessible unless you are a single-classed, 19th level lawful Incarnate or have spent an Epic feat on unlocking the Soul chakra.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2011-05-05 at 05:14 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Storage space section, coming up.
    The enveloping pit from the MIC is freaking WONDERFUL. It's alignment specific, but you can either have the alignment or have someone fake it with UMD. But its 3600 gold for a portable hole that's 10'x10'x50' deep. And if you can get the relic power you're even better!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

id just like to say thanks for writing this thread, its been amazing resource for me

cheers Ernir

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

To those that read this: Please point it out if there are more items that provide the stuff in the pre-existing categories, AND if you think there are some new categories I should include.
    As for items. Something that provides True Seeing: The Eye of Vecna. I want to say it's in the DMG under the relics guideline. It's a magic item as far as I'm concerned.

You find it, put it in your eye, take a small hit to charisma, and become evil. It gives you true seeing, and some daily spell abilities.
    Last edited by Squirrel_Dude; 2011-10-31 at 10:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Woha. Hello old guy!

Mods, any chance of treating this as a Raise Dead rather than an Animate Dead? Seeing as I'm still here and accepting updates, and a closure and a reopening would break some links?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Dude View Post
    As for items. Something that provides True Seeing: The Eye of Vecna. I want to say it's in the DMG under the relics guideline. It's a magic item as far as I'm concerned.

You find it, put it in your eye, take a small hit to charisma, and become evil. It gives you true seeing, and some daily spell abilities.
    It's not a relic, unfortunately, but a Greater Artifact. That kind of pushes it out of scope.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NimbleNZ View Post
    id just like to say thanks for writing this thread, its been amazing resource for me

cheers Ernir
    *bow*
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    The enveloping pit from the MIC is freaking WONDERFUL. It's alignment specific, but you can either have the alignment or have someone fake it with UMD. But its 3600 gold for a portable hole that's 10'x10'x50' deep. And if you can get the relic power you're even better!
    Nice find!

Added.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

I'd like to echo others and give a big thank you for writing this up. It's really useful and I have it bookmarked for future reference.

Question for my group that uses Pathfinder though. Do the prices of these items match up with the Pathfinder pricing system and/or are there any other problems with porting them over to Pathfinder?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I'd like to echo others and give a big thank you for writing this up. It's really useful and I have it bookmarked for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Question for my group that uses Pathfinder though. Do the prices of these items match up with the Pathfinder pricing system and/or are there any other problems with porting them over to Pathfinder?
    I'm not very familiar with the changes PF made to items. I just looked at the prices of some of the core items, though, and those were unchanged. So it looks like the value of the GP didn't change from 3.5 to PF.

21. - Top - End - #51

The value of the items themselves often did though, at least in regards to defensive items. Things that granted an immunity no longer doing so for example, rendering that manner of defense pointless.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

I just want to point out that under Flight:Cheap, you listed an "Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Vasp". I've never heard of a Vasp before. Where are they statted?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I just want to point out that under Flight:Cheap, you listed an "Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Vasp". I've never heard of a Vasp before. Where are they statted?
    It's in the SRD, and in the first Monster Manual.

Edit: I got it.
    Fixed.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2011-11-01 at 12:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Would Initiative boosting items have a place here? They're not quite as necessary as some of the examples here, but at high levels the game gets pretty rocket-taggy, so going first can have a big effect. I know it was pretty useful in the Test of Spite, for example.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Would Initiative boosting items have a place here? They're not quite as necessary as some of the examples here, but at high levels the game gets pretty rocket-taggy, so going first can have a big effect. I know it was pretty useful in the Test of Spite, for example.
    I don't think he is listing basic stat items. He really should, as just because they're more obvious doesn't make them less necessary and there are still plenty that falsely believe that stat boosters are not necessary.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I wasn't counting Initiative as a basic stat like an ability score. It has a more specialized importance depending on things like optimization. I think ability score boosters are simply assumed.

Although, adding a stat boost category makes room for exotic and/or really good sources of to be listed. Like that armor quality that adds a +4 competence bonus to charisma. I'd understand though if this thread is supposed to be more focused than "all of the good items."
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2011-11-01 at 03:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    I wasn't counting Initiative as a basic stat like an ability score. It has a more specialized importance depending on things like optimization. I think ability score boosters are simply assumed.

Although, adding a stat boost category makes room for exotic and/or really good sources of to be listed. Like that armor quality that adds a +4 competence bonus to charisma. I'd understand though if this thread is supposed to be more focused than "all of the good items."
    What I mean is that while +x to y stat items are clearly useful and necessary, the thread seems to be focused on lateral items. Immunities, utility, and the like that is still necessary.

While I agree those things should be included, I can see why they are not.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

I see what you mean there. I see we don't have AC, CL, or save boosters either. So something that simply obviated initiative would be more appropriate. And I can't think of any of those that are best in item form, other than maybe a crafted Contingent Celerity or some kind of insane continuous Shapechange item.

What about means to escape death or disaster, in case you die in spite of all the rest of the stuff in the OP? Reroll-granters, contingent resurrection plans (Craft Contingency + Revivify is technically an item) and so forth.

Or perhaps anti-stealth items, like those that grant things like Blindsight, Blindsense, Tremorsense, and Scent. True Seeing won't save you from everyone.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2011-11-01 at 07:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

NecromancerGuy

Not an item, so probably doesn't belong on the list, but worth mentioning the Necropolitan template in Libris Mortis, with rules and costs for any character who wants to add it mid game (1k gold, about a level's worth of xp, min level 3). Grants the undead type with all the usual benefits and penalties, including immunities to many of the effects this list concerns itself with, as well as the usual drawbacks (d12 hit die + no con mod is a neutral or positive trade for most arcane types, and even some diviners or skill monkeys, but bruisers are likely taking a hit to their HP; plus vulnerability to turning/rebuking, death at 0 hp, opposite effects from heal & inflict spells, etc).

It can be a good choice for characters looking to snag immunity to a pile of these effects independent of class features or feats and at a cost far below that of most of these items. Loss of xp is a pain, the whole party doesn't want to go necro all at the same time, but you will earn it back in a couple levels.

Since it has a GP cost and is independent of other race/class/feat concerns, many players might consider it alongside items in their heads.
    Last edited by Sception; 2011-11-04 at 12:27 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

What's the armor that gives +4 competence to charisma? This intrigues me.