New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Lists of Necessary Magic Items

Yeah, sorry about that error. I'll try to actually research things if I ever dump items again.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Yeah, sorry about that error. I'll try to actually research things if I ever dump items again.
    Hey, no worries. It was still a great starting-list of initiative items, including some I had never heard of.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Hey, no worries. It was still a great starting-list of initiative items, including some I had never heard of.
    Especially the Ring of Anticipation is a GREAT item!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wonderful thread! Thank you so much. I always love item suggestions.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I thought it was worth noting you could create a 2 charge overland flight spell item using the dmg rules for crafting magic items: 5 (spell level) * 9 (caster level) * 1,800 / 2.5 (5/number of uses a day) = 32,400, probably boots slot. This could conceivably last 18 hours of flight, but there's dispelling and you'll only have 40' (average) or 30' under medium or heavy load, or with medium or heavy armor. Cheaper, plus the slight bonus of falling safely for 1d6 rounds if dispelled. You could raise the caster level to 10, 11 or 12 and get 20, 22 or 24 hours for 36,000, 39,600, or 43,200 instead too, assuming you could find someone to make or buy it from.
    Last edited by Partyrico; 2012-04-20 at 11:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

sure, but the winged mask is at-will, lasts long enough that you won't shouldn't need to refresh it during an encounter and, being emulation of the actual spell, can be used on the rest of the party. (while you wear it. that's a bit silly, I admit.)

UMD horseshoes of flame on yourself is the best idea, though.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

Great stuff! Thanks for posting the items which are required for magic and the site is very helpful.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Partyrico View Post
    I thought it was worth noting you could create a 2 charge overland flight spell item using the dmg rules for crafting magic items: 5 (spell level) * 9 (caster level) * 1,800 / 2.5 (5/number of uses a day) = 32,400, probably boots slot. This could conceivably last 18 hours of flight, but there's dispelling and you'll only have 40' (average) or 30' under medium or heavy load, or with medium or heavy armor. Cheaper, plus the slight bonus of falling safely for 1d6 rounds if dispelled. You could raise the caster level to 10, 11 or 12 and get 20, 22 or 24 hours for 36,000, 39,600, or 43,200 instead too, assuming you could find someone to make or buy it from.
    I think this is the method used to find the price of the Broom of Flying. It's effectively 1/day OLF, with some nuances whose net effect seems to have caused its price to have been rounded up.

But yes, the problem with an item like this is that the Winged Mask still completely blows it out of the water. =/

Quote Originally Posted by carriewilsonn View Post
    Great stuff! Thanks for posting the items which are required for magic and the site is very helpful.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2012-04-21 at 08:04 PM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    In addition, miss chances resulting from Concealment mean you can not be Sneak Attacked.
    Please forgive my ignorance, but could you point me to the rule you're referencing here?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance, but could you point me to the rule you're referencing here?
    From the Rogue class description:
    A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't know if you're still updating this Ernir, but would you consider a list of must-have wands for UMD?

I see that you already have wands in a few places, but... well, I don't know much about wands, but it seems to me there'd be more must-have wands out there.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I don't know if you're still updating this Ernir, but would you consider a list of must-have wands for UMD?

I see that you already have wands in a few places, but... well, I don't know much about wands, but it seems to me there'd be more must-have wands out there.
    The thread isn't dead.

But no, I don't think I'll be adding generally useful wands (unless/when I actually get around to that miscellany section I've mentioned a few times for the last year or so). As-is, I'm listing items by purpose, not by item type.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Shadowy Diadem [Dragon Magic 103] grants Concealment AND Immunity to Energy Drain for 1 minute as a swift action 3/day. All for a mere 4.4k gold.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

You listed the Glove of Storing but not the Ring of Arming, which stores both weapons and armor, and fast-equips you with them (so you can go to, say, a nobles' ball, dress casually, and be ready in an instant when the monsters attack.) MIC, 5,000 gp, which is more expensive than either the Gloves of the Master Strategist, or Glamered armor, but provides some of the benefits of both.

If a DM doesn't like the Gloves of the Master Strategist for the reasons you listed, this is an alternative.
    The Refounding OOC IC
    Here be Dragons

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Cold is better for cooking food than heat!"=wrong. As simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by moritheil View Post
    But we even have real world examples of cold cooking, so is it so unreasonable to say that in a fantasy world that could be the norm and that cold COULD be better than heat for cooking?

You can produce several million pounds of Tarrasque steak every day! (Better hope he's edible.)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adrayll View Post
    Wait, you're saying I can't have vorpal toenail clippings?
    Can't wait to see the look on a player's face when that one goes down. "The elderly inventor, panicked at your sudden appearance, grabs the closest jar on the desk and flings it at you. It shatters, showering you with a bunch of toenail clippings. (rolls dice) Snick-snack, you are decapitated."
    The Refounding OOC IC
    Here be Dragons

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Cold is better for cooking food than heat!"=wrong. As simple as that.
    But we even have real world examples of cold cooking, so is it so unreasonable to say that in a fantasy world that could be the norm and that cold COULD be better than heat for cooking?

You can produce several million pounds of Tarrasque steak every day! (Better hope he's edible.)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    It is, but do you have an item for that?
    Shapechange wand?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Shapechange wand?
    I'd love to see how you get a 9th level spell in a wand, which are limited to 4th level. You'd need a staff or scroll for that.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I'd love to see how you get a 9th level spell in a wand, which are limited to 4th level. You'd need a staff or scroll for that.
    Forgot that rule...

Shapechange staff, or polymorph, or PAO.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

A scepter would work also.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Saves - empyreal armor. Get magic vestments and get up to +5 sacred bonus to saves. BoED +2

Barricade buckler - 3/day create a 5 by 5 wall of force for 1 min. Tunnel blocker supreme. 4165g

Transmuting weapon enhancement - Hit target and next turn overcome their DR regardless of what it is. Can't find any rule anywhere that it can't overcome DR/epic. +2

Ghost shroud - natural attacks hit incorporeal creatures and 1 def AC. 5k

Belt of ultimate athleticism - take 10 on some physical skill checks including tumble and 1/day take 20. 3.6k

Shirt of the leech - 3/day steal a heal spell within 30 feet. Don't be fooled by the ability to auto identity heal spells of 4th or lower, doesn't say you can't steal a Heal spell. Also gives touch spells a range of 30 feet.... 8k

Vampiric Torc - 2/day heal have of the dmg on your next melee hit. Even on constructs/undead etc. 5k

Skin of power damping - spells that have dice to roll deal minimum damage 3/day. 10k

Mantle of second chances - reroll a d20 once per day 12k

amulet of fortune prevailing - reroll save 1/day 5k

Sphere of awakening - awakens all within 60' burst.... Not enough? Removes all fatigue and exhaustion and makes them immune to said effects for 10 minutes. 1800g (too expensive? its as party item so split the cost )

Eternal wands are probably worth their own section if you are so inclined.

Just a few gems I have written down. Not exactly sure where you'll put them all and I'm sure one or two at least have already been mentioned.

All items without a listed book should be from the MIC

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    A scepter would work also.
    Not quite, scepters only go up to 7th, which is still quite a bit but still not enough for Shapechange.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

This should so be a Handbook!
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

Not quite, scepters only go up to 7th, which is still quite a bit but still not enough for Shapechange.
    Really? That's... interesting/dumb. Oh well.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    Really? That's... interesting/dumb. Oh well.
    They're supposed to be a compromise between wands and staves, so it makes sense in that respect. You can still Polymorph with a Wand or Scepter and Limited Wish is the classic use of Scepters.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Time to catch up on more of those subscribed threads!

As for the whole shapechange/PaO discussion... it's still not going to make a very good list. Should I just chuck it on to the initiative list?

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Shadowy Diadem [Dragon Magic 103] grants Concealment AND Immunity to Energy Drain for 1 minute as a swift action 3/day. All for a mere 4.4k gold.
    Woah! Awesome!

I never really fished through Dragon Magic before. Found a find teleporting item too.
    You listed the Glove of Storing but not the Ring of Arming, which stores both weapons and armor, and fast-equips you with them (so you can go to, say, a nobles' ball, dress casually, and be ready in an instant when the monsters attack.) MIC, 5,000 gp, which is more expensive than either the Gloves of the Master Strategist, or Glamered armor, but provides some of the benefits of both.

If a DM doesn't like the Gloves of the Master Strategist for the reasons you listed, this is an alternative.
    Huh. Good enough. Added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulean View Post
    Saves - empyreal armor. Get magic vestments and get up to +5 sacred bonus to saves. BoED +2

Barricade buckler - 3/day create a 5 by 5 wall of force for 1 min. Tunnel blocker supreme. 4165g

Transmuting weapon enhancement - Hit target and next turn overcome their DR regardless of what it is. Can't find any rule anywhere that it can't overcome DR/epic. +2

Ghost shroud - natural attacks hit incorporeal creatures and 1 def AC. 5k

Belt of ultimate athleticism - take 10 on some physical skill checks including tumble and 1/day take 20. 3.6k

Shirt of the leech - 3/day steal a heal spell within 30 feet. Don't be fooled by the ability to auto identity heal spells of 4th or lower, doesn't say you can't steal a Heal spell. Also gives touch spells a range of 30 feet.... 8k

Vampiric Torc - 2/day heal have of the dmg on your next melee hit. Even on constructs/undead etc. 5k

Skin of power damping - spells that have dice to roll deal minimum damage 3/day. 10k

Mantle of second chances - reroll a d20 once per day 12k

amulet of fortune prevailing - reroll save 1/day 5k

Sphere of awakening - awakens all within 60' burst.... Not enough? Removes all fatigue and exhaustion and makes them immune to said effects for 10 minutes. 1800g (too expensive? its as party item so split the cost )

Eternal wands are probably worth their own section if you are so inclined.

Just a few gems I have written down. Not exactly sure where you'll put them all and I'm sure one or two at least have already been mentioned.

All items without a listed book should be from the MIC
    Thanks for the list.

Most/some of them should find their way on to the miscellany list, when/if I get around to it one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    This should so be a Handbook!
    If I find my way over to the minmaxboards, sure.

Not going to happen until I really have this more or less completed, though. Maintaining threads on multiple forums is a real PitA.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Nice thread and good work!
    I like the idea of using cool magic stuff without relying on items considered being banned by the DM (like, belt of battle).

One thing I must disagree:

The comparion between the ring of spell-battle and the ging of greater counterspells.
    I consider the ring of greater counterspells as the better one between both of them.

Reasons:
    1) You have the advantage of the ususal, core ring of counterspells. So, you have one free, automatic counterspell if you charge the ring with dispel magic or greater dispel magic.
    2) The main ability of the ring of greater counterspells allows you to use a dispel effect similar to greater dispel magic.
    Sure, you must still succeed on a CL-check. But you can apply a greater dispel effect while the ring of spell-battle goes only up to CL 10 (it is limited to a normal dispel magic spell).

Sure, the ring of spell-battle is a bit more versatile since you can just decide to redirect the spell instead of countering it. And you succeed automatically.

The ability to identify any spell being cast is not that worthy, IMHO.
    Normally, as an arcane caster, you should accomplish in that discipline anyway.
    Furthermore, you would make use of arcane sight on a daily routine.
    At last,the ring of greater counterspells does not need any spellcraft check to identify the counterspelled spell.

Well, ideally, I would go so far and forge a perfect dispelling ring which consists of:
    ring of (greater) counterspells + spell-battle + enduring arcana.
    The costs are still managable and you would cover all your bases.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

How about a section for healing items like the Healing Belt? It seems like often times healing is ineffective due to any number of things and magic healing items come in very handy.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Lactantius - yes, the redirection ability of the Ring of Spell-Battle is the big seller. Countering a Dispel Magic by chucking it back at the caster is what makes it something unique. I don't think I've ever actually used the Dispel option of the item.

invaderk2 - huh. That's a rather universal need, yes. It's well documented elsewhere, but yes, it probably belongs.
    Hell, this is one place where magic item reliance is always mentioned as a replacement for the classes that offer the feature!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Is there a reason Celestial armor is left off the flight list?

It's not that pricey, provides decent armor for some classes, and grants flight once per day. I've found it to be pretty useful.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by d_m View Post
    Is there a reason Celestial armor is left off the flight list?

It's not that pricey, provides decent armor for some classes, and grants flight once per day. I've found it to be pretty useful.
    It's good armor for high dex types, but it's a really bad flight item. Standard action activation for 1/day Fly at CL 5 just isn't very competitive, even with the cheaper options.

(Also, I kind of forgot it had flight. )