New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Red Hand of Doom, DM Altarus (IC)

Nymm 1, 998YK
    Summer

It has been a few days since your meeting with Lhesh Haruuc in Rhukaan Draal, the capital of the Hobgoblin nation. From him, you have received your mission; to secretly investigate and sabotage the renegade Hobgoblin army. After signing the contract stipulation the terms of agreement, the Hobgoblin leader gave you travelling papers and sufficient money for transportation to your destiantion; Marketplace in Aundair.

From Rhukaan Draal, you hitched a ride on caravan under the protection of the House Deneith towards the Brelish fortress of Strengate. From Sterngate, you rode Lightning Rail to Marketplace.

The ride on the Lightning Rail was, relatively peaceful, to say the least...

From Marketplace, you began your trek towards Fort Light, a Thrane outpost located near the borders of Aundair and Breland. It is here where the information states that the Hobgoblin Army is currently heading.

It is now a few hours after sunrise, the weather is sunny with no clouds. The trail, slightly used, leads you through small forest which provides a modicum of comfort from the blazing summer heat. Everything so far has been uneventful.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to talk about possible things which may have happened on the train ride in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by Altarus; 2011-03-02 at 11:45 AM.
    "The moon tonight is red. You will know death."
    - Remilia Scarlet

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom, DM Altarus (IC)

Grek clanks through the forest, visor up, breathing heavy. The heat didn't bother him much, Droaam had been far worse, but traveling long distance in heavy plate was exhausting. "They can make a wagon that runs on lightning, but they can't make platemail that breathes," he grumbles, gripping a sapling and leaning on it so heavily it began to bend. The pebbles under his foot suddenly shift and he falls, twisting to land on his backside. Had the tree not snapped, it would almost have been graceful.

"That's it, ten minute break," he says, leaning on the base of the sapling and pulling off the helmet. "And next village we stop at, we get horses."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Trying (and failing) to hid the myrth, that Adilex feels at his orcish compaion predicament, the half-elf trecks lightly. He silently thanks his ancestors for having the foresight, to forget about heavier armours and sticking with the light mithral chain he is currently wearing.

With all due respect, sir. It is your own fault for wearing the fullplate, when you well knew he would most likely have to walk for a few miles at the least. Hearing his orcish companion calling for a break, Adilex stops and start doing light stretches. After finishing them he takes a long sip from his waterskin.

Ahhh, that was just what I needed.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #4

PaladinGuy

"Walk a few miles into hobgoblin country," Grek replies, digging into his own backpack. "I'll take a few hours of discomfort over hobgoblin-aided-amputation any day." Grek mentally went over what they had been told. It should be a fairly simple job: go in, demoralize the hobgoblins, rally the valley inhabitants, go home. Somehow, he suspected, it would go very, very wrong at some point. And probably very quickly as well.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Lhesh Haruuk did say it was an army; but I don't think it will be bigger than a small warband at most.
    Just call me Dusk

6. - Top - End - #6

PaladinGuy

"Considering how dangerous a small group of mercenaries can be, I wouldn't underestimate a 'small warband'." Grek says, finding his waterskin and taking a sip. "Either way, it's worth the platemail."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Mind's Edge makes a rasping noise as if to laugh.

Well sir, at least you can actually feel yourself fall over, every time I fall I either don't know how I fell or for all I know I could walk off a cliff and not notice except for the dents.
    I found the trip as boring as you did. Why couldn't we walk trhough some Hobgoblin terrortry? At least we wouldn't get bored.

He then manifests a double scimitar and throws it as far as he can into teh distance.
    It hits the ground with a dull thud and dissapears, reappearing into Mind's hand with an awkward three-fingered grasp.
    It puts him off balance and he then falls backwards with his back in a strange position.
    Last edited by Hazzardevil; 2011-03-04 at 03:25 AM.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

What was the point of doing that? Alban asks the living automaton. Yes your weapon disappears, whoo. He laughs. Guess what, the Truth has shown me the how and why of teleporting, but I don't sit around showing it off.
    Grek, who forged your armor?
    He looks down at his own chain hauberk peeking out under a loose surcoat. It's a bit heavier than I prefer, but it's got some nice lines to it, never mind how smooth the articulations look.

Spoiler
    Show

spot(perception) check: (1d20+5)[11]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grendus View Post
    "Considering how dangerous a small group of mercenaries can be, I wouldn't underestimate a 'small warband'.[/COLOR]"
    I beg to dif...
    Adilex starts to answer; but as then he remembers how dangerous he and his companions are...
    ...never mind

He watches amusedly the warforged antics, somewhat impressed by the living golem's ability to create weapons from his mind.

Oi! Mind's Edge, I am sure it is nice to be able to do that; but we are in enemy territory, so we should keep the ruckus to a minimum. Don't you agree?
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2011-03-04 at 03:58 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Just trying to pass the boredom, After having to march for a whole month to a battle with the war over when I got there I hate long marchs.
    And that isn't teleportation, it's just me manifesting it and then letting it fall apart
    My extended signature.
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

11. - Top - End - #11

PaladinGuy

"The style is dwarven make, but the smith who forged it was human" Grek says. "The dwarves call it 'heavy plate', which is their medium platemail between 'battle plate' and 'mountain plate'. House Cannith made up a few hundred suits for Breland during the war, mostly for captains and generals, but outside of open combat it's too heavy. No need for it in peacetime, you know, so I picked it up for a steal and had it resized and enchanted."

He shrugs, feeling the plates roll smoothly over each other. "It's not really a problem in combat, though I suppose for a warrior with more finesse would struggle with it. I've always preferred brawn to agility, probably on account of my orcish heritage."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Agility? That's a laugh. Proving his point, Cardaz actually does laugh. Perhaps the first time in the long journey you can remember the red maned warrior laughing. Nah, I learned to trust the in Truth of Steel, as well as the magics I've learned to keep myself safe. At the same time, my strong arms and the Truth of Steel lets me kill my enemies.
    But for a rework, from a dwarf sized suit to something made for a real person, that's outstanding work.

13. - Top - End - #13

PaladinGuy

Grek nods, picking up his helmet as the stated 10 minutes came close to expiring. "I believe the suit was made for a human, actually. Fairly large, though small by orcish, or even half-orcish standards." He stands, turning to his companions, and takes a sip of his waterskin before putting it back in his backpack. "With some luck, we'll reach our destination by nightfall. Let's head out."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Adilex springs up from his resting spot, refreshed enough to continue the trip.
    By nightfall?.. I bet we can get there sooner
    Just call me Dusk

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Cardaz, were you able to see the last Airbone race, back at Sharn? I had my money on that griffon, but the stupid gargoyle knocked it out of the air. Adilex comments,a bit uncomfortable with the silence that fell on the group.
    Just call me Dusk

16. - Top - End - #16

PaladinGuy

"I told you not to bet against the flying rock," Grek says. "Anything that big that can still fly has an edge on something."
    Last edited by Grendus; 2011-03-18 at 05:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grendus View Post
    "I told you not to bet against the flying rock," Grek says. "Anything that big that can still fly has an edge on something."
    I tell you,the gargoyle was a cheater
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2011-03-18 at 07:51 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Alban

I was betting on the owl personally, always have. I'd heard they might end up doing this last race at night. Owl would've been a shoo-in. Instead... Alban doesn't finish the thought, but you can tell he's angry.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Alban

I was betting on the owl personally, always have. I'd heard they might end up doing this last race at night. Owl would've been a shoo-in. Instead... Alban doesn't finish the thought, but you can tell he's angry.
    The owl really?... that definitely wouldn't be my choice but what ever.
    Just call me Dusk

20. - Top - End - #20

PaladinGuy

"I heard the same thing, but I thought the gargoyle could see in the dark so I didn't worry about it. Then again, I didn't bet, so I shouldn't throw stones. But I figured the gargoyle would win, I just don't wager money before a campaign. Never know when you'll need the money to buy a potion of healing or a scroll of remove curse or something."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Alban,
    Meh, a few copper pieces lost won't hurt me. The way to clean on the races is actually betting on second and third place. Alban nods knowingly.
    Everyone finds reasons to justify why their favorite so and so will win, that they never really think of who the best flier is. So their bets are just wild guesses. He grins. Won enough betting on third place that it would've covered losing second and first. Winning second and third however, covered the cost of a ticket to watch the finish, and losing for first.
    Next year however, I'll have time to find out how consistent the contenders were on their other races over the year. I'll break the bookies by the end of the race season.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't matter to me but I was betting on the wingwyrd.
    I betted on it and just watched it fly. Did well and would tied with the gargoyle if it hadn't been knocked out the spy early in the race.
    My extended signature.