New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weirdest Movies

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Weirdest Movies

I was doing some surfing around the web, and found what may be the weirdest movie ever made. It's called What is it? and from watching reviews and trailers it looks just, impossible to comprehend. It was subsequently added to my top 5 weirdest movies. This is the basic list.

1.What is it?
    2. End of Evangelion
    3. Eraserhead
    4. Primer (the last 15 minutes)
    5. The Dreamers (This may have just been the circumstances of viewing)

Narrowly edged out was Evil Dead 2, 2001, this movie, and Dead Leaves. What are the weirdest or just most insane films you've ever seen?
    Last edited by Dumbledore lives; 2011-07-10 at 08:40 PM.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Weirdest Movies

A friend once gave me a Japanese movie called Survive Style 5+. It's definitely weird. It's about... let's see. An artist who tries to kill his apparently invulnerable wife every night. Gay Yakuza wannabes. An English hitman and his interpreter. A hypnotist and the businessman he has hypnotized to think he's a bird. And... other things. You probably have to watch it.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    I was doing some surfing around the web, and found what may be the weirdest movie ever made. It's called What is it? and from watching reviews and trailers it looks just, impossible to comprehend. It was subsequently added to my top 5 weirdest movies. This is the basic list.
    Oancitizen reviewed that movie. Not only is it incredibly weird, but also incredibly offensive and overall terrible.

The weirdest movie I've personally seen is probably Pi. It's to math what Primer (which I haven't seen) is to physics, only more comprehensible and with heaps of symbolism added to compensate.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The weirdest bad movie I've ever seen has to be a Japanese... thing called Alien vs Ninja. Sounds awesome, but is just awfully werid. The weirdest good movie is definitely Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

5. - Top - End - #5

ElfRogueGirl

Hmm weirdest movies I've ever seen.. I don't watch movies or TV that much but lets see.. in no particular order:

Mirrormask
    Donnie Darko
    Brotherhood of the wolf
    the Matrix (awesome.. but lets face it, it's weird.)

... and that's all I have and the second two aren't even THAT weird... just strange.

6. - Top - End - #6

Zardoz. Trippy as heck.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Best weird movie I've seen is Being John Malkovich, the plot is inane, goes on random tangents, character develop traits seemingly haphazardly, oh and also has this scene.

Yet somehow it all works.

Also Donnie Darko is a good one.

8. - Top - End - #8

I'd say Hopital Brut. Warning, that video's kind of frightening.
    Haven't seen more than that sample, but can't think of many others.

Hmmmm, would people consider Brazil strange?

EDIT: How could I forget Robogeisha?
    Last edited by Science Officer; 2011-07-11 at 01:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NikitaDarkstar View Post
    Hmm weirdest movies I've ever seen.. I don't watch movies or TV that much but lets see.. in no particular order:

Mirrormask
    Donnie Darko
    Brotherhood of the wolf
    the Matrix (awesome.. but lets face it, it's weird.)

... and that's all I have and the second two aren't even THAT weird... just strange.
    The Matrix isn't weird. It's Alice in Wonderland+random episode of the Twilight Zone+slow motion+BOOM! BANG! KABOOM! BANG! BANG! How could that be weird?

Also, that one Raggedy Ann animated film and the Adventurers of Mark Twain.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Southland Tales. Watch it and wonder!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post
    EDIT: How could I forget Robogeisha?
    Geisha Transform!
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    Southland Tales. Watch it and wonder!
    Seconded. So much.
    Truth resists simplicity.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

2001: A Space Odyssey makes little sense if you don't read the book, something I consider somewhat a failing. Still, I enjoyed the book, even though I disagreed with many of the concepts, and the film remains visually spectacular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    2001: A Space Odyssey makes little sense if you don't read the book, something I consider somewhat a failing. Still, I enjoyed the book, even though I disagreed with many of the concepts, and the film remains visually spectacular.
    What's not to understand about the film? The magic rectangle made the monkeys smart, traveled to the moon, the talking microwave turned evil, and what's-his-name became a big-headed baby.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    What's not to understand about the film? The magic rectangle made the monkeys smart, traveled to the moon, the talking microwave turned evil, and what's-his-name became a big-headed baby.
    Don't forget learning that docking sequences take about 20 minutes and are always accompanied by rousing classical music.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Don't forget learning that docking sequences take about 20 minutes and are always accompanied by rousing classical music.
    Right. Classic music always makes things better. That's why he uses it in a lot of his movies. Just look at A Clockwork Orange.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

If by weird you simply mean non-standard (and not bad or stupid) then Tree of Life is certainly the weirdest film I've ever seen. I've seen a LOT of movies and I've never, in all of my days, seen a film even remotely like this. It was closer to poetry than it was to anything I understand as film. So completely outside the box was this film that I'm not even certain how I feel about it. It seems outside of my opinion of it, somehow.

It did, however, prompt me to purchase all of Terrence Malick's other films (all four of them - two of them in Criterion editions). And my cinematic education was increased thereby. And Days of Heaven, as it turns out, is a work of absolute, undiluted, undeniable, genius. So there you go.

But still. Tree of Life. ODD.

Also, I second Being John Malkovich. So good. So odd. Anything along the Spike Jonze, Charlie Kaufman axis is brilliantly off the beaten track, actually. Adaptation. [sic] may be the greatest screenplay ever written. It's certainly among the greatest.

Also, also, Bubba Ho-Tep. You want weird? How about Elvis and JFK (played by Ossie Davis, they dyed him after they faked his death you see) in an old age home battling an ancient mummy-ghost-cowboy who sucks people's life force from their anus(es)? That's value for your weird dollar.

And also also also Dillinger is Dead, Marco Ferrari's epic demented masterpiece. This guy is SO strange that most of his films haven't even been translated into English. It's possible the film isn't even meant to be understood. And if that was his goal, then mission accomplished.

And lastly, anything by this guy. He's so badass I can't even stand it. I want to be him when I grow up. That he continued to secure funding for his films is testament to the infinite power of wacky.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, the weirdest movie I've ever seen period is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Nevertheless, aside from a few scenes I hated that movie, because I hate movies that are weird for the sake of being weird.

The weirdest movie I've seen that was nevertheless good was Bubba Ho-Tep. For those of you who haven't seen it, let me summarize the plot of the movie in one sentence: a man called Sebastian Haff, who might be the real living Elvis Aaron Presley, or might just be an retired Elvis impersonator who has become confused in his old age, teams up with a black man convinced he's post-gunshot JFK to save his decrepit East Texas rest home from a soul-sucking mummy. Really. And for all that, this is a movie that works on multiple levels: it is at once a brilliant satire on action movies, a wickedly-sharp black comedy and a heartbreaking portrayal of a man who clings to the thought that he really is Elvis in no small part because that's the only respect he's allowed as an old poor man without any family or relatives. And it has one of the greatest scores of any movie in cinematic history.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by McStabbington View Post
    Well, the weirdest movie I've ever seen period is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Nevertheless, aside from a few scenes I hated that movie, because I hate movies that are weird for the sake of being weird.
    It was weird for the sake of making a stylistic point about American excess/ugliness. I used to feel the same way about it as you did, but the more you watch it (and watching with friends helps), the better it gets. At least, that is the consensus among the people I know.

Weirdest movies thread needs more Czechoslovakian Alice in Wonderland in the form of Alice.

Also, Repo! The Genetic Opera.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Tetsuo: The Iron Man.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

You people have such low tolerances for weirdness.

I counter the End of Evangelion with The Adolescence of Utena.

I counter almost everything else on the list with The Mirror, by Tarkovsky.

Mulholland Drive gets pretty darn weird. Then again, it makes significantly more sense than The Mirror. (I would mention Eraserhead if I had seen it. I haven't. Yet.)

Oh, watch Un Chen Andalou. Weirdness goes back even to the silent film era.

Weekend is pretty weird, in the fact that it is the antithesis of every filmic trope imaginable. "The end of cinema" indeed... The worst thing about Weekend? I enjoy it more every time I watch it. This frightens me.

Repulsion is less weird than those, but weirder than something like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
    Last edited by 0Megabyte; 2011-07-11 at 09:05 PM.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Feh. Iron Man is weirder than most of the ones on your list, and if those aren't enough I'll throw in Bullet Man and BodyHammer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Have you seen Weekend?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 0Megabyte View Post
    Have you seen Weekend?
    That's the one where the couple car breaks down and they keep running into weird groups, that ends with cannibalism, right? The one with the...odd...traffic scene?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

We have a winner for understatement here, but yes.

Incidentally, you posted your choice at the same minute I made my post. Yours hadn't been mentioned, and I wasn't referring to yours when I posted: Stuff like the End of Eva, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, those were the sorts of things I was referring to.

I have no clue how weird yours is. But it has to be pretty weird to top Weekend, or The Mirror for that matter, which is both a nicer movie and much weirder than Weekend.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I know we posted at the same time, but I still had to make a joke. To give you some idea though, film buffs who saw it compared it to eraserhead.

It also helped invent/reinvent the modern version of Body Horror.

And that's before getting into the oddity of the storytelling style.
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2011-07-11 at 09:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Well, if anything is going to beat the movies I mentioned, that might be the one. I'll have to see it next time I'm in the mood for something truly weird!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

You should. It's worth a watch whatever else it might be. And though the american release is out of print, it's not too hard to find.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Had one when I was little called the Elm-Chanted Forest. It's a Yugoslavian animated film, and one of the odder contributors to my childhood. Recap from memory.

Spoiler
    Show
    A painter goes into a forest to (badly) paint things, and sleeps under an enchanted elm tree. A weird anthropomorphic burr creature who cannot speak without shouting at the top of his lungs announces that this event is somehow significant, and when the painter wakes up he can talk to animals and make his paintings come to life.

But the forest is ruled by an evil cactus(!) who hates beavers(!!). He wants to destroy everything by having his army of anthropomorphic axes cut it down. Nothing seems to be stopping him from saying "Army of anthropomorphic axes, cut the forest down", but somehow the existence of this painter is wrecking his plans.

Painter-dude meets "J. Edgar Beaver", a football playing bear, a trio of cutesy young hedgehogs, an over-sexualized fox, and "Thistle", a crummy wizard who works for the cactus but switches teams because why the hell not.

After all the good guys have a trippy musical number, Cactus King tricks an anthropomorphic flame into setting the forest on fire, and Painter immediately forgives it because it allows them to deliver a message on fire safety to the audience. Then an even more trippy musical number introduces some frog-like guy who rules a swamp. Cactus (I think his name is Spine) likewise tricks him into flooding the forest.

Painter decides at this point that the reason Spine is so evil is that he is frustrated because he is a cactus who has never had flowers grow on him. Seriously, he just announces this as the only possible explanation, and everyone else glances at the running time of the film and figures he must be right. Thistle starts whipping up a "make flowers grow on the king" potion, but Painter-Guy falls down a hole.

What follows is the trippiest thing yet. He awakes in a cave filled with anthropomorphic mushrooms, some of whom appear to be wearing blackface. They announce that they are going to turn him into a mushroom as well, and sing a psychedelic musical number while a mushroom version of Michael Jackson or maybe Prince breakdances. They even grow fangs at one point.

Painter gets rescued by a snail, and joins the others who he is losing the ability to speak to. They sneak into Spine's castle, pour the potion down his throat, and he turns pink and nice and flowery. Painter is sad he has to leave his friends now (apparently sleeping under the tree again is somehow not an option), and departs.

This is just...off. I watched it all the time as a kid, and if you are interested the entire is split into parts on Youtube. At the very least watch the mushroom dance. Weirded me the heck out when I was younger.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2011-07-11 at 10:11 PM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

couldnt tell you what i think of 2001...never been able to get through the movie awake
    soooooooooooooooo booooooooorrrrrrrrriiiiiiinnnnnnngggggggggg
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar