New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Ways to get Bardic Music?

Other than taking a level bard. If it takes up a class level make sure it is one that can advance sorcerer wizard or it will be useless to me, so close to finishing this character :) Thanks Gtip. Oh and if you want to know why I want Bardic Music, it's because I wanna use snowflake wardance with my yoda. Please mention where you found the source as well as any other nifty abilities it might give me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ways to get Bardic Music?

Virtuoso gives Bardic Music without requiring anything Bard specific iirc. Advances spellcasting too.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #3

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Virtuoso gives Bardic Music without requiring anything Bard specific iirc. Advances spellcasting too.
    One level dip is okay. But it doesn't progress casting and doesn't have a BAB. These are two things I would like, but the casting progression is almost a must.
    Last edited by Aemoh87; 2011-04-15 at 09:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aemoh87 View Post
    One level dip is okay. But it doesn't progress casting and doesn't have a BAB. These are two things I would like, but the casting progression is almost a must.
    Hmm? What Virtuoso are you looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #5

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Hmm? What Virtuoso are you looking at?
    Complete adventurer? Is there more than one or an errata I need to look at?
    Last edited by Aemoh87; 2011-04-15 at 10:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Complete adventurer? Is there more than one or an errata I need to look at?
    Nope, you are right. The 3.5 Virtuoso doesn't start advancing spellcasting until its second level. The 3.0 Virtuoso, in Song and Silence, started at level 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

The one in complete adventurer has 9/10 casting progression just on the table.

edit: And half BAB for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Nope, you are right. The 3.5 Virtuoso doesn't start advancing spellcasting until its second level. The 3.0 Virtuoso, in Song and Silence, started at level 1.
    No, he's wrong, as he said that it doesn't have any BAB and doesn't progress casting at all.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-04-15 at 10:34 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

List of Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bardic Music - (any prestige that grants bardic music also stacks with bard levels for number of uses per day)
    Bard
    Virtuoso 1, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer
    Fochlucan Lyrist 1, ecl 11, Complete Adventurer
    Dragonsong Lyrist 1, ecl 8, Draconomicon, functions like bardic music but different name, does not stack
    Warrior Skald 1, ecl 6, Races of Faerun
    Spellsinger 1, ecl 6, Races of Faerun
    Troubadour of Stars 1, ecl ?, Book of Exalted Deeds

stacks for bardic music uses per day
    Seeker of the Song, ecl 11, Complete Arcane
    Sublime Chord, ecl 11, Complete Arcane, add only half level
    Fochlucan Lyrist , ecl 11, Complete Adventurer
    War Chanter, ecl 6 (maybe 5), Complete Warrior
    Dawncaller, ecl 7, Races of Stone
    Dirgesinger, ecl 6, Libris Mortis
    Stormsinger, ecl 6, Frostburn
    Lyric Thaumaturge, ecl 7, Complete Mage

special mention
    Extra Music, feat, Complete Adventurer, 4 extra uses
    Harmonius Knight paladin sub level (Champion of Valor; web enhancement) grants inspire courage, but not as a bardic ability
    Initiate of Milil, feat, Champions of Valor, lets you stack bard/cleric/paladin levels to determine what kind of music you have
    Initiate of Hlal, feat, Dragon Magic, gain one additional use of bardic music if you already have it
    Divine Prankster, ecl 6, Races of Stone, uses bardic music to fuel "Comedic Performance" which has effects similar to bardic music
    The Artist, regional feat, Player's Guide to Faerun, 3 extra bardic music uses
    Evangelist, ecl 6, Complete Divine, stacks for strength of bard songs, see text
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

9. - Top - End - #9

AssassinGuy

This has some options, but I am off to work so I will read it later. And to be more specific I am looking for an easy way to get it. Not a character defining railroad :)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Well, considering the List of Stuff has just about ALL of the options, including the easy ones, if its not there, it doesn't exist. I dunno how that indicates character railroading. Choose the one that best suits your desired path, or don't choose any and forgo the ability. Nobody is gonna railroad you to do anything, just laying out the options available.

Unless you homebrew something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

No, he's wrong, as he said that it doesn't have any BAB and doesn't progress casting at all.
    I think he meant just the first level, which doesn't give casting and has BAB +0.

12. - Top - End - #12

AssassinGuy

Well, considering the List of Stuff has just about ALL of the options, including the easy ones, if its not there, it doesn't exist. I dunno how that indicates character railroading. Choose the one that best suits your desired path, or don't choose any and forgo the ability. Nobody is gonna railroad you to do anything, just laying out the options available.

Unless you homebrew something...
    I meant railroading like taking control of my characters levels to get, not just a dip.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

For reaching cheese, I just came across the spell Protege (CAdv p. 155). Permanency, Extend, Persist?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

How about the Prestige Bard?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/cl...m#prestigeBard

Full set of bardic abilities, and still does a decent job of increasing the casting abilities of your prior arcane spellcasting class.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Heartfire Fanner, Dragon 314. It's a 5 level class, with full spellcasting advancement, that requires Negotiator and Skill Focus (perform) along with 10 ranks in Perform and Diplomacy. If you had no previous Bard levels upon entering, you gain all Bardic Music as a 5th level Bard, including uses/day.

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stainboy View Post
    I think he meant just the first level, which doesn't give casting and has BAB +0.
    Except that wouldn't really make sense, since he said it was fine for a 1 level dip, but nothing further since it didn't progress casting. When the 9 other levels all do progress casting... and actually feature in a number of the higher-powered Bard+Sublime Chord builds for finishing up the build. So I was a bit consternated.

Aemoh87: That's a really weird use of the term railroading. Most builds do require a character path to be decided upon in advance in order to deliver what is wanted by the player anyway. So being shown your options isn't really railroading, especially since it's giving you options that you might not have already known about. As opposed to the usual meaning which is no options whatsoever because the DM wants one to progress in a certain limited way.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Well, considering the List of Stuff has just about ALL of the options, including the easy ones, if its not there, it doesn't exist. ...
    Odd that it doesn't contain Prestige Bard then ?
    Don't get me wrong - its a good and useful resource - but it doesn't contain everything.

As for the OP's question: Prestige Bard does not advance spellcasting at level 1 either.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Odd that it doesn't contain Prestige Bard then ?
    Don't get me wrong - its a good and useful resource - but it doesn't contain everything.
    It shouldn't. Those alternate rules are, according to their own description, replacements; in a campaign where Bard is a prestige class, it is not also a base class, and so the prestige version technically isn't an alternate way to get Bardic Music.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Being a Firre Eladrin (BoED) might do the trick.

If you're an outsider, Polymorph + Assume Supernatural Ability (SS) or Metamorphic Transfer (XPH) gets you there, otherwise Shapechange.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

20. - Top - End - #20

AssassinGuy

Except that wouldn't really make sense, since he said it was fine for a 1 level dip, but nothing further since it didn't progress casting. When the 9 other levels all do progress casting... and actually feature in a number of the higher-powered Bard+Sublime Chord builds for finishing up the build. So I was a bit consternated.

Aemoh87: That's a really weird use of the term railroading. Most builds do require a character path to be decided upon in advance in order to deliver what is wanted by the player anyway. So being shown your options isn't really railroading, especially since it's giving you options that you might not have already known about. As opposed to the usual meaning which is no options whatsoever because the DM wants one to progress in a certain limited way.
    Indeed they do, but my character already has a definite path, but at higher level has some free space to kick around. And I thought Snowflake war dance would be cool since this is a charisma character.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Unless you get several levels in a class that grants bardic music and/or extra music you probably won't have enough uses to make it worth it.

22. - Top - End - #22

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Unless you get several levels in a class that grants bardic music and/or extra music you probably won't have enough uses to make it worth it.
    With extra music it should be fine.

23. - Top - End - #23

Waste of a feat and class levels. There are many better things you can be doing with Charisma, like Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows (CHA to damage) or one of the many ways to have CHA to AC. The list for that is not 100% accurate, but most of the stuff is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #24

AssassinGuy

I have a high AC and Cha to my AC as well. But I need more damage. Slippers of Battle Dancing are nice, but I may want to put my money elsewhere.

25. - Top - End - #25

Except for, you know, how Snowflake Wardance doesn't give you a damage bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

26. - Top - End - #26

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Except for, you know, how Snowflake Wardance doesn't give you a damage bonus.
    I didn't notice that, I just had a friend tell me about it. Very solid point. I am just messing around with this build right now but I am glad that was caught early.