New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who (again) [SPOILERS]

For that you have to remember that we were treated to her trying to activate it before and it saying she could not, I don't remember if it specifically said because she needed to be human. But Rory didn't know this, he did not really have any reason other than paranoia to think of that since he did not know how the machine worked or that it had stopped her before.

The extra info we have in this case is vital to working it out there.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raddish View Post
    For that you have to remember that we were treated to her trying to activate it before and it saying she could not, I don't remember if it specifically said because she needed to be human. But Rory didn't know this, he did not really have any reason other than paranoia to think of that since he did not know how the machine worked or that it had stopped her before.

The extra info we have in this case is vital to working it out there.
    Well, slightly but I guess a more genre savy person would have been wondering why they took his hand and pressed it on there instead of using her own hand. And it said 'human recignized' or something to that extent. I'm not really blaming him, he was confused, he saw the other fake!Jen melt earlier, he was stressed, etc, it's just that... well, he could have.

Also, I need to have another look because iof that screwdriver thing everyone complains about... but no time right now.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yeah, mostly. Though, Donna also was pretty much an equal to Ten. They... didn't really were friends though, they were little much of anything, I guess. I always kept wondering why they stuck together like they did but meh.
    But yeah, Rory is awesome, most of the time. Except when he i a bit dumb and doesn't wonder why the fake!Jen uses his hand for the human recognition panel or whatever you want to call it. Okay, I was tripped of a bit too with the Jen. Whatever.
    To be perfectly honest, the second Jen was completely out of left field - who would have expected a ganger could produce a duplicate of herself, or would. The second Jen was definitely a ganger (besides her death, she made a point of displaying her ganger face to bring home that point), and by process of elimination that meant that the remaining Jen was human. An easy mistake to make. Everybody in the series makes assumptions that turn out to be wrong sooner or later, and nobody does it more often than the Doctor.

As for Donna, she's the best companion from the RTD era by a wide margin. She's actually the ideal companion in many ways: smart, ballsy, and unrelenting, yet also compassionate and fascinated with it all. Most critical are her motivations: she was not in love with the Doctor in any romantic sense (she admitted he was pretty on occasion, but then it is Tennant she's talking about), she just wants to see all of time and space for the sake of the experience and the adventure. She was the only RTD companion to be close to the Doctor's equal, and that's something I think he'd sorely been missing for a long time before that. They stuck together because they each gave the other person exactly what they needed: Donna hungered for the appreciation of a mentor, while the Doctor needed more than a tourist or a girlfriend, he needed a true companion.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Juggling Goth View Post
    That was... annoying.

Spoiler
    Show

Speaking of medical stuff, this is a problem with all sci-fi, but when is a future/alien civilisation gonna figure out that lying on your back is the worst position possible for giving birth, short of actually standing on your head?

Spoiler
    Show

Probably when we truly realize that and stop doing it. Ah, well.

Last edited by Eiremauve; 2011-06-01 at 01:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eiremauve View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Probably when we truly realize that and stop doing it. Ah, well.

Actually, I don't think they do that anymore in real life. It is just TV that is confused.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Nu Who Trek continues. And now, to boldly go where many have gone before. [*cue TNG theme (I love that theme song so much)*]

'42' (Season Three, Episode Seven)
    Same format as before.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know, there's just something so triumphantly happy about the TNG theme. It fits the show. And I do think this season's Doctor Who theme is very fitting, I've just listened to all of them, and I can't really so one is better or worse than the others. Although Three's first theme has a really twangy electric wobbleboard or a jewharp thing; but it also introduces the scream! It's not changed all that much has it. Four's second theme is very good. Seven's is probably my least favourite. Nine's is very good, so Ten's (but not as much), and Eleven's is quite electro-rock.
    I think it's the wee-oos and the scream that make the theme. Very eerie.
    Now that I've wasted your time musing on theme songs, llet's hit the episode proper.

Ten fixes up MtM's phone. They receive a distress signal from . . . somewhere, and the Doctor uses his foot to folllow it!
    Whereever they are is hot! Even though the cooling system is working full tilt. MtM strips. They leave the hot room, and it is cooler in the corridors. People! The lady screams "Get out of there!" and a dude says "Seal that door! Now!"
    The typical questions are asked, who are you? What you doing in my ship?. To which Ten says "Thought you'd be pleased." and MtM adds, "We got your distress signal." But the Doctor's already rocketed off on a different thought. This is a ship. So why are the engines dead? I don't know. Geostationary orbit would probably require minimal engine effort or something right? I know my Treknobabble.
    (The audio for this episode is really quiet or indistinct for some reason, I'm going to be mishearing things a lot and/or replaying seconds over and over endlessly.)
    Okay, four minutes ago the engines died. From the Dude's face (01.22 - such an amusing face, glad I caught that) this is a Bad Thing and they'd better get the engines started up again.
    The ship's computer (I'm gonna call her Majel; cookie for obvious reference) then initiates a "secure closure" and another lady runs in. Title drop! Majel: "Impact projection: forty-two minutes, twenty-seven seconds." The episode is forty-five minutes, twenty-nine seconds long, so minus the intro and outro, and the 01.50 of the episode so far we have . . . what do you know. A real time episode. Cool.
    MtM shouts "Doctor! Look!" See, they're going to crash into the sun soon. The choral music swells, and the sun is gloriously done CGI. I think we've found our Best Special Effect of the episode.
    CREDITS! *rocks out*
    Pausing for a second on the title card, we find out the episode is called '2442' and is by Chris Chibnall.
    Hummmm. Wasn't there a series called 24? Which had twenty-four episodes a season? And each episode lasted an hour? And involved Jack Bauer beating people to a pulp? There were terrorists and a daughter involved as well perhaps. So what, the Doctor's going to be beating up some terrorists (or CrAzY sEnTiEnT computer systems) to find out where his extremely not-love interest is?
    Is there going to be a little counter in the bottom corner irritatingly beeping down during every scene cut?
    Seven people on board, everything's automatic; Ten's first instinct is the TARDIS. The Doctor opens the door to the "vent chamber" (where the TARDIS is) and we get our first bit of Impossible Science! He gets a jet blast of super-heated air to the face! Without dying or being injured in any way! I say this because immediately after he's knocked over we're told "it's lava" and the temp is "up 3000 degrees in ten seconds and still rising".
    We have a counter! Voiced by Majel.
    Dude. Engineering's a right proper mess; it's sabotage! Right peeps. We have a whole plot reference going on down here. If I only knew 24.
    It's the Taraji system (don't even ask me how to spell it), the Doctor's suddenly perky and pleased despite having forty minutes to fix an absolutely shattered engine and things that do navigation and stuff.
    Apparently "energy scoops" (what they're using) are "outlawed". Cue some awkward looks and being told they're upgrading next stop. I'm guessing they're smugglers doing Illegal Things In An Illegal Way.
    Update: everything's trashed. And the auxiliaries are at the other end of the ship; which is something they can't reach in time. And the door override passwords are randomly generated so they can't force their way through sealed closure.
    Until this dude called Rani. Rani. Isn't The Rani the name of a Time Lady from Classic Who? because I totally remember reading something on TVTropes about a lady called The Rani who steals Romana's body for her regeneration. But this dude is a dude, and probably not a Time Lord, and he's also a computer hacker! So he starts hacking. Poor guy. Got a lady's name. Better than Hillary though. Hey, wouldn't it be cool if The Rani came back and this is a names the same hint towards it?
    Unpausing, there's some banter and MtM wonder off the Rani. Ashton contacts the rest, saying "Get up to the medcentre now".
    Majel: Thirty-four to go.
    Some other dude is writhing in sickbay saying something is "burning me" and he won't open his eyes. "Don't make me look at you. Please!" The Doctor then jabs this dude with a hypospray, sedating him, then recommending he goes into stasis because his body temperature's rising. Which is bad.
    You know, I'm glad they didn't look in his eyes, because when a dude says not to look in his eyes, something is wrong.
    This is an infection. Hee~! Another allons-y.
    And then they do some running.
    But the sedated dude is waking up! [Majel: Impact in thirty-two fifty]
    Sadly, we're with MtM and Rani. They're basically answering a pub quiz the crew made up when they were hammered. Not exactly the soundest form of security is it? There's only one chance per door.
    The sedated dude is called Corwin? Callwin? And the Doctor is called Abby. And Corwin is waking up.
    That - what? Happy numbers? What kind of drunk loonies are these who do mathematical thingies like that when they're drunk? Some pub quiz. Actually, it's a pretty good one. Anyway, the Doctor knows the answer! Keep going, three doors down, twenty-seven to go. Still, got to love this line Ten says: "Don't they teach you Recreational Mathematics?" - well, recreational implies recreation time.
    Anyway, "Martha, they may be something else aboard this ship." She reacts like a gorm (check out that face at 09.26) and squeaks "What?!" MtM, you heard him. Alien. On this ship. Not meant to be here. Now move. Now.
    Half an hour to go.
    Hehe. This is awesome question: CLASSICAL MUSIC: "Who had the most pre-download number ones: Elvis or the Bee-atles?" Good thing we have a twenty-first century girl there. Just guessing while the video's paused: Elvis. Because my Littlest Brother has an album of Elvis' Number Ones with about thirty-three tracks on it.
    Martha doesn't know.
    You know what I'm going to say: MORON.
    Still, I suppose she could just be double-checking because there are nine people on board.
    Hey.
    HEY!
    This is like 'The Long Game' with The Weakest Link and the Anne-droid.
    But they're cheating, asking for help from the other's down in Engineering.
    And while I'm moaning. What's about with Martha's voice. She doesn't say Doctor, but DoctAH! I don't like it.
    The Doctor doesn't know. "I am a bit busy." They're jumpstarting the ship with generators, and the longer-haired lady says "It's brilliant."
    Huh. MtM's using the superphone to call her mum. To look up something on the internet, and she screams at her mother. "JUST DO IT WILL YOU!" And in the background we have th - I keep wanting to write The Rani. We have Rani look shocked. Genuinely appalled. MtRudeM looks around, huffs embarrassedly and then says contritely, "Please."
    I love British people. There's never a time for rudeness. Not even when you're dying of heat. Mum complains (quite justly given the circumstances from her end (because me, being British, also believes there's never a time for rudeness. Usually.)) "When did you get to be so rude?" She has a point. My mother would cuss me out angrily for something like that. Especially without explaining the circumstances.
    But being a mother, she does as her daughter asks.
    "Using your mobile is cheating." Trufax.
    Corwin's body is mutating. Also he's moving around despite being sedated. Luckily, - ah, Hell with it, I can't remember her name. McCoy's a clever cookie, and she request "urgent assistance" in Medbay. Ten runs to her.
    "Burn with me" reverberates throughout the entire ship. And then Corwin opens his eyes. He has becomes Cyclops. And McCoy's dying screams of pain also ring throughout the ship. And MtRM hangs up.
    McCoy is now a shadow burnt into a piece of metal. Including hairstyle.
    Corwin's body temp is 100*C, and is now producing hydrogen. And he's gone walkabout. In a suit with a . . . wossname, shaded visor. Like Cyclops.
    Hey hey, the Doctor's asking things of the Captain. Who says: "What is this? An interrogation?" Hey lady, be glad Bauer's not here; you'd be a bloody mess right about now.
    Short haired Redshirt girl is caught by Cyclops, who raises his visor and turns her into a shadow also. Majel chimes in calmly, "Impact in twenty-four, fifty-one.
    The infection probably can't be cured. Ah. That was the Doctor being nice. Corwin is dead and gone.
    Seconds after telling the Captain her husband is dead, "Are you certain nothing happened to provoke this? Because it is vital that you tell me." They say there is nothing. At all.
    MtRM and Rani are at area 17. Cyclops burninates the baldheaded Scotty. Okay, I lie. He boils his brain in his head. Scrummy. Heat shields are at 20%.
    Rani and MtRM are found by Corwin. "BURN WITH ME!" is uttered in increasingly robotic tones. MtRM is intelligent for once and they run. This locks Corwin out, and the other two accidentally hid in an escape pod. Jettison is initiated.
    Can't be stopped. So . . . the terrorist just 'kidnapped' the girl to whom Ten is closest. WWBD? Run after them of course! Leaving Captain and the Other Dude to keep jumpstarting the engines. "It's picking us off, one by one."
    Rani and Corwin fight to reactivate/deactivate the jettison. It's held. I like Rani. But that Corwin starts typing things into the keypad again.
    The generators can't be restarted because -
    there's two of them!
    Dude. But Cyclops!2 (seems to be the original Corwin) hesitates to burninate Captain because she's "My wife." The music calms for a moment, indicating all's good until "It's. Your. Fault." and the tension literally sings up a violin string(?)
    More running! More typing. The Doctor confronts Cyclops. Who goes all PUNCHY! on the keypad. jettison is permanently activated.
    Back with Cyclops!2 Captain is about to die until Other Dude opens a torrent of steam in Cyclop's face! Woo! Go Other Dude! Oh, it's an ice vent.
    And despite knowing whoever it is is dead, she says "You'll kill him."
    The pair is psychically linked, and when Corwin (he was in Engineering) dies the other dude falters, then walks off implacably.
    The pod is being launched. MtRM is fruitlessly tapping (annoyingly) in the glasses and the Doctor bellows (silently) "I'LL SAVE YOU!". The sun is still gorgeously done.
    Okay, that's impossible. There are solar flares peaking mere yards from the ship's outer hull. And this is a run-down, decrepit cargo ship, hardly a Galaxy-class star ship. This ship should be so much vaporised metal dust in the solar breeze right about now.
    Majel: Impact in seventeen, oh five.
    I think Other Dude is in love with Captain, they have a nice, touching moment with pretty violin music in the background; and then Other Dude is summoned to area 17.
    MtRM remains eternally optimistic; good as this is the Doctor, and he hasn't lost a Companion in a long time. There's a pensively blue-tinted moment in the pod - the orange outside is a very ribena colour inside now. Wonderful contrast.
    FIGHT SCENE! Scotty-Cyclops (Ashton) is punched up and then deep frozen by Captain. To -300*C or so. And the Doctor does a space walk into the the Sun. Because "I'm not gonna lose her." Shouldn't this sort of atomise him?
    12 to go.
    MtRM phones her mother as they zoom into the sun (gorgeous sun! GORGEOUS! You can feel the heat) There's a sappy, obviously going to die call.
    Hey! A WiB is tracing the phone call. It's a pretty touching call actually, until Mum starts asking about the Doctor. At which point MtRM hangs up. Even though she was literally just begging her mother to talk to her. LITERALLY. Shows how much she loves her mother doesn't it?
    Despite the massive gravitation pull the sun must be exerting, the Doctor is holding onto the ship with one hand and, if anything, trying not to fall down rather than horizontal. But the panel is off and things are being push/pulled/twisted.
    This is some kind of magnet stronger than the pull of a sun! that pulls the pod back into the ship.
    AND THEN THE SUN STARTS GROWLING AT ME WHAT THE HELL KIND OF GIDDY AUNT IS THAT?! Sun's don't growl. And it's a horrible rasping, animal noise.
    Also: the Doctor stares into the heart of the sun and doesn't go blind.
    "It's alive. It's alive." He murmurs, horrified, as the solar flares whirl in a probably sentient fashion.
    I don't like this sun. It's beautiful, but creepy.
    8.57. Ten's inside, eyes closed and he's gone all Cyclops too! He's possessed. And it's all Captain's fault! "You mined that sun! Scooped its surface for cheap fuel [hey, good idea] You should have scanned for life! [Ten writhes in agony] That sun is alive. A living organism. They scooped out its heart, used it for fuel and now its screaming! [...] It's living in me. [...] YOU SHOULD HAVE SCANNED!" Ten demands to be put in the freezer.
    Ten's screaming in pain and contortions are extremely believable.
    But this means it's only a stasis, not a death. So Corwin and Not-Scotty are actually alive again. If you get my drift.
    Ten's great at doing possessions. Aw. No. That's not right. Ten just said in a scared little boy voice "I'm so scared. I'm so scared." He's vacillating between possessed growly voice; agonised normal voice and scared voice so well. He's being burnt from the inside out.
    Ten then tried to tell MtRM (who's not being so R or M at the moment) about regeneration. He fails. And screams in genuine agony as he's being flash-frozen.
    Cyclops in Engineering cuts the power. Captain runs down there.
    Rani and Other Dude are at Area 4. The Doctor, even as he's carbonising from inside out, still manages to tell Martha what to do to save peoples lives.
    "Impact in three forty-three."
    Cue dramatic music punctuated by choral gasps and heavy on the timpani.
    Captain is pulling off a heroic self-sacrifice (methinks) because she's lured Cyclops into an escape pod. Ha! Other Dude is called Riley. Hey, like the Lieutenant from TOS. So she opens the airlock, taking her and Cyclops into the sun.
    The Doctor's writhing around in Medbay in the floor
    "Survival estimate projection: zero percent." Hey Majel, so perky.
    But Ten's failed to fight the sun.
    Oh [REDACTED] me. I do not like that! Ten with his Cyclops eyes and growling "Burn with me. Burn with me Martha!" Do. Not. Want.
    Martha stops short in the corridors, looking horrified (although if you pause at 39.01 she looks more like a stupefied rabbit).
    "Impact in 01.21."
    Riley and Rani made it to the front of the ship, just as Martha arrives ordering them to jettison the fuel because it has sun particles in it. Fuel is dumped, and the Doctor is unpossessed.
    COMPLETELY WHITING OUT HIS EYES IN A PROCESS MORE FREAKY THAN NORMAL POSSESSION!! And passes out.
    Impact is averted with three or four seconds to go.
    Haha Majel. Your science was confounded with Doctor science! Superscience? We have a happy huggy reunion at 41.00! I am happy too. It's clearly friendly.
    Riley and Rani are amused by the TARDIS. They cool about being left behind drifting in space with no fuel because the authorities are going to pick them uo soon. They got to look after the sun. Funny thing, saying that.
    And I hate MtRM again. She lead (and still leads) Rani on, and then ditches him. After she snogs him proper. Which is immediately after she admits she's leaving, and will never see him again, and Rani admits he thinks he could really love MtRM.
    Cold hearted strumpet. Harsh, harsh. Cold-hearted temptress.
    Ten is left brooding and sullen for about five seconds before he bounces straight into happy again.
    And MtRM is finally given her own key to the TARDIS and a thank you. And then she remembers her mother. MtRM agrees to come round for tea. Good. It's also eelction day.
    There are now three PiB (people). Who then hands her phone over to the PiB. "Mr. Saxon will be very grateful."

Preview thoughts: There a watch. Screaming, then Martha's a maid in 1913, scarecrows are walking and all the while Ten is screaming in agony again with a headset contraption on his head (duh). And there's a creepy guy in his early twenties with really flared nostrils.
    Oh. It was Orin.

Best Moment:
    Oooh, so many. But any with exterior shot of the sun; or Ten being possessed by the sun.

Worst Moment:
    Martha snogs Rani.

Best Special Effect:
    The sun. I've seen worse effects in multi-million pound movies.

Worst Special Effect:
    There isn't really one. Not one that stands out. I suppose the most mockable one was the combination of the facemask and Cyclops vision because of the 'Empty Child/Doctor Dances' and X-Men links.

Best Actor:
    Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. Very good acting, especially the voice switches, and generally conveying agony in a realistic fashion.

Worst Actor:
    That redshirt lady who isn't McCoy or Captain.

Number of Times Rose Is Mentioned:
    None! More happy days. I might have to ditch this category soon if this continues.

Number of Time MtM Obviously Hits on the Doctor Or Their 'Romance' Is Mentioned:
    One.

Number Of Times I Wished I Watched 24 So I Could Make Jokes About It:
    A couple dozen.

Number Of Times I Actually Managed to Reference 24:
    Two.

Thoughts overall?
    Best episode since 'The Shakespeare Code', in fact, I'd say it rivals it. The special effects are far better, smoother and seem more real than in 'Shakespeare'; but the writing and in-jokes is just tighter (and personally funnier) in 'Shakespeare'.
    The characters in this episode are generally more forgettable, as you don't really much of a chance to know them; although what time is focussed on them is put to good use, and as you've seen they can easily be blank templates for your stock sci-fi characters.
    The plot of this episode is very good, if a little too similar to 24 in certain areas, or your usual sealed room with a limited time of survival trope. However, the tension, music, writing and concept of a sentient sun more than make up for the limitations in characterisation and plot. In fact, this episode shows some honest-to-Heavens character develoment for Martha who, for the first time since 'Smith and Jones' doesn't act like an utter moron for the entire episode, and she actually does help save the day. With the Doctor's advice.
    The Doctor also gets a chance to shine in this episode, and Tennant in particular gets to demonstrate his acting chops. Note I said Doctor and Tennant. This is because we get to see how far the Doctor will go to save a Companion (even if she isn't Rose (hate!)) and how generally awesome he is. Tennant himself gets to portray all of this. He's very good at screaming. Very good indeed.
    The Saxon plot continues. Given some comments from the readers, Mr. Saxon is running for election. So he's a prospective MP, or re-running for MP. And he knows about the Doctor. This settles it. He knows about Torchwood, and probably runs it now.

My sources inform me the next episode is a two-parter. Expect opinion on this episode then to radically change between the first part and the next as I get the chance to evaluate the serial as a whole as well as it's component pieces.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2011-06-01 at 02:56 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    The Nu Who Trek continues. And now, to boldly go where many have gone before. [*cue TNG theme (I love that theme song so much)*]
    damn it now i've got that in my head!

The ship's computer (I'm gonna call her Majel; cookie for obvious reference)
    Majel Barrett is Gene Rodenberry's wife. as well as Laxwana Troi she provided the voice for the starfleet computers in ALL the Star Trek franchises to date. cookie pls.
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2011-06-01 at 03:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

8. - Top - End - #818

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    Damn it now I've got that in my head!
    My work here, is done.
    And hey, at least you've got the dulcet tones of Patrick Stewart in your head. That and one of the best sci-fi themes of all time.

Majel Barrett is Gene Rodenberry's wife. As well as Laxwana Troi she provided the voice for the Starfleet computers in ALL the Star Trek franchises to date. Cookie pls.
    As well as being Number One in the unaired pilot 'The Cage' for TOS (which did so exist). But you still more than get your cookie!
    In fact, have a cookie (monster) muffin.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

9. - Top - End - #819
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    I just want a companion to DIE for once. Last time that happened was with... What's his name? Adric! Before that, they were going out left and right like flourescent light bulbs! (Peri might count, if you count a possible timeline the alternate continuity presented.)
    I disagree with your belief.

Two companions died waaay back in Season 3, both in the same season (and one of the two died in the same serial she joined the crew in, so I'm not sure whether to actually count her as a companion). After that, no companions died until Adric did in Season 19. Then one more died in Season 21 (again, someone who had only been around for two stories), and that was it for the twenty-six years of original Who. In New Who, no companion who's lasted more than one episode has died and stayed dead (I don't count single-episode guest stars as companions. YMMV.)

Three or four people over 26 years isn't really a dropping like flies scenario.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

10. - Top - End - #820

'42' (Season Three, Episode Seven)
    Same format as before.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hehe. This is awesome question: CLASSICAL MUSIC: "Who had the most pre-download number ones: Elvis or the Bee-atles?" Good thing we have a twenty-first century girl there. Just guessing while the video's paused: Elvis. Because my Littlest Brother has an album of Elvis' Number Ones with about thirty-three tracks on it.
    Martha doesn't know.
    You know what I'm going to say: MORON.
    In her defence, it's very close, and Elvis is only ahead by one because one of his got rereleased or something. I remember it being on Top of the Pops, and I was annoyed because I prefer The Beatles to Elvis.

I love British people. There's never a time for rudeness. Not even when you're dying of heat.
    Of course not! Stiff upper lip and all that.

McCoy
    You realise using that name in the context of Doctor Who leads to entirely the wrong mental connection?

Oh [REDACTED] me.
    Not without dinner and flowers.

The Saxon plot continues. Given some comments from the readers, Mr. Saxon is running for election. So he's a prospective MP
    You got the letters the wrong way round there.

My sources inform me the next episode is a two-parter. Expect opinion on this episode then to radically change between the first part and the next as I get the chance to evaluate the serial as a whole as well as it's component pieces.
    That two-parter is very good. I wouldn't expect that big a change of opinion.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2011-10-04 at 12:15 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

As well as being Number One in the unaired pilot 'The Cage' for TOS (which did so exist). But you still more than get your cookie!
    In fact, have a cookie (monster) muffin.
    NOM NOM NOM.

Also: Majel was also a nurse in TOS too... not that that existed.

also, i probably should have used the past tense there, since both Gene & Majel have passed on.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

12. - Top - End - #822

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    In her defence, it's very close, and Elvis is only ahead by one because one of his got rereleased or something. I remember it being on Top of the Pops, and I was annoyed because I prefer The Beatles to Elvis.
    Wouldn't know. Was never all that keen on The Beatles, and I only know what I know about Elvis because mother and the brothers love him so.

Of course not! Stiff upper lip and all that.
    Precisely my old chum!

You realise using that name in the context of Doctor Who leads to entirely the wrong mental connection?
    Well, using any Doctor's name in this context leads to the wrong conclusions. At least it wasn't Phlox or the EMH though eh?

You got the letters the wrong way round there.
    MP, PM, same thing. It's all politics, and I simply cannot discuss politics past 1944 or so. Oh, except for Thatcher. Once we hit about 1999 or so my political knowledge drops to almost nil.
    Also: spoiler? Maybe?

That two-parter is very good. I wouldn't expect that big a change of opinion.
    Except all opinion is subjective. I might not like it at all. (Just being contrariwise here to make a pointless point.)

NOM NOM NOM.

Also: Majel was also a nurse in TOS too... not that that existed.

Also, I probably should have used the past tense there, since both Gene & Majel have passed on.
    If TOS didn't exist, that would make TNG the new TOS, except if TOS doesn't exist TNG!TOS doesn't exist.
    Congratulations.
    You've left us with only VOY, DS9 and ENT. At best.

RIP Majel and Gene Roddenberry, you may be gone, but your legacies will never be forgotten.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2011-06-01 at 04:34 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show

MP, PM, same thing. It's all politics, and I simply cannot discuss politics past 1944 or so. Oh, except for Thatcher. Once we hit about 1999 or so my political knowledge drops to almost nil.
    Also: spoiler? Maybe?

Spoiler
    Show
    There where Vote Saxon posters in Cardiff (Torchwood's "Captain Jack Harkness") so it being for PMship is sort of required

Does anyone else get amused by other people speculation on arcs while you know the answer?
    Oh and my first rule of Doctor who speculation, everyone is the Rani.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

14. - Top - End - #824

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Does anyone else get amused by other people's speculation on arcs while you know the answer?
    I get amused by other people's speculation on anything when I know the answer. It's the slightly childish joy of "I know something you don't know!"
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

15. - Top - End - #825
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like the feeling of seeing someone else get to the same conclusion you did before you actually knew what it was about. Like a "I thought that too" reaction and the feeling that you were actually not stupid for not working it out
    Last edited by Raddish; 2011-06-01 at 05:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    To be perfectly honest, the second Jen was completely out of left field - who would have expected a ganger could produce a duplicate of herself, or would. The second Jen was definitely a ganger (besides her death, she made a point of displaying her ganger face to bring home that point), and by process of elimination that meant that the remaining Jen was human. An easy mistake to make. Everybody in the series makes assumptions that turn out to be wrong sooner or later, and nobody does it more often than the Doctor.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'd actually suspected there was an extra Jen for some time, although not necessarily for the right reasons, and the final resolution wasn't what I had expected. I may have just been confused by all the identical twins rushing around, but there did seem to be too many Jens in too many places for the characters' assumption (that there were just four human workers plus their gangers) to be correct.

I spent a big chunk of both episodes trying to work out if I had got confused, or if there really were two gangerJens, and if so, what was actually happening. (My theories had been either that there were multiple copies of everyone, or that the humans had themselves been turned into Flesh).
    Last edited by Wardog; 2011-06-01 at 05:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Banned

RIP Majel and Gene Roddenberry, you may be gone, but your legacies will never be forgotten.
    Hear, hear!

You do know that the TNG theme was the movie theme for the Trekmovies before it was applied to TNG some 8 years later?

18. - Top - End - #828

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    Hear, hear!

You do know that the TNG theme was the movie theme for the Trekmovies before it was applied to TNG some 8 years later?
    Yep. I'm a Trekkie and a Whovian. Wrath of Khan was easily the best.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

19. - Top - End - #829
    Troll in the Playground

Bah. We're not getting The Almost People until next week in America. I hope we get two episodes so we're not behind for the rest of the season.

Also, announcement. Gathering interest for a Doctor Who themed Romance of the Three Kingdoms Let's Play. If you love Doctor Who, Ancient China, or both, check the Gaming (Other) forum in the next few hours. I will have openings for two companions as well as lots of badass Chinese people if anyone wants to participate. Thanks
    Last edited by Raistlin1040; 2011-06-01 at 06:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Bah. We're not getting The Almost People until next week in America. I hope we get two episodes so we're not behind for the rest of the season.
    Well seeing as after the next episode (episode 7, so thats 2 for the states) the series is going on a break for the summer to start again in September, I don't think you'll be behind for long.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

21. - Top - End - #831
    Troll in the Playground

Also, announcement. Gathering interest for a Doctor Who themed Romance of the Three Kingdoms Let's Play. If you love Doctor Who, Ancient China, or both, check the Gaming (Other) forum in the next few hours. I will have openings for two companions as well as lots of badass Chinese people if anyone wants to participate. Thanks
    What's a let's play? I thought that was the term for when someone runs through a video game and makes comments and stuff. Is it like a play by post game? Not sure why I'm asking since I wouldn't be interested anyways, but I'm curious.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, but there are 2 styles of Let's Play. The first is an OOC narrative, where the comment focus is on how bad the game is, or something weird about it, or simply to play. My Let's Play style is an IC narrative, removing myself as the player from the equation and instead turning the comments into a story. I'll be playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI, which is a strategy game based on the Chinese epic of the same title, set in 2nd century China. It's not Play By Post, but will instead have anyone who wants to participate make a character using a guide, and that character will have a part in the story. There will be mechanics, as we try to conquer China, but there will also be a story.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Troll in the Playground

I'll be playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI, which is a strategy game based on the Chinese epic of the same title, set in 2nd century China.
    Okay, this is where I fumbled my Knowledge (Video Games) roll while succeeding at my Knowledge (World Literature) roll, which is why I was confused.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Oh and my first rule of Doctor who speculation, everyone is the Rani.
    Meh. I don't like the Rani. I'd be pretty disappointed if everyone was the Rani.
    Last edited by twinkletoes; 2011-06-02 at 12:34 AM.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    Yeah, Rory is probably my favorite companion of New Who so far. There are more important things to him than The Doctor and he will sometimes go against him, but at the same time he trusts him with his life. To me it seems like Amy, Rory, and The Doctor are all friends, equals, which is something none of the previous companions had going for them.
    Yeah, Rory is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #836

'Human Nature' Part 1/2 (Season Three, Episode Eight)
    Same format as before.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sometimes I toy with the idea of watching all parts of a serial at once. Then I remember character limits and massive walls of text.
    Green lasers! Panic! Ten: "Did they see your face?!" People are following the TARDIS through stolen technology! A time agent's vortex manipulator! They stole it from Captain Jack SparrowHarkness (still got Pirates on my mind)! Ten: "I'll have to do it." Do what? He looks reluctant, panicky and fairly reluctant.
    "Martha, you have to trust me, do you?" I certainly don't. She MtRM for a reason. "It all depends on you [Martha]." He then goes on to tell her to protect a watch; it's a dull silver fob watch. It is quite literally his life.
    And now Ten's woken up in a bed wearing those blue and white stripey pyjamas you only ever see in films.
    I am extremely confused!
    Is anyone else extremely confused?
    Because Ten certainly is. What? A studio? MtRM's a maid now? She brings incidental music and tea with her! In proper maid outfits. And grandfather clocks, astrolabes and tranquil, vaguely period music. Also, check out how Ten says "adventurer" (01.20ish), it makes me smile, he sounds so . . . I don't know the word; but it's kind of quirkily whimsical in a way I can't quite describe. And all the astronomical stuff is made of brass!
    And Ten is now a schoolteacher.
    The whole room! How twee. In a delightfully Twinings way.
    I'm also noting a distinct similarity to one of my favourite Nu Who episodes so far: School Reunion. The Doctor is posing as a teacher, with his female companion performing a menial job in the school (or board school as the case is today). We've had a cook and a maid. Next up: governess?
    Hee~ 01.34. And the word Assistant is officially replaced with Companion.
    I'm still confused.
    And - oh right. It's Monday, the 10th November, 1913. Didn't the 'Daleks' series take place Monday, 30th November 1930? What is it with this show and Novembers? And why is MtRM (although I suppose I should remove the R, as she can't exactly be rude and keep her job as a maid) always the one with the newspaper dating skills. At least it explains the Edwardian interior decorating.
    The Doctor is apparently "completely human".
    Enter the theme song and I can tell this is one of those puzzle piece plots where we find out what happens only barely before the characters do.
    (The writer for this episode (and the next part) is Paul Cornell. He's something of a big wig in Who terms, having also written the episode 'Father's Day' for Nine's reign, creating the Coompanion Bernice Summerfield and writing many, many books for the WHo EU, contributing to webisodes and the Big FInish audio dramas. He's also written a lot of tellybox and comic books (again, some for the Whoniverse), having won or been nominated for several awards. This includes the Hugo award for both this two-parter and a comic paperack called Vampire State. As this two-parter is apparently adapted from a book he wrote for the EU, I'm expecting very high quality writing in this episode.)
    Unpausing, let's continue with the episode itself, rather than exposition and expectations.
    It's a proper board school, marching, raising the flag, mortarboards and subfusc! I actually have those myself. Well, not the gown itself, that's the one worn by someone who has Honours in their Bachelor's, or by someone with an MA/MSc. What I have is this, which is for undergrads in their first degree (and for those who did not achieve overall Honours in their Mods/Prelims). Of course, you didn't really need to know this either, but it can't hurt to have some backstory as to the gown.
    And given it's 1913, chances are very high Ten and his fellow teachers all went to Oxbridge, meaning I can tell you exactly what their degree is by the type of gown they have. Given the Headmaster has the standard Masters/Bachelor's with Honours robe, I doubt we'll see any others though.
    Huh. Ten's a history teacher. Appropriate. The Napoleonic Wars, complete with a cane. Happy days! What's the bet that Ten was there. And MtMM (Moronic Maid) is scrubbing floors. She is Miss Maid are busy chilling as they do so when two Oiks walk past. Oik One - given he's one of the older boys I'll bet he's Head Boy, Prefect or similar. Anyway, Oik One says "Tell me Jones, with hands like that how can you tell something's clean?"
    Aaaaahhh, good old nationalistic racism. I'll be honest though, I love how this series isn't shying away from unPC behaviour in the appropriate time periods.
    Miss Maid points out that "in a few years time, boys like that will be running the country." Cue introspection on behalf of MtMM! Because it's 1913 and well . . . yeah.
    Now, I have a conundrum gentlefolk. I have to instant hand several - that's a lie - I have to hand seven classic episodes of British comedy with which I can pepper this recap, and the next, granted one's not as appropriate as the others. You all know which ones too. The only problem is, how long can I hold out for? 04.49 so far my peeps.
    It's Mr. Smith. Ten's name. Ten is being adorably clutzy, and enjoying his conversation with the nurse. They split his load of books. Aaaaawwww, Smith!Ten is so adorkable. Oooh! And they're already on first name basis after a mere two months (two months?!)! And Joan's inquiring into the existance of a Mrs. Smith. Is it too early to ship Ten!Smith/Redfern? Because for the time period, and their relative social staus Joan is really coming on to Smith!Ten (I'm just going back to Ten now) very strongly. And then she says "Do you think you'll go? [Tennant is flustered] It's been ages since I've been to a dance, only noone's asked me." Tennant stammers adorably.
    This is adorable. Ten you're so adorkably adorable!
    And then falls down the stairs from flusterment.
    MtMM then bursts into the Ten's room and inquires as to Ten's health. Joan understanbly gets snitty and reprimands MtRMM, and then Joan and Ten begin to flirt. It is precious.
    Huh? Ten only has one heart. Even though he's a Time Lord. That must be some technotreknobabble. Anyway, Ten's showing Joan his dream journal. It's illustrated, you know what this means: identifying the pictures time! From the beginning: the TARDIS interior; K9; the sonic screwdriver; Doctor Gasmask Child; a Dalek; that guy who spits in Rose's face (awesome) back in 'The End of the World'; a dude, but it's annotated 'plastic men', so autons; as Joan turns the page there's another picture opposite the auton one, but I can't make it out; the clock and clockwork robots from 'The Girl in the Fireplace'; ROSE (MtRMM's face is puzzled and enquiring in a cutaway, implying her surprise that Rose is mentioned); Cybermen; something that seems to be the TARDIS exterior (confirmed by the annotations above and to the left - "It's my hope I know it well, but it is huge, bigger on the inside than the outside." Aaaw, that's sweet, He calls it "my magic box. Nothing can harm me here. Unless I let them inside it. // And there is something to do with the [missing] the police, although when I am inside it I do not think as my self as representing the authorities [I?] feel almost as a fugitive. // It looks like a [obscured] into a [obscured] window [obscured] inside."
    I'm getting so many kicks out of transcribing this; I wonder how many people've gone to the effort of actually looking at the text? Lovely easter egg about the Doctor having 'borrowed' the TARDIS from the Time Lords there. Really should go back and do this properly for all the others, but I'm a little busy as of now.
    Ten looks so eager and happy describing his dreams to Joan, whom he so clearly has a crush on; he's acting like a little boy who's showing off his new toys. Which he totally is.
    Next pictures are of . . . previous incarnations of the Doctor! Left to right, top to bottom, I think we have Three, Eight, [no idea], Four, Five (very distinctive haircuts those two have), and presumably the others are on the other page. Ten: "How magical life would be if stories like this were true." And the stories are true, ergo life is magic. End of. *nods decisively*
    MtRMM is pensive. Last pic is of the pocket watch, on the opposite page the word 'who?' is encircled. Next to the watch we have "pocket watch is significant" repeated several times. Guys. Guys. Given this page, and the teaser, and the looks MtRMM gave it, I think this pocket watch is significant somehow.
    Just a crazy idea.
    CrAzY . . .
    MtRMM runs after Joan saying the stories are "silly". Joan gathers something is up as she asks "Who is he?" and says it's like he's always off in the clouds, as if he's forgotten something important. MtRMM's story is that she "worked for the family. He sort of inherited me." Aaaawwwwkward. And then MtRMM's feelings for Ten are mentioned. Beh. Displeasure is rife.
    Gentlefolk, I'm only ten minutes in! Anyway, we cut to a dormitory, and it's time to translate some Latin! Hehe, Catullus. At an all-boys school? Well, well, well. (For those of you not in the know, Catullus was a poet who is fairly infamous for one particular poem of his. I'm not going to link to it, but it just so happens to be Catullus 16.) Anyway, this boy is being bullied. Sadness.
    Oh no, bullied boy is younger (sounds it anyway) than the other. Please don't make me have to explain the board-school tradition (especially in boy's schools) wherein the older boys are granted the privilege of having a younger boy be their servant. The term for this system is censored. And, given the fact Catullus was literally just thrown at the boy, so many jokes about toasting crumpets have just popped into mind.
    Okay. Younger Boy knows Older Boy's father might be posted to Africa. Older Boy responds "Have you been reading my post?" as a high pitched chord ricochets up the tension. Younger Boy is an alien. (he also looks very familiar) And so Older Boy gets all up in Younger's face about spying and reading his post as Older'd only just read the word himself. Younger is a psssyyyychic.
    Younger is "just good at guessing, that's all. Sometimes I say things, they just turn out to be correct." Followed by more typical stereotypical board-school antics including addressing each other by last name, sneaking out for Teh Booze and degrading the younger boys.
    Cut to the pub, and Miss Maid is deriding the suffragette movement. Huh. No wonder. See, I did GCSE History, which involved doing a section on suffragettes and pre-1914 politics in general. And in June 1913 a Miss Emily Somethingsomething got herself trampled to death by the King's horse at a derby pulling off a suffragette stunt. Big scandal. Big. Scandal. And in February of the same year, some other's tried to blow up David Lloyd George's house, even though he wanted women to have the vote. And because I can: Sister Suffragette's! (even though that's set in 1910)
    And obviously, it's such a London thing these suffragettes. And Miss Maid is called Jenny.
    Ah! Alien ship 12.04!
    Cue a green light scanning some lady in a lane. I'm getting stereotype alien abduction vibes here sweethearts. Oh! It was Joan. She is wigged. Ten then shows up. Then a "meteorite" shows up. Bet you a penny it's not. And then Ten walks Joan home. D'aaawww. MtRMM runs off to go investigate Cooper's Field (where the meteorite landed), Jenny follows.
    Baines is also there. And Lord above, doesn't his expression look thick at 14.09! (And slightly like Kurt Hummel from Glee). The alien ship is cheesy. Baines walks off after it, and says "hello!" in the most plummy accent imaginable. Also the ship is invisible now, probably to save money. Except when you touch it.
    Shame Baines is going to get lasered to death. Especially now he's opened a door. And okay. That blows it. Baines' reaction to the door makes me think so much of the George's from Blackadder it's uncanny. A more relevant clip. I managed fifteen minutes.
    Yeah. George is dead now, he just walked into the ship. Moments before MtRMM and Jenny entered the field. So they leave.
    George - Jeremy Baines - George is being interrogated by The Family (very raspy, whispery voices they have). And then he's deaded. But not, because he's still alive. Pale faced and why isn't he blinking!
    HE'S NOT BLINKING AND ACTING ALL MONOTONE AND ANGULAR AND SNIFFING LOUDLY!! I do not like George! He keeps sniffing Younger Boy. And if you think what I wrote just sounds creepy, it's much worse when you see it.
    Cut to a deceptively cheery cycling scene with perky music, and MtRMM's sneaking into a woodshed to go to the TARDIS.
    Cue flashbacks! I'm guessing the Family is who's fallowing the Doctor and MtRMM. "Those creatures are hunters, they can sniff out anyone. [...] Me being a Time Lord they can track me across time and space [...] I have to become human." Then a chameleon arch descends from the ceiling. It's like a chameleon circuit, rewrites every cell in a person's body, providing appropriate backstory and a safe setting. MtRMM however, is screwed, she has to improvise.
    This is going to hurt. Cue screaming. Lots and lots and lots of very good screaming. And then she (in the present) rewatches an instructions video. Ten is very Ten here. "One [...] two [...] four, no wait, three [...] four". MtRMM talks to the video screen, sillily, and the final thing Doctor!Ten says is that the watch must only be opened as a last resort as it literally contains him. There's a perception filter on it, making people think it's just a watch; do NOT open the watch or the Family will find them.
    Younger Boy then shows up at Ten's room - ah, his name's Timothy. There's some ironic discussion, and Timothy hears words from inside the watch. And opens it. And pinches it. Baines the Unblinking smells it.
    This is bugging me. I've seen Timothy somewhere. Pausing. He was in Feather Boy and Stig of the Dump! And Nanny McPhee. And, ironically, a young Hitler. *slaps self* Shouldn't have mentioned that.
    So Timothy's investigating and opening the watch. Ten says "You are not alone" and we have various clips from Nu WHo; rapid cut to Baines who I swear to God gasps orgasmically. Baines closes his eyes (for once!) and we find out he's scout type thing, then he openes his eyes unsettlingly wide and whispers "Activate the soldiers."
    Cut to a fat jolly seeming gentleman going for a walk. A scarecrow waves out him. He is disturbed. I am disturbed. Nobody likes scarecrows. Unless, of course, said scarecrow's name is Wurzel Gummidge (and now everyone who isn't British is very confused) or The Scarecrow. The scarecrow is scary. But Jolly Guy assumes someone's in a costume. This is not so. More scarecrows appear! Many of them.
    Then a girl-with-a-balloon is abducted while walking home! By a scarecrow. However, everyone over the age of about twenty or so is horrified by the fact that this can potentially happen in real life,
    Cut to machine gun practice. Let me tell you now, I never had machine gun practice at school. Oh, and yes, this is Historical Foreshadowing. Joan comes out to watch. The Headmaster is a war veteran. To be precise, the people they're shooting are "tribesmen. From the Dark Continent." Gaaaah, must. resist. Timothy's semi-objecting because they "only have spears". Are you sure? Because the Headmaster may have served at
    Mboto Gorge where they were armed to the teeth with kiwi fruit and guava halves!
    And then the entire audience winces when the Headmaster mentions he hopes Timothy gets to fight in a "just and proper war". I mean, massively wincing. And then Timothy has a flashforward to WWI. He freaks out. I add another to my tally. Because of this Older Boy gets permission from Ten to give the "little oik" a damn good thrashing.
    Baines gets all pervy and sniffs the Doctor. And smiles in a disturbing fashion.
    FYI: Joan is a widow. His name was Oliver. Ten and Joan go walkabout, and Joan talks about how watching young boys learn how to kill upsets her. And another war reference. "They won't find it so amusing". Yes. Yes, you're absolutely right.
    OH NO! The Doctor wrote about 1914 and a "shadow" falling across the entire world. Ten gives a good point: "A great man doesn't need war or bloodshed to prove himself, every day life can provide honour and valour" He trails off as his mind puts together an Bad Thing About to Happen. A baby's going to get squished by a piano. The Doctor saves the day with a cricket ball. I think fondly of Five. Noone aside from Joan notices what Ten did.
    And then Ten asks Joan out to the dance! Yay! *ships them*
    There's a whistle pitch when the pair walk past a scarecrow. It's ominous because we know what's happened to them. And the Doctor subconsciously let's slip he learnt to draw on Gallifrey. Which is in Ireland apparently. Who knew. Hee! So many in-jokes. The Doctor's parents are called Sidney and Verity.
    The scarecrow is still freaky. But accompanied by very obvious scare chords.
    The romance (oh, a Slitheen!) continues to blossom. The violin music is sweet. And they kiss! I am happy. Aaaawww, Ten just said, "I've never . . ." and then MtRMM enters. And runs off in a tizz. Hate her. Stupid romantic Companions. She storms off to the TARDIS. She's afraid of being abandoned. Apparently, it never occurred to Ten he would fall in love, shows he's never really considered it, whether because of Rose or because he just doesn't get romance. "And it wasn't me." You know, I think Martha's creeping up on Rose in my Hate list. At least Rose wasn't a lying liar who lies.
    Timothy's still hearing voices. Baines is still freaky in every way possible, and then he meets up with Jolly Man and Balloon Girl; they do a synchronised head tilt and inhale.
    I freak out.
    I hate children at the best of times, and now there's a freaky balloon carrying girl possessed by something that ramps up the Freaky Factor ten notches. At least she's not Baines. However, the constant scare chords are annoying now. Probably would be worse without them.
    Jenny gets accosted by a scarecrow. They're like zombies. She's going to get possessed by the Family too. Uuuurgh, Baines has a psychotic smirk that would put the Joker to shame. Apparently the Family doesn't have names per se. So we have Mother/Wife of Mine (Jenny), Father/Husband of Mine (Jolly Guy), Sister of Mine/Daughter of Mine (terrifying girl) and Son/Brother of Mine (psychotic, unblinking Baines). The Family are made of smoke.
    Joan looks very pretty. Ten's wearing a bow tie. Cue the meme. Also, he doesn't know if he can dance.
    Jenny now sniffs and things. And Ten is leaving in a few weeks. So it's like a magic spell. Jenny is way too demanding, and MtRMM gets a clue. She legs it. Jenny now has a laser gun.
    MtRMM runs to Ten, telling him to open the watch because the aliens have found them, but the watch is gone. It's all down to "cultural differences" (because she's black and doesn't understand stories). Joan points out he did have a watch. Timothy's all freaking out.
    The Family's after Ten. Because of MtRMM. 38.28 is horrifying in that close up, those eyes and expression. Joan mentions Martha's infatuation. Timothy spies on Ten at the dance. I love the waltz music, beautiful oboe. Meanwhile, the Family is ransacking Ten's room, until Father/Daughter finds them at the dance, and all the while scarecrows gare out of the shadows.
    A woman to woman chat happens where MtRMM tries to convince Joan that ten's hiding things. She apologises for what she's about to do. Showing him his sonic screwdriver. And telling him his name. Well, as far as we know.
    The Family arrives with the scarecrows. People are lasered.
    Baines is psychotically smirking and palely, condescendingly, hammily evil. Especially when he starts yelling. MtRMM is held hostage, as is Joan, Ten is terrified.
    We cut to a cliffhanger as Baines smirks and gloats psychotically offering a sadistic choice!
    My fingers now hurt from all this typing.

Preview thoughts: Ten gets married and has children! Scarecrows are shot! Epithets of scariness for the Doctor. Dudes. Ten has babies. Whut? I don't get it. What happened to, you know, the Family of Blood?

Best Moment:
    Any time Family!Baines is onscreen. And the sweetly adorable romance between Ten and Joan.

Worst Moment:
    Martha mourns that Doctor fell in love with a human who wasn't her.

Best Special Effect:
    Scarecrows. But there wasn't all that much on the special effects this time around.

Worst Special Effect:
    The ship because it doesn't exist.

Best Actor:
    Baines!

Worst Actor:
    They're all really good. But . . . Daughter because she only has two lines.

Number of Times Rose Is Mentioned:
    One.

Number of Time MtM Obviously Hits on the Doctor Or Their 'Romance' Is Mentioned:
    Five.

Number Of Times the Upcoming War Is Referenced Deliberately, Ironically Or Otherwise Invoked:
    Nine.

Number Of Times I Failed At Not Inserting the Clips:
    Three.

Thoughts overall?
    MOAR. NOW.
    Seriously, this is fantastic. Period details are accurate and charming (except when they're not) and the war references will keep us wincing throughout.
    This is just an excellent story, and I can't really find any true faults with it. The in-jokes (historical or show orientated) are charming, the plot is tightly written and dribbled out so that we the audience know scarcely more than the Doctor himself, many plot threads are introduced, but so tightly controlled I doubt any will be left unresolved. Characterisation is wonderful, especially for Tennant having to play Smith who occasionally remembers aspects of Ten, points also to Timothy and Baines for their performances. Shame about Martha, but it's Martha.
    We only have the vaguest idea of why the Family is hunting the Doctor, and I like the tense mystery behind it.
    I think the largest fault is the music. The scare chords are too repetitive and obvious. That and the Martha romance, but that's a mandate from on high, and is thus a fault of the season so far; and is probably a personal thing rather than something that can objectively be protested.
    Best episode of the season so far. In fact, it's one of the best of Nu WHo so far because of the research, in-jokes, care to detail, acting and plot. For me personally, only 'Dalek', 'Empty Child/Doctor Dances', the season one finale, 'School Reunion' and 'The Girl in the Fireplace' are better than or equal to this episode. So far.

My fingers and wrists are now in agony. It also took me a little over two and a half hours to watch and write this recap. Silly attention to detail!
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2011-06-02 at 04:54 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh, it's a really nice thing you have going there but... it's just so MUCH for me. I usually skip around and then read the ending only, sorry.

But yeah, Human Nature/Family of Blood really was great, even with Martha being around (really, I don't mind her as a person but she too fast degenerated into the companion with the crush (bordering on obsession))
    Oh, soon it's time for Blink, can't wait for that one. I might even read that whole even if it takes three hours of my life.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

Figured it was worth a mention that someone made an episode of anime style ("Old") Dr. Who, in case anyone was interested. It's a bit mental (as one might expect) but I kinda liked it.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-06-02 at 06:10 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Figured it was worth a mention that someone made an episode of anime style ("Old") Dr. Who, in case anyone was interested. It's a bit mental (as one might expect) but I kinda liked it.
    Bit mental? It was an excersise in how mental you could get if you started out only slightly mental and exponentially increased it for 11 minutes. Still, it was pretty cool, if nonsensical.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    Bit mental? It was an excersise in how mental you could get if you started out only slightly mental and exponentially increased it for 11 minutes. Still, it was pretty cool, if nonsensical.
    Perhaps I understated it a bit. But I've never seen any old Who so while I assumed it wasn't like that I couldn't be sure.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.