New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default I obviously don't understand a wizard's power

Or any other tier 1 for that matter.

I mean, I know they're strong, but it seems to me that an uber charger who wins initiative and has some magic defense piercing would kill anything. Surely I'm missing something, as Wizard is tier 1 and Barbarian is tier 4.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I obviously don't understand a wizard's power

Charging is easy to block. Not all magic can be pierced.

That's assuming the wizard can actually be hurt by mere damage, which isn't a given.

[Edit]: Not that 1 vs. 1 combat has much to do with how the classes are tiered.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-04-18 at 07:57 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post

I mean, I know they're strong, but it seems to me that an uber charger who wins initiative and has some magic defense piercing would kill anything. Surely I'm missing something, as Wizard is tier 1 and Barbarian is tier 4.
    You're missing the Celerity spell line from PHB2. The spells' casting time is "one immediate action." This mean that, if it ever really matters, the wizard doesn't lose initiative. He casts Celerity, then moves out of the way of the charge, to a place that would be inaccessible to the enemies until his next turn. Or he Plane Shifts. Or casts Time Stop. Or does any number of things to ruin the charger's day. (One of my favorites, just for comedic effect, is "Wall of Iron" cast three inches from the charger's face).
    Last edited by Telonius; 2011-04-18 at 08:02 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

As I understand the common classifications of tiers, the system does not actually state that a higher tier class will always win in a fight against a lower tier class.
    Tier 4 classes have only a single trick, but this trick might actually be very effective. On the other hand, tier 1 classes have solutions for about every possible situation.

So yes, if a barbarian gets an opportunity to make a first strike against a wizard, he might quite likely kill him. But only then! If he doesn't kill him before the wizard gets his turn, the wizard has dozens of ways to find the time to buff up and dispose of the barbarian from a safe distance.
    On the other hand, if the wizard gets the first action and it fails, that's not really a problem since he is able to take his time and try other things.

Also, the main focus of the game is not characters of equal level against each other, but characters working together against monsters. If you face a monster that doesn't care if it has a huge axe in it's face, and there are a lot of them, the barbarian is pretty much out of options. A decent wizard is never out of options. There's at least in theory a spell that should deal with the problem without much trouble.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Simplest way to address your case: contingent teleport in case wizard loses initiative. Ubercharger wins initiative, wizard teleports away. Next round he (quickened preferably but not mandatory) Teleports back in, activates Celerity (and Timestop if high enough level) and proceeds to kill said uberchager.

On the most general chase: ubercharger is a powerful trick when it works, but it only works in quite a limited number of cases: you need to have a charge line to the enemy, and you need to be able to get through the enemy's defenses (miss chances, AC and the like). Wizard on the other hand has a spell combo that's at least as devastating as ubercharging for probably any possible situation in the game.
    Last edited by LordBlades; 2011-04-18 at 08:00 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tiers aren't about power, they're about versatility.

Sure, and uber-charger can do a shed load of damage, but that's about all they're good for. Wizards can eliminate threats without dealing damage at all, plus take care of the party's transportation needs, safe places to rest, bypass obstacles, etc., etc., etc.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    You're missing the Celerity spell line from PHB2. The spells' casting time is "one immediate action."
    You're aware that you can't take immediate actions when you're flat-footed, right..?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #8

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    You're aware that you can't take immediate actions when you're flat-footed, right..?
    Not until lvl 17. After that there is just no excuse not to have Foresight up at all times.

9. - Top - End - #9

Wizards (full casters in general) have so many tricks to prevent that from happening that a well-played one will be able to keep that from happening, ever. Celerity just puts the nail in the coffin, but really all you needed in your scenario above is Fly, a spell any wizard gets at level 5. Hell, levitate would work in most cases and you'd get that at level 3. Displacement, Mirror Image, line-of-sight obsuring tricks and the like make it pretty hard for the barbarian to hit the wizard. Sure, the barb has ways to defeat each layer of defense a wizard puts up, but he'll always be playing catch-up.

Of course, you could always set up the perfect ambush but then, even a commoner with a heavy pick or something can coup de grâce an overconfident level 20 in his sleep, yet nobody's claiming commoner > epic-ready PC.

Plus, a caster has so many options for all the other situations that don't involve HULK SMASH moments.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The tier system is explained here, and you might also want to take a look at here and at some popular wizard guides.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by LordBlades View Post
    Not until lvl 17. After that there is just no excuse not to have Foresight up at all times.
    Yes there is: 10 min/CL duration.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Two hours covers a lot of adventuring.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

But it's not always.

Anyways, even at low levels, simple things like Grease, Glitterdust and Levitation make life hell for a charger.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

It's hardly impossible to hit CL 72. You can even get away with the admittedly much more manageable 36 if you cast it twice.

Anyway wizards and the like consistently beat melee types in the Test of Spite, even in the more melee-friendly cases when there were, for example, no buff rounds. Class tier was actually a pretty decent judge of expected performance.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2011-04-18 at 08:49 AM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

15. - Top - End - #15

With a few notable exceptions, like the Samurai intimidator.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

The tier system isn't about power. It's about power AND versatility. A high level wizard has access to so many spells and abilities that they have literally dozens of ways of dealing with any situation. They can fill the same role as many other classes and in most cases do their job better than the original.

So with tier 1's they not only have the power to deal with any situation. They have the versatility to have options in how they deal with those situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    You know, not even wizards can beat wizards. If you cross-cloned Batman and Chuck Norris with the dark and terrible feeling in our hearts that there is indeed a god mocking our lesser existence, you would get a human wizard. With stringent WBL rules.
    "In times like this I ask myself - What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What if this wizard cast overland flight this morning, as most wizards at a high level would? What if the wizard used some sort of divination to know he'd encounter a hostile charger and prepared a contengiency casting improved invisibility/teleport/whatever at sight of an enemy? what if the wizard cast wall of stone arround your charger?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Every time you use the word "Tier" in a non-competitive game environment, fun dies a horrible, painful death.

God, what has happened to this game, I feel like I'm on the smash bros. forums and people are banana-gaming all over the place.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

True, true. I've never been to dicefreaks, but I think they can't be any more into power gaming than this forum.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Contingent celerity is a solid way to fix this until you get foresight. Alternately, be a dire tortoise to always act in the surprise round.

This is at least moderate levels of optimization, though. Much like uberchargers who kill in a round. The tier system is really more about flexibility, not who can one shot who.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin View Post
    Every time you use the word "Tier" in a non-competitive game environment, fun dies a horrible, painful death.
    Tiers were defined for fun, by people who don't enjoy a game where someone has a canoe and another a carrier.

But of course you're entitled to your condescension.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    True, true. I've never been to dicefreaks, but I think they can't be any more into power gaming than this forum.
    Eh. I think most people are not really "into" power gaming. As far as I see it, this discussion, and discussions like it aren't "you are doing it wrong if you aren't playing a wizard!", they are more "these are problems with 3.5 balance, you should watch out for them."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Tiers were defined for fun, by people who don't enjoy a game where someone has a canoe and another a carrier.

But of course you're entitled to your condescension.
    As you are entitled to your No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin View Post

God, what has happened to this game, I feel like I'm on the smash bros. forums and people are banana-gaming all over the place.
    What word would you prefer, then? Rank? Level?

Tiers are designed so people can see that, oh, wait, maybe a party made up of a Wizard, an Artificer, a Druid and a Monk isn't the best plan.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

In summary, the ubercharger is Tier 4, because that's all he can do - charge. Any problem that can't be solved by charging and hitting with a pointy chunk of metal, he can't solve.

A social encounter? He has nothing, while the Wizard has Charm Person, Suggestion, Detect Thoughts, etc.
    A door too strong to be physically broken? He has nothing, while the Wizard has Knock and Dimension Door.
    The bad guy turned invisible and fled in an unknown direction? He has nothing, while the Wizard has a plethora of divination spells.
    Surrounded by a clan of Stone Giants, too many to fight toe to toe? He has nothing, while the Wizard can go Invisible or Teleport or cast Confusion, or Gaseous Form.

And so on. The list could be easily extended.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh. I can understand the frustration. All too often I see comments like "Battle Sorcerer is a trap!" when it's tier 3 or more probably low tier 2.

The intent of the tier system is to help people play together on the same level and get along without overshadowing. There's plenty of people here who respect it on that level, too. There's just plenty who don't as well.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

The tier system is designed to measure power within the normal game framework. Your Ubercharger is on an adventure, he comes to a chasm. What does he do?

Your Ubercharger comes to a village where the people are plagued by disease. What does he do?

Your Ubercharger comes to a city, and is commissioned by the mayor to hunt down the local Slaneesh cult. What does he do?

Your Ubercharger now has to defend the city from a massive demonic invasion. What does he do?

The Barbarian is Tier 4 because even if you Optimize one really well, he can still only participate by dealing lots of damage.

Wizards can cure plagues, move mountains, build walls, burn forests, interrogate the dead, banish the demons, and so on. And builds like The Mailman are still happy to deal out lots and lots of damage.

Tier rating is perhaps best measured this way:

When the DM starts describing a problem, how likely is it that you'll be able to contribute, and how much?
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2011-04-18 at 09:31 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

What word would you prefer, then? Rank? Level?

Tiers are designed so people can see that, oh, wait, maybe a party made up of a Wizard, an Artificer, a Druid and a Monk isn't the best plan.
    It's fine if they want to play that. The issue is with optimization over enjoyment. If the group as a whole enjoys the game as they play it, then there is no harm, and coincidentally, the whole point of D&D is realized.

It's only when gamers come in with their power gaming tactics that the game gets broken. I imagine that's why the tiers were invented. For the optimizers.

The point of the game is (was?) not who gets to press the save-or-die button first, but simply fun. And that's possible with any combination of characters and classes, if the players have the right mindset.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2011-04-18 at 09:29 AM.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

29. - Top - End - #29

Obviously:

Your Ubercharger is on an adventure, he comes to a chasm. What does he do?

Charge a cliff to create a landslide to fill the chasm.

Your Ubercharger comes to a village where the people are plagued by disease. What does he do?

I charge the bacteria.

Your Ubercharger comes to a city, and is commissioned by the mayor to hunt down the local Slaneesh cult. What does he do?

Charge the mayor. It's always the mayor.

Your Ubercharger now has to defend the city from a massive demonic invasion. What does he do?

Charge the demons.

I fail to see the problem
    Charging is like explosives: if it can't solve a problem, you need more of it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    I imagine that's why the tiers were invented. For the optimizers.
    Well, there's your problem. You're imagining instead of finding out, or even just listening to the people here telling you otherwise.