New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Archetype Feats

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Archetype Feats

One of my players has asked about bringing in content from the DnDWiki, specifically this archetype feat:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Anti-Hero_%283.5e_Feat%29

I hit the 15 HD ability with the ban hammer, but would it be ok to allow him to have the other abilities for 1 feat?

Background:
    He is presently playing a fighter/ modified dragon disciple-dragon samurai

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Archetype Feats

3 HD one is stronger than the default save-increasing feats, but then again those aren't considered very strong. If the guy is a fighter/dragon shaman/dragon samurai, I don't think you need to be worried about him being too strong.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3

Lizardfolk

He is only two classes, fighter, and a homebrew class that is sort of an amalgamation of the dragon samurai and the dragon disciple.

I'm leaning towards just saying it's fine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Essence_of_War View Post
    He is only two classes, fighter, and a homebrew class that is sort of an amalgamation of the dragon samurai and the dragon disciple.
    If you took a gestalt dragon shaman//dragon samurai, and fitted all the class features to just 10 levels, you'd have a halfway decent PrC.

That said, allowing stuff from dandwiki might set a precedent.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

A bad precedent. The place is full of broken and/or underpowered stuff.

That said, as long as you hit that level 15 ability hard with a nerfstick, this doesn't seem too bad. A little nonsensical (Anti-hero in the conventional sense would be a Good character who can qualify for Evil things and stuff, since Anti-heroes, except for the most extreme types, are still good guys but just aren't nice), but okay.

6. - Top - End - #6

Lizardfolk

Heh heh, that is almost what we did. We kept the "I turn into a half-dragon over the course of 10 levels" bit of the dragon disciple and grafted it onto the shell of the Dragon Shaman, removing a few features to not be totally overwhelming

I'm concerned about the precedent setting also, but I've been very clear so far that I'm approving materials only on a case-by-case basis and my players are usually quite responsible, so I'm not very worried.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    If you took a gestalt dragon shaman//dragon samurai, and fitted all the class features to just 10 levels, you'd have a halfway decent PrC.
    Dragon Samurai does have one trick.

Normally, it gives you a 1/day breath weapon, but if you already have a weapon that matches the type Samurai gives you, you add the Samurai damage to that one - and there's no per-day limit on that; it's added, period. DFAs and DSs get a small boost in breath damage from it. Dragonborn get a big boost in damage from it, since they keep accruing damage from HD simultaneously.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

3 HD: You are no longer prone on losing class features by doing non-good actions.
    This is a terrible thing to allow. If you don't fall prone every time you lose a class feature, then there's no incentive for paladins to avoid falling and losing their class features. Needing to take a move action to stand back up, and thus preventing the character from making a full attack on any round where he willingly commits an evil act, is a critical part of the paladin's balance. I mean, you can get around it with certain prestige classes or a DC 35 Tumble check, but combined with everything else this feat gives you it's just too much.
    Seriously though, it's stupid. The pre-15 HD abilities aren't unbalanced, there's no need to disallow it. But a feat that makes being a non-good member of a good-specific class mechanically superior to being a good member of that class is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

This is an amalgamation of three or four different abilities, each one individually strong enough to merit a feat. I especially love how he snuck the "+2 to all saves" there stealthily, when no one was watching. A good reminder why dandwiki should not be touched with an 11' pole.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It looks fine, its a lot of stuff, but mostly junk. The save boost is the best ability and that is just an improvement on a crap feat.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Essence_of_War View Post

I'm concerned about the precedent setting also, but I've been very clear so far that I'm approving materials only on a case-by-case basis and my players are usually quite responsible, so I'm not very worried.
    You should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladislav View Post
    This is an amalgamation of three or four different abilities, each one individually strong enough to merit a feat. I especially love how he snuck the "+2 to all saves" there stealthily, when no one was watching. A good reminder why dandwiki should not be touched with an 11' pole.
    QFT.

Funny how the guy didn't even know what an antihero is.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2011-04-19 at 05:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Funny how the guy didn't even know what an antihero is.
    Well, maybe he was thinking of Type V.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, Type V is the only one that could really be classified as non-good.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Well, maybe he was thinking of Type V.
    He got even type V wrong with all the 'counts as good' stuff.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    He got even type V wrong with all the 'counts as good' stuff.
    Anti-hero with good publicity?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    A bad precedent. The place is full of broken and/or underpowered stuff.
    Yeah, that's why we don't play with the PHB at our table.
    /rimshot

That said, as long as you hit that level 15 ability hard with a nerfstick, this doesn't seem too bad. A little nonsensical (Anti-hero in the conventional sense would be a Good character who can qualify for Evil things and stuff, since Anti-heroes, except for the most extreme types, are still good guys but just aren't nice), but okay.
    There are a multitude of ways to get around that sort of stuff, mostly as spells. What's wrong with spending a precious feat slot to gain it?