New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion IV: Roll Join Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    please don't be pedantic with me
    I'm not being pedantic. And please don't be so melodramatic.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I'm not being pedantic. And please don't be so melodramatic.
    very well, your not pedantic.

but you still cannot deny that a roleplaying game is about taking risks, they just are, unlike other games, more personal since you created the people that are taking the risks and not moved pieces about the board or something.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    Hmm. Well, this roughly reflects my personal measurement for optimization tiers.

Tier 6: You have big die pools.
    Tier 5: You have a perfect defense or attack or the closest you can get to it.
    Tier 4: You have a combo that includes both attack and defense options.
    Tier 3: You have methods to overcome nonstandard attack options, like shaping, illusion, surprise, etc.
    Tier 2: You combo them into your standard combat suite.
    Tier 1: Paranoia combat.
    ...well, that's optimization for either (Social or physical) combat, which... should really not be the focus of the game, if only for sanity's sake. But if you want that:

Combat Tier 5: You're a 'support' character, and die instantly if JB is rolled in your vicinity.
    Combat Tier 4: As 6, but you splurged some of your charms/bp/xp on getting the easiest-to-access Perfect Defense, and so don't die.
    Combat Tier 3: A modicum of combat charms, mostly just an Excellency a couple of assorted treats (incl PD), but you rely on avoiding combat more than winning it.
    Combat Tier 2: Decently focused on combat. While there are one or two things that aren't combat-related that you can do, more than a few of your charms and Xp has gone towards being a better fighter.
    Combat Tier 1: Your basic, un-charm-enhanced attack is scary enough that anyone you turn your attention to has to PD or die. Outside of combat, you sit around waiting for combat, counting sheep and staying off-scene, training for more charms that you'll never use seriously because of your all-consuming base dice pool and the paranoia that you'll die if you activate any Charm that isn't a PD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Every time you do something thats a challenge you roll dice to see if you succeed, sounds like taking risks to me, that is how life is, that is how roleplaying games are, so you could say that you are playing a role, since you are taking risks like everyone does in real life. No risk, no real point to the role.
    I guess you've never played a diceless roleplaying game then, huh?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #845
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    stuff
    Huh, my group would be a 4,3, 2x2 and a 1 by those numbers. Interesting. Although our 4 is currently in the process of
    training for more charms that you'll never use seriously because of your all-consuming base dice pool and the paranoia that you'll die if you activate any Charm that isn't a PD.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2011-05-08 at 05:02 PM.
    BEEP.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I guess you've never played a diceless roleplaying game then, huh?
    I've played lot of freeform roleplay, but that still doesn't mean there is no risk, there is risk in everything, believing that there isn't is the highest foolishness, for you cannot go through life without acknowledging it.

my first freeform roleplaying game? my character died seventeen times. I was angry at first, but I eventually accepted it and it became a funny running gag.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've played lot of freeform roleplay, but that still doesn't mean there is no risk, there is risk in everything, believing that there isn't is the highest foolishness, for you cannot go through life without acknowledging it.

my first freeform roleplaying game? my character died seventeen times. I was angry at first, but I eventually accepted it and it became a funny running gag.
    If your character died 17 times, then I'm a bit confused as to what the risk is. That it'll be 18? If he's still around after the previous 17, I don't think that's a big deal.

And anyways, it sounds like the point you're trying to make is that there's risk in everything, all the time, but also that there's risk in roleplaying games, and so that risk is what defines roleplaying games? But if there's risk in everything, then of course there's risk in roleplaying games, so that can't really be what defines them. I'm gonna throw my voice in with Xefas here. A roleplaying game is defined by the roleplaying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifter, character in game I'm GMing
    I was fine in Kingsfort until I met you guys. This looking for immortality thing is gonna get me killed!

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

but you still cannot deny that a roleplaying game is about taking risks, they just are, unlike other games, more personal since you created the people that are taking the risks and not moved pieces about the board or something.
    To avoid a semantic miscommunication, and hopefully a full thread derailment, I'll simply state that it depends on your definitions of "roleplaying", "game", "risks", etc. And no, I'm not being pedantic. Game design is a legitimate academic field. It is complex.

See Game Theory
    Crane and Sorenson's panel, Game Design Is Mind Control
    The Forge
    The Forge Provisional Glossary

If you want to start a thread on the topic, feel free to do so, but it's off-topic for this one.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Hahah, no.

I mean an actual diceless RPG.

Like Nobilis, for instance.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #850
    Troll in the Playground

Anyway, buying a Shaping defense and a surprise negator isn't particularly paranoid or risk-averse in Exalted, since Shaping and surprise attacks are two things that will seriously wreck your day if not defended against and are built on the idea that defenses against them are readily available.

If you do a lot of fighting, it's just good sense.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2011-05-08 at 05:16 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

11. - Top - End - #851
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    Anyway, buying a Shaping defense and a surprise negator isn't particularly paranoid or risk-averse in Exalted, since Shaping and surprise attacks are two things that will seriously wreck your day if not defended against and are built on the idea that defenses against them are readily available.

Zenith with Solar Hero Style in a sandbox game with fae, lunars and sidereals. Shaping defense is 'have or be screwed around with'.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post

really? so I guess if I'm an ST and I see that everyone just has one perfect dodge or something, I'm supposed to throwing a shaping at them? good to know I'm allowed to be a jerk and do instant TPKs [/sarcasm]

13. - Top - End - #853
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

really? so I guess if I'm an ST and I see that everyone just has one perfect dodge or something, I'm supposed to throwing a shaping at them? good to know I'm allowed to be a jerk and do instant TPKs [/sarcasm]
    Or, taking a more reasonable approach, maybe the ST thinks, "Man. Fair Folk are really interesting! I'd like to have some of them in my game."

And if you think that in an existence where everything is a risk all the time, no one is ever going to think, "Those damn Exalts are wrecking everything! Let's set an ambush for them!"

...Then I guess it's no surprise that your character died 17 times?

EDIT: Not to mention, all it takes to be perfectly defended against Shaping is, what, 1 dot in Integrity and a single charm. Not exactly strenuous requirements.
    Last edited by DragonSinged; 2011-05-08 at 05:37 PM.
    I was fine in Kingsfort until I met you guys. This looking for immortality thing is gonna get me killed!

14. - Top - End - #854
    Troll in the Playground

Nice to know my positions are instantly being converted to the most extreme form they could possibly be construed as. It's always fun to see that in the morning.

As always, it depends on the campaign. A Sidereal with Pattern Spider Touch will screw anyone without a Shaping defense. A fae... well, basically any fae ever is ten times more dangerous to someone without one. Heck, even Dragon-Bloods can do incredibly dangerous things with Shaping (see: Essence-Igniting Nerve Strike, Essence Disruption Attack). If you never meet those things, sure, you have no reason to care.

But if you do, the purchase of one (1) Charm with no prereqs and an ability requirement of 1? Is a steal to be able to say 'no' to all that.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2011-05-08 at 05:41 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

15. - Top - End - #855
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A fairly basic question: if I have a PD, but I'm taken by surprise (which as far as I remember makes normal dodge/parry impossible and sends DVs to 0), is activating PD still possible (assuming it's a parry or dodge based PD)?
    LGBTitP

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Hahah wow.

You are aware that the most horrific "you're screwed" effects in the game are Shaping, right? There's a reason for that: Shaping defenses are cheap and easy to get.

Good lord, must you read everything as a personal attack?

Quote Originally Posted by MickJay View Post
    A fairly basic question: if I have a PD, but I'm taken by surprise (which as far as I remember makes normal dodge/parry impossible and sends DVs to 0), is activating PD still possible (assuming it's a parry or dodge based PD)?
    Yes. If it's a Solar-level PD.

Other PDs restrict you more. If it says it doesn't defend against unblockable/undodgeable attacks, for instance, it doesn't defend against surprise attacks.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-05-08 at 05:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Troll in the Playground

While your assertion is correct (people shouldn't be jerks to each other), this stems from pretty poor game design in general.

If you want some awesome examples of games where it's pretty much impossible for the GM to be a jerkass to his players (accidentally or otherwise) without outright disregarding the mechanics of the game, see the various Vincent Baker games (In a Wicked Age, Poison'd, Apocalypse World, Dogs in the Vineyard).

I think Integrity Protecting Prana and the whole way the Shaping keyword is handled is some of the most egregiously poor design in the entire Exalted system. Not just because it's especially awful, but because it's so obviously so. I'll be the first to deride my 12-year-old brothers intelligence, but I have absolutely no doubt he would be capable of looking at Integrity Protecting Prana and saying "That is some ****ing crap design."
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-05-08 at 05:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MickJay View Post
    It depends on the PD. Seven Shadows Evasion specifically says that you can't use it with surprise attacks, so you need to use something else to be aware of the attack first, and since it explicitly says that, I would assume there are PDs that do work on unexpected attacks.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feriority View Post
    It depends on the PD. Seven Shadows Evasion specifically says that you can't use it with surprise attacks, so you need to use something else to be aware of the attack first, and since it explicitly says that, I would assume there are PDs that do work on unexpected attacks.
    Sanguine actually brought this up earlier, and apparently Ablation of Brass and Fire works.

Also, slight tangent, but I just found out that some absolute badass added Dolorous Carnifex Style to the Exalted wiki. I don't know who, but much love, if they're reading this.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

According to a statement from one of the Devs that statement in SSE is redundant, and automatically applies to all PDs, whether or not they have that line. It was brought up in a thread on the WW forums about Ablation of Brass and Fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

21. - Top - End - #861
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by senrath View Post
    According to a statement from one of the Devs that statement in SSE is redundant, and automatically applies to all PDs, whether or not they have that line. It was brought up in a thread on the WW forums about Ablation of Brass and Fire.
    I assume it does not apply to PDs that explicitly say that you have to be aware (like Flowing Body Evasion). OR do the devs want to make all PDs work that way?
    Last edited by a_humble_lich; 2011-05-08 at 06:05 PM.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    --Will S.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

A PD would have to explicitly state that it could be used on unexpected attacks for it to work against them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

23. - Top - End - #863
    Bugbear in the Playground

A PD would have to explicitly state that it could be used on unexpected attacks for it to work against them.
    And none of them do, because that would be horribly unbalanced.

Though the possibility of an Isidoros PD that only works against attacks that are unexpected was bandied about, but that's probably on the opposite end of the problem scale.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

...Except for the never-errata'd line in core that says the exact opposite?

God effing dammit, White Wolf. God effing damn.
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #865
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, Swillin's imperfect states that by itself, a Charm with the Imperfection should never protect against a Surprise attack on it's own.

Which means to me that anything that doesn't say that, does.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feriority View Post
    If having innate charms counts for the purposes of combos, then my first character qualifies for tier 2 just by having SSE and Reflex Sidestep as innate... that seems off to me, because I definitely don't know the rules well enough for my characters to count as highly optimized in any way.
    In 3.5 D&D, Wizards are Tier 1, but few people played them in a way so as to overpower everyone else. It's about capability, not actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    What if you get every charm that can overcome every nonstandard offensive action and then never combo anything?
    You get to hang out with the optimized Truenamers from the D&D tier system?

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    There's not so many things in Exalted with stuff worth taking sadly.
    Oh, no, there's lots of things with stuff worth taking, once you take into account artifact components.

The tears of just about anyone you beat is probably good for making something.

Tura, if people worried about everything, then would anyone have any courage to step out of their own homes? everyone knows that roleplaying games are about taking risks, If I was completely safe there would be no point in playing.
    Alternately, you're an elder Celestial exalt and your paranoia is an extension of your crazy.

I envision that at the time of the Usurpation, many Solars probably seriously engaged in Paranoia combat, which is why even a mass ambush with overwhelming power left enough Solars alive enough to obliterate the entire city they were fighting in and turn the Usurpation into a brief world war.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    ...well, that's optimization for either (Social or physical) combat, which... should really not be the focus of the game, if only for sanity's sake. But if you want that:
    Well, there's not really much to say about optimization outside of combat mechanics.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Does Protection of Celestial Bliss allow HGD to be used against surprise attacks? Cause it's got that line that says "...in any circumstance where using the charm would be legitimate."
    Which kinda makes me wonder what the point of Protection of Celestial Bliss is. According to the Errata, you still need to pay the cost of HGD when the attack occurs, so is it some kind of rules thing that I'm not getting? Like you can use it to use HGD even after you've used another charm that turn or something?

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    Well, there's not really much to say about optimization outside of combat mechanics.
    No, there is. Take a look at crafting, where the difference between completely useless and completely broken takes only a little bit of effort. Read one of our currently benevolent local Raksha's posts for how much room for optimization lies in the realm of the Fae.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #869
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, because the charm activation is during the activation of Celestial Bliss, not HGD.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Yes, because the charm activation is during the activation of Celestial Bliss, not HGD.
    But only if you've used a Surprise Negator first, as HGD carries that "Thou shalt not use this charm alone against Surprise Attacks" line.
    Last edited by Reynard; 2011-05-08 at 06:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show