New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Using Cantrips to break the game more

People keep saying it can be done, but how?
    MooseyMooseITP

Current Avi: By Dirtytabs.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Using Cantrips to break the game more

Prestidigitation canheat somthing up by about 35F or something like that. Get a piece of Tungsten and cast the spell around 100 times. Now you have a fission candle that ignites the atmosphere.
    Normal avatar by Qwernt, ponytar by Akrim.elf and squishydoll by Recaiden. Thanks guys!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fell drain + easy metamagic feat + sonic snap = negative level being delivered by a level 1 character with no attack roll, no save.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hirax View Post
    Fell drain + easy metamagic feat + sonic snap = negative level being delivered by a level 1 character with no attack roll, no save.
    This. This is why I love optimization.

Because that up there is as close as we get to effing alchemy.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Rogue/Sorceror or Scout/Sorceror using Acid Splash isn't game breaking, but it is a touch attack, no save, no SR for a number of dice.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Prestidigitation is pretty much a Wish spell at level 0. If you're creative enough with it (and your DM is lax enough) you can do incredibly silly things like the aforementioned fission candle. (Btw, how does a fission candle work exactly? Been trying to read up on it but I can't find anything on the Net.)

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Fission basics.

The bit where they talk about a "fission candle" effect is about halfway down the page, in the paragraph that begins "If you have ever tried to blow out a self-lighting birthday candle..."
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

See, combos like the Sonic Snap/Fell Drain combo are the type of things I wish I knew when I started playing with my Wizard at level 1 (granted, my Wizard was my first character, so that would have been unlikely.

Pretty much a one-shot-one-kill at level 1 (when you're fighting mostly level 1 enemies)... And Fell Drain doesn't stop being useful later, since even if you don't blast, spells like Enervation (which are extremely useful to have) still deal damage. Heck, I don't think a negative level as a level 1 spell EVER stops being useful.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Prestidigitation says it can lift one pound of material slowly, correct? Supercompress any material. It eventually becomes a tiny black hole.
    MooseyMooseITP

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

well it is not a cantrip, but how about fell drain with thunderhead?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Can you combine with arcane thesis and use of +0 metamagics (invisible is a favorite) to bring it back to a cantrip? (I play Pathfinder, explaining my interest in this particular combo) If so,

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I don't think so. You're already using one reducer to bring it back from a 2nd level spell to a 1st, but I could be mistaken on this.

This would be more a of a question for the FAQ by RAW thread.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by maysarahs View Post
    Can you combine with arcane thesis and use of +0 metamagics (invisible is a favorite) to bring it back to a cantrip? (I play Pathfinder, explaining my interest in this particular combo) If so,
    By RAW, yes, although if you were using Easy Metamagic, it wouldn't matter since it would already be a +0 adjustment.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    I don't think so. You're already using one reducer to bring it back from a 2nd level spell to a 1st, but I could be mistaken on this.

This would be more a of a question for the FAQ by RAW thread.
    You should be able to. Arcane Thesis (and many other metamagic reducers) stack whenever applicable. The only restriction on Arcane Thesis is that the spell cannot be reduced to below its original level.

With this in mind, you CAN have an Arcane Thesis'd, Easy Metamagicked, Fell Drained Sonic Snap as a cantrip, which can be awesome if your DM has house rules about cantrips (like unlimited use and whatnot); otherwise, it's a three-feat investment which you can't get until level 3 at the earliest, when it stops being an instant kill (as monsters with more than 1 HD aren't going to drop to level 0 without multiple uses). Also, unless you find practical, mid- or late- game applications for Sonic Snap, the Arcane Thesis (Sonic Snap) feat will be wasted.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, then I stand corrected!

Learn something new every day.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

not to derail, but I must ask...

what book is "fell drain" out of?

I'm rolling a wizard so this thread is of great interest to me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Libris Mortis or Heroes of Horror.

I'm AFB ATM, so... *shrug*
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Libris Mortis

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Create a small amount of something edible with prestidigitation, and put it in someones food. (Water should work.) In an hour it will be absorbed into their cells, and hopefully DNA. Especially things that get misplaced easily like the protons and electrons. It goes away creating a ton of radicals, breaking bonds whatever; like big dose of radiation.
    And no the "no damage shouldn't apply because prestidigitation does no damage. Its the lack of it that does the damage.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2011-05-09 at 08:35 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

See, as great as it would be to give someone cancer with a cantrip, the game doesn't support rules for this. Otherwise, "Create Food and Water" would be the deadliest spell known to man.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Fission basics.

The bit where they talk about a "fission candle" effect is about halfway down the page, in the paragraph that begins "If you have ever tried to blow out a self-lighting birthday candle..."
    That page is really poorly edited as to spelling and technical content. Using it as an informative source for nuclear reactions or accurate history would be a bad choice.

Tungsten forming a fission candle is not particularly well explained by that page, but may be better explained by mentioning that Tungsten has the second highest melting point of any element, implying that it can be heated hot enough [before it melts] that it would ignite many things that may be in close proximity. Should the atmosphere ignite around Tungsten hot enough to be incandescent, certainly a circulating air cell might form to feed fresh air to the tungsten rapidly.

A better fission candle explanation would be nice.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If you fell drained goblins to death wouldn't they come back as much more dangerous Wights? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    not to derail, but I must ask...

what book is "fell drain" out of?

I'm rolling a wizard so this thread is of great interest to me.
    Confirming that it's Libris Mortis, along with the other Fell metamagics, which, frankly, aren't as good. Fell Frighten gives the target the Shaken condition for one minute, which is abhorrent when you consider that it bumps it up by the same amount as Fell Drain, which is that much better. Fell Weaken might have been better if it stacked, and if you can convince your DM that it should, more power to you, because an Arcane Thesis'd anything gets Fell Weaken for zero spell levels and allows Split Ray/Twin Spell abuse, which I guess is precisely why it doesn't stack.

Fell Animate is interesting... It's horribly situational, since it requires a spell to kill, but if you metamagic out Enervate or something, and can fit this in the arrangement, you can deal enough negative levels to kill almost anything, and in the process create an undead which you can (presumably) put under your command. The only problem with this is that the feat investment is so huge, you're probably not playing a necromancer class, and aren't going to get away with much... But if you can pick it up as a rod, why not?

Just remember that Easy Metamagicked, Fell Drained Sonic Snap is only good because you get it at level 1, and don't have to devote feats just to Sonic Snap. By levels 3-5, you should be moving on to bigger and better things... Like Easy Metamagicked, Fell Drained everything else.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    If you fell drained goblins to death wouldn't they come back as much more dangerous Wights? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me...
    Can't be a wight without a head.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol View Post
    Fell Animate is interesting... It's horribly situational, since it requires a spell to kill, but if you metamagic out Enervate or something, and can fit this in the arrangement, you can deal enough negative levels to kill almost anything, and in the process create an undead which you can (presumably) put under your command. The only problem with this is that the feat investment is so huge, you're probably not playing a necromancer class, and aren't going to get away with much... But if you can pick it up as a rod, why not?
    Also, creates zombies which are pretty lackluster. But as said, hey if you can get a rod, cheap as free minions. Though the Azun-Gund(Sunless Citadel)/Nightcaller's Whistle(Libris Mortis) might be cheaper and give more mileage than a rod of fell animate anyway...

Depending upon whether you encounter big critters that'd be good as zombies or would use 'em as traps anyway... And possibly whether you have someone with the command undead spell like a party wizard...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-05-09 at 09:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Also, creates zombies which are pretty lackluster. But as said, hey if you can get a rod, cheap as free minions. Though the Azun-Gund(Sunless Citadel)/Nightcaller's Whistle(Libris Mortis) might be cheaper and give more mileage than a rod of fell animate anyway...

Depending upon whether you encounter big critters that'd be good as zombies or would use 'em as traps anyway... And possibly whether you have someone with the command undead spell like a party wizard...
    Well, if you're a True Necromancer (Libris Mortis), which is a decent enough path for a Wizard to take, or a Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror), you can rebuke and command undead of your own volition. If you're a Dread Necromancer, you can also command a ton of undead--the Summon Undead spells don't count toward the HD limit that the Dread Necromancer can create from his own abilities... And neither do Fell Animated undead, as far as I know. What this means is that you can create a veritable army of the walking dead at your disposal.

So, Fell Animate: Good for dedicated necromancers, "meh" otherwise.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

See, as great as it would be to give someone cancer with a cantrip, the game doesn't support rules for this. Otherwise, "Create Food and Water" would be the deadliest spell known to man.
    Sigging this, to awesome to ignore.
    MooseyMooseITP

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol View Post
    Well, if you're a True Necromancer (Libris Mortis), which is a decent enough path for a Wizard to take, or a Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror), you can rebuke and command undead of your own volition. If you're a Dread Necromancer, you can also command a ton of undead--the Summon Undead spells don't count toward the HD limit that the Dread Necromancer can create from his own abilities... And neither do Fell Animated undead, as far as I know. What this means is that you can create a veritable army of the walking dead at your disposal.

So, Fell Animate: Good for dedicated necromancers, "meh" otherwise.
    Dude, you are burning... at least 4 (early entry shenanigans) levels of Wizard (or Cleric) casting, plus the Death domain you get is extremely redundant and the only good class feature is the Desecration Aura, which you can get as a ring. So no, True Necromancer is not good for a Necromancer.

AFAIK the consensus is that Cleric Necromancer: Big Powerful Minions which are buffed to Baator and back

Dread Necromancer: Gigantic Hordes of undead minions

Wizard Necromancer: Mister Negative (AKA as the Debuffer)
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I've never heard of Easy Metamagic before. Where is that feat located?
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

29. - Top - End - #29

Dragon Magazine. It's regarded as pretty cheesy, basically take a metamagic feat which raises spell level by at least 2, and reduce the adjusted spell level by 1. So you can't use it on metamagic that only ups spell level by 1.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Makiru View Post
    I've never heard of Easy Metamagic before. Where is that feat located?
    Dragon Magazine... 325, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Dread Necromancer: Gigantic Hordes of undead minions

Wizard Necromancer: Mister Negative (AKA as the Debuffer)
    Also, Animate Dread Warrior so that the bosses you kill become your butler. Preferably with spell-stitching, but, that's another kettle of fish...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-05-09 at 11:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide