New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Who's Excited For Skyrim?

Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    The thing that annoyed me about Oblivion was the wretched skilling up system. I worked on my magic skills, went to the first tower and found everything could one-shot me while still being fairly resistant to whatever I threw at them.

Please, let me *BALANCE* the way I level up, rather than repeating obscure stuff ad nausem just to get a couple of hit points.
    Yes the level up system was horrid, but one the first and best mods is an XP mod that turns the game into a more normal RPG with monsters and quests giving experience and when you level up you can choose where you place your stats points.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

I prefer the Elder Scroll's system over one with XP. It's much more immersive. Sure, Oblivion's levelling world took the system and broke it over its knee. But it's still a good basic idea, and it works.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I prefer the Elder Scroll's system over one with XP. It's much more immersive. Sure, Oblivion's levelling world took the system and broke it over its knee. But it's still a good basic idea, and it works.
    Been playing Morrowind lately, and being able to level up *GASP* NORMALLY is just awesome.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

4. - Top - End - #244

I'm playing Oblivion again since a few days ago. I've vowed to actually do the main quest, this time. With about 120 mods, at the moment. OOO, UL, OBC and a few others really make this game bearable.

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I'm playing Oblivion again since a few days ago. I've vowed to actually do the main quest, this time. With about 120 mods, at the moment. OOO, UL, OBC and a few others really make this game bearable.
    I'm thinking of buying Oblivion on the PC, to be able to actually enjoy it. I got about nowhere in the game on the Xbox. Maybe I'll be able to convince my siblings they want to get Skyrim on the PC as well...

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    I'm thinking of buying Oblivion on the PC, to be able to actually enjoy it. I got about nowhere in the game on the Xbox. Maybe I'll be able to convince my siblings they want to get Skyrim on the PC as well...
    Really, you need to play Bethesda games on the PC. Mods are just that good.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2011-08-21 at 02:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247

To explain a few mods...

OOO: Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. Fixes tons of things. First of them, the levelling system. But also countless others. The world becomes non-levelling. Items in the world stay at the same level, too.

OBC: Open better cities. Cities are no longer in their own little worlds, you can just open the gates and walk in or out. Adds more shops to the cities, and makes them more different, by adding little things like decorations.

Unique Landscapes... well. It does this:

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Really, you need to play Bethesda games on the PC. Mods are just that good.
    I don't think I would still be playing fallout 3 after over 300 hours if not for mods and the same goes for oblivion.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

My one problem with mods is that they can potentially screw up the game. That's just me, though. I'm not very computer savvy.
    Epic avatar by: Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinArchmage View Post
    My one problem with mods is that they can potentially screw up the game. That's just me, though. I'm not very computer savvy.
    Have you tried the Bethesda game mods? They give out their programming tools so one of the first things modders create is a mod manager program which makes modding your game simple and fast. For most mods you just download one file, open your mod manager and click and drag onto a table.

For both oblivion and fallout 3 I use a mod manager and I have never had saves or the game become completely corrupted. I have had invidual save files get messed up (mostly from me playing with the console) but I just reload from an earlier save and all is fine.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    Have you tried the Bethesda game mods? They give out their programming tools so one of the first things modders create is a mod manager program which makes modding your game simple and fast. For most mods you just download one file, open your mod manager and click and drag onto a table.

For both oblivion and fallout 3 I use a mod manager and I have never had saves or the game become completely corrupted. I have had invidual save files get messed up (mostly from me playing with the console) but I just reload from an earlier save and all is fine.
    The Oblivion Mod Manager did help a lot, but there were some that I couldn't get to work. I remember that I had some troubles with that one "Deadly Reflexes" mod, as well as some other mod that was a prerequisite for it.

Damnit, I really need to figure out where the Hell I put the Morrowind files on my laptop. I would just reinstall the game, but I can't find anything to uninstall in the first place.

Anyway, that's enough about my computer incompetence. Back to the topic of Skyrim.

12. - Top - End - #252

Damnit, I really need to figure out where the Hell I put the Morrowind files on my laptop. I would just reinstall the game, but I can't find anything to uninstall in the first place.
    This happened to me. This exact thing happened to me; I think I solved it by putting in the Morrowind disk, and then digging through the files directly on it for the folder with the uninstall program. Though in general, I tinkered with things blindly and Morrowind was off my computer.

Anyway, that's enough about my computer incompetence. Back to the topic of Skyrim.
    I want something in Skyrim allowing for necromancy. You know, just for a topic change thataways.

Maybe a faction of necromancers or a spell or a ritual. Just, something necromancy.

I want corpses. To, uh, kill things for me, I mean.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    This happened to me. This exact thing happened to me; I think I solved it by putting in the Morrowind disk, and then digging through the files directly on it for the folder with the uninstall program. Though in general, I tinkered with things blindly and Morrowind was off my computer.
    That sounds like a good idea, actually. I think that I'll stop messing around with the command prompt before I screw something up and try that.

I want something in Skyrim allowing for necromancy. You know, just for a topic change thataways.

Maybe a faction of necromancers or a spell or a ritual. Just, something necromancy.

I want corpses. To, uh, kill things for me, I mean.
    Yes. Among other things, I'm hoping for a way to become a Lich, as I've said before in another thread.

Also, speaking of a Necromancy faction, I hope that there are some conflicting factions. For instance, if the Mages Guild questline involves fighting Necromancers again, then the player would have the option of joining the Necromancer faction for an alternative questline. They could have something like that for a number of different factions, like the Morag Tong/the Dark Brotherhood, the Mages Guild/the Necromancer's Cult, the Imperial Guard/the Thieves' Guild, and so on.

14. - Top - End - #254

Are the Morag Tong international? I know in Morrowind you can't join them on account of them hating your guts for being Outsider...

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

15. - Top - End - #255

Are the Morag Tong international? I know in Morrowind you can't join them on account of them hating your guts for being Outsider...
    You can join the Morag Tong in Morrowind, I think you mean the Cammona Tong.

Though I'd imagine neither of those are international dealies.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

a) You mistake them with the Camonna Tong - they were the joinable assassins guild
    b)They weren't - and likely got eradicated after Morrowind was hit with the Ministry, Red Mountain exploded and Argonians invaded.

eh, swordsage'd...
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2011-08-21 at 09:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257

I'd imagine if the Morag Tong were still around after all of that, they'd be in some hidden corner of Mainland Morrowind not doing much of anything specific to anybody anyway. But at least some of them probably lived through all of the hell that hit the island. But the 'hidden in a corner' thing would still stand.

Maybe you'll find a refugee from the Morag Tong in Skyrim- I remember reading somewhere that an explanation for why there'd be a bunch of Dark Elves in Nord-country was that a ton of survivors from the destruction of Vvardenfell moved westward. At least one needs to be in that game, at least one.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    I'd imagine if the Morag Tong were still around after all of that, they'd be in some hidden corner of Mainland Morrowind not doing much of anything specific to anybody anyway. But at least some of them probably lived through all of the hell that hit the island. But the 'hidden in a corner' thing would still stand.

Maybe you'll find a refugee from the Morag Tong in Skyrim- I remember reading somewhere that an explanation for why there'd be a bunch of Dark Elves in Nord-country was that a ton of survivors from the destruction of Vvardenfell moved westward. At least one needs to be in that game, at least one.
    I'd think there would be a few Dunmer there anyway, seeing as Solstheim isn't that far away from Skyrim. Especially since Raven Rock had a decent amount of people there before it apparently went bankrupt.

19. - Top - End - #259

I can see that, and regular emigration happens, but at the same time, Dunmer natives weren't exactly lining up for trips to 'that island in the north that the Nords used to shoot at us from' in the beginning of the whole operation. And racial undertones (or overtones) would probably keep the mass majority of them home or near-so, as I always had the impression that, while they weren't as hated as some other races, Dunmer feelings towards Nords was, in general, a feeling of an old enemy that survived despite all a people's trying.

I'm thinking that Dunmer would be going from Morrowind to Skyrim either because they weren't racist and were tired of Morrowind, or they were in some sort of trade deal and had to make the trip. If Dunmer come to be a common sight in the north, it can be explained away now as a consequence of their country being decimated.

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    You can join the Morag Tong in Morrowind, I think you mean the Cammona Tong.

Though I'd imagine neither of those are international dealies.
    Right. Silly Tong people.

I remember seeing concept art the Tamriel Rebuilt team of another Tong group based in Hammerfell...

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    b)They weren't - and likely got eradicated after Morrowind was hit with the Ministry, Red Mountain exploded and Argonians invaded.
    Wait, when did that happen? Is that what happens at the end of the Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon main quests?

On a side note, Cobalt's suggestion worked. Soon, now, I will rule all of Vvardenfell as the Dark Lord of Tel Uvirith! Mwuahahahahahaha!

Unless, of course, I can find somewhere better. Tel Uvirith has a noticeable lack of appropriate rooms to turn into a library or an Alchemy lab. Still, the huge dungeon and the construct guards are really nice.

22. - Top - End - #262

Wait, when did that happen? Is that what happens at the end of the Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon main quests?
    It happens in the rather dire book The Infernal City written by that one chap.

They're supposedly canon.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

It happens in the rather dire book The Infernal City written by that one chap.

They're supposedly canon.
    Yeah, It's officially considered canon, endorsed by the TES team and everything. It's events take place after
    Spoiler
    Show
    Martin Septim becomes the Avatar of Akatosh and fights off Mehrunes at the end of Oblivion"
    and is basically the next two hundreds years after that took place. Btw, the Mages guild is no more, at least according to that book. Not to say there might not be individual mages guilds operating, but there is no over-arching hierarchy to be followed anymore, at least according to "The Infernal City"

24. - Top - End - #264

Then again, he also managed to spell it "Soulsthiem" so I personally have stuck my fingers in my ears and am yelling LALALALALA

especially when everyone's favourite Hlaalu councillor was almost certainly killed

RIP Uncle Crassius
    BANG → !

25. - Top - End - #265

Cobalt's suggestion worked.
    This is good, and it rolls off the tongue.

RIP Uncle Crassius
    I am almost willing to bet everything that he got out in one piece. Somehow.

Almost.

I wonder if it's that writer's fault. Or if he was told, "hey, this event that kills everyone needs to happen, now go write the rest of the book that will go with it."
    Last edited by Cobalt; 2011-08-22 at 08:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Then again, he also managed to spell it "Soulsthiem" so I personally have stuck my fingers in my ears and am yelling LALALALALA

especially when everyone's favourite Hlaalu councillor was almost certainly killed

RIP Uncle Crassius
    lmao, I have never wanted to run my sword through someone more in any video game then I have with Crassius. Sick perverted bastard >< He got annihilated after I gained all the votes from the other houses :)

27. - Top - End - #267

OldWizardGuy

I read that -a conference whose name I forgot- is going to allow players to actually play the game. This is supposed to happen in a couple days.

Youtube will hopefully have new footage soon!

28. - Top - End - #268

I really want to mod the heck out of Morrowind and play it again before Skyrim. Maybe after I finish DA2 ...
    JediSoth
    Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author, Gamer, Foodie
    Doctor StrangeRoll or How I learned to stop worrying and love all D&D

"The quality of our legacy is measured in the lives we touch."

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

To give an idea what character creation allows and what players can look like, they posted the preset character templates on Bethblog. They look pretty awesome. Totally metal.

http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/20...ces-of-skyrim/

It's nice to see the races of Tamriel now that Bethesda's moved past the graphical rut that was Oblivion. (Which was a wonderful game, just one with horrible character creation)

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talvereaux View Post
    To give an idea what character creation allows and what players can look like, they posted the preset character templates on Bethblog. They look pretty awesome. Totally metal.

http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/20...ces-of-skyrim/

It's nice to see the races of Tamriel now that Bethesda's moved past the graphical rut that was Oblivion. (Which was a wonderful game, just one with horrible character creation)
    By the Nine Divines, character models that don't look totally stupid? Bethesda, you've really outdone yourselves this time.