New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Not Familiar With High-Level D&D

I had a player who expressed interest in doing a one-shot dragon-slaying encounter after reading Draconomicon and seeing the Dragonslayer prestige class. I worked with him to do a few homebrew changes to it and make it a 10-level base class instead of going through prerequisites (player abhors casting, so I replaced casting with benefits like feats from Draconomicon related to killing dragons and other things, I know, not even remotely the same, but whatever). I told him he could also build a second character of any sort to tag along at the same level. I figured I'd go ahead and stat out a Red Dragon of some sort and go from there.

The problem is that I've never played a game of D&D that went above level four. I've never really dealt much with wealth-by-level. We play at a low optimization threshold.

So, playground, I basically have three questions:

1. What treasure would you consider "standard" for a tenth level martial character within 10th level WBL?
    I don't know what +X Whatever weapons and armor are the usual, and I don't even know what AC or saves are even supposed to look like by this point.

2. What sort of goodies would you give to a character whose whole schtick is killing dragons?
    I'd really prefer if people could source items, but I can look through my collection if not. I figure a bane weapon of some sort is obvious, but I don't really know where else to look.

3. Considering the Dragonslayer would be at an advantage in his area of expertise, what would be an appropriate Red Dragon challenge for two PCs?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Not Familiar With High-Level D&D

2 level 10 characters?
    Unless one is a wizard with a maximized shivering touch, then a standard CR 10 dragon played intelligently would be more than enough of a challenge. They're really difficult fights for their CR, and CR assumes a party of 4...

Just give him the amount of money listed in the DMG for a 10th level character, and let him buy his own stuff.

Maybe instead of jumping to level 10, you guys should just build up to it. Make a level 5 character, do some arena style combat with various enemies.
    Then make (or level to) a level 6 character.
    Tada! You've just discovered the basics of level grinding.
    Every few levels, let him go back and tweak gear, while stayng within wealth by level as he discovers what works, and what looks like it works, but sucks.

For dragonslaying, has he (and you) looked at the Vassal of Bahamat in Book of Exalted Deeds?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Just give him the amount of money listed in the DMG for a 10th level character, and let him buy his own stuff.
    That's the idea, but I was more wondering exactly what to expect, as he's never played at that level before either. The idea is that I don't want to suggest, "Sure, get that awesome looking sword and a bow to go with it! Armor? Uh, I dunno."

Maybe instead of jumping to level 10, you guys should just build up to it. Make a level 5 character, do some arena style combat with various enemies.
    Then make (or level to) a level 6 character.
    Tada! You've just discovered the basics of level grinding.
    Every few levels, let him go back and tweak gear, while stayng within wealth by level as he discovers what works, and what looks like it works, but sucks.
    That's not a bad idea, but it was specifically mentioned as a one-shot, as we both want to get back to our regularly scheduled Castlevania game this was a side distraction while our other players are off doing... I don't know what. Haven't heard from most of the group for a while.

For dragonslaying, has he (and you) looked at the Vassal of Bahamat in Book of Exalted Deeds?
    I had not. It's not usually a book I check into, honestly. But if you say it's worth looking into, then aye, aye!

Thanks for replying, mate.
    Last edited by Dsurion; 2011-10-05 at 12:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

You guys could do it as a side thing here on the pbp forums. Might seem a little odd since you're in a game in real life, but oh well.

Useful items?
    There's so many, but I imagine that you both only have a limited supply of books. So I'd expect just basic things like cloak of resistance, +X sword, +Y armor.
    As a hint, if he can get good miss chances (>25%), that will help him better than a high AC.
    For the secondary PC he'll be controlling, I'd suggest caster of some sort.

Vassal, it's liked by some, disliked by others.
    THe main thing is 'dragonwrack.' If he hits a dragon, that's permanent damage to its HP. If it hits him, it still takes permanent damage. Great for Hit and Run tactics. Also, he's got some free armor, and bonus gold.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well, items that I sugest:

Hanks energybow: Bow

After that prolly a +1 DragonBane greatsword or a Spellstoring sword, with in it a Maximized Shivering Touch (from his 2nd character).

He hits he scores type of deal .

Armor, preferably with energy resistance crystals from the MIC.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    You guys could do it as a side thing here on the pbp forums. Might seem a little odd since you're in a game in real life, but oh well.
    I'll definitely have to ask him to consider it.

Useful items?
    There's so many, but I imagine that you both only have a limited supply of books. So I'd expect just basic things like cloak of resistance, +X sword, +Y armor.
    That right there. That's what I don't know about. I'm sure it's idiotic to carry a +1 sword and mundane armor at that level, but I don't know what the "expected" amount for X to be at level 10 in any of the equipment. I'm sure there's variance depending on class and other equipment, but I'm sure there's a baseline somewhere.

Also, if it helps, you can suggest anything from any book. I'm sure we'll collectively have whatever. We have access to a pretty large pool of books, including Magic Item Compendium and all of the Dragon-related books and Completes, and a lot of others... I should really update my OP to reflect this...

As a hint, if he can get good miss chances (>25%), that will help him better than a high AC.
    Gotcha.

For the secondary PC he'll be controlling, I'd suggest caster of some sort.
    I was most likely going to suggest a tricked out buffer Bard or a buffer Cleric. That's a whole 'nother mess, but I can muddle through that well enough on my own. I've lurked on this board long enough and read some of the handbooks to get the gist of the best cleric and bard options... I hope

Vassal, it's liked by some, disliked by others.
    THe main thing is 'dragonwrack.' If he hits a dragon, that's permanent damage to its HP. If it hits him, it still takes permanent damage. Great for Hit and Run tactics. Also, he's got some free armor, and bonus gold.
    That ability is pretty boss. And that armor is pretty sexy for being free. I like where this is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskranger View Post
    After that prolly a +1 DragonBane greatsword or a Spellstoring sword, with in it a Maximized Shivering Touch (from his 2nd character).
    Shivering Touch? I'm not sure what you're talking about. There's a big red VERBOTEN stamp where that spell should be in my copy of Frostburn

Armor, preferably with energy resistance crystals from the MIC.
    I totally forgot about weapon and armor crystals. Thanks!
    Last edited by Dsurion; 2011-10-05 at 01:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Well armor enchantments go with this price progression
    +1=1000
    +2=4000
    +3=9k
    +4=16k
    +5=25k
    And weapons cost double that. So 10th level WBL a +4 armor and +3 weapon is over half of your money right there. (probably 2/3 of it)
    Boots: Steadfast boots from MiC if he wields a 2 handed weapon. Freely set it against any charges without wasting an action. Does double damage. And that's even with nonsensical weapons like the spiked chain. (I don't know if it would double the dragonwrack or not. Probably not, since I don't think flaming/frost would be doubled either)

Shivering touch is banned? Heh.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    Shivering Touch? I'm not sure what you're talking about. There's a big red VERBOTEN stamp where that spell should be in my copy of Frostburn

I totally forgot about weapon and armor crystals. Thanks!
    That's why dragonbane is also possible. And the caster can still know ray of clumsiness, which means 1d6+1/3 casterlevels of Dex Damage.

And armor crystals are nice since they can grant element protection. Besides that if the dragon tries to go close combat there is as a problem that hitting needs to be done, maybe give the dragonslayer instead of casting maneuvers from ToB.

Weaponcrystals are also nice, but I don't know the best ones for fighting dragons.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

A Wizard at that level should have at least one solid fog handy. That'll slow the Dragon so much he can't remain aloft.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!