New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eastern Tarthenol [IC]

The lorekeeper clicks his tongue in obvious pleasure, as though instructing you on the obvious,
    Well of course, The Faded Hill is the purported lair of the current Orc raiders. Or at the very least, their current leader is always said to reside there. There were a number of "final scourging" expeditions in the distant past to rid the continent of the Orcs, but the last was some seventy years ago. The raiders still have quite the firm hold on the surrounding lands and the mountains themselves.

As for the tree... there should in fact be a small copse there, but nobody ever seems to remember that. A great wizard of the past, sometimes said to be one of the Creshians or the Emperor's advisor or some recent mysterious archmage... it's all quite unclear really, is said to have communed with the supernatural and gained great power. All the stories mention a large wilting tree at the site where the figures communed. Perhaps a desperate dryad, a thinning of the cosmic walls, or something more sinister? Who can say.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar thinks on this for a moment. A wilted tree of great power? AND the gravesite of the emperor... that is promising. But one last thing was bothering him.

"I recall you mentioning there are holes in the earth all over the place around here, but I see no markings to indicate caverns, ruins, or tombs. Are there actually none noteworthy enough? Or simply too numerous to bother?"
    Last edited by Winged_Immortal; 2011-08-13 at 03:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243

Rather too numerous.. the fractures in the land from the original creation of the great rift shook the land and caused it to be riddled with more caverns than the natural landscape would have normally. I imagine they'd be boring caverns, perhaps a few naturally developing aquifers? If they connect to the rift or The Pit itself.. well there might be some more dangerous inhabitants.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Is there a organization in the city that I could contact regarding unexplored or known dangerous caverns? And about requesting a guide to the caves in question?"

5. - Top - End - #245

The lorekeeper looks thoughtful for a moment and absentmindedly runs his hands over the books.
    I wouldn't know any direct contacts, but I do deal quite often with cartographers. They have mentioned in the past that there is some exploration done by private parties. I believe they mentioned a tavern.. The Eased Night, on the west end of town. You could at least start your inquiries there.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar gets up and reaches his hand out for a shake as he thanks the man.

"I must thank you for the information you've given me today. Hopefully I'll be able to put it to good use."

With that, Gaspar leaves out onto the street and heads toward the west side of town, inquiring along the way for more specific directions to the tavern.

7. - Top - End - #247

The tavern seems infamous, although for no direct reason that anybody you ask lets on. You easily get directions and find a two-story building propped against the collapsing outer wall of the city. From the placing of the windows on the upper floor the rooms are cramped and you doubt Augh would sleep comfortably without rolling onto his side. There are simple curtains of hide or felt on the lower windows and a fine, black, wooden door with a simple metal latch is the only visible entrance.

To the left there is a narrow dark alley, with the adjacent building on that side appearing to be abandoned and half collapsed. To the right, the tavern butts against a tinkerer's shop of some sort, although the sign above the door is in a language you can't read.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar prepares himself for whatever might be inside and opens the door, looking around cautiously for any indication of where he could go from here, in looking for what he wants.

9. - Top - End - #249

As you open the door a wave of thick smoke wafts out of the room. A narcotic scent fills the interior and it is impossible to see to the far wall. Otherwise, the inside of The Eased Night looks like many other taverns you've seen. Dark, grimy, and full of people talking quietly at their own tables. In one corner is a small raised stage where a minstrel is perched on a stool, plucking out a light word-less melody over the chatter. The innkeeper is behind a crowded, but immaculately clean, bar to your left.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar walks steadily over to the innkeeper and bids him hello.

Afternoon! Name's Gaspar. I'm interested in acquiring information and possibly a guide to local unexplored or dangerous caves. A scholar of Pelor told me I may find luck here."

11. - Top - End - #251

As you approach the bar you see more features of the innkeeper than you could through the haze. He's nearly as tall as Augh and muscled like a minotaur, although with his red shirt on you can't see how hairy his chest is. He puts down the bottle he was drinking from and squints down at you.
    I don't know any scholars of Pelor, and I don't sell luck. If ya aren't buying anything, don't talk to me.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar frowns and looks around.

"So this isn't the place to look if I was to try to acquire a guide and information about the caves in the region? That's a shame, although at the least I WILL have a drink while I'm here. What's a mug of ale?"

13. - Top - End - #253

The bartender puts down a mug and accepts your silver, he then grunts out,
    I don't guide anybody, and I rarely tell people how to get anywhere, unless it's a quick trip down The Pit to the nine hells. If one of my customer's is selling their services, go ask them about it. I'm not the secretary for everybody who drinks in my place.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar sits down and enjoys his drink, making very, very small talk with the no nonsense bartender before leaving a 1 gold piece tip and getting up to try to find a person in the bar familiar with the caverns in the countryside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather information: Ranger or something
    (1d20+4)[5]

15. - Top - End - #255

You slowly make your way through the bar trying to get information. Eventually, you get directed to a table which is either explorers, or tailors. The man at the other table wasn't so much speaking as vomiting a language that might have passed for common.

The table has four men sitting at it, and you pull a chair from a nearby table and sit down with them.
    So. I hear you are looking to do a bit of exploring around the outskirts of the city? Me and my men do some side work for cartographers and the occasional odd-job to map some of the cave systems for private recruiters. We'd love to see if we can help you... but first.. what are you looking for and how big is your wallet?

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive (1d20-1)[14]

Gaspar feels relieved that the people he is speaking to seem to be legitimately interested in aiding him.

"Well. I'm an adventurer, first of all. I'm looking for any unexplored caverns, or known dangerous caverns. And as for how much I'm willing to spend. Well. That entirely depends on what you can assist me with. I assure you I have an adequate pocket with which to fund a guide and for the information you can provide me and my companion."
    Last edited by Winged_Immortal; 2011-08-13 at 08:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257

Known dangerous, eh? Well, we have been trying to get our thumb on top of a little system only two days to the west. Problem is, once we're past the breached light.. people start going missing. We'd have called it a loss, but it looks like their might be some profitable metals down there, and we've got a bit of a finder's fee system on finding mining hotspots. We even saw signs of some ruins down there, which might tweak your interests. Nothin' we could make out, but maybe you'd have better luck.

Down to figures. It's 50g to have us guide you out there, set you up with some climbing equipment. Fifty more and we'll not cut the ropes once you're down there.

The man smiles warmly, as though this is a reasonable deal he is advertising, and he is doing *you* a favor by offering it.
    For another 400, you could have one of my trusted men risk life and limb to go down with you. We don't know the mapping of these caves yet, but they're all seasoned men with a knack for this work. Of course, the man that goes down with you is then liable to collect a portion of anything pricey you find, but that's only fair.
    Last edited by 0nimaru; 2011-08-13 at 08:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar rubs the stubble that's grown since he last shaved and answers a moment later.

"Well, that sounds reasonably fair. 100 gold to be guided out and still have a rope when we climb back up? When would you be willing to head out? I can contact my associate and probably have him ready in just a day or two. As for your trusted associate... I think we will find it to be beneficial to have another hand along. Never know what's making the men go missing, after all."

19. - Top - End - #259

I've got a guy in mind for the job. Give us three days to get gear prepped. We'll need a way to contact you so he can lead ya out there. He'll be packing torches and some basic climbing utilities, but if ya want anything magical that packs more punch.. ya have to bring your own toys. I'll take the 100 now and our man will take his 300 when he meets you.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar reaches into his pocket and counts out 100 gold pieces, handing them over.
    "Well, I'll see your associates in a few days then. I'll go notify my own associate taht we'll head out 3 days from now. Best to both of you."

Gaspar nods to both and heads on his way out of the tavern, and heads to the Highgate Traders, to leave a message for Auugh, and after doing so, heads home after a relatively long day.
    Last edited by Winged_Immortal; 2011-08-13 at 09:12 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261

Edit in any actions to be responded before reading below.

Three days later
    Spoiler
    Show
    You wake up to knocking on your door. When you stumble away from your bedding to groggily answer, you see Augh there before you. You are reminded of the similar scene a month ago, when Augh came to pick you up for your first trip with the Highgates. Detracting from the memory is the fact that Augh is holding a man's head in the air like a ragdoll with one of his enormous hands and appears to have been knocking on the door with the side of the man's face. He smiles when you open the door and greets you happily,

Gasp! I got yer message. Ya got some new fun for us already! You don't take much downtime for rest, do ya? HA HA HA!
    I noticed this fella here stalking outside of your door all sneaky-like. I'd say he was trying to break in.. funny enough
    *Augh scratches his head in though*he was actually standing right in front of the door. So I guess he isn't a very quiet thief.

Examining the man Augh is holding, it is hard to place his clothing. He wears a light and flexible leather suit with buckles and straps. There are coils of rope hooped through slots hanging from his back, and there are two lumpy brown bags on the ground. It is possible he dropped them when he was picked up by Augh.
    Last edited by 0nimaru; 2011-08-14 at 02:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar sees Auugh holding the man he paid for by the neck and shouts in surprise and frustration.

"Auugh! No! I paid good money for him! He's coming with us!"

After Auugh puts the man down Gaspar calms down and looks back at Auugh.

"I appreciate the gesture of trying to stop a thief. It was very kind of you. I suppose I should have mentioned we would have a third companion. From the sound of it this cave is going to be rather dangerous, so I hired an extra hand. He'll get a cut, but its better to split it a third way than to be dead."

Gaspar then looks down to the sputtering man and asks

"You alright? I assure you Auugh didn't mean it. He was trying to defend me."

23. - Top - End - #263

Augh looks slightly confused for a moment, and then gingerly sets the mans feet on the ground. The man wobbles for half of a second before collapsing onto his bags.
    Well of course, just helping a friend in trouble. Just as much, I'd like to think I was making the city a better place. I'm prac-ti-cally a one-guy force for good, cleanin' up the streets of The Pit.
    Augh smiles proudly at the image of himself he has conjured.

After a moment gathering his breath, the man on the ground picks himself up and hefts up both bags. His face looks puffy and red, and his nose may be broken.
    I've had worse before.. although that was at the bottom of a long shaft when my rope broke, and not-so-much in the city against a door.

He tosses one of the bags he was carrying to you.
    There's your equipment. Basic harness, extra lengths of rope, and a bulls-eye, just in case ya get separated from me. Most of the accidents have been happening just moments after we exit the light-breach, so we'll have to be on guard pretty fast.

Anything else ya need?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar smiles as he imagines Auugh in a mask, running around town tying up criminals.

"I'm sure you do a fine job of it, too, Auugh."

He catches the bag, somewhat surprised at the lightness of the pack, setting it down and retrieving his own pack from inside and securing the two together.

"And we have no idea what it is that has been killing the men? Other than that, I'm ready to go so long as Auugh is too."

Gaspar looks back and forth between both men, ready on their mark.

25. - Top - End - #265

The man shoulders his pack and begins to walk. You and Augh follow, and as he leads you out of the city, he talks.
    Name's Flatterly, by the way. And that'd be a no. We don't rightly know what killed any of the men that went down, since it was taken out everybody down the hole in a quick fashion. We don't even know if it a beasty eatin' em right there or something smarter that was dragging em off. There was a week between the two groups that went down the hole, and the second group went down with picks and shortswords. Didn't do em much good though, since as I hear it the things got the jump on em.

You travel west for the entire length of the day. Flatterly builds a camp fire and you all sleep under the stars. You wake early and travel the next day on foot as well. This land you pass is wild and overgrown and you see no farmhouses or outposts once you've left the city. The ground has the look of once fertile land, with occasional fields of wheat that may have been maintained at some point in the distant past. Late into the second day the overgrown fields and plains turn into flat green grasslands with occasional dips in the terrain. There is a small forest off to the north on the horizon.

Flatterly leads you to one of these dips in the land and you note the sun is about an hour from setting. With obvious expertise, Flatterly locates firm points in the ground and begins hammering metal spikes into the ground. He begins to unbundle lengths of smooth rope and begins to wind it around the spikes. He tosses the rest down the hole, grabs the hammer, and continues his work down the shaft. He expertly positions and supports himself, allowing him to secure the rope he climbed down on around the new pitons he's hammering in.

26. - Top - End - #266

You hear the hammering continue as the sun continues to set. Eventually, Flatterly dexterously climbs back out of the hole and addresses you and Augh,
    Well, there's the rope set down most of the way. I didn't hammer anything in the last 30 feet or so since the light was poor, but worst case is you drop that distance and that won't do much harm.

Now.. whatever nasty is in the cave probably doesn't care if it's night or day, but we're all tired from marching and I'd rather die with a nice nip of breakfast in me. I'll make camp for now and we'll head down with the dawn.

With that, you all set up camp and settle down to sleep. You notice that Flatterly subtlely positions his bedroll so that you and Augh are between him and the cave entrance. Despite this ominous note, you sleep through the night and awake fully rested. Augh prepares trail sausages from his provisions for breakfast, and you put on your climbing harness while he cooks. Fed and prepared, Augh is the first do go down. He has no climbing gear and seems to have some difficulty with a few narrow places where the sword on his back keeps hindering him. When he reaches the bottom he sets up an open-lamp and calls for you two to follow him. Flatterly waves his hand towards the hole,
    I'll follow from behind you. I can mask the spikes so no traveling bandits see them and decide to setup camp to wait for us to exit.

With the sun still rising, the shaft becomes dark very quickly. After twenty feet the walls narrow and the only light comes from Augh's lamp below you. You squeeze down, thankful for the reassuring pitons embedded in the walls, and your harness attached to the ropes saves you more than once as you feel your footing slip.

Skill Check
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-1)[2]

As you feel Augh's light getting closer, you notice the rope become looser in your hand. You realize this is the point Flatterly mentioned where he had stopped hammering in the spikes. You try your best to be careful as you climb the last stretch, but panic flares up in your mind and your palms being to sweat. You lose your grip and fall.
    Last edited by 0nimaru; 2011-08-15 at 07:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267

Only a second later you crash onto the ground. You feel sore, but probably better than Flannery's face did as it met your front door two days ago.

Fall Damage
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[10]

Augh gives you a hand and you brush yourself off. Flatterly comes down just moments behind you, nimbly clinging to the wall and avoiding both of you as he hops the last few feet. He looks to you and speaks,
    Well alright then. That's one way to speed up the process, but the toll it takes on one's looks is quite harsh. I've got ya down here and I plan to follow you, but you're the boss as to where we go.

The cavern around you is damp and smoothed down by ages of exposure. The landing you are on is a rough circle 8 feet in diameter. Two obvious avenues present themselves. To the right, the floor slopes slightly downward, and small trickles of water have carved grooved surfaces into the floor. In front of you (South? You were badly turned around when you fell.) the ground goes forward at an even pace and then turns. The floor in that direction is mostly dry and ungrooved.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gaspar gets to his feet and brushes himself off before lighting a torch and pulling out his wand of Inflict Moderate Wounds. He holds the torch high and looks around before considering the two paths.

"Well... I'm no expert but water's a good thing, right? Let's go that way first. Everything ok Auugh? Need anything before we set out?"

Gaspar looks over his shoulder to his companions before setting out closer to the wet path.

29. - Top - End - #269

You lead the way down the watery path with Augh behind you and Flannerly taking up the rear. As the cave ceiling blocks out the view of the sky above, you hear a growl and a beast charges at you out of the darkness.

Roll Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show
    Init (1d20+9)[15]
    Attack (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage (1d4)[3]
    Sneak Attack (2d6)[6]

The small human-esque creature darts out of the darkness and swipes a claw at you [3 damage]. As it contacts your body, there is an odd surge in the touch, and from the cave around you two spiked bits of wood surge and strike you [6 damage].
    Last edited by 0nimaru; 2011-08-17 at 04:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[7]

Gaspar eyes the creature with half curiosity and half contempt, attempting to determine just what the hell it is.

"Well now... what are you?"

Note
    Spoiler
    Show
    Removed rest of post for not having initiative at all.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Winged_Immortal; 2011-08-17 at 06:37 PM.