New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 3.S: Welcome to Falcora

That makes a lot of sense. A cleric interested in battle should be much better in melee than one interested in healing. Still, maybe start a bit more moderately, and so have domains give bonuses and penalties to balance out other abilities and usefulness of spells.
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I hate when other people do this, but I have a suggestion on the divine class front. I made a class that sounds almost exactly like what you are talking about, only slightly different. It is called the Priest. Basically, the idea is that the Priest character chooses domains and he only gets spells from those domains (in addition, he can only cast up to seventh level spells). He also gains class features specifically from those domains (for instance, a Priest with the Animal domain gains scent and a bonus to survival at third level, can gain claws at seventh level, a bonus to melee damage against an opponent every time he deals damage to that opponent at eleventh level, he gains the effects of pounce by spending a smite attempt [the smites for this class affects creatures that do not believe in the same religion than the Priest, rather than being alignment based, and are per encounter] at fifteenth level, and once per day may shift into an animal, gaining their size, type, ability scores, movement speeds, extraordinary abilities, and skill bonuses at level nineteen). The domains that they gain as they level up give them fewer and fewer actual abilities, the last giving them nothing but spells.

The domains don't change the chassis of the priest, but that is not a bad idea at all.

I hate to suggest classes or be like "here, use this" and frivolously advertise, but if you don't feel like writing out the spheres, or to do all of that work, I think the Priest seems to work fairly well, and you can feel free to adapt it as much as you want. If you have no intention of using the Priest, and want to make it yourself (I know plenty of people who take that route, and who refuse to use other people's homebrew, and I can completely respect that), the more power to you.

This looks like an absolutely fantastic setting, and if you want any help, feel free to ask me.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Well, I hate when other people do this, but I have a suggestion on the divine class front. I made a class that sounds almost exactly like what you are talking about, only slightly different. It is called the Priest. Basically, the idea is that the Priest character chooses domains and he only gets spells from those domains (in addition, he can only cast up to seventh level spells). He also gains class features specifically from those domains (for instance, a Priest with the Animal domain gains scent and a bonus to survival at third level, can gain claws at seventh level, a bonus to melee damage against an opponent every time he deals damage to that opponent at eleventh level, he gains the effects of pounce by spending a smite attempt [the smites for this class affects creatures that do not believe in the same religion than the Priest, rather than being alignment based, and are per encounter] at fifteenth level, and once per day may shift into an animal, gaining their size, type, ability scores, movement speeds, extraordinary abilities, and skill bonuses at level nineteen). The domains that they gain as they level up give them fewer and fewer actual abilities, the last giving them nothing but spells.

The domains don't change the chassis of the priest, but that is not a bad idea at all.

I hate to suggest classes or be like "here, use this" and frivolously advertise, but if you don't feel like writing out the spheres, or to do all of that work, I think the Priest seems to work fairly well, and you can feel free to adapt it as much as you want. If you have no intention of using the Priest, and want to make it yourself (I know plenty of people who take that route, and who refuse to use other people's homebrew, and I can completely respect that), the more power to you.

This looks like an absolutely fantastic setting, and if you want any help, feel free to ask me.
    It's an interesting concept, and I might use some of those concepts, but it doesn't really fit what I'm trying to do.

On another note, I'm going to update the Cosmology.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'm going to start focusing heavily on mechanics and getting all the custom classes down. If I get all the mechanics down, then I can run one-off modules to beta-test all this new content to see if it really hangs together like it should.

If that works, then we can start fluffing out the world.

So, brainstorm time.

Priest: Gains additional bonuses depending on domain. MUST worship a deity. Gains all domains that deity possesses, may spontaneously cast from those domains, but gets NO additional spells known.

Paladin: Since we are using ToB material, we're going to need to completely revamp the pally. Toss the 'stick up the pigu' code of honor. Must worship a deity, and alignment must match the deity's. Now we need something that will differentiate him from the Crusader, something synergistic. I liked the idea of the Auras from D2, maybe importing auras similar to Marshall? Also maybe some SLA's or class abilities related to being holy warriors? I'm thinking they are more the leaders, and crusaders are more the wade-in-and-kill-them type.

Summoner: Think 'Magician' from Everquest. Works with elementals. Pacts with specific elementals to summon that particular one repeatedly. As a result, pacted elementals also gains HD when the Summoner levels, increasing in size as the HD increases. Can also cast Summon Nature's Ally X spells (no unicorns, no Genies, and no Fae). Has a number of mostly buffs, and an ability to 'auto-buff' summons. Also has limited blastomancy from the Conjuration college.

If you haven't looked at the links to the Arcanist, Wylder, and Bard classes I made on the invocation system, I highly suggest you do so and give me some feedback. Do you like the idea, is it interesting? Would you want to play one?
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Thats good.

paladins are now Knights instead of samu-kngihts.

Paladin1:im bored, nothing to kill!
    Paladin2:lets go on a crusade and kill some heretics!
    Paladin3:yeah! and claim were doing this for the honor stuff!
    Paladin1:ummmm... who are the heretics actually?
    Paladin4:i think they are evryone who doesnt worship Suypo.
    Paladin2:so lets kill them all!
    Despite everything, its still me.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Thats good.

paladins are now Knights instead of samu-kngihts.

Paladin1:im bored, nothing to kill!
    Paladin2:lets go on a crusade and kill some heretics!
    Paladin3:yeah! and claim were doing this for the honor stuff!
    Paladin1:ummmm... who are the heretics actually?
    Paladin4:i think they are evryone who doesnt worship Suypo.
    Paladin2:so lets kill them all!
    In essence to your statement, yes.

Paladins are Knights in a deity's service. There is a camaraderie, or at least respect, among them, even among those with opposing alignments.

Remember, this is a crapsack world in which even the Evil deities acknowledge that 'we must all hang together, or we shall all hang separately'. The Evil deities believe that we have to save the world in order to rule it. The Good deities just want to save the world, because it's on the brink of extinction.

There's a friendly rivalry between the LG deity and the LE deity, because they're trying to one-up each other and prove which one is the better protector for their people, because the outcome may well decide the overall alignment of the next era. Right now, the LE deity won't rock the boat, but if things get more stable... well... he IS evil. But right now, he feels he is accomplishing his goals better by being a better protector, and being able to make the 'tough' decisions to see that the majority of the population as a whole continues to thrive.

So religious persecution is not something that happens a lot, since all the deities want to work together... at least for now.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Well, some people think the deity/god talk to them.

Paladins 1 2 3 and 4: you are not my god! you are an imposter! Suypo talks to US! not you! you are Eucronius probably! now stop trying to ruin our holy and rightous crusade for borde knights!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Well, some people think the deity/god talk to them.

Paladins 1 2 3 and 4: you are not my god! you are an imposter! Suypo talks to US! not you! you are Eucronius probably! now stop trying to ruin our holy and rightous crusade for borde knights!
    Yea, that's when the deity manifests and gives them a final opportunity to redeem their actions before summarily executing them.

Being a divine class means doing what your deity tells you to do. Pretending to worship them while using it to further your own personal and political goals tends to really piss them off... and they ARE taking a more direct hand these days...
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

hmmm ok...

so if the gods are friendly to each outer, then there need to be 2 pantheons to fight each outer for domination.

one wants to restore then control, the outer wants to control then restore.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

hmmm ok...

so if the gods are friendly to each outer, then there need to be 2 pantheons to fight each outer for domination.

one wants to restore then control, the outer wants to control then restore.
    One word: Why?
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Conflicts make the world exist.

also for the charecters to chose a pantheon and help it.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Conflicts make the world exist.

also for the charecters to chose a pantheon and help it.
    No. There's enough conflict just trying to survive without needing to stick any oars in.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Updates:

Posted the Priest base class as a divine caster who can contribute without being either overpowering or underwhelming.

Working on:

Summoner base class. Look at the outline so far on the second post, this is going to be interesting. I'd like some feedback on using Summon Nature's Ally rather than Summon Monster. I think it works, even if it does seem a bit... odd.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Interesting stuff all around, definitely interested in the priest. Not sure rewriting the bard or a few others is necessary, but I'll hold judging that till i see what your trying to do with it.
    That said it seems to me this setting would lend itself to that e6 system nicely.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    Interesting stuff all around, definitely interested in the priest. Not sure rewriting the bard or a few others is necessary, but I'll hold judging that till i see what your trying to do with it.
    That said it seems to me this setting would lend itself to that e6 system nicely.
    Yea, I'd bet it would work fantastically with E6 systems.

Check out the link for my new Bard. It's an Invocation-based class (like Warlock), which has Bardic Music that can either grant bonuses, or grant opponents penalties, depending on how you use it. Bonuses/penalties can be applied to various numbers, depending on your level.

I can empathize with ya, Bards are a fun class by themselves, but they require so many sourcebooks to make 'work' properly, that I thought I'd try something that does the job 'in house'.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Okay, I have to hand it to ya, that is one revised bard that I can approve of.
    (the option to inspire failure is cool)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    Okay, I have to hand it to ya, that is one revised bard that I can approve of.
    (the option to inspire failure is cool)
    Yea, I don't believe in a class being limited by alignment, so much as being influenced by it. So, I thought to myself 'what would an evil bard do, other than be Joker'. That was the answer I came up with.

Not every bard is happiness and light. The ones who manipulate emotions easiest can create despair as easily as joy...
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Yea, I don't believe in a class being limited by alignment, so much as being influenced by it. So, I thought to myself 'what would an evil bard do, other than be Joker'. That was the answer I came up with.

Not every bard is happiness and light. The ones who manipulate emotions easiest can create despair as easily as joy...
    Couldn't agree more! There should always be room for a chaotic monk (how can a drunken master be lawful?), or a lawful bard taught strictly by-the-book at a school of music or some-such plays in theaters, and otherwise does little that could be considered chaotic.

Also, i had fallen in love with the idea of the dirgesinger prc when it came out. Inspiring despair/failure is where i felt is fell flat.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Updated Homebrew post with a list of Devotional feats for the Priest class.

Since Devotionals are already of limited uses per day, I simply allow the meta-devotional feats to be attached to a single devotional, and usable as often as that devotional may be used.

Theoretically, it can be used to spam fairly powerful abilities, if one selects a given devotional multiple times, but in doing so, you lose out on the higher level Devotionals, so I think it rather balances itself out.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Some factions of religions:

SUYP: Solomark's Upper Yellow Palace (also stick up your pigo): is your evryday paladin-crusader-law and justice order. the yellow 'Palace' is marely a Stone house surronded by a wooden palisade with battlements.
    They see the world in black and white, and want to cleanse the world from its destroyers (AKA 'that one').
    after evrything stabilizes, they will start to fight with Markhanak's belivers.

HaT: Healing and Turning (undead): They belive anyone needs healing, no matter who he is or what has he done. no bloodshed is done within chaples limits. they also wish to give the dead theire final rest, and destroy them and their creators (with the help of more aggresive allies).
    Last edited by super dark33; 2011-09-24 at 11:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Some factions of religions:

SUYP: Solomark's Upper Yellow Palace (also stick up your pigo): is your evryday paladin-crusader-law and justice order. the yellow 'Palace' is marely a Stone house surronded by a wooden palisade with battlements.
    They see the world in black and white, and want to cleanse the world from its destroyers (AKA 'that one').
    after evrything stabilizes, they will start to fight with Markhanak's belivers.
    I was thinking about something like this. Maybe the 'Rays of Solomark'.

There's a shrine I haven't finished writing down yet... it marks the spot in the Final Battle in the Mage Wars where the Champions fought. The Paladin beat the Hexblade... but died of the poison shortly thereafter. All very 'noble heroic sacrifice' and everything. THAT is where the chapter house is located. With a sword that supposedly belonged to the Champion still stuck in the dirt in the middle of the courtyard.

I was thinking of ripping off "In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight!" for their motto.
    Maybe "Solomark's Yellow Soldiers Of Peace" (SYSOP)?

HaT: Healing and Turning (undead): They belive anyone needs healing, no matter who he is or what has he done. no bloodshed is done within chaples limits. they also wish to give the dead theire final rest, and destroy them and their creators (with the help of more aggresive allies).
    Sounds like an Order of Leyalana. At least the Healing part.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2011-09-24 at 10:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

SUYP and SYSoP would had a feud who should be the supirior body in the yellow Barely-mansion-with-a-small-wall, and in stead of solving it like grown men, they put a yellow line that separates half the "palace".
    its more like an Honor battle.
    this is to get some funny moments when PC's get to the palace.

About HaT: yes i think so, maybe some cooperation between some Solomark clerics to Leylana's clerics to this purpose?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

SUYP and SYSoP would had a feud who should be the supirior body in the yellow Barely-mansion-with-a-small-wall, and in stead of solving it like grown men, they put a yellow line that separates half the "palace".
    its more like an Honor battle.
    this is to get some funny moments when PC's get to the palace.
    What is your obsession with inter-religion conflict? No. There's enough conflict going on without needing backstabbing going on.

About HaT: yes i think so, maybe some cooperation between some Solomark clerics to Leylana's clerics to this purpose?
    Not a bad idea, although priests of Solomark don't actually get much in the way of healing or 'fixit' abilities. They don't get access to Healing or Purification domains.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

i wouldnt call that a 'conflict' but a 'small fight between to kindergarten kids'.

"no this sword is my holy symbol!"
    no its MY holy symbol!"
    "Calm down my children, why wont you Share the sword?"

and they made a yellow line that crosses the courtyard, and thats basicly the only thing they fight between.

one side is more Paladinish crusaders, and the outer one is Magey clerics.

But still they are the yellow warriors of Solomark's Upper Yellow Palace.

anyway, i have this one too:

Markaranak's Marine Army.

Pretty much of a hogwarts of hexblades.
    The MMA teaches them the ways of the sword, arcane and poison.
    they too built their fortified manor near the resting place of the hexblade champion.
    when things will get calm, they will start a turf war with the SUYP about copying their ideas and the gods conflict.
    but right now thye are busy haveing a competition with them: who-kills-the-most-'Outside one'-cultists.