New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Well, I could try recreating the field in Vassal next time?

Alas, if only more than two people read that.... ;P
    Well I read it, and loved it, one of the best concepts for report. And as for pictures, you can just grab some camera, and snap a photo or few, one for battlefield, and few for closeups of some important action, and just spoiler it into report. Makes it more evocative.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

2. - Top - End - #842
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

Well, thanks for support, guys, it's just that the 10 campaign battles we had happened over past month, I didn't thought to photograph them, and now that I fiddled in vassal it turns I can only with confidence say where the units died, as I noted it, not where they started. Still, I'd try.

Any list and/or tactic critique?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

3. - Top - End - #843
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    There's an easy solution to this.
    Call it the "Golden Shower".
    Hahaha! Well done good sir, you win an internet.

As for not using the Sanguinary Guard models, you would try using the Chaos Raptor jump packs to differentiate them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ettin in the Playground

Ummm....What's a "Golden Shower" anyway?
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Ummm....What's a "Golden Shower" anyway?
    They wanted to come up for a name for the Sanguniary Guard/Dante based force that didn't include the word 'nipple'.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ettin in the Playground

So why not just Dante's Guard, Sanguinary Troops, or just Sanguinary Guards with Dante. But....Golden shower? Plus I'm expecting Dante/Sanguinary Guards right now and aside from them being gold I don't see any "nipples".
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

7. - Top - End - #847

So why not just Dante's Guard, Sanguinary Troops, or just Sanguinary Guards with Dante. But....Golden shower? Plus I'm expecting Dante/Sanguinary Guards right now and aside from them being gold I don't see any "nipples".
    look again

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ettin in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

0_0

Huh, I thought those were just dark shmudges/shadows on the armor. The pictures I saw where mostly of the top two marines.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2011-09-29 at 11:30 PM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

And that's why you don't let Joel Schumacher do sculpts for GW.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Troll in the Playground

Or Dantewing, to keep theme with all other modified lists?

In the other words, I just go DA Codex and tried to make a list out of it. Is it my imagination or the only even remotely viable army that isn't done better by other Codices is the massed Hammernator one, and even that only thanks to FAQ?

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

Or Dantewing, to keep theme with all other modified lists?
    Calling everything -wing is stupid. All variant lists ought to have the silliest possible names.
    See: Logan's Heroes.

Is it my imagination
    nope
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #852

Edit: Removing 'Golden Shower' definition link. My apologies if I've offended anyone.
    Last edited by evisiron; 2011-09-30 at 11:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

That is disgusting and you should feel ashamed for linking it -_-

Extended Sig

14. - Top - End - #854
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Please note that envisiron's link is probably Not Safe For Work, and almost certainly Not Safe For Sanity....

I know I'm regressing the conversation by about a week, but the (semi-)recent talk of Tyranids got me thinking about my own potential lists again. I've narrowed it down to two that are quite radically different, so would anyone care to offer their experience as to which they think would be the more fun to play?

List 1: The "Charge of the Light Brigade" option

Spoiler
    Show
    HQ: Parasite of Mortrex - 160

Fast: 5x Tyranid Shrike Brood
    + Adrenal Glands
    + Rending Claws
    + Boneswords - 275

Troop: 17x Genestealers
    Troop: 17x Genestealers
    Troop: 16x Genestealers
    Troop: 16x Genestealers - 1352

Heavy: Mawloc
    + Regeneration 195
    Total: 2002

The name of this game is 'Infiltration'.
    The Genestealers start as close to the enemy as they possibly can and then run screaming at them. If 50% of them aren't in close combat by Turn 2 then I have lost the game, however having the Mawloc pop up under whatever seems most threatening should be a sufficient distraction in a pinch. Some of the Genestealers may or may not become Ymgarl, depending on what the numbers look like after sufficient crunching.

The Parasite and his elite bodyguards then go to town on the nearest high-cost unit and Alpha-Strike their way to Victory with high initiative and Nemesis Weapons (I may or may not swap in some Lash Whips, if I'm feeling fancy and would like them to live long enough to do this twice per game )

List 2: The "THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE WALLS!" option

Spoiler
    Show
    HQ: Parasite of Mortrex - 160

Fast Attack: 3x Tyranid Shrike Brood
    + Adrenal Glands
    + Rending Claws
    + Boneswords - 165

Elite: 2x Lictors
    Elite: 2x Lictors - 260

Elite: 3x Pyrovores
    + Mycetic Spore - 225

Troop: 14x Genestealers
    Troop: 14x Genestealers
    Troop: 14x Genestealers - 588

Heavy: Trygon
    Heavy: Trygon
    Heavy: Trygon - 600

Total: 1998

A variation on a list that I saw posted on a blog that was essentially entitled "This might work but it would be incredibly stupid" and fell in love with. The idea is that at the beginning of the game the only things I setup are the Lictors, who start in cover/out of LoS and immediately go to ground so that everything else reliably turns up on Turn 2.

The Trygons Deep Strike in, and then the Genestealers immediately use Subterranean Assault to be within striking range of whatever I want. Sensibly I should probably drop one of the Trygons and reinvest in another squad of Genestealers just on the off chance that we're not playing an Annihilation game, but I can practise with either of those options as I go along.
    The Parasite and the Shrikes also make with the Deep Striking, albeit perhaps a little more subtly, whereas the Pyrovores drop in as loudly and explosively as possible by way of distraction and (hopefully) objective clearing.

I am under no illusion - the Pyrovores are there because I think the concept is funny, not because they're a fantastic unit choice and they'd probably be the first to go when I revise the list after a few games. Still, as far as desperate all-or-nothing gambits go, I think this one has promise.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2011-09-30 at 09:22 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ettin in the Playground

No, no I am not. That information is completely unnecessary and useless especially to someone of my age.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2011-09-30 at 12:00 PM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

16. - Top - End - #856

I have a rules question that I'm struggling with. Can a 10 man Blood Angels Assault squad be combat squaded when Deep Striking?

The topics I seen on other forums often take it as a given, but the FAQ on Drop Pods say that units held in reserve cannot be put into combat squads (even though it's referring to a situation where a unit has been held in reserve then combat squaded).

Any ideas?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

No, no I am not. That information is completely unnecessary and useless especially to someone of my age.
    You do know that by quoting it you've perpetuated the link, right?

18. - Top - End - #858

Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post
    I have a rules question that I'm struggling with. Can a 10 man Blood Angels Assault squad be combat squaded when Deep Striking?

The topics I seen on other forums often take it as a given, but the FAQ on Drop Pods say that units held in reserve cannot be put into combat squads (even though it's referring to a situation where a unit has been held in reserve then combat squaded).

Any ideas?
    My understanding is that they deep strike as normal (As one squad) and then are treated as two combat squads. At least, that's how we run it in my store.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Troll in the Playground

Any ideas?
    That's common misconception perpetuated by rulez lawyerz, but what Drop Pod exception means, IIRC, is that you're only allowed to combat squad when the unit is deployed. So, you wouldn't be able to do it with Drop Pod, as it's the Pod that is deployed, not unit, with a single squad (as transports can only ever carry one unit), that's why it specifically allows you to divide after it dropped. Otherwise, combat-squadding out of DP would be illegal.

So, yeah, IIRC, BA can combat-squad perfectly fine, if you want BRB pages I can give them to you later.

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

20. - Top - End - #860

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    Calling everything -wing is stupid. All variant lists ought to have the silliest possible names.
    See: Logan's Heroes.
    Dante's Inferno?

21. - Top - End - #861

Any ideas?
    From a drop pod yes, with jump packs no

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

22. - Top - End - #862
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Macab View Post
    From a drop pod yes, with jump packs no
    See above, that is incorrect. You can combat squad them when they arrive from reserves and are about to be deployed, rolling scatter for both halves independently.

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

23. - Top - End - #863

Any ideas?
    You can't reserve them seperately and roll for them seperately. Which I used to do all the time.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

24. - Top - End - #864

Griffon

See above, that is incorrect. You can combat squad them when they arrive from reserves and are about to be deployed, rolling scatter for both halves independently.
    For further reference, it's stated exactly how Combat Squadding works - including references to Drop Pods and Deep Striking - on page 51 of Codex Space Marines and 25(ish) of Blood Angels.

To paraphrase for those who have neither: Trixie is correct. You choose combat squad when the unit deploys, not during Army Creation or during Reserves rolls, which means both 'halves' arrive on the same Reserves roll even if you place them in two different places on the board.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

Games Day Sydney has been and gone, and this is my report on it.

Summaries of the Q&A sessions and some pics to be found within.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

26. - Top - End - #866

I took my new Contemptor Dreadnought for a spin today. My report is mixed.

On the one hand, it didn't get to fire once, or assault anything or get to do dreadnoughty things like move at all. I left it at the back to help cover my objective squatting scouts since I knew exactly where I'd bring on the Ymgarll genestealers, Tervigon, Tyrannofex, Trygon and Scythed Heirodule (Apocalypse game) if I were my opponent. A prediction that proved entirely correct.

What it did do, and this was great things, was take three entire rounds to put down and utterly dictate the moves of the Ymgrrls. Rupture cannons, Bio cannons, it mattered not, the shots that penetrated were saved. A 5+ invulnerable against shooting isn't great, but it's better than nothing and periodically pays off.

The Trygon finally finished it by ripping its arm off in one round of combat and then finishing it off in the next round. Still, it help up over 1000 points of units and that makes me happy, especially as the Heirodule died to a massed bloodstrike salvo before it could fire a second load of shots at it.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

27. - Top - End - #867

What's a Contemptor Dreadnought?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

28. - Top - End - #868

it's from Forge world, it's a pretty new release. The rules are in the latest Imperial Armour
    Last edited by Timberwolf; 2011-10-01 at 03:33 PM.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    it's from Forge world, it's a pretty new release. The rules are in the latest Imperial Armour
    *browses*

Chaplain venerable dreadnaught?! DO WANT!!
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-10-01 at 04:05 PM.

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #870

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    I see. Does the new Imperial Armour Apocalypse edition reprint stuff from the first book, or is it all new?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein