New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXVIII: This Show Blew My Boogeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Arakune View Post
    take a photo of this event.

for SCIENCE!
    The punishment of the comic moved past punches long ago. It has now been torn asunder, disemboweled, and trampled by gnomes.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #632
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXVIII: This Show Blew My Boogeyman

Destroying the newspost too was both justified and necessary.

ROCK ON NOW!

3. - Top - End - #633

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    The punishment of the comic moved past punches long ago. It has now been torn asunder, disemboweled, and trampled by gnomes.

Spoiler
    Show

I vote on emailing this to mookie.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

4. - Top - End - #634
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I vote on emailing this to mookie.
    I think that could end with the cops involved.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

5. - Top - End - #635

NecromancerGuy

Ok. Celesto thinks his plan still worked out as he wanted it to. Minus a dead child.

If it really did work. I don't know man. The stupidity might be more than I can handle. I might book a trip to a convention for the express purpose of giving Mookie a black eye.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

The Something Awful guys are talking about the name A Nimmel House.

Choice quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavak
    This is the first Mookie pun to make me genuinely angry.
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelWorm
    I had to say it out loud to get it. Goddamit, someone please burn mookie's jokebook that he's stealing these from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Spaniard
    Memory tells me it's nothing at all like the movie so I don't get why he had that name outside of the obvious pun. No doubt he planned the character's name to allow it.
    If you don't know, Fawkes came up with that for a thread name and someone emailed it to Mookie. Worm was right that Mookie didn't come up with it himself though.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2011-08-27 at 07:05 AM.

7. - Top - End - #637

AssassinGuy

Man, I am not looking forward to Mookie's attempts to drag out this arc for another week. All I hope is that he drags it out for only a week.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    If you don't know, Fawkes came up with that for a thread name and someone emailed it to Mookie. Worm was right that Mookie didn't come up with it himself though.
    It's always hard to tell who came up with what on the Internet, but I'm pretty sure that A Nimmel House (the name, not the Arc) is actually our fault.

And that's terrible
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

9. - Top - End - #639

Imp

Hey, don't blame this on me! It was Ganurath's fault!

But yeah, I was the one who thought it was absolutely hilarious and suggested emailing it to Mookie. My bad.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the last strip, I'll start with the good.
    Celesto is crazy. And when I say crazy I mean InSaNELy crazy.
    That's good because that's the only reasonable explanation of why Celesto whould be obsessed about killing as part of his plan.

The bad part however, is that he is crazy, but also extremely stupid.
    He could have been idealist, smart and crazy, thinking of an actual good plan to frame the king, one that involves killing innocents.
    Instead, we get a crazy person with a tentacled big screen TV. This is something that ANY character could have done, what a waste of using one like Celesto for this.

11. - Top - End - #641

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Regarding the last strip, I'll start with the good.
    Celesto is crazy. And when I say crazy I mean InSaNELy crazy.
    That's good because that's the only reasonable explanation of why Celesto whould be obsessed about killing as part of his plan.

The bad part however, is that he is crazy, but also extremely stupid.
    He could have been idealist, smart and crazy, thinking of an actual good plan to frame the king, one that involves killing innocents.
    Instead, we get a crazy person with a tentacled big screen TV. This is something that ANY character could have done, what a waste of using one like Celesto for this.
    Do we KNOW that the tv thing was celesto's plan?

Didn't that take place after the See The Truth spell? What if the See The Truth is what caused that, making it Dominic's warping of the plan. All we actually know of Celesto's plan was that he intended to have a unSnuggly burst out of chance's chest in front of everyone.

If he had used his Chaos/Seer Powers to redirect any scrying of that event to show King DJ giving the orders (presumably what that really cute image of King+Snuggly was supposed to be), it would have been just subtle enough to raise doubts.

We DO know that the Masters family has seers on call, and would have called them in after such an event.

We DO know that even Dominic didn't sense Celesto's involvement in the attack until Celesto revealed himself.

We DON'T know quite how see the truth works, because it changes pretty much every time. But say Celesto had implanted that image in the UnSnuggly's before the attack, now when See The Truth goes off, it unleashes that image not just to Dominic, but to everyone, who can see the 'truth'. While Celesto's vision does get seen, doing so in such a way is much more blatant, and thus less believable. So it was actually Dominic's interference in the matter that turned the scenario from plausible to stupid.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

We may not know, but Dominic Deegan being what it is, do you really think it's realistic that it wasn't? I mean, if it had been some kind of deviation from the original plan or something Celesto made up on the spot, I'm pretty sure there would have been talking heads informing us of this afterwards.

Also, what's so bad about A Nimmel House? It's a stupid pun, sure, but apart from that what's the big deal?

13. - Top - End - #643
    Colossus in the Playground

WHAT THE HELL IS THE PUN?! I dont get it? What is a nimmel house supposed to be a pun of?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    WHAT THE HELL IS THE PUN?! I dont get it? What is a nimmel house supposed to be a pun of?
    This should help.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

15. - Top - End - #645
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Hey, don't blame this on me! It was Ganurath's fault!
    That's weird. I vividly remembered you suggesting it.

16. - Top - End - #646

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Also, what's so bad about A Nimmel House? It's a stupid pun, sure, but apart from that what's the big deal?
    First, there's a sounding board effect where, since everybody is harshly criticizing everything Mookie does and pointing out that it's horrible, then anything that Mookie does can be denounced as horrible and it'll pass without further questioning. It's a problem we have here too, though of course it's mostly excused by the fact that Mookie is horrible at everything he does.

But mostly, since they're not in the joke, they perceive it as Mookie mocking them with that reference, rather than as Mookie being tricked by mockers. You've probably noticed how angry everyone is at the comic every time Mookie is self-parodying. It comes off as a slap against the readers because it shows Mookie is aware of his flaws as a webcomicker but prefers to exploit them for cheap humor rather than spending any effort correcting or at least alleviating them. So, Mookie getting the idea of calling the arc after Animal House is a taunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #647

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    In all fairness - because I was the first person to point out the potential for "Animal House-style antics", while Fawkes was indeed the first person to make the pun - I'm tempted to register on Something Awful just to point out that the GitP Snarkers are responsible for that pun.

I mean, it's a point of pride on GitP that we only make fun of Dominic Deegan as a work of fiction, and never Michael Terraciano as a human being, and generally we're quite good at policing ourselves in that regard. In this instance, without our honesty we're letting Mookie take the wrap for something that really isn't his fault.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2011-08-27 at 04:41 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Like most other things in the comic, we can never know, but can only guess.

From what I see in the previous strips, the creation of the mega beast TV screen was done without any connection to Dominic's spell, which was intended to save the boy and stop Celesto, the TV was created by the beast instead of by anything that looks like it was done by Dominic, Dominic destroyed the TV shortly after it was created, and Celesto said that it worked out in the end.

We have no idea what the original plans were, from what I see there was never ANY plan involved.
    But assuming that there was a plan, the TV looks like it was done by Celesto or the mini beasts, and not Dominic.

Is it possible that Celesto's original plan was to kill the boy and then the seers would reveal the beasts?
    Sure, only Dominic insisted that the beast cannot be seen by conventional methods, and the connection to the king will not be revealed by the seers even if they could see it.

What pisses me off the most, is that Mookie uses our imagination to explain things.
    There are countless of plot holes in the arcs. Sure, maybe one could find some way to pass most of them, but there isn't any indication that that was planned, usually the contrary.
    For example, when we asked why Dominic didn't use his super power sooner, there were suggestions that came from the people here, some good, some not as good but all better than not explaining at all.
    When it was finally explained in one of the posts, the actual reason was "because it's kool!1!".
    So why should we bother trying to cover the plot holes if the author himself does not intend to even recognize they exist?

19. - Top - End - #649

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Ah ok then, I get it now. And I like that pun now dammit!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #650

I remember not getting it at first because movie title "translations" to the latinoamerican public make no sense whatsoever. Can't remember right now what was that movie's title here but it had nothing to do with the original.

21. - Top - End - #651

Imp

According to IMDb, it was "Colegio de animales" in Mexico, Argentina, Peru, and Uruguay.

Apparently, a lot of countries just translated "American College". Maybe they thought it was a documentary?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    In all fairness - because I was the first person to point out the potential for "Animal House-style antics", while Fawkes was indeed the first person to make the pun - I'm tempted to register on Something Awful just to point out that the GitP Snarkers are responsible for that pun.

I mean, it's a point of pride on GitP that we only make fun of Dominic Deegan as a work of fiction, and never Michael Terraciano as a human being, and generally we're quite good at policing ourselves in that regard. In this instance, without our honesty we're letting Mookie take the wrap for something that really isn't his fault.
    I'm actually the opposite. The comic I'm mostly fine with, but it paints a terrible picture of mookie, where he doesn't give a drat about anything I think makes a human being worth while. That's a majority of why I don't loiter here that much anymore. I'm breaking the Code of Snark.

Didn't that take place after the See The Truth spell? What if the See The Truth is what caused that, making it Dominic's warping of the plan. All we actually know of Celesto's plan was that he intended to have a unSnuggly burst out of chance's chest in front of everyone.

If he had used his Chaos/Seer Powers to redirect any scrying of that event to show King DJ giving the orders (presumably what that really cute image of King+Snuggly was supposed to be), it would have been just subtle enough to raise doubts.

We DO know that the Masters family has seers on call, and would have called them in after such an event.

We DO know that even Dominic didn't sense Celesto's involvement in the attack until Celesto revealed himself.
    I think this is one of those things that was explained, but subtly. And since you guys expect Mookie to have the subtle skills of a meat truck, it goes as either wrong or an accident.

Celesto's brush with the Beast effectively made him into the same creature type; Deeganverse magic normally can't do anything about extraplanar abominations. Celesto was tainted and gained the Beast template, changing his type to Aberration [extraplanar], just like the beast.

There is a world-spanning horror who can travel the mental planes and wreak havoc, which is only identifiable by being untraceable. This is the defining point of the beast, right? Horrible monstrosity that cannot be perceived until ts too late. Luckily, the beast is unique! So obviously, any activity on the planes or originating from the planes, that cannot be traced, will point at the beast.

Except Mookie has peeled aside verisimilitude1 and shown the audience that behind the scenes, Celesto has the same ability now (gasp!). So any investigation into Celesto's activity will implicate the Beast. If not, then ANYONE doing ANY INVESTIGATING AT ALL who is not A) Deegan or B) the bad guys, will find evidence that points to the beast, and the king.

It's actually quite clever. There is one vampire/werewolf/whatever in existence. You become a vampire/werewolf/whatever without telling anyone, and by default, anything you do, until your presence and situation are revealed, makes the progenitor vampire/werewolf/whatever look bad.

So the fact that snuggly tentacles formed a tv and wide-screened the DJ callan getting chummy with the Beast is dumb, just means that everyone win any ability to investigate will think the Beast is dumb, because for all functional purposes the Beast implicated himself on his own widescreen television.

As much as I feel Mookie is a hack, this is something he's actually done right. It's hammy, and clumsy, but it's there, even if he will ruin it later.

1: Such that it is.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-08-27 at 10:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #653

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I'm actually the opposite. The comic I'm mostly fine with, but it paints a terrible picture of mookie, where he doesn't give a drat about anything I think makes a human being worth while. That's a majority of why I don't loiter here that much anymore. I'm breaking the Code of Snark.
    A big problem is that a lot of the wronger elements of DD blur the line - half the cast being based on Mookie's RPG characters, the origin of Lynn's Brook and Facebath. And even though you pick up most of this stuff from the newsposts and the subsequent forum discussions you still feel like a creepy stalker about how you know way too much about someone who merely makes a webcomic.

24. - Top - End - #654

[...]you still feel like a creepy stalker about how you know way too much about someone who merely makes a webcomic.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    [...]you still feel like a creepy stalker about how you know way too much about someone who merely makes a webcomic.
    You say that like it's a bad thing, Mr. Anderson, who lives at 2852 Cherry Lane.
    fixed
    =Uncool-

26. - Top - End - #656
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I think this is one of those things that was explained, but subtly. And since you guys expect Mookie to have the subtle skills of a meat truck, it goes as either wrong or an accident.
    Is it ever NOT that?

Celesto's brush with the Beast effectively made him into the same creature type; Deeganverse magic normally can't do anything about extraplanar abominations. Celesto was tainted and gained the Beast template, changing his type to Aberration [extraplanar], just like the beast.
    How. It never had that effect before. Well it did but it took away the free will. What did celery do different?

There is a world-spanning horror who can travel the mental planes and wreak havoc, which is only identifiable by being untraceable.
    Its time RET RET RET RETETETETCA CONS! Its Time for Con con conamisuers (Retca cacon)

Nope. Derpdy doo. The beast is now terrified of a single dude pretendng to be a space lobster. That shows how there are already bigger fish in the ocean. So to be honest if there is a giant lizard that protects earth it should do just fine.

If not, then ANYONE doing ANY INVESTIGATING AT ALL who is not A) Deegan or B) the bad guys, will find evidence that points to the beast, and the king.
    NO! WHAT EVIDENCE?

It's actually quite clever. There is one vampire/werewolf/whatever in existence. You become a vampire/werewolf/whatever without telling anyone, and by default, anything you do, until your presence and situation are revealed, makes the progenitor vampire/werewolf/whatever look bad.
    Except this is a world with HUNDREDS of different monsters. If a new idiotic on is introduced what difference does it make?

So the fact that snuggly tentacles formed a tv and wide-screened the DJ callan getting chummy with the Beast is dumb, just means that everyone with any ability to investigate will think the Beast is dumb, because for all functional purposes the Beast implicated himself on his own widescreen television.
    The question is what goes on your mind when we see this?

"WTF king with snuggles? Whatever." Unless their already close to the king any of thier investigation will lead knowere!

27. - Top - End - #657

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    In this instance, without our honesty we're letting Mookie take the wrap for something that really isn't his fault.
    Whoa. Let's not be too hasty now. He did choose to go with it, after all.

A big problem is that a lot of the wronger elements of DD blur the line - half the cast being based on Mookie's RPG characters, the origin of Lynn's Brook and Facebath. And even though you pick up most of this stuff from the newsposts and the subsequent forum discussions you still feel like a creepy stalker about how you know way too much about someone who merely makes a webcomic.
    Wait... which half?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #658

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Wait... which half?
    You're making me feel bad about how much trivia I know about this webcomic...

Dominic Deegan and Nimmel Feenix are based on Mookie's D&D characters. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think a lot of the early cast are based on the characters of friends (easiest example was Brom(?) the Axe Guy who disappeared pretty quickly). Snowsong is based off a City of Heroes character.

Admittedly that's only a handful that I know of, but given Dominic is among them that counts as at least half.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, there's more to Lynn's Brook than just a stupid pun? And more to Facebath than just raw stupidity spilled onto a page? I missed something.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

30. - Top - End - #660

You're making me feel bad about how much trivia I know about this webcomic...

Dominic Deegan and Nimmel Feenix are based on Mookie's D&D characters. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think a lot of the early cast are based on the characters of friends (easiest example was Brom(?) the Axe Guy who disappeared pretty quickly). Snowsong is based off a City of Heroes character.

Admittedly that's only a handful that I know of, but given Dominic is among them that counts as at least half.
    ...Axe guy actually had a name? He did! I can't believe we never really learn what happens to him...