New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXVIII: This Show Blew My Boogeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Was Celesto's father knowing nothing about magic ever canon? It was in the long deleted cast bios, but was it ever in the comic?

Honestly I wouldn't mind if Mookie replies back with "yeah I did write that, but I decided to go with something else" as it's not as if those old bios matter than much. The mistake would be to try and merge both versions together - which he now might attempt to do, you monster .
    If he does actually say something like that, I'd probably be OK with it.

If he does in fact try to merge them . . . well, I look forward to the fireworks.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #842
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXVIII: This Show Blew My Boogeyman

In case anyone wondered why I put a "Praise those Deegans!" box on my daily bingo card, Sneaky Gate shows you why.
    Future Link.

In other comic news, Ctrl+Alt+Del, last two panels.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Barbarian in the Playground

In case anyone wondered why I put a "Praise those Deegans!" box on my daily bingo card, Sneaky Gate shows you why.
    Future Link.
    I suspect next strip will be 7 panels of jerk nerd apologizing only for it to be made weird by a panel 8 pun.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Bugbear in the Playground

Birds of a feather...
    Maybe penguins are related to orcs?
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

5. - Top - End - #845
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Future Link.

...I'm not sure which of those was more painful. And I haven't even clicked the DD link yet.

edit: Still not sure, but I'm leaning away from DD now...

What have you done to me, Trazoi!?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-08-31 at 02:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #846

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Maybe penguins are related to orcs?
    Penguins are carnivores with monogonous mating pairs who attract each other with thoughtful gifts and have equal division of housekeeping and chick-rearing duties.

So no.

Plus orcs can fly.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

This is kind of odd, but I've started to passively like DD again.

For some reason it's not that bad to me when it's not fundamentally destroying established characters or going off into endless arcs of utter annoyance.

Sure it's not "good", but I'm not very inclined to give that title to many webcomics to begin with.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

8. - Top - End - #848

I actually kinda liked this strip.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

9. - Top - End - #849

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, how is it worse than usual?

10. - Top - End - #850

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    At the risk of sounding like an idiot, how is it worse than usual?
    They performed the face-merge technique, is what happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Until mookie Does something truly awfull again I think im begining to care less.

12. - Top - End - #852

Two comics of apologizing! Let's go for a third!

Apology week, all week.

13. - Top - End - #853

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post

Apology week, all week.
    you know that it really is what is going to happen, right?

14. - Top - End - #854

Apology week, all week.
    Next up he gets a mental message from orc chief grumpy face apologizing for his earlier behavior, and admiring how much better things have gotten in maltak ever since the orc princess and the ultiseer showed up to fix things for them.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #855
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    you know that it really is what is going to happen, right?
    Is it too late for Mookie to apologise?
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2011-08-31 at 12:54 PM.

16. - Top - End - #856

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    They performed the face-merge technique, is what happened.
    Isn't that a common trope in comics, though? Dominic Deegan and CAD aren't the only places where I've seen it.

17. - Top - End - #857

I don't really have any problem with what we're being shown compared to Celesto's ancient cast page.

Clearly Celesto's dad knew SOMETHING about magic, but from the looks of it he was working on minor warding designs; he was a defense industry grunt-level designer. He'd still be in no position to be any help to his son when he started having visions, and if having his life's work stolen and being cheated out of a small fortune affected him the way it affects most people, then no ****ing **** he neglected his son.

That said, I'm also giving credit that Mookie's still not applying cardboard for the characters he's introduced in this arc. In a lower point in the series, there would not have been even the suggestion that Masters would have regretted what he'd done, and he'd have been painted as an outright villain. The only question is if Masters Sr. will have any opportunity to make good on saying he regrets screwing Cyrus over, or if it's just that he betrayed a man and then felt sorry about it when it was way too late.

18. - Top - End - #858

Penguins are carnivores with monogonous mating pairs who attract each other with thoughtful gifts and have equal division of housekeeping and chick-rearing duties.

So no.

Plus orcs can fly.
    But Orcs like ice, don't they?

Apology week, all week.
    Next strip is going to be Scarlatti apologizing to Szark, even though it was Szark who was acting irrational. Also, Scarlatti will hand Chance back over to Szark because he has realized that Szark is the superior teacher.

19. - Top - End - #859

Next strip is going to be Scarlatti apologizing to Szark, even though it was Szark who was acting irrational. Also, Scarlatti will hand Chance back over to Szark because he has realized that Szark is the superior teacher.
    Szark will thank him for the gesture, remind scarletti he was fired, and say he is going to be joining dominic the great and his amazing friends anyways, and wishes scarletti luck on teaching a bunch of children. No mention of the fact that scarletti slaughtered his previous students/sparring partners/friends will be made.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #860

NecromancerGuy

Future Link.

To DD's credit, I don't think it's as bad as CAD has been in its current arc.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

I'm actually the opposite. The comic I'm mostly fine with, but it paints a terrible picture of mookie, where he doesn't give a drat about anything I think makes a human being worth while. That's a majority of why I don't loiter here that much anymore. I'm breaking the Code of Snark.
    uh-uh, you're walking on a dark path.

I'd rather let Callanian justice take its course.

Spoiler
    Show

"In the Callanian justice system, seer based offenses are considered especially heinous. In Lynn's Brook, the dedicated knights who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Seer Victims Unit. These are their stories."
    I love the snark art in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post
    In most real life countries, taxes help subsidize hospitals, that can be used as excuse.

For someone who is working towards a sort of police state based on magic power (which is heavily suggested with Callan the archmage), resistants are a threat, so you try to get them out of positions of power through subtle means. Resistants are a small minority so others don't care much if you discriminate.

Yes you can net a resistant if you have advantage. But rock/paper/scissors, a resistant might be able to assasinate you easier than anyone else if your best defense is magic. (Human guards have human weaknesses and cost money) An automatic magic ward/spell does not sleep, does not need to be fed, paid wages, etc.

Most likely Callan cares the most about his own personal safety, and he trusts his own archmagic spells more than any other person to protect that safety.

(The biggest threat to an archmage would be other archmages... they may be able to cancel his spells and are harder to stop with a net, but they are also harder to stop. So Callan is has higher priority mission on killing them)
    But it doesn't make any sense to target the resistants without concrete reason or gain. So far they seem to have been normal parts of society with no discrimination directed at them, and they seem to act and think like all other citizens. But now they get discriminated and thus have reason to dislike the king and band together against him.
    He easily could buy them and give them government jobs, maybe even in the guard. In that case he had a viable weapon against other arch mages instead of additional enemies. And unlike other arch mages he has the means to put a company of normal fighters between the potentially traitorous resistants and himself, and can control the normal guards with his magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    If he does actually say something like that, I'd probably be OK with it.

If he does in fact try to merge them . . . well, I look forward to the fireworks.
    If that happens you'll have the ink if consistent characterization on your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

22. - Top - End - #862

GnomeWizardGuy

Orcs do, but to be really pedantic that's a Magellanic Penguin from the southern coasts of South America rather than icy Antarctica.

And Scarlatti will also apologise to Dominic even though their only interaction in the arc thus far was Dominic insulting him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    To DD's credit, I don't think it's as bad as CAD has been in its current arc.
    Yeah, the actual content in those last two panels is so bad it overwhelms the orc face-meld reference. I stopped reading CAD years ago, but I noticed the current arc when I was lurking around the SA DD thread. It's like the opposite of how DD will surprise you in how in manages to derail the plot. I've never seen a long running webcomic so obviously trying to be wacky and manage to come out with something so amazingly unoriginal that it was old hat more than a decade ago.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

He emailed me back, and it went pretty much as expected. He said that he took down the old cast bios for a reason, they weren't necessarily correct anymore, and to rely on the comic over anything we see there. Then he ended with a smiley face.

Overall, nothing to get excited about. I just thought I'd try it.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    He emailed me back, and it went pretty much as expected. He said that he took down the old cast bios for a reason, they weren't necessarily correct anymore, and to rely on the comic over anything we see there. Then he ended with a smiley face.

Overall, nothing to get excited about. I just thought I'd try it.
    So now it's proven that he's changing backstories to suit his whims.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

25. - Top - End - #865

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    So now it's proven that he's changing backstories to suit his whims.
    well these backstories never really were canon or mainstream or whatever. I, for example, have never ever read them.

Also he IS the author, ain't he?

26. - Top - End - #866

I had never read the cast page either. I think he's fully justified taking them down and declaring them officially non-canon.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    I had never read the cast page either. I think he's fully justified taking them down and declaring them officially non-canon.
    I agree. Doing that was a good step in the right direction.

Regrettably, he didn't follow up on it by deleting 80% of the archives.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post

Regrettably, he didn't follow up on it by deleting 80% of the archives.
    Whait what.

Granted I do think outright saying "I'm disregarding all the plot" is a step in the right direction. It's honest.

29. - Top - End - #869

Sneakier than usual Gate.

Future Link.

Apparently, "The Gray" is deeply connected to the powers of JPEG files.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

30. - Top - End - #870

NecromancerGuy

Well, kind of interesting to see that come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide