New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: OOTS #801 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    You don't "lose" levels. Negative levels means an array of penalties, and losing spell levels.
    Didn't it work like normal level-loss in 3.0? OoTS is mostly 3.5, but some people have spells or abilities from previous editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    She saw he didn't have a goatee when he was standing between her and Tarquin, but she's probably too enraged to notice.
    Last time she saw him was over a day ago. Maybe she assumed he has fast hair growth. One has to have that to grow a goatee or any halfway-decent facial hair when one is naturally blonde.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Adeptus View Post
    I recommend reading the comic title _after_ you've read the comic. That's what I do, and I often get an additional chuckle from the caption. It doesn't work the other way, then it's just a spoiler.
    Silly question time. How do you get to the latest comic?

I'm at work and want something to distract me on a regular basis, so OOTS is open - usually at the Forum page or I'm following one of the game threads (Props to TheOasysMaster for running a good Tomb of Horrors campaign).

So the most obvious place to see if there is a "new" comic - which only happens infrequently compared to my 40 hour work week - is to look at the left hand banner under "Comics", "Order of the Stick" and see if the count number is updated. But the title is right next to it - so it is kind of hard to avoid.

Is there a better way to check for the comics? I don't really want to go to the Comics and >> click to the latest comic - if the comic hasn't updated I have wasted my time (Although had a bit of anticipation wondering if somethign new is up). Besides, I'm at work, so I only want to be popping up a brightly coloured screen in a quiet period. But the rest of the OOTS is neutral enough that I can monitor for the comic number to update on the left hand pane.

My personal preference would be for the comic title at the bottom of the comic itself.

But yeah . . . how do you see that there is a new comic there without seeing the title first?
    (Although I suspect I may like reading the title first, to be honest . . . guilty pleasure.)

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing_Fox View Post
    Silly question time. How do you get to the latest comic?
    Use this link: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

What Elan did here was

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    No it can't. The only thing that can do anything a writer wants in a comic is radiation that that only applies during the Golden and Silver Age of Comics. Learn your comic history people!

Nanomachines?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2011-08-17 at 02:57 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156

New OotS strategy - get someone not even in the party to fight your evil opposite for you!

7. - Top - End - #157

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBobJoe View Post
    May I sig this?
    Go for it.

8. - Top - End - #158

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by lothos View Post
    So.... if it was Nale / Sabine / Z / someone else in the Linear guild doing the scrying in strip 698, presumably they know where Girard falsely said the gate was to Soon. Presumably "Elan" heard it from Shojo in strips 378 and 798.
    Given Z's obsession with the other elf, that might have been a 'scry where nemesis just was periodically', rather than 'scry on location'.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennan1214 View Post
    Which is weird, because a Bard's class abilities are mainly buffing and some healing.
    ...Which Elan is so incompetent at that it sort of loops around and makes him more competent than the average bard when alone.
    Last edited by Icedaemon; 2011-08-17 at 04:18 AM.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Icedaemon View Post
    Given Z's obsession with the other elf, that might have been a 'scry where nemesis just was periodically', rather than 'scry on location'.
    Except that the eye appeared away from the party while they were walking away. If Z was scrying on V, wouldn't the sensor appear right next to V?
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

10. - Top - End - #160

WolfInSheepsClothing

That was why I stated 'where nemesis was', not 'is'. Perhaps Z does not want to risk his scrying being detected and tries to piece together the order's plans and movements by scrying the locations they have visited recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffet View Post
    Especially Nale.
    I am just quoting this to heartily agree.
    Last edited by Icedaemon; 2011-08-17 at 04:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    -Amun-Zora has been tortured by days and his rational mind is too overtaken by rage to notice the goatee or the clothes change. Besides, the twin thing is even more unbelievable.
    "His"?

Anyway, she's only been in the cell for a day, I think, maybe two. Unlikely to have been physically tortured at all. Mental torture is a different thing and she's definitely been suffering that, what with her husband newly dead and all.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

12. - Top - End - #162

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by with an e View Post
    Well, I don't know about current (4.0) rules, but because OotS mostly follows 3.5 rules, you can read the 3.5 version on the SRD:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...NegativeLevels

Basically, you get hit by a bunch of penalties that simulate losing a level. After 24 hours, you make a fortitude save against each negative level (DC depends on how the negative level got applied). For each save you fail, you lose an actual level.
    The good news for Elan is that the saving throw is CHA based. He gets to use his CHA modifier for the save (DC 21 for Succubus). Most of his bad rolls tend to be when he is trying to move silently also.
    FTDWIR

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

"... + draining creature’s Cha modifier"

Elan's Cha doesn't factor into saving.
    Duuuude. I just, like, totally divided by zero!

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aricandor View Post
    "... + draining creature’s Cha modifier"

Elan's Cha doesn't factor into saving.
    Indeed, something being stat-based just means that's how the DC was set, so if you muck with the creature's stats you know how to adjust the DCs of its abilities.
    Last edited by Archwizard; 2011-08-17 at 05:49 AM.
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Heh. Elan using the identical twin situation to his advantage for once. Gotta say, Rich, you are Made of Win.

Have Fun!
    Niknokitueu
    Join the HackMaster revolution (now new and improved: 5th Ed HackMaster!)
    Getting the Hack on since 2001 - I like my AD&D 'Old School'.

Psyren:
    "Just want to point out that if your argument for [Durkula being] LG relies on pointing to Miko, you may need to rethink it from the ground up."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    "His"?

Anyway, she's only been in the cell for a day, I think, maybe two. Unlikely to have been physically tortured at all. Mental torture is a different thing and she's definitely been suffering that, what with her husband newly dead and all.
    Definitely going to agree with the whole "mental torture" thing. Tarquin seems to be quite good at causing emotional distress in those he would like to consider family.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

You know, Giant, I was really needing a chuckle after my PC broke down the day before yesterday. That hit the spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

18. - Top - End - #168

point of interest: he "spot" where the party had gather for that comic page was also the site of a rather enormously large explosion earlier that day. Maybe Z was close enough to the area to hear about or see the explosion?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Sammael, Aasimar Blackguard

Avys by Neoseph07

Astaroth, Human Lich Dragon Disciple

Jophiel, Gray Elf Mystic Theurge

<--Naamah Vampire Illusionist

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think growing a goatee overnight is too outrageous compared to the amount of hair grown by another major character not too long ago.

That said, part of me feels that Elan was trying too pun his way through things, just that he kept missing really, really badly that we don't even notice.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

Gotta admit I've been away from this comic for a very long time & it almost seems impossible to catch up, but this new page was totally funny. Especially when the evil twin unlocks the prisoner by mistake. :D
    Do Check out my webcomic:

http://www.thebeastlegion.com

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

cool story bro
    Last edited by aart lover; 2011-08-17 at 01:07 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Curiousity:

If that woman dies fighting Nale, would it be an evil act on the part of Elan since he set her up for a fight she'd probably lose?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja View Post
    Curiousity:

If that woman dies fighting Nale, would it be an evil act on the part of Elan since he set her up for a fight she'd probably lose?
    I doubt she'll die fighting Nale. Also, why do you think she'd probably lose? Do we have proof that she is low-level? (Also - was she ever given a name? Does anyone know?)
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja View Post
    Curiousity:

No. He didn't force her to attack Nale. She did it because she wanted to seek revenge. Elan can't control her actions short of leaving her imprisoned in a cell, so he freed her and left her to make her own decision.

If she dies, it's because of her own choices. Elan simply gave her the power to make whatever choice she wanted.

I doubt Nale will want to take the time to kill her, though; Elan is still getting away.
    2012 Kickstart Pledge Drive Backer# 12,851

Their: a possessive pronoun like “her” or “our”
    There: refers to a place ("the Kobold is over THERE"), or to indicate the existence of something, or to mention something for the first time. ("THERE is a Halfling sneaking up on him")
    They're: a contraction of “they are.”

Also: Your/You're, Its/It's, Then/Than.

And... I believe in you.
    —click!
    C fl epefggj cd gpyb hcex jpz.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    I doubt she'll die fighting Nale. Also, why do you think she'd probably lose? Do we have proof that she is low-level? (Also - was she ever given a name? Does anyone know?)
    Her name is Captain Amun-Zora of the former Free City of Doom, currently Tarquin's prisoner and tenth fiancee.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

If she dies fighting Nale, she will have died trying to kill Elan for a poor reason. Thus, 'self defense'. Elan isn't trying to kill her, but if she gets herself killed as a result of his actions, it will be because of her own doing.

She's responsible for her own actions, just like everybody else.

After all, was Roy or any of the party at fault for getting the Teleport Wizard killed? Nobody caught flack for that. They accidentally demoralized him into getting himself killed. Granted, they had no way of knowing it would lead to his death, but still. He's the one who decided to get drunk and then get eaten. (no pun intended.)
    "You think you have won, do you? You are mistaken! I will not be defeated! I will destroy EVERYTHING and you BOTH will die! I hold the prophecy stone in my hands. When it breaks the DARK DRAGON will rise to destroy ALL of Silmaria. You cannot stop me. NO ONE can stop me. I AM YOUR DOOM!" - QFG V

I would be very grateful for any feedback on the homebrewed stuff I've created:
    The Warp Walker, The Glorious Berserker

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

She would probably be Nale's level or higher, mainly because shes a captain of a city. Captains/people in charge are usually the level of the characters, due to roleplaying purposes, and Nale is the level of Elan. And since Nale's build is so complicted, she would probably be able to escape or even make him retreat (though unlikely).
    \A/ Why play fair when you can "Technically" play fair. \A/
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah say ah canno' jump, ya' jus' 'ave ta' toss meh!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archwizard View Post
    Except that the eye appeared away from the party while they were walking away. If Z was scrying on V, wouldn't the sensor appear right next to V?
    Savvy scrying spellcasters avoid going for a high Will target directly. Pick someone who is likely to linger near the target. A fellow party member's animal companion is approximately ideal.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses WkAmil View Post
    She would probably be Nale's level or higher, mainly because shes a captain of a city. Captains/people in charge are usually the level of the characters, due to roleplaying purposes, and Nale is the level of Elan. And since Nale's build is so complicted, she would probably be able to escape or even make him retreat (though unlikely).
    She's a captain from the Free City of Doom. Plus she was taken by a couple of nobodies. While Nale's build helps even the score, he also focuses in enchantment, which is good when convincing someone you're the wrong target.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I first read the title as 'Round to Harpoon'.

It made no sense at all, naturally.