New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    So I watched Blink again recently and the Doctor says some interesting stuff at the end (spoilers for latest series)

Spoiler
    Show
    In an episode by Moffat, he says how he keeps meeting people in the wrong order and that he's bad at weddings, especially his own.

Throwaway line or was Moffat really using foreshadowing like three series in advance?
    It's Moffat. Think again.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Banned

Daemon

So I watched Blink again recently and the Doctor says some interesting stuff at the end (spoilers for latest series)

Spoiler
    Show
    In an episode by Moffat, he says how he keeps meeting people in the wrong order and that he's bad at weddings, especially his own.

Throwaway line or was Moffat really using foreshadowing like three series in advance?
    Meeting people in the wrong order is probably something he's wanted to do for a while. He wrote blink before he heard of the top job so the wedding line's a throwaway. None of these are spoilers because that's River's gimmick and End of Time and Big Bang both have weddings.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I thought the same thing when I heard it. At that point, I hadn't seen Season 6, but I'd heard references to it by other people. And the answer? I think that it's more likely that Moffat springs on old stuff that he'd written, re-using it. Or maybe it was an idea he'd had bubbling around in his head, that he saved for later.

Anyhow, just finished Season 6, not bad, certainly entertaining. I do agree that there was a lot of glossing-over. Moffat has things that he wants to get into place, and he slips them into place very quickly. All the same, not bad, it was still a good finale, and I give Moffat points for
    Spoiler
    Show
    totally dwarfing "Bad Wolf" and "Mister Saxon" via The Question, cleverly making the entire series one big arc reference. Now, retroactively, "Doctor Who" is an arc phrase that echoes all the way from the beginning. That's pretty cool.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I give Moffat points for
    Spoiler
    Show
    totally dwarfing "Bad Wolf" and "Mister Saxon" via The Question, cleverly making the entire series one big arc reference. Now, retroactively, "Doctor Who" is an arc phrase that echoes all the way from the beginning. That's pretty cool.
    Actually that really annoyed me. It felt really cheap and not really significant

Spoiler
    Show
    'Bad Wolf' and 'Mister Saxon' were interesting because we want to know what they mean. Really though, what's the point in knowing the Doctor's name? Will it really change anything?

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Colossus in the Playground

Plus can they ever give him any name that does not feel either cheap or silly?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaros View Post
    Actually that really annoyed me. It felt really cheap and not really significant
    Yeah, me too. Making the question a plot point kind of trivializes it, takes away the charm... And I'm really frightened that Moff's sad new tradition of "glossing over" might do even more damage there.

BTW, I don't think Moffat will throw a tradition of almost fifty years out the window by straight out telling us the answer. Some characters
    Spoiler
    Show
    (River!!)
    might get to know it, but i sincerely hope to God we never will. It's a bit like the show will end when they reveal the answer...

On a slightly more enthusiastic note, this made me laugh today:
    Spoiler
    Show

That's definitely my kind of Dalek!
    Last edited by Sunfall; 2012-03-15 at 10:39 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The question could always be "Doctor, who?". Although the way blue head guy says it doesn't lend itself to this interpretation.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-03-15 at 06:03 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, apparently this is a thing. It's a book of celebrity memories about Doctor Who, with 100% of the proceeds going towards Alzheimer's Research UK. I'm not entirely sure what it's actually about or if there's a theme to it, but Neil Gaiman is in it and it's for an excellent cause! The book is supposed to come out in September, but they have a limited number of pre-orders available. So it's definitely worth checking out.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay, so I was going through my archive of Who Reviews and I realised that my link to 'Genesis of the Daleks' part 2/6 actually links to 'The Fires of Pompeii'.
    As I'm working on a review right now, could somebody please go and find the link for me? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Danke.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Okay, so I was going through my archive of Who Reviews and I realised that my link to 'Genesis of the Daleks' part 2/6 actually links to 'The Fires of Pompeii'.
    As I'm working on a review right now, could somebody please go and find the link for me? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Danke.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1397

Bitte.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

11. - Top - End - #1301

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Merci beaucoup.

You know, I bet a million dollarpounds nobody knows what episode I'm writing up right now.
    Seriously, if someone guesses (three guesses each) I'll let them pick the next episode I do.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Troll in the Playground

Merci beaucoup.

You know, I bet a million dollarpounds nobody knows what episode I'm writing up right now.
    Seriously, if someone guesses (three guesses each) I'll let them pick the next episode I do.
    Does it count as cheating if I guess- having been at the Oxford mini-meet (and possibly given you the episode in question)?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

13. - Top - End - #1303

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Does it count as cheating if I guess- having been at the Oxford mini-meet (and possibly given you the episode in question)?
    Not necessarily. There's still about a dozen episodes to pick from.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

14. - Top - End - #1304

If the people who were there pooled our guesses, we could possibly guarantee that one of us would get it right...
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

15. - Top - End - #1305

Like I said.

Guess.

I dare you.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Troll in the Playground

Not necessarily. There's still about a dozen episodes to pick from.
    Yes, but I think you said something about doing a particular one as I was leaving (could be wrong though)...

Anyway, I'll start the guessing:
    Remembrance of the daleks
    The invasion
    The Unicorn and the wasp (which IIRC was your next new-who review)

Also, just saying, but anyone who isn't in the UK should steer clear of Curly's list of classic who episodes in the UKitP thread.

(Nope, we're not gonna let you win this Curly)
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Using a totally non-random method I guess Earthshock
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Using a totally non-random method I guess Earthshock
    Me too!

For your viewing pleasure I personally have:

The First Doctor
    An Unearthly Child
    The Daleks
    (HELL YEAH!)
    The Edge of Destruction

The Second Doctor
    The Two Doctors (COLIN BAKER! Oh . . . )

The Third Doctor
    The Time Warrior (LIZ SLADEN! smallfrown:)

The Fourth Doctor
    The Sontaran Experiment
    The Invasion of Time
    The Genesis of the Daleks
    (Or at least I should. Why do people keep stealing this serial)

The Sixth Doctor
    The Two Doctors (PATRICK TROUGHTON! JAMIE!)
    I think we can be pretty sure that Earthshock is wrong- you have two more guesses.

(Yes, my classic who guesses don't appear on this list, but I know she has acquired those stories since)
    Part of YugiohITP

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    I think we can be pretty sure that Earthshock is wrong- you have two more guesses.

(Yes, my classic who guesses don't appear on this list, but I know she has acquired those stories since)
    My totally non-random method was a random number generator

My next guess is Snakedance (now there was a weird episode)
    And quite amusingly my next next guess is Genesis of the Daleks.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-03-17 at 07:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Plus can they ever give him any name that does not feel either cheap or silly?
    Ooo! Ooo! I know one! How about 'Bob'!?!

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

Uhm... Wedding of River Song...
    Genesis of the Daleks... (3/6 is the new, I think?)
    Unearthly Child.

Random guesses are random.
    Last edited by Kato; 2012-03-18 at 08:41 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1312

DwarfClericGuy

Hey, Curly's back!
    Ooh, ohh, lemme try: you're going to review "The Unicorn and the Wasp". Are you?
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Orc in the Playground

If it were me, Id' go for An Unearthly Child, start at the beginning.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dr. Si's Old Who Recommendations

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I choose 2 or 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, and a selection of also-rans. "Stories" may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Third Doctor

Fourth Doctor

Fifth Doctor

And so onto the controversial Sixth Doctor. I rather like Colin Baker's portrayal, picking up on the generally negative aspects of the Doctor's personality - take away the elements of compassion and (deliberate) humour from any Doctor and you're left with a pompous oaf, but there are enough moments poking fun at this particular pompous oaf to soften him.

There are several problems with his tenure, though. First, the costume. As with all of Nathan-Turner's Doctors it is obviously A COSTUME and not simply someone with a slightly eccentric dress sense. This one is the worst example, though. I can see the idea - meant to reflect a fractured personality - but it ends up too garish and cartoonish. Surely a mish-mash of non-matching styles would have worked better?
    Second, the writing is more often than not, poor. Who is always a mix of good and not so good, but one of the things that raises it above the general cheapness of production is the quality of writing - at its best it has notes of humour, pathos, serious message and intelligent speculative fiction. At it's worst it's B-movie crud with lots of running around quarries or cheap sets with silly costumes, and there's more of that kind of thing with this Doctor.
    Thirdly, Bonnie Langford. But luckily, she's not in this season.

What's also unusual about this season is that individual episodes are 45 minutes long as opposed to the 25 minutes of previous seasons, the only time this is done until Nu-Who.

Season Twenty Two (1985)
    Sixth Doctor/Peri

Vengeance On Varos – Athough it got a lot of people up in arms at the time over violence, it seems ridiculously tame nowadays. Martin Jarvis gives a good turn as the weary governer, and the two “Greek Chorus” characters are amusing (reminiscent of the vid-watching family who cropped up in old Judge Dredd comics). The show, however, is stolen by Nabil Shaban giving a brilliantly alien performance as the loathsome Sil.

Honourable Mentions
    Mark Of The Rani – Some of the episode cliffhangers are silly, but the location footage is good, the historical idea is interesting and The Rani makes for a refreshing alternative to The Master. We almost don’t need him to turn up as well. A hefty dose of belief-suspending is needed to swallow the “tree mines”, though.

Revelation Of The Daleks – I like the catacomb setting; shame the “Soylent Green” aspect wasn’t played up more. William Gaunt gives a good turn as a cynical yet honourable mercenary knight but it’s a pity he’s pretty much a retread of the character Lytton from Resurrection of…. Really, for a dalek story, it needed more daleks and less Alexei Sayle.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2012-10-10 at 08:15 AM.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Banned

Daemon

My guess!

End of Time
    11th hour
    Next Doctor

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-03-21 at 12:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

27. - Top - End - #1317

Really? That's how they're going to celibrate Dr Who's 50th anniversary? By cutting the season in half?
    Last edited by Axolotl; 2012-03-21 at 03:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Axolotl View Post
    Really? That's how they're going to celebrate Dr Who's 50th anniversary? By cutting the season in half?
    We'll probably still get 13 episodes next year, but instead of them just being from series 8, they'll be from series 7B and series 8A. The only time we get less episodes is this year.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Axolotl View Post
    Really? That's how they're going to celebrate Dr Who's 50th anniversary? By cutting the season in half?
    Hopefully they'll use the time to make a Tennant and Smith crossover special (Eccleston refusing to come back…)

Or something else removed from the series timeline.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Dwarf in the Playground

biggrin Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

The Doctor will meet his new friend in a dramatic turn of events as the show builds towards its enormous, climactic 50th anniversary year - full of thrills, adventures and big surprises.
    (from Androgeus' first link)

That doesn't sound so bad...

And yeah, a crossover would be great! They have a tradition of celebrating anniversaries by having the doctor meet himself, haven't they? And it wouldn't even be hard to explain. There's still another Ten running around out there, albeit in parallel dimension. Or, you know, they could just use time travel

I'm sad that the chances of having Eccleston back are so slim, the reason for the falling out being such a stupid misunderstanding...