New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPanda View Post
    Silence in the library/Forest of the Dead = not so good. Still loved the episodes but the cliffhanger of "We're trapped with no where to run!" is completely mitigated by "Oh, I've got this wonderful thing which, had I mentioned it earlier, would mean there was no tension at all."
    Yeah, I get what you mean, I'm just saying it's nothing new. Pretty sure there was at least one Classic Who cliffhanger along the lines of "Oh no, I'm trapped and going to die!" "Or I could just run this way and get safely back round to the exit."

Moffat obviously takes some things too seriously as well. This is why the Doctor is the most important man in the Universe. Lets face it, he is the most important man in the Universe because he's the one we tune in to watch. Part of the fun I had watching 10's run was that he always thought himself the most important man in the universe and was so often shot down (especially when Donna was around). 11's Doctor knows he is the most important man in the universe and doesn't get shut down nearly often enough, he actually has to try to down play himself.
    I don't know... the thing is, we still have the point that most, or at least a lot of, people don't know who the Doctor is. The thing is that lately all the storylines have revolved around groups that specifically do know about the Doctor - the Silence, etc. And this was well established with e.g. the Daleks. And to any group who do know about the Doctor, he is likely to be at least one of the most important men in the universe, because he is both willing and able to save them, their race and their planet from certain destruction; or cause the destruction himself, depending on what impression they've made on him. To some he's the most wonderful man in the universe, while to others he's the Oncoming Storm, or the thing that was locked in the Pandorica - "A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos."
    Either way, he's important to those who know him, or know of him, and inevitably, after so many years, his reputation is spreading a bit more.

With the stuff about River being the most wanted war criminal ever - it kind of bothers me, but on the other hand, if this is from the point of view of humanity, well in the future when they've developed time travel and stuff, and they've learned about the Doctor, then they know he's saved their race and their planet countless times, so I can see why they might consider his murder to be pretty bad. And as to blowing up the Cybermen, well we know that the Doctor doesn't like the Cybermen, it's just that usually he only encounters them in isolated situations when they're attacking humans, rather than seeking them out to destroy them wherever. In this case he needed to find them, he needed to get their attention, and he has no qualms about destroying them. Especially since he was a bit angry at this point.

.When he stands up to say "Attention: This is Awesome!" its just as corny as Tinkerbell Doctor to me.
    Now that's just low. Nothing is as corny as Tinkerbell Jesus Doctor. Nothing.
    Also, I have no idea what you mean by the "Attention: This is Awesome!" thing.

I think Davies helping tone down/weave together Moffat's stories was a good thing.
    Now, see, this is a point which has been brought up before by Moffat detractors, and the standard response still applies - RTD stated that while he would fiddle about with most writer's episodes, he never changed anything in a Moffat script. The only thing possibly toning them down was the fact he was limited to just one or two episodes per series.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

On the most important person ever thing.

I both agree and disagree with SuperPanda, Moffat does have a habit of making his characters incredibly important to the universe as obviously seen with Amy and River.

However I do think Davies was guilty of the same thing, he just wasn't as good as building it up.

Yo Curls, this got spoilers o' season 4.
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't think I need to describe why Rose became the most important person in the Universe at various points and the Doctors true love.
    Martha was easily the least important of the companions but she got her saving the world moment.
    And Donna was built up to be Doctor Donna and saved the Universe from destruction.

Of the build ups to the most important in the universe moments I think Donna and Amy are the most similar. Both of them take center stage to save the universe in a finale with mild allusions to it through the season.

Also comparable is Rose and River Song, who have gotten more and more things packed onto them since their introduction. Now of the two I prefer River mostly because Rose always annoyed me, but I can definitely see how one would prefer the build up of Rose over River because Moffat has a way of teasing us with how important she will be in the undefined future.

Also, Eleven needs to be shot down more. That's just a fact. He is my favorite of the new Doctors because in the end I prefer madcap lunatic over sappy romantic so unbelievably much. But yeah, there are times when the Doctor needs to have his tie tightened which I think was played with in Good Man Goes to War with the whole doctor means warrior thing. I really hope they explore this path.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2011-09-06 at 02:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Oh wow, I just saw a field of Tens and Elevens and Jennys and Rivers and... other Time Lords 'shag like bunnies' on a wide open field. That was... slightly disturbing. (and kinda hot at the same time. Sorry )
    Wait, why are you apologising?

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Does the doctor need to stuff? Guess we have to ask someone who knows. Where is Rose the who-who-shall-not-be-named when you need her?
    For all the romance, I don't think Rose ever actually got into the Doctor's pants. We should ask River.

Also, Dienekes, you need a Curly-spoiler inside your spoiler for end of series 4 stuff.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    For all the romance, I don't think Rose ever actually got into the Doctor's pants. We should ask River.
    Yeah, River is probably a better idea, sorry, didn't think f her first. Shame on me.
    Curly protect
    Spoiler
    Show

Rose did get copy Ten at the end of season 4 so... I don't think they have a white relationship... (assuming he is a more identical clone than Jenny)

Also, Dienekes, you need a Curly-spoiler inside your spoiler for end of series 4 stuff.
    Seconded. I don't know how she treats spoiler tags but better be careful, please.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

That's what the spoiler was for.

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    That's what the spoiler was for.
    I don't think Curly avoids opening all spoilers in this thread, just ones which are specified as spoiling things she hasn't watched yet, which you didn't specify. Also, the end of series 4 bit is the only thing in that spoiler which she should avoid
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

7. - Top - End - #217

Alright, First off: Thank you for continuing your reviews Curly, I know I've disappeared for a while after calling you Kitty for so long, I got busy during the summer and now I'm taking a break from preparing for my new lecture course that starts next week (Changed what level I'm teaching over the summer).
    Hope you have fun teaching at that new level then.
    And I'm glad you've enjoyed the reviews so far, and the backlog should last a while probably. Aiming to get 'The Unicorn and the Wasp' up either today or tomorrow. Going out with someone special in a bit, so time is time.

To chime in on the Davies vs Moffat debate:

*snipping of a very eloquent explanation*
    I think that sums it up very well.
    I am very biased towards Stephen Moffatt as a writer as I've loved every episode written by him that I'm seen, but I haven't seen all of them.
    The ones I have not seen are 'The Eleventh Hour', 'The Beast Below', the majority of 'The Pandorica Opens'/'The Big Bang', the 'Space'/'Time' Children in Need minisodes, and I haven't seen 'The Silence in the Library'/'Forest of the Dead' in a good two years or so.
    Only looking at what I've done so far, he's had a five straight 'love's from me. They were all mostly studies of a few characters in a horror setting, or a tense situation. This is the kid of thing I tend towards anyway. And the other was straight up comedy love.
    Looking at season six, 'The Impossible Astronaut'/'The Day of the Moon' was still very good, but it seemed a little more 'open' in scope. More characters, more action, more time; and while very good, and I still loved it, there was less 'love' than previously.
    Aristotle wrote in his Poetics of the three Unities: time, place and action.
    Ideally it should take place in one day, in one place, with one main plot and no or few subplots.
    Not following these is fine, many of the Greek playwrights don't fit these unities, and few English playwrights followed them (in part because they were unaware of them).
    But Moffatt, by accident or design does follow these Unities fairly well.
    'The Empty Child' - the story covers no more than two or three hours; it's settings are minimal: one house, one hospital room and Jack's ship for the most part; the main plot is the child, and the subplots are two. The first is Nancy's unknown connection with the child, and at this point, the subplot is so wound up with the plot it's inextricable at this point. The second is Jack/Rose flirtation, and this subplot unites with the main one about two-third of the way through. The story is left incomplete, so we turn to the next story
    'The Doctor Dances' - another three or so hours. The setting is the hospital and the blockade around it, with one scene set in a wagon. The main plot and subplot two are united, and Nancy's plot proper begins as she maks her own way to the hospital. These are united about three-quarter of the way into the episode. And we end on a minor spectacle, where the Doctor acting almost as a deus ex machina makes everything better.
    As a whole story, the setting is almost entirely hospital based; the time is no more than eight hours being generous; and the plots are tied very tightly together making relatively seamless transition from one to the other.
    In other words, by Aristotle's reckoning, and almost perfect Classical play.
    With 'The Girl in the Fireplace' we get timey wimey stuff. So the time is both less than a day, but at the same time spans an entire lifetime. The setting is Revolutionary France and a space ship. And the action is 'save the girl', a sparking one-sided romance and 'save the Companions'.
    'Time Crash'. Ten minutes or so, two characters, one place, one plot. Fun.
    'Blink' is the same. Four characters, three main settings, and there's only one plot. GET THE ANGELS AWAY FROM US! As for time, I think two or three days, and a later epilogue.
    Because of this the episodes feel very tightly written, flows wonderfully, and it's as if everything said and done is for a purpose whether it really is or not. Because there's a smaller cast of characters, and for the most part there's nothing Super Urgent that isn't going to affect the characters we're focussed on directly.
    When it comes to the season six opening story, the three Unities are more broken than they have been in his other stories, and while not jarring, makes it seem too open. That three month break in particular is very odd when it comes to the pacing and structure of the story.
    What I think is going to happen is that that three month break could be explained later on in this season.
    But that still doesn't fix the unexplained snag in the story's composition. Now, I like the three Unities, it's a fantastic way to base a critical or literary analysis, but they most certainly are not the be-all and end-all of dramatic structure. Shakespeare almost never followed the three Unities and his plays, by common consensus, make him the the greatest English playwright ever, where Ben Jonson (a contemporary) who followed the three Unities isn't as remembered or studied.
    However, this is the best way for me to explain why I love Moffatt's stories a lot. The spectacle isn't enormous, but it's a climax that fits the rhythm and tone of the story. Compare Nine's nanogene manipulation with Rose-Who-Is-God later on in the same season.
    Moffatt's use of spectacle, and RTD's respectively. RTD's wasn't as in-step with the rhythm of the episode as Moffatt's was for that season.
    And onto my next point. Hopefully shorter.

The RTD episodes I've seen have been 'love', 'confused' or 'why did you ruin such a good story with that?!'
    'Rose', 'The End of the World', 'Aliens of London'/'World War Three', 'The Long Game', 'Boom Town', 'Bad Wolf'/'The Parting of the Ways', 'The Christmas Invasion', 'New Earth', Tooth and Claw', 'Love and Monsters', 'Army of Ghosts'/'Doomsday', 'The Runaway Bride, 'Smith and Jones', 'Gridlock', 'Utopia'/'The Sound of the Drums'/'Last of the Time Lords', 'Voyage of the Damned', 'Partners in Crime'.
    He's written a lot more episodes, so he's going to have a lot more hits and misses. If you look, you see that in season one RTD had a lot more control over every episode with eight episodes being written by him.
    I really liked season one. Nine was amazing, and Rose was pretty fun even though I wouldn't want her as a friend, I even enjoyed their flirting. But of those episodes two I really didn't like, and the rest were just good aside from 'Rose' which I actually loved.
    Season two, out of his five episodes, there was only one episode I loved from him. This was overall a really weak season, the weakest of them all so far for me. I think in season two RTD started giving people more leeway, and overall the script quality was much poorer the before, possibly because by then RTD'd got Doctor Who on a contract of some sort.
    The third I really think he got the balance right as a show runner. It's the strongest season I've seen by far. And with the exception of 'Gridlock' and the TinkerbellJesus!Doctor moment I either really enjoyed or loved all of his episodes.
    However. Because of his overfondness of grand spectacle he often sabotages his finales. That TinkerbellJEsus!Doctor did ruin what was otherwise a near-perfect finale.

But I can't deny RTD was a brilliant show runner, although I think he meddled a bit too much at a script level.
    I agree with your thoughts on Moffatt. He's a fantastic script writer, but his style has gotten a bit looser, a bit les complex, possibly because he's adjusting to being a show runner as well.
    Note that the number of RTD's episodes I liked increased as he became better as a show runner. I think that the . . . oddness we're seeing in both the overall season's tone and enjoyment factor, and in his own episodes is down to his additional duties. Season 6a is a bit like season 2 in that the quality fluctuates a lot more on an episode level and in general, and I do think part of that is down to the last minute switch of ep. 3 and ep 9.
    Season five, from all I've heard was very fun, and a very strong season. Just like RTD's first season.
    This is Moffatt's season two. Make or break time. For me, RTD broke, and then he fixed himself up very well.
    In a way, I think RTD and Moffatt should have tried a season as co-show runners. I think that would have made the perfect season. But Moffatt's style as a show runner is, in general, more preferred than RTDs' because Moffatt understands subtlety.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    Just quoting to say: This. So much this. What's more it can be all those things in a single episode sometimes.
    Yep.
    Whoever came up with the TARDIS, and then whoever came up with the idea of regeneration are geniuses. It's the perfect combination.
    It can run forever because if the Doctor's actor leaves or dies, kill off that version of the Doctor, and bring on another person to reinvent him.
    And the TARDIS goes wherever it pleases.
    I wouldn't be surprised if, in 2063 Doctor Who celebrates its 100th birthday. It's unlikely, I know, but it has the potential to, and it'll technically still have the same main character.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, Eleven needs to be shot down more. That's just a fact. He is my favorite of the new Doctors because in the end I prefer madcap lunatic over sappy romantic so unbelievably much. But yeah, there are times when the Doctor needs to have his tie tightened which I think was played with in Good Man Goes to War with the whole doctor means warrior thing. I really hope they explore this path.
    I both agree and disagree.

On the one hand, yes, this "the Doctor is awesome and the whole universe knows it, except oddly enough for the one planet he spends the most time saving" thing is a little obnoxious. Sure, by this point he's saved the whole of creation enough times to warrant a little fame, but it doesn't make for as good storytelling as a lower profile Doctor.

On the other hand, I actually think 11 is better than 10 when it came to this. 10 had a very "take charge" attitude. He arrived in a situation and immediately commanded the awe and respect of those around him. And anyone who questioned the fact that a complete stranger could butt in and suddenly be giving the orders was absolutely wrong.

11 is more of a dweeb. When people look at him with their jaws dropped it's because they think he's nuts, not because they think he's awesome. And when he gets all blustery and pompous, it's usually played for laughs. Take 10's first proper episode, New Earth. The instant he finds out what's going on, he demands that it be stopped. And he tells those involved that if they are looking for a higher authority, there isn't one. And he freaking means it.

Now look at 11 in The Lodger. He goes off on a similar rant when someone mentions killing someone else, all rage and seriousness and "don't mess with me"...except he was talking to a guy who merely wanted to beat the opposing football team and ended up looking like a fool.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Oh I love the fact that the Doctor gets laughed at and makes small mistakes. But I want a section or two where they are down and out wrong and their face is rubbed in it. Admittedly Good Man Goes to War has that moment where the Doctor was tricked but it was completely nullified almost immediately with the reveal.

What I want to happen a bit more is like what happens in The Poison Sky and Doctor's Daughter(I know I'm using these only because they're in my mind from Curly). In Poison Sky the Doctor repeats you can't fight Sontarans and the humans ignore him and put up a good fight on their own also coming up with a few tricks the Doctor didn't see coming. In Doctor's Daughter I love the whole exchange where Jenny calls the Doctor out on being a hypocrite because he totally is a soldier.

That doesn't really happen to Eleven which I think is missed. Just someone with the gumption to go "Shut up Doctor" and not having the Doctor be able to make an adequate comeback. Now I don't want to make him ineffectual of course, but once or twice would be funny. For example of something similar, my roommate just got me watching the Mentalist. I've seen most of the first season and while I enjoy the character most of all I just want someone to prove him absolutely wrong about something very important.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh I love the fact that the Doctor gets laughed at and makes small mistakes. But I want a section or two where they are down and out wrong and their face is rubbed in it. Admittedly Good Man Goes to War has that moment where the Doctor was tricked but it was completely nullified almost immediately with the reveal.
    How about Victory of the Daleks? It's aptly named, the Daleks won. They tricked him, got away with it, and all in all things would have been better if he hadn't shown up at all.

Sure, he stopped them from destroying the earth. But the only reason they tried to do that in the first place was so that they could get away. And it worked perfectly.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2011-09-06 at 05:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    How about Victory of the Daleks? It's aptly named, the Daleks won. They tricked him, got away with it, and all in all things would have been better if he hadn't shown up at all.

Sure, he stopped them from destroying the earth. But the only reason they tried to do that in the first place was so that they could get away. And it worked perfectly.
    Aye but he did stop them from destroying the Earth, and right after the Daleks free decrying their superiority. Seemed more like a schoolyard bully running behind a teacher and then taunting that they would have so beat you up if the teacher wasn't there. It felt kind of pathetic.

Also did we ever think the Daleks wouldn't come back? Really? It never felt so much as a loss more of an explanation of the inevitable Dalek episode. And mind you this is coming from a die hard Dalek fan.

[As an aside, Moffat, make the Daleks frightening again. Their best appearance so far in new-Who is still their first. A hint for how to do this: not be defeated by their own stupidity or suddenly space capable WWI planes.]

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

To be fair, he didn't write that particular episode. At least we don't have to worry about Daleks this series. I seem to recall reading an article months back where Moffat said he was benching them this series in order to make their next appearance a tad more dramatic.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    The ones I have not seen are 'The Eleventh Hour', 'The Beast Below', the majority of 'The Pandorica Opens'/'The Big Bang', the 'Space'/'Time' Children in Need minisodes, and I haven't seen 'The Silence in the Library'/'Forest of the Dead' in a good two years or so.
    I hope Curse of a Fatal Death isn't on that list because you have seen it
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

14. - Top - End - #224

Aiming to get 'The Unicorn and the Wasp' up either today or tomorrow. Going out with someone special in a bit, so time is time.
    1. Huzzah!
    2. And now I'm all curious. Hope you had a good time with whoever it was anyway.

And also, a general thing:

Stephen Moffatt
    You mean Steven Moffat. Steven has a V and Moffat has only one T.
    This is not just directed at Koorly, but other people as well and it just bugs me that people spell the name wrong. I mean it's not like it's displayed in the credits of every single episode of the current series or anything, oh no...

Oh, and I was interested by your looking at the Aristotelian unities in Moffat's episodes. Nothing really to comment on about it, just I found it interesting, not least because I was briefly told about them when studying Hamlet (Which breaks them all over the place) for A-level English Lit, but my teacher never fully explained them.

On the other hand, I actually think 11 is better than 10 when it came to this. 10 had a very "take charge" attitude. He arrived in a situation and immediately commanded the awe and respect of those around him. And anyone who questioned the fact that a complete stranger could butt in and suddenly be giving the orders was absolutely wrong.
    Yeah, I can't think of a situation where Eleven has basically walked in and taken charge without having been invited to do so. And when it comes down to it, a big thing with the Doctor is that actions speak much louder than words. Eleven doesn't generally waltz in and take over by sheer force of personality, in fact he's very much set up to not do so - see his 'rules of engagement' as cited by River and Rory: "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." "Look ridiculous!" Eleven doesn't come across as the kind of person who takes charge. But when he has to, typically his actions speak for him - important people will not listen to some strange man in ragged clothes, but they will if he on the spot shows them the real proof of Fermat's Last Theorem, stuff on FTL travel and so on. The Atraxi seem to do what they like, but they will accept a scolding from a man who has defeated countless invading alien forces coming to Earth. The Cybermen don't give out information to some random guy dressed as a Roman, but they will if he's accompanied by a man who can blow up one of their fleets just like that. And so on.

Aye but he did stop them from destroying the Earth, and right after the Daleks free decrying their superiority. Seemed more like a schoolyard bully running behind a teacher and then taunting that they would have so beat you up if the teacher wasn't there. It felt kind of pathetic.
    But that's not really the point of this. The point was before that: "I wanted to know what their plan was - I was their plan." The Doctor restored his greatest enemy to much greater power because he got angry at them.
    And as to stopping them destroying the Earth, not to mention saving London from the Germans, he didn't really do that. Amy, Churchill and Bracewell did it.

Also, another one of these: Time of Angels. "I've made a mistake and we're all in terrible danger."
    "Yeah, called you an idiot. Sorry, but there was no way we were going to rescue them." "I know that sir. And when you've flown away in your little blue box, I'll explain that to their families."
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I can't think of a situation where Eleven has basically walked in and taken charge without having been invited to do so.
    You mean like in The Impossible Astronaut where he set up shop in the President's office like he owned the place?
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

16. - Top - End - #226

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    You mean like in The Impossible Astronaut where he set up shop in the President's office like he owned the place?
    You mean when they were narrowly persuaded not to just shoot him on the spot? And were still going to do so if he didn't provide an answer to their problem sharpish?
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

You mean when they were narrowly persuaded not to just shoot him on the spot? And were still going to do so if he didn't provide an answer to their problem sharpish?
    He still walked in and took charge in much the same way 10 did, down to sitting down and putting his feet up on the president's desk.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

He still walked in and took charge in much the same way 10 did, down to sitting down and putting his feet up on the president's desk.
    That's kinda the joke, though. He expected to command respect because he somehow parked a magical blue box in the middle of the Oval Office. What he got instead was a rather sharp reminder that this sort of thing doesn't work on everybody.

By the way, anyone else think that was a bit of meta-humor? Doctor Who is a cultural icon in the UK, and when the Doctor shows up among British people he usually has no trouble wowing them with little more than a glance at the psychic paper and an "I belong here" demeanor.

The show is less revered in the US, however, so when he tries that attitude among Americans he just barely manages to avoid getting shot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

That's kinda the joke, though. He expected to command respect because he somehow parked a magical blue box in the middle of the Oval Office. What he got instead was a rather sharp reminder that this sort of thing doesn't work on everybody.
    Except it did work. Sure, they pointed some guns at him for a minute, but as usual, he talked them down and was made the point man on the investigation. Just like he wanted. If we want to talk about times where the Doctor couldn't just swoop in and take charge, you just have to look at Curly's latest review, when the clones simply toss 10 in a cell.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

By the way, anyone else think that was a bit of meta-humor? Doctor Who is a cultural icon in the UK, and when the Doctor shows up among British people he usually has no trouble wowing them with little more than a glance at the psychic paper and an "I belong here" demeanor.

The show is less revered in the US, however, so when he tries that attitude among Americans he just barely manages to avoid getting shot.
    I'd say it was more a reflection of how Americans tend to be portrayed in British TV shows. I've noticed Americans are often shown as trigger happy and stubborn, two traits displayed to a 't' in that episode.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    I'd say it was more a reflection of how Americans tend to be portrayed in British TV shows. I've noticed Americans are often shown as trigger happy and stubborn, two traits displayed to a 't' in that episode.
    This too, they even made a joke about that.
    Dr: "Come on, you wouldn't really shoot..."
    River: "They're Americans."
    Dr: "Oh! Good point." *Jumps out of the seat*

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

This too, they even made a joke about that.
    Dr: "Come on, you wouldn't really shoot..."
    River: "They're Americans."
    Dr: "Oh! Good point." *Jumps out of the seat*
    I'd completely forgotten about that, good memory.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

But that's not really the point of this. The point was before that: "I wanted to know what their plan was - I was their plan." The Doctor restored his greatest enemy to much greater power because he got angry at them.
    And as to stopping them destroying the Earth, not to mention saving London from the Germans, he didn't really do that. Amy, Churchill and Bracewell did it.
    Rationally, you're right. However it doesn't feel like a real shot at the Doctor when I saw it, mostly because I kinda already knew the Daleks were going to come back. It's in their contract.

Also, another one of these: Time of Angels. "I've made a mistake and we're all in terrible danger."
    "Yeah, called you an idiot. Sorry, but there was no way we were going to rescue them." "I know that sir. And when you've flown away in your little blue box, I'll explain that to their families."
    Don't remember that at all really, mind you it's been awhile since I saw that episode. I remember the Doctor being shanghai'd into an impossible situation where people were going to die no matter what and ended up destroying an army of angels. I also remember a battle priest was kinda badass but that's about all. I may need to watch this episode again or prepare to insert foot in mouth.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

I think Eleven is getting a scolding pretty soon, and he kind of already got one in a Good Man Goes to War. Eleven is a lot more trigger happy.

Also as to taking charge his whole speech to the dad in Night Terrors was very assertive, and I don't recall it being eleven's first time taking control.

Personally I like eleven a lot but I think Smith is so refreshing because of Tennant being so very different and yet the same. The Doctor's struggle with his actions was an important part of his development but once he had come to terms with that a bit it was time for some fun. Course Smith takes it a little far but still.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

[As an aside, Moffat, make the Daleks frightening again. Their best appearance so far in new-Who is still their first. A hint for how to do this: not be defeated by their own stupidity or suddenly space capable WWI planes.]
    The problem there is that the lone Dalek in "Dalek" was shown as being enormously powerful--it single-handedly took out the entire security force at that underground base! If you had a whole bunch of Daleks that powerful you really struggle to find ways to defeat them. IMHO, while "Dalek" was a superb episode, it set a benchmark for what a Dalek can do that made it almost impossible to use them again, which is why they got scaled back in later appearances.

Mind you, same thing happened in the original series, only not quite so fast because the Daleks didn't appear as often; by the end of it we were seeing nigh-invincible killing machines being taken out by a teenager with a baseball bat!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The problem there is that the lone Dalek in "Dalek" was shown as being enormously powerful--it single-handedly took out the entire security force at that underground base! If you had a whole bunch of Daleks that powerful you really struggle to find ways to defeat them. IMHO, while "Dalek" was a superb episode, it set a benchmark for what a Dalek can do that made it almost impossible to use them again, which is why they got scaled back in later appearances.

Mind you, same thing happened in the original series, only not quite so fast because the Daleks didn't appear as often; by the end of it we were seeing nigh-invincible killing machines being taken out by a teenager with a baseball bat!
    Don't underestimate the scout if you were from where he is from you would be dead.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post

But this is why the Cult of Skaro could have been such an interesting opponent for the Doctor, in theory. 4 lone Daleks would have been a powerful, and terrifying but beatable monster that tested the Doctor as well as possibly even developing some identities for them.

Now what actually happened was they all turned into idiots and died either in a ludicrous plot or because the super geniuses couldn't figure out to use their own buggering kill switch. But that's beside the point.

Dalek showed that a single Dalek could be a gravely powerful threat, there doesn't need to be a huge universe conquering force to have a good Dalek story and making a universe conquering force also has the added problem of showing every Dalek get destroyed. It gets old the fifth time around. Expand a little, give them the creep factor. Or if you want to this is a time travel show. Go back to a time when they weren't as powerful if that can make them frightening again (the irony of this sentence is not lost on me).

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just chiming in to say I agree with Curly, or Kitty, or whatever she wants to be called on the "Night Terrors was freaking horrifying" front.

Also: You people write lots of words.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I'll try to choose 2, maybe 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, which may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

Previous Posts:
    Season One
    Season Two

And now...

Season Three (1965-1966)
    First Doctor/Vicki/Steven/Dodo/Polly/Ben

The Daleks Master Plan – if you miss out the piddling about with the Meddling Monk and the Christmas specials, this is actually quite a taut and gritty political thriller, dominated by the excellent Kevin Stoney as Mavic Chen, and very bleak in tone. Yes, I know, daleks again! And, sadly, most of this is reconstructed as well. Oh, also, first appearance of Nicholas Courtney, but not as The Brig yet.
    (Edit: Now that I recall, the Monk is in The Chase (another dalek tale), not this series).

The Massacre – another fairly grim tale, this one centres on Peter Purvis’ character Steven who, it must be said, is an otherwise fairly bland companion but works well in this story as the innocent abroad. An interesting historical dealing with matters of faith and prejudice in a surprisingly forthright, almost angry, way. Sadly, reconstructed only.

Honourable Mentions
    The Ark – at least, rarely for this season, it is all intact. Highlighted for two reasons. One is that it is one of the few Who stories where we see the future results of the characters’ actions, the other is that fantastic panning shot of the giant statue.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2012-10-10 at 07:49 AM.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Just someone with the gumption to go "Shut up Doctor" and not having the Doctor be able to make an adequate comeback.
    Sadly, every Companion isn't Donna Noble.

Also did we ever think the Daleks wouldn't come back? Really? It never felt so much as a loss more of an explanation of the inevitable Dalek episode. And mind you this is coming from a die hard Dalek fan.

Nitpick the First: The Daleks weren't defeated, much less "by their own stupidity." Look at their starting and ending positions: they went from a handful of raggedy survivors to a whole army of new-production units. And how did they accomplish this? By predicting how the Doctor would react, taking advantage of it, and having a fallback ready in case they needed extra leverage to get away at the end. True, they left Earth without wiping out humanity; but with their newly reinvigorated forces, they likely believe they can come back and do that at their leisure.

Nitpick the Second: WW2. Churchill, Blitz, monoplane fighters (Spitfires, even!)? WW2.

Nitpick the Third: Those fighters were re-fitted with Dalek technology, courtesy of the Daleks themselves. Even so, two-thirds of them were wiped out in the attack. And again, the Daleks weren't defeated in the episode.

Rationally, you're right. However it doesn't feel like a real shot at the Doctor when I saw it, mostly because I kinda already knew the Daleks were going to come back. It's in their contract.
    Really? Because it absolutely felt like that to me. The Daleks ran a game on the Doctor - they straight-up outsmarted him. Then they taunted him. Then they successfully maneuvered him into letting them leave unmolested. In what way is any of that not a shot at the Doctor?

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine