New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1177
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Can we just do another music thread?

I'm having trouble deciding between Deftones' Koi No Yokan and Faunts' Left Here Alone for Album of the Year.
    This is what you get when you turn your back
    A clear blue sky turning dirty black

2. - Top - End - #992
    Bugbear in the Playground

Drunken youtube DJ time! Started off in a sappy 80s mood (Nik Kershaw, Icicle Works, Howard Jones, etc) but have, as usual moved into a goth/industrial direction (Ministry, The Cure, Snog, Alien Sex Fiend, I even played a KMFDM song!) Playlist would be equal parts awesome and embarrassing.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Post-show videos!

Foxtails Brigade: "Don't Look Down" and "Steak and Cookies".
    Autumn Sky: "At Home" and "Best and Worst".
    Musical Charis: "The Life" and "The Woo Song".

Also, I have talked my way into shooting a bonafide music video for the collaboration between Autumn and Musical Charis I shared a few days ago, "Calling Out".
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Drunken youtube DJ time! Started off in a sappy 80s mood (Nik Kershaw, Icicle Works, Howard Jones, etc) but have, as usual moved into a goth/industrial direction (Ministry, The Cure, Snog, Alien Sex Fiend, I even played a KMFDM song!) Playlist would be equal parts awesome and embarrassing.
    Every 80's playlist would be incomplete without Sisters of Mercy.

And it's not sappy until you pick Bangles or Erasure.

As for the embarrasment, at least you didn't put Limahl, Frankie Goes Hollywood, Baltimora or Taco. Although Nik Kershaw fits all to well in such an ensamble.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

5. - Top - End - #995

Quote Originally Posted by OhJohnNo View Post
    I'm having trouble deciding between Deftones' Koi No Yokan and Faunts' Left Here Alone for Album of the Year.
    Would Haha, I'm Sorry factor in there somewhere? "Okay Cupid" is one of the better opening tracks out there.

6. - Top - End - #996

Maybe if it were longer, but even then, I don't feel qualified to judge hip-hop yet.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ogre in the Playground

So, This Town Needs Guns just released their new album (at least digitally they have), anyone listened to it yet? They've got it up on their bandcamp.

Only listened to it once so far, but I like it. Still has the same technical math rock emphasis, and the new singer really adds a nice something while not being too different. I'll admit I was a bit worried when they lost Cooper, the bassist, that they wouldn't be able to keep up the complexity with only three musicians, but they did not disappoint.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

8. - Top - End - #998
    Troll in the Playground

Hi guys. I'm looking for a song, but I don't know what it's called.

I know the chorus has "Hold on [to what you are?]," and the phrase "and if the water," and it's sung by a woman. Sorry if that isn't much to go on, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just posted an outtake from my TV show to promote tomorrow night's premiere. As I think I've said before, I was really happy with the quality and energy we got from the audio in all of these shoots, and now you can see for yourself.

Walking Spanish with "Counterfeit Wishbones"
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Troll in the Playground

I recently discovered Rainbow and it's (or was) amazing.

There is also this little band called Potliquor (this is worth a listen as well).
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ettin in the Playground

not sure if this is relevant to many, but I've been following this bluesman on youtube for a while, because he's pretty good with a harp, and he's got a few interesting things to say about musicianship and being a bluesman in general.
    Last edited by dehro; 2013-01-26 at 10:12 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

OK, one more about my TV show and I'll stop for a while.

But now you can see the entire first episode on YouTube featuring Walking Spanish. These guys know how to rock the house, and have headlined a couple of times for Sacramento's Concert in the Park series where the crowd is typically around 6000.

There's a link from the YouTube Channel to the Facebook page for the show for anybody who would like to follow what we're doing over there.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground

The new young-artist-in-residence for Performance Today is amazing.

http://performancetoday.publicradio....dan-dodson-yar
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ogre in the Playground

So, the Strokes new single came out last week.

S'alright. I like it for the most part, though I'm not really certain Casablancas is the falsetto type.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Troll in the Playground

New Tegan and Sara album is out, and it's some seriously good indie synthpop. I'd say it's one of their most complete albums next to The Con.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

16. - Top - End - #1006

Oh, hey, the new My Bloody Valentine actually came out! I am sort of surprised by that...it's been 20 years of "real soon now, guys!"

I dig it. It's pretty diverse, which is always a good thing. A couple songs I loved immediately, and a couple I'm not sure about, but seemed like the sort of thing that might grow on me. Do I like it as much as Loveless? Of course not, I've been listening to that record for 20 years. But on the first couple listens, it does seem like one that will stick with me for a very long time as well.

Oh, and as an aside, I do not think this is the record Kevin Shields has claimed to be working on since 91. I think this is the record that has come about after the band got back together (2008 I think).

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    New Tegan and Sara album is out, and it's some seriously good indie synthpop. I'd say it's one of their most complete albums next to The Con.
    Psh. Sainthood > The Con > Heartthrob. Though I really dig Heartthrob, I do, and it's cohesive, but it is way less charming than their previous three and it's just like... synth pop I guess. It's not exciting, even though I enjoy it and have been listening to it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Oh, hey, the new My Bloody Valentine actually came out! I am sort of surprised by that...it's been 20 years of "real soon now, guys!"

I dig it. It's pretty diverse, which is always a good thing. A couple songs I loved immediately, and a couple I'm not sure about, but seemed like the sort of thing that might grow on me. Do I like it as much as Loveless? Of course not, I've been listening to that record for 20 years. But on the first couple listens, it does seem like one that will stick with me for a very long time as well.

Oh, and as an aside, I do not think this is the record Kevin Shields has claimed to be working on since 91. I think this is the record that has come about after the band got back together (2008 I think).
    I think I might prefer M B V to Loveless but we'll see. I was never a huge MBV fan but M B V has grown on me in the past few days, and the last 3 tracks are IMO pretty brilliant. I'd give it a 9.0 or so. I think Pitchfork's 9.1 review was fair.

My January Favorites, as of Feb 1st:

Blue Hawaii - Untogether
    Broadcast - Berberian Sound Studio
    Buke and Gase - General Dome
    Jar Moff - Commercial Mouth
    Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

18. - Top - End - #1008

The last three tracks seem to be dividing people, but I'm with you, they're awesome. I also really dig "New You", which isn't as complex, but it's got such a nice groove.

I've also been REALLY loving the new-ish New Order album (outtakes from the Waiting For The Sirens' Call sessions). Well produced, lots of synths, great bass, catchy tunes and terrible lyrics. Everything I love about New Order! Given the current bad blood, Hooky probably won't be recording with the band again. This makes me very sad.

Also heard this week the new Coheed and Cambria...I'm not really a fan but my girlfriend is. I do seem to be liking more of their songs with each new album (and as they sound less like Rush). But the new album has a song that so hilariously over-the-top and cheesy...I cannot describe how much I love this damn song.

19. - Top - End - #1009

Excited for mbv, I have to say. I'm pretty sure Loveless is the best damn album of the 90s, so... Is what I'd be saying if Illmatic didn't exist.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I was visiting a friend's soundcloud account, and this gem of an act was down below in "related" group of songs the service recommends.

Daughter is a London trio with a rich sonic texture and haunting broody vocals from Elena Tonra. They have 2 EPs out, with a full album about to be released.

I've been listening to Still (new single with official video), and Landfill (from one of the EPs, with a really nice example of a fanmade photo/lyric video) almost nonstop for the past day, and these seem to be good examples of the rest of their music. KEXP radio in Seattle has a full live set to view as well, showing they aren't just a creation of studio magic.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Troll in the Playground

I think Loveless is kinda overrated. I'm not even meaning to be incendiary here, but I just don't hear it. @_@
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

22. - Top - End - #1012

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    And I can tell you the exact opposite, thanks to how vaguely those genres are defined, and how they're all part of the same family. So much so, that the post punk revival is also known as New Wave revival, garage rock revival, or new rock revolution.

These hairs are so incredibly fine. We may as well just throw them all under the Alternative Rock umbrella.

EDIT: Incidentally, the term post-punk was originally coined to differentiate bands like The Cure and Joy Division from New Wave.
    I'm not sure if adding "revivalism" to the end of something makes it an entirely new genre. I know that the "revivalists" have been known to add their own flavours to the mix but if there is a difference it certainly doesn't warrant an entirely new genre. Crap like this is why everything is so overcategorised in music.

And we've already had a debate here about "new wave" and "post-punk". I think they're the same (yes, even This Heat) and the latter term is a load of crap, ergo, new wave.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    I'm not sure if adding "revivalism" to the end of something makes it an entirely new genre. I know that the "revivalists" have been known to add their own flavours to the mix but if there is a difference it certainly doesn't warrant an entirely new genre. Crap like this is why everything is so overcategorised in music.

And we've already had a debate here about "new wave" and "post-punk". I think they're the same (yes, even This Heat) and the latter term is a load of crap, ergo, new wave.
    Not much I can say to that, really. Those terms clearly exist, and have some kind of criteria defining them, however vague. Beyond that--and frankly even a great deal before that--it's all subjective.

In other news, I'm currently listening to Life is People by Bill Fay.

EDIT: And now it's Johnny Cash.
    Last edited by VanBuren; 2013-02-12 at 12:26 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1014

Not much I can say to that, really. Those terms clearly exist, and have some kind of criteria defining them, however vague. Beyond that--and frankly even a great deal before that--it's all subjective.
    Doesn't mean we can't discuss it. This entire thread is a cluster of subjectivity particles colliding at the speed of thought. Talking about art/entertainment is too fun to let a concept like "we can't be objective so let's not talk about it" ruin it.

In other news, I'm currently listening to Life is People by Bill Fay.
    I like you. Wanna hang out?

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Doesn't mean we can't discuss it. This entire thread is a cluster of subjectivity particles colliding at the speed of thought. Talking about art/entertainment is too fun to let a concept like "we can't be objective so let's not talk about it" ruin it.
    That's true. Maybe I should just accept the inherent absurdity in categorizing musical genres.

I like you. Wanna hang out?
    Heh, sure. Lemme know if you're ever in Seattle.

26. - Top - End - #1016

That's true. Maybe I should just accept the inherent absurdity in categorizing musical genres.
    You didn't realize that already? I think I realized when I saw someone use the term "blackgrass"* unironically. I wept that night.

*Black metal/bluegrass

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You didn't realize that already? I think I realized when I saw someone use the term "blackgrass"* unironically. I wept that night.

*Black metal/bluegrass
    I recognized it, but I never fully embraced it.

28. - Top - End - #1018

I recognized it, but I never fully embraced it.
    If I was undisputed emperor of the world I would streamline the whole thing. Give it a back to basics approach. I had it all planned out and everything. I don't remember what my list of genres was, it was large, but it was nothing compared to the number of terms being flung around now.
    Last edited by DJ Yung Crunk; 2013-02-12 at 12:42 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Tonight's poison?

Koi No Yokan by Deftones.

30. - Top - End - #1020

Indeed. I know only one person who dislikes that album, and his post is sitting directly above yours.

Mine tonight (well, this morning), meanwhile, is The Joy Formidable's Wolf's Law.
    Last edited by OhJohnNo; 2013-02-18 at 06:37 AM.