New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Werewolf Central VIII: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by bladescape View Post
    And I'm guessing you'll want an explanation for my comment as well. So let's see. You're alikening a mother trying to comfort a child over something he's done wrong and tried to fix by doing something more wrong....

To Rune saying that action is better than inaction? He never said SuperDark's actions are right. He never tried to comfort SuperDark. ALL he said is that getting the courage to try doing something, even wrong, is better than sitting back. How are they similar? The whole motivation is different.
    He's giving a more obvious example of an action that is worse than inaction. Rune's assertion forms an excuse for Super Dark's behavior, which is what is likened to comforting in the metaphor.

You're grandma yelling at the man from the other side of town to leave her family alone and I'm that annoying kid from next door that points out that the man just wants his cat back, so if you'll just let it go...
    The BareFoot Programmer

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Werewolf Central VIII: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

Bladescape, my point is he quoted me, talking about Meta, and then went on to talk about stuff people were doing in other games that related in no way at all to Meta. What I was asking was what the heck was it about what I said that had at all to do with what he was saying? As far as I can tell it was equivalent to me taking a quote where you were talking about....let's say, ducks and then being upset about other people talking about bees somewhere else. It didn't have anything to do with anything I said or the topic at hand and yet he used a quote of me talking about something else as a springboard for it. And I didn't really appreciate that.

Edit: To be clear my issue is not that he talked about this topic. Just that he quoted something I said, said nothing relevant to the quote, and then the format of the post then made it at least appear as if my quote had anything to do with the topic he then started talking about.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2012-02-07 at 07:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TBFProgrammer View Post
    He's giving a more obvious example of an action that is worse than inaction. Rune's assertion forms an excuse for Super Dark's behavior, which is what is likened to comforting in the metaphor.

You're grandma yelling at the man from the other side of town to leave her family alone and I'm that annoying kid from next door that points out that the man just wants his cat back, so if you'll just let it go...
    Yes, Rune's assertion is an excuse. However, such an overblown, then, example isn't what was needed.

Also, I was never asserting that Rune was in the right. I supported the fact that Firemeier and Thufir still did not approve. What I was getting annoyed about is that Tsofu took something, in my opinion at the time, out of context a bit.

I'd appreciate it if you withdrew the 'Grandma' comment, thanks. As that was a misrepresentation.

EDIT:
    @Ramsus:
    He was springboarding off the conversation about publicity. It's like If I quote something that reminded me about what I was talking about, it's not that much of a stretch, thanks.
    Last edited by bladescape; 2012-02-07 at 07:31 PM.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

4. - Top - End - #604
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    Oh, yes, speaking of which... Can we all just get over Super dark in Medieval? Thanks. I'm not loving the negative publicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    Unless you were directly involved in causing the incident I couldn't see how any of this would reflect poorly upon you or your game.
    This. It's not bad publicity for your game, it's bad publicity for superdark.
    Besides which, the stuff in Assassins is not us going on about what he did in Medieval. We're going on about what he did in Assassins. If anyone should be annoyed and want it to stop, it's Lex.

@Ramsus: You mentioned publicity, he went on to talk about negative publicity, they're obviously related subjects.
    Edit: But just as superdark's actions should not impinge on Medieval, similarly what Penguinator said in relation to your wuote should not impinge on you.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2012-02-07 at 07:31 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    @Ramsus: You mentioned publicity, he went on to talk about negative publicity, they're obviously related subjects.
    Ah, thank you. This is the connection I wasn't seeing.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bladescape View Post
    I'd appreciate it if you withdrew the 'Grandma' comment, thanks. As that was a misrepresentation.
    Twas meant as a joke. Really, just imagine the scene for a minute:

"Why you no good rotten kid. What do you think you're doing stealing my cat you lousy little mongrel. Why I oughta..." -Grumpy man

"He's just trying to make up for something he..." -Mother

"Now look here lady, your little brat there..." -Grumpy man

*Emerging with cane wagging in air* "Don' chu be talking to my family like that..." -Grandma

"com'mon mam, he just wants his caat baack" -annoying kid

And then everyone starts fighting each other while the cat runs off somewhere else.
    The BareFoot Programmer

7. - Top - End - #607
    Pixie in the Playground

Regardless of our opinions, I think it is time we drop the subject entirely. I hope all this hasn't scared you off, Mercenary Pen

A small, preemptive, or not? hearty welcome to the community, from the resident crazy guy, Oddity.

May you be never lynched early or without good reason.
    Previous Wins
    Spoiler
    Show

Sharn, the Broken city - Serial Killer (neutral)
    The Demons - Vampire (neutral)
    Universal Smash Bros 4 - Luigi (mason)

Spoiler
    Show

Trophies (deserved or not)

8. - Top - End - #608
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Right. Because no one will ever lynch someone without reason. Or early.

*coughdayonecough*
    Avatar by whatever Zjoot became.
    Will take suggested phrases in sig. PM with ideas
    Am I missed in my absence?

9. - Top - End - #609
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Right. Because no one will ever lynch someone without reason. Or early.

*coughdayonecough*
    Previous Wins
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Regardless of our opinions, I think it is time we drop the subject entirely. I hope all this hasn't scared you off, Mercenary Pen

A small, preemptive, or not? hearty welcome to the community, from the resident crazy guy, Oddity.

Hey, y u welcome him but no welcome me?
    I demand a cookie in compensation.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Don't you already have enough apples?

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    My bad, I didn't think I was here when you arrived.

A gruesome welcome from the unofficial self-proclaimed prodigy of insanity. May your wolf roles grant you many unbaned night kills.

Edit: Oddity eats teh cookies. All of them.
    Last edited by Oddity; 2012-02-07 at 10:39 PM.
    Previous Wins
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

@Seemingly random conversation about a particulary nasty recent event: Yes, well, morals are something that's important, yes, but, hey, we came here to have fun, right? Let's discuss something else. Like:

@ New users: YAY! Welcome, if you haven't been already, I'm sure you know the more the merrier . If you happen to contract lycanthrope during your stay, I hope you make the most of it.

@ Oddity eating teh cookies: Guess we'll have to ask Auntie Lupus to bake some more....

@ Imagined Inquiries in to my work: Oh, it's going good. I have the OP for the next Matrix WW ready to submit... ONCE writer's block is done, of course. But the story and rules fixes are all done, and stuff.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

Nope, you haven't scared me off yet- I fully understand that taking the bad with the good is part of anything worthwhile.

Resident crazy guy- well, we'll soon see about that. I may give you a run for your money at times... no, literally I will grab your virtual wallet and drop it over the edge of the thread.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Dwarf in the Playground

You’d learn much quicker from a complex game, so many nuances in people's play is lost in ‘simple’ games, at least that’s what we think. You really should join one (or both) of the games that are already recruiting they will be fun learning experiences, both for you and for people to learn about you.

Also, hi, we’re the resident multiple (though it might just be a guise for the internet), we also white text commonly.
    We love plural first person personal pronouns.
    Rejoice in the bosom of white text our child.
    Avatar by Gnomish Wanderer! (::) invisible cookies (::)

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, no matter what type of game you join, it'll take a few for you to really get the hang of things. I didn't really start to get stuff figured out until L.A Noir, which was my third or fourth game, and Seer's Academy, my sixth or seventh, is the first one that I'd say I've actually got things a good handle on things.

Oh, and welcome! I'm one of the resident RPers, of which there are quite a few. I do have a slight distinguishing characteristic, in that I tend to be fond of playing magical people, but nothing like &we's threes, so... I don't really have a cool title.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TBFProgrammer View Post

Nice summation, you even added a fitting second part to it!

But yeah, if we just can let the problem go the game can proceed. I mean, the only thing it did to me personally was to give my win a slightly bad after taste - you're the ones who have to live with the potential consequences.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Nope, you haven't scared me off yet- I fully understand that taking the bad with the good is part of anything worthwhile.

Resident crazy guy- well, we'll soon see about that. I may give you a run for your money at times... no, literally I will grab your virtual wallet and drop it over the edge of the thread.
    If this guy had a virtual wallet, that is But, I accept your challenge Sir-may-be-as-insane-as-he-who-speaks-about-myself-in-third-person-occasionally-because-to-do-it-every-time-would-be-way-too-regular.

oh and yea, &we is definitely partially insane, or pretending to be. Classic use of fourth person going on (watch out for them)

Edit: Although, it is a common symptom of RP'ers
    Last edited by Oddity; 2012-02-08 at 02:43 AM.
    Previous Wins
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #619
    Pixie in the Playground

Hrrm.... I don't really get what there is to learn about WW... really, there's the rules, and well... it works like the rules, and if your new and unsure who to target with your power/powers then target well known people like Murska and FC, see, real simple. (I'm totally not suggesting here that we should all dogpile Murska day one.)

(Also, note; My reaction to someone saying/doing something wrong is not to tell them what they did is wrong, it's to tell them that what they did wasn't right, not wrong, it had the right thought, but they just didn't really properly understand what exactly they were doing, and made a mistake, if one of you who is criticizing him hasn't ever made a mistake, then I'll listen, but I supremely doubt that... Also Also, This was supposed to be dropped already.)
    And with each passing moment the mystery will become more tantalizing. Your imagination will inflame, but so will your frustration. Never knowing, only guessing, what could possibly be inside that box.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

Wolf/town tells in posting style, hiding your role - without, say, doing it so well as Town that the rest of the village thinks you're a wolf (*coughClassiccough* ) -, analyzing voting patterns... Those take a bit to get good at.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Dwarf in the Playground

And for those that are highly analytical, there’s meta-gamer-y stuff like learning who people normally target when they are wolves/seer’s/baner’s/other role’s/All That Jazz, though that is only really helpful after many, many games with that group of people.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

If this guy had a virtual wallet, that is But, I accept your challenge Sir-may-be-as-insane-as-he-who-speaks-about-myself-in-third-person-occasionally-because-to-do-it-every-time-would-be-way-too-regular.

oh and yea, &we is definitely partially insane, or pretending to be. Classic use of fourth person going on (watch out for them)

Edit: Although, it is a common symptom of RP'ers
    I don't do fourth person so much, but I manage RL/Forum crossover space on occasion (he says, his real life hair blowing in the virtual wind of the thread).

And since you seem to lack a virtual wallet... *drops virtual bank notes over the side of the thread, towards the virtual inferno surrounding the thread on all sides*
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by usourselves&we View Post
    when they are wolves/seers

/baners/

other roles

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is this the Grammar Police up in arm's again?

Did you see what I did there

25. - Top - End - #625
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Now, whats all this that you guy's are getting testy about?
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

26. - Top - End - #626
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, I'll attest to that it will take a while to get into the swing of things. I think I'm just now starting to understand things around here and I've been in... Can't quite remember how many games, but more than a few. Take some time, get to meet the other residents, be nice, all that stuff. One of the more interesting sub-forums I've been on.
    Titles, Achievements, and Quotes of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Infernal Teamworker - City of Shadows Wondering if anyone is still checking this...
    Ruler of the City - City of Shadows Hello? Anyone there? PM me if you want the Color Code.
    The Fallen Chessmaster - Center WW I don't really see a reason to get rid of this.
    The Manipulative/The Opaque - Demons WW Its kind of neat.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RuneboundShade View Post
    ...if one of you who is criticizing him hasn't ever made a mistake, then I'll listen, but I supremely doubt that...
    I think the problem here is that you won't listen to anyone except the most holy, regardless of the strength of their arguments. At least if we take you on your words above.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneboundShade View Post
    My reaction to someone saying/doing something wrong is not to tell them what they did is wrong, it's to tell them that what they did wasn't right, not wrong, it had the right thought, but they just didn't really properly understand what exactly they were doing, and made a mistake...
    By admitting that you thought that what they did was wrong, but telling them the cotton-wrapped version of your thoughts you just deceive them, lulling them into a belief that you thought that their actions were less wrong than you (personally) actually thought. You might do it out of kindness, but you still lie to them.

I'm probably just annoyed that you, in a way, are belittling the wrongdoers by trying to refuse them your honest reaction to their actions.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Dwarf in the Playground

Please can we just let it be. I only caught wind of this at the end and I'm already sick of it. Arguing the toss doesn't change what's done. Water under the bridge and all that, let's just get on and play some WW.

On that note I'm flattered you've called me out by name Ramsus but, due to moving house at the minute, I'm bearly keeping up with assassins. One as complicated as Meta looks would be wasted on me and I'd do it a disservice right now. I need simple games for simple minded folk like me at present.
    Last edited by Qwaz; 2012-02-08 at 05:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    Mad and other “thing’s”
    We were awake all night, don’t worry we are plenty mad at ourselves.
    Our plan to drive Sapo insane is going amazingly.
    But at least we know the one to beat up, you will never find that satisfaction.
    Also we’ve cringed at some of your posts so we are about even when it comes to discomfort.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. It does take 2-3 games, 4 even, to learn the strategies. Once you learn some strategy, though, is the perfect time to run your own, before you settle into just one or two specific strategies. That will let you analyze at a broad, easy, "OK, so THAT'S how that works" kind of perspective, without as much bias as being town or wolf would give. Narrators are usually better players, it seems. OK, they die more frequently, but they also win more frequently.

It will also give you more time to observe other players for meta-strategies. The only trouble is coming up with original works. Some more than others. Oh, yes. And look at my example and DON'T follow it: I recommend you get a co-narrator for your first game, WHEN you narrate one, rather than run it on your own.

Oh, yes. If &we is the resident multi, and oddity sees himself as the resident loon, I'm the resident... uh... well, actually, I'm still fairly new, got about 7 games under my belt, tops, although I've ran one and have plans for more. But if I'm a resident-anything, it's either hobo, leech, or brain-sucker.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.