New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 23383940414243444546474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1548
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Q393
    Is it possible to create/purchase Small Size Wondrous Items? ex. a small rod/robe etc.

Q394
    If you can would they receive the weight reduction of a weapon/armor/item that would normally receive one?

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A393
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Size and Magic Items

When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn't be an issue. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they adjust themselves magically to the wearer. Size should not keep characters of various kinds from using magic items.

There may be rare exceptions, especially with race-specific items.

Armor and Weapon Sizes: Armor and weapons that are found at random have a 30% chance of being small (01–30), a 60% chance of being Medium (31–90), and a 10% chance of being any other size (91–100).
    A394
    Yes.
    Eg. a large magic longsword has no different weight from a large longsword, 8 lbs, but when a small character uses it, it changes to a small magic longsword with the weight of a regular small longsword, 2 lbs.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2012-12-25 at 07:52 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

Q:395: If you use wild shape or beast shape 1-4 to transform into an animal, do you count as the animal type for things like favored enemies or animal growth?
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q396:
    Can a Magus with Animate Weapon magus arcana have more than 1 animated weapon at the same time?

Q397:
    What action is Athame Surge? If standard, can it be used with Spell Combat? It uses a spell slot to enchant the weapon, so I assume it is exactly like casting a spell and can be used with Spell Combat.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    A394
    Yes.
    Eg. a large magic longsword has no different weight from a large longsword, 8 lbs, but when a small character uses it, it changes to a small magic longsword with the weight of a regular small longsword, 2 lbs.
    A394 Actually, no, magic weapons and armor don't resize. You quoted the section that says what size the weapon or armor comes in.

A395 Polymorph magic or effects never change your type. A wildshaped druid is still their type regardless of what shape they take.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A396
    Yes.

A397
    A standard action. Since it doesn't say in the arcana description, it defaults to the action used for any Special Ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Use Special Ability
    Using a special ability is usually a standard action, but whether it is a standard action, a full-round action, or not an action at all is defined by the ability.
    Using a Su ability is not the same as casting a spell, and by RAW can't be used with Spell Combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spell Combat
    As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty).
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2012-12-26 at 10:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q #398: How does empower spell interact with the Summon Monster Line?

I've always played it as empowering all of the aspects of the summon but recently I've seen that my interpretation isn't a common one. So I figured I'd hear back from the RAW crowd.

My thoughts were that since the damage, hp, et all are variable numerical effects of the summon spell they would be enhanced. Especially since the summon can be targeted with dispel magic to get rid of the critter.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A398
    In short: it doesn't. Edit: Except in the case of the post below this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Subschools
    Summoning: a summoning spell instantly brings a creature or object to a place you designate.
    That's all the spell does: pick a creature that already exists and bring it to you. HP, damage, etc. are not determined by the Summon Monster X spells, so they are not affected by Empower Spell.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2012-12-28 at 09:07 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A398 correction

If you use the option to summon multiple creatures from a lower level list, Empower Spell will affect how many creatures you summon. The stats of each creature are not an effect of the spell, however, and Empower is useless if you're only summoning a single monster from the highest possible list.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 399 How could a sorcerer cast spells with costly components without needing the components (i.e. Create Demiplane, Permanency, Wish, etc.)?

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q400
    Is it possible to add metamagic effects to a wand/scroll with a rod?

Q401
    Similarly, is it possible to create a wand or scroll with metamagic-ed spells (such as a wand of extended magic armor).

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

Q402

The answer to this is definitely somewhere, but I can't seem to find it... In certain spells and effects that target an item it is said that the item can make a saving throw. How does this work? How does an item make a saving throw?
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Ettin in the Playground

A 400 Metamagic rods effect spells as you cast them, they're effectively an extra component for your spell. Scrolls and wands are set when they're created, thus they aren't compatible with metamagic rods.

A 401 Yes, it just costs you as the effectively higher level spell. Your wand of Extended Mage Armor is effectively a 2nd level wand, so it's costed as such.

A 402 Items can make saves if (a) they're attended by a creature, in which case it uses the creature's saves or (b) it's a magic item, in which case they use the better of 2+ half it's CL or, if attended, the creature's saves. If neither of those conditions are met, it autofails the save. That's all in Chapter 7 of the CRB, under Breaking and Entering.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    A 402 Items can make saves if (a) they're attended by a creature, in which case it uses the creature's saves or (b) it's a magic item, in which case they use the better of 2+ half it's CL or, if attended, the creature's saves. If neither of those conditions are met, it autofails the save. That's all in Chapter 7 of the CRB, under Breaking and Entering.
    Much obliged. Love your Gunslinger's Handbook, by the way.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A399 partial
    I don't know that there's a simple RAW answer to this. The easiest way would be to get those spells as Spell-like Abilities or magic items.
    2 quick and dirty options:
    1. Grab the feat "Ignore Material Components" from the 3.0 ELH. You have to have 25 ranks in Spellcraft though.
    2. Use Planar Binding to call an Efreeti, win a Charisma check to get it to give you 3 wishes in exchange for nothing. Wish for a scroll or staff of whatever spell you want to cast.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2012-12-30 at 12:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ettin in the Playground

A399 additional

Note that option #1 isn't valid, since that's a 3.0 book and this is for Pathfinder. So using that book requires your GM to houserule it in.

Beyond that, I agree with rock that this isn't a simple question. Even his option 2 (which is a valid method) will generate debate. This is probably a good topic for its own thread. Just tag the title of the thread with "[PF]" (without the quotes) and be sure to mention what sources - Pathfinder or otherwise - are allowed in your game.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Orc in the Playground

Q 403A

The Rakshasa Bolldline gives you an Alter Self power at 15th level, but it says you may change into ANY Humanoid at will.

Since the bloodline power doesn't specify size, does this mean you can Alter Self into a Large or Huge humanoid?

You know, in case you need to impersonate a giant?

Q 403B

Since we're on the subject, it also doesn't say you can't look like a specific person, so could you use the power to look like a version of yourself?

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 399 additional

False Focus can let you ignore up to 100 gp worth of material components per spell. You still have to resort to debateably legal cheese or importations from previous editions in order to ignore higher than that, but it's a start.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ettin in the Playground

A 403a
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD, Alter Self spell description
    When you cast this spell, you can assume the form of any Small or Medium creature of the humanoid type. If the form you assume has any of the following abilities, you gain the listed ability: darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, scent, and swim 30 feet.

Small creature: If the form you take is that of a Small humanoid, you gain a +2 size bonus to your Dexterity.

Medium creature: If the form you take is that of a Medium humanoid, you gain a +2 size bonus to your Strength.
    (emphasis added)

So, no giants. Sorry.

A 403b

Alter self doesn't directly contain the limitation, but you have to trace back to find it. Alter self is in the Polymorph subschool. The rules for that subschool include this:

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Polymorph Subschool
    Unless otherwise noted, polymorph spells cannot be used to change into specific individuals. Although many of the fine details can be controlled, your appearance is always that of a generic member of that creature's type. Polymorph spells cannot be used to assume the form of a creature with a template or an advanced version of a creature.
    So no, you can't use alter self to look like yourself and gain the bonuses.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    A 403a

(emphasis added)

So, no giants. Sorry.

A 403b

Alter self doesn't directly contain the limitation, but you have to trace back to find it. Alter self is in the Polymorph subschool. The rules for that subschool include this:

So no, you can't use alter self to look like yourself and gain the bonuses.
    So even when you reach the capstone and become an animal headed Rakshasa, you can't use AS to look like your old self, I though it said that exact thing.

And basically Alter Self is worthless to you if you're Large?

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ettin in the Playground

A 403 additional

The bloodline capstone specifically overrides the general rule that you can't look like a specific creature.

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Rakshasa Bloodline
    Outsider (Su): At 20th level, your natural form becomes an animal-headed humanoid, like a true rakshasa. This does not affect your ability to speak or cast spells. You can use your alter self or other disguise and polymorph abilities to assume your original form or other forms when it suits you. You are forevermore treated as a native outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever your original type was) for the purpose of spells and other magical effects. Unlike other outsiders, you can still be brought back from the dead as if you were a member of your previous creature type. You gain DR 10/piercing.
    (emphasis added)

As for Large creatures using alter self - it's not useless, they just have to assume a Small or Medium sized creature. This isn't the place for discussing the relative merits of a spell, though. If you'd like to discuss how alter self works (or doesn't work) for a Large creature, that should be taken up in a new thread.
    John Ling

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 404 Are there any outsiders that possess Clone as a spell-like ability?

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ettin in the Playground

A 404 (maybe partial)

I have a spreadsheet with all of the monsters up to at least the release of Bestiary III. A quick filter / search of the spreadsheet does not reveal any creatures (outsider or otherwise) with clone as an SLA.

Maybe somebody can find one in another source, or maybe my spreadsheet is wrong. So before assuming my answer is complete, it may be best to wait and see if anybody else has anything to contribute to this question.

(Also, in an effort to cut off the question: I don't remember where I got the spreadsheet, so I can't help direct you to it.)
    John Ling

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Banned

Q 405
    Can a caster willingly lower the DC of a spell he casts? Lets say the Wizard has Int 18 and casts a 2nd level spell. The DC is 16. Can he lower that?

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ettin in the Playground

A 405

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Magic
    Saving Throw Difficulty Class: A saving throw against your spell has a DC of 10 + the level of the spell + your bonus for the relevant ability (Intelligence for a wizard, Charisma for a bard, paladin, or sorcerer, or Wisdom for a cleric, druid, or ranger). A spell's level can vary depending on your class. Always use the spell level applicable to your class.
    Nothing in that definition allows for you to lower the DC against your spells. So while the rules don't explicitly say yes or no, I'm going to say the answer to your question is no - unless you can find a way to temporarily reduce either the level of the spell (not likely) or your ability bonus.
    John Ling

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Orc in the Playground

Q 406

To learn or use an extract, an alchemist must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the extract’s level.
    Does this mean that an Alchemist with low int (backfire from Ragechemist, as an example) cannot consume his Extracts?

Q 407

The Infuse discovery allows non-alchemists to use your Extracts right? Kinda like turning them into Standard Action potions that last only for a single day?
    Last edited by Qc Storm; 2013-01-02 at 11:12 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 407

I'm so confused about the rules for using a scroll. If a wizard (level one) wants to use a scroll with a level 2 spell on it, she has to make a caster level check. I assume this means a d20 + caster level. What's the scroll's DC? Is it just the spell level (2) plus 1? So 3? That seems ludicrous.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A406
    No, he can still consume them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy
    An extract is “cast” by drinking it, as if imbibing a potion—the effects of an extract exactly duplicate the spell upon which its formula is based, save that the spell always affects only the drinking alchemist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potions
    Activation: Drinking a potion or applying an oil requires no special skill. The user merely removes the stopper and swallows the potion or smears on the oil.
    A407
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infusion
    An infused extract can be imbibed by a non-alchemist to gain its effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliceanned View Post
    Q 408

I'm so confused about the rules for using a scroll. If a wizard (level one) wants to use a scroll with a level 2 spell on it, she has to make a caster level check. I assume this means a d20 + caster level. What's the scroll's DC? Is it just the spell level (2) plus 1? So 3? That seems ludicrous.
    A408
    Yes, your result is d20+CL. The scroll's DC is it's creator's CL+1 (minimum 3+1 = 4 for a level 2 spell).
    Quote Originally Posted by Activate the Spell
    If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell's caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll's caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caster Level Check
    A Caster Level Check is made by rolling 1d20 and adding the caster level of the character or creature casting the spell.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 409

Can a character flank an enemy with a ranged weapon (and get sneak attack) if adjacent to the enemy?

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JimboG View Post
    Q 409

Can a character flank an enemy with a ranged weapon (and get sneak attack) if adjacent to the enemy?
    A 409

Bows do not threaten under normal circumstances, so flanking or providing flank bonuses to others is impossible. Sneak attacking with a bow is much safer, but also harder. It's possible during surprise rounds and first rounds however, and with the assistance of spells.

There are ways to threaten with bows, though I am not an expert in PF. Arrowmind in 3.5 worked.