1. - Top - End - #1501
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Pixie in the Playground

Q439 When taking the "Rapid Reload" feat for firearms, does one take it for one-handed/two-handed firearms or is it more specific?
    Last edited by AfroDyyd; 2013-01-23 at 07:54 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Ettin in the Playground

A 439 (please number your questions)

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Ultimate Combat, Feats
    Choose a ... single type of one-handed or two-handed firearm that you are proficient with. You can reload such a weapon quickly.
    (editing mine)

You need to select the feat for each weapon. Buckler gun, pepperbox, pistol etc. The feat only applies to the weapons you select.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 440

If a creature has multiple attacks in a Full Round Attack that trigger the "Grab" ability and it succeeds its Combat Maneuver to Grab on its first attack, is it deprived of its remaining attacks for that round, or may it continue its Full Round Attack?

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Titan in the Playground

Q441
    Can you use Skill Mastery with skills you can't ordinarily take 10 on, like UMD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #1506
    Ettin in the Playground

A 441

This is an old debate, that goes back to 3.5 rules actually. The answer depends entirely on what you believe takes precedent in the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Rogue Class, Skill Mastery
    Skill Mastery: The rogue becomes so confident in the use of certain skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions.

Upon gaining this ability, she selects a number of skills equal to 3 + her Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, she may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so. A rogue may gain this special ability multiple times, selecting additional skills for skill mastery to apply to each time.
    Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Skill Descriptions, Use Magic Device
    Special: You cannot take 10 with this skill. You can't aid another on Use Magic Device checks. Only the user of the item may attempt such a check.
    Nothing in either rule specifically overrides the other statement, so it's nebulous and an argument can be made either way.

A) If you believe UMD's "special" clause overrides skill mastery, then the answer to your question is No.

B) If you believe skill mastery's "even when you normally can't" clause overrides the UMD "special" clause, then the answer is Yes.

I personally rule the answer is Yes, because I view skill mastery as the more-specific rule and specific trumps general. Also, from a balance perspective I have no problems with a 10th level (or higher) character taking 10 on UMD. Such a character is likely to make the majority of his/her checks anyway, so allowing them to take 10 saves time at the table. If the player is willing to invest in a resource, I'm usually willing to allow it to work. And this is such a case.

That said, I do recognize the argument from the other side - that UMD doesn't allow take 10 at all, and skill mastery only overrides the "stress and distractions" reason.

For whatever it's worth, as I recall in 3.5 WotC ruled that you could not (though never published that anywhere other than the FAQ).

So, in short: there is no RAW answer, and a reasonable interpretation can be made either way; go with what is best for your table.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

7. - Top - End - #1507
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A440

It can continue its full-round attack, albeit at a -2 penalty for having the grappled condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by If You Are Grappled
    you can take any action that doesn’t require two hands to perform, such as cast a spell or make an attack or full attack with a light or one-handed weapon against any creature within your reach, including the creature that is grappling you.
    A441 Clarification

"Specific trumps general" is a rule for M:tG, another WotC game, and is not a rule for Pathfinder. Otherwise Zherog is correct.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-01-23 at 03:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1508
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    R437:
    And if you don't want to burn a feat, you can just buy a weapon that has been modified to be a channel foci.
    Last edited by RndmNumGen; 2013-01-24 at 11:03 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1509

MindFlayer

Q442
    I want to ride a gravity elemental obtained by improved familiar. Would permanent reduce person be sufficient to accomplish this?

Q443
    In this situation, is the only ride check I'm likely to need a DC 10 to fight while mounted?

Q444
    Assuming I find some sort of mount, can the mount use a move action, then delay using its other move action until after I cast a spell as a full round action? This is just an ad hoc flyby attack.

10. - Top - End - #1510
    Orc in the Playground

Q445

So being a vampire, if I take Bolstered Resilience, I don't have to worry about fatigue, correct?

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

11. - Top - End - #1511
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A442

It depends on your weight. There are no restrictions on riding a creature (eg. a colossal creature could ride a fine creature) save that the rider must be less than the mount's maximum load (or double that if the mount staggers). A small gravity elemental's maximum load is 97.5 lbs. If permanent reduce person puts your weight below that, then yes. Otherwise no.

A443

It depends on what you want to do. If all you do is sit on the elemental while it flies around (a ride), you don't need to make any check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride
    You can saddle, mount, ride, and dismount from a mount without a problem.
    For any other usage, see the Ride skill. Note you take a -5 penalty for attempting to ride a creature that is ill suited as a mount, and will take another -5 penalty if you don't have a saddle for it.

A444

Yes, since by definition "move action" is an action. However, note that your mount's initiative is set to the point that it delayed to, so for the rest of the encounter its turn comes after yours, so it can only be done once (barring exceptions like the mount activating a Belt of Battle).
    Quote Originally Posted by Delay
    By choosing to delay, you take no action and then act normally on whatever initiative count you decide to act. When you delay, you voluntarily reduce your own initiative result for the rest of the combat. When your new, lower initiative count comes up later in the same round, you can act normally.
    A445

Correct. Undead are immune to fatigue, and Bolstered Resilience does not counteract that.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-01-26 at 09:09 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1512
    Ettin in the Playground

A 444 continued I'm not quite sure why you'd have to do it that way, there's already a section in Mounted Combat that does that, Casting Spells while Mounted. If you want your mount to move before and after, you have to make a concentration check of 10+spell level if your mount double moves, 15+spell level if it runs and you cast at the point it's moved double its speed.

In any case, you can't Delay midaction, you have to choose to Delay at the beginning of your turn.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #1513
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q446
    When your charisma modifier gets dropped, do you immediately lose channels per day, or only after resting?

Q447
    Can a carpet of flying be hasted?
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2013-01-27 at 04:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

14. - Top - End - #1514

MindFlayer

Q448
    Are the archetypes crossblooded and false priest compatible?

15. - Top - End - #1515
    Ettin in the Playground

A 446 Only if your current amount of uses is in excess of your new maximum number.

A 447 Haste targets creatures, a carpet of flying isn't a creature, so no.

A 448 Crossblooded doesn't change or remove anything that False Priest does, so you can be a Crossblooded False Priest.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2013-01-27 at 06:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

16. - Top - End - #1516
    Firbolg in the Playground

R448-False Priest
    Crossblooded will get you some cool archetype stuff, but most of that won't really apply to False Priest. Due to the way False Channel works (swapping one of your spell slots instead of the item, at 1 spell level higher than normal) it means you really don't want to impact your spell level progression, which Crossblooded will do. Can I ask what two bloodlines you will be taking to go with it?
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

17. - Top - End - #1517
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 449 Do rays crit? More to the point, can Enervation crit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

18. - Top - End - #1518
    Ettin in the Playground

A 449a

Yes, ray spells can score a critical hit.

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Magic
    If a ray spell deals damage, you can score a critical hit just as if it were a weapon. A ray spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit.
    A 449b

My reading of the rules would be that enervation cannot score a critical hit because it doesn't inflict damage; it inflicts negative levels.
    John Ling

19. - Top - End - #1519
    Titan in the Playground

Q450

Does an Alchemist who drinks a Cognatogen increase their bombs per day?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

20. - Top - End - #1520
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A450

Yes, the +4 bonus gives you two temporary extra bombs. If the bonus goes away before you use all your bombs per day, you lose that benefit.

Eg. You have 12 Int, so you can use 1 bomb. You drink a cognatogen for +4 Int, and now you can use 3 bombs. You use 1 bomb. The benefits of the cognatogen go away. Now you can use 0 more bombs, because your max is currently 1 bomb/day and you have already used one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb
    An alchemist can use a number of bombs each day equal to his class level + his Intelligence modifier.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-01-31 at 01:02 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1521
    Ogre in the Playground

Q451

How, exactly does Spell Storing work? There are two interpretations that are going around within my group, the first of which says

Quote Originally Posted by Player A
    1) Make a weapon attack.
    2) If it hits, cast the spell.
    2a) It doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity.
    2b) If the spell has a range of touch, it automatically hits.
    2c) If it is not a touch spell, it requires its own attack roll.
    3) The spell threatens to crit if and only if the weapon's attack roll was a natural 20, and confirms the crit if the weapon attack crits.
    And the second opinion, which says
    Quote Originally Posted by Player B
    1) Make a weapon attack.
    2) Cast the spell as normal, except for that it's a free action.
    2a) It does provoke an attack of opportunity.
    2b) If it would require an attack roll, it has its own.
    3) The spell crits if its own attack roll is a 20 and would be confirmed, as normal.
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

22. - Top - End - #1522

A451

Anytime the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires.
    It's the weapon doing the casting, therefore no AoO on the character. I'd also think the spell is probably intended to behave as if cast by whoever put it on the weapon in the first place. So spells follow their own mechanics once discharged : those with save DCs auto-hit and must overcome the target's SR and saving throw.

... As for rays and touch attacks? No idea.

P.S.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any self-respecting spell storing weapon user will use it as a healing shiv at least once. I hope you will uphold this noble tradition.
    Last edited by Raven777; 2013-01-31 at 05:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

23. - Top - End - #1523
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A451 Basically what player A says, but there are several key points you might have missed.
    the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action
    The weapon casts, not the wielder! So, no provoking by the wielder.
    Also following the logic that casting a swift action spell does not provoke, neither do free action spells, since the time consumed by those types of action is specifically stated somewhere to be kind of equal.

A spell storing weapon allows a spellcaster to store a single targeted spell of up to 3rd level in the weapon.
    A quick check of the usual suspects returned that ray spells (specifically acid arrow and scorching ray) do not have a target.
    If (and that is at least a medium sized "if") this is consistent throughout Pathfinder, step 2c) of player A never comes into play

All emphasis in the quotes mine

Edit: half-ninja'd. But the thing about non-touch spells that require an attack is still valid as far as I can see right now
    Last edited by MrLemon; 2013-01-31 at 05:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1524
    Ogre in the Playground

Q451, clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    So spells follow their own mechanics once discharged : those with save DCs auto-hit and must overcome the target's SR and saving throw.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLemon View Post
    Basically what player A says, but there are several key points you might have missed.

(snip about attacks of opportunity)

A quick check of the usual suspects returned that ray spells (specifically acid arrow and scorching ray) do not have a target.
    If (and that is at least a medium sized "if") this is consistent throughout Pathfinder, step 2c) of player A never comes into play

All emphasis in the quotes mine

Edit: half-ninja'd. But the thing about non-touch spells that require an attack is still valid as far as I can see right now
    So, just to be completely clear- if I store Shocking Grasp, Vampiric Touch, CLW, or another touch spell in my weapon, those spells do not require their own attack roll, but hit automatically, and threaten to crit on a 20?
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

25. - Top - End - #1525
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Q 451

On the line listing a monster's atttacks, how many do they get per round: all, if each attack is seperated only by a comma? One of those? Based on BAB?

(Basic question, I know. In my defense: I usually use NPCs as opponents in my games because I find it helps create a more coherent story. IDK Monstars!)
    Words and stuff!

26. - Top - End - #1526
    Ettin in the Playground

A 452

They get all if they can take a full attack, the first if they can only take a standard action.
    John Ling

27. - Top - End - #1527
    Titan in the Playground

Q453

Many spells in Pathfinder give characters a Reflex save to avoid their effect, for example Create Pit and Wall of Stone. In both cases, the spell creates a physical terrain feature, which an opponent can easily be caught in the middle of. For example, suppose someone is caught in the following position by Wall of Stone:

WWWWW
    W W
    W PC W
    W W
    WWWWW

Where PC is the player character, W is the wall. The character gets a save to avoid being trapped by the wall, but what happens if the save succeeds? Do they remain in that space, but somehow not trapped (able to walk through the walls or the like)? Or do they get a free move action to leave the area? If so, where do they end up, and does it use the move action on their next turn? Can anyone point me to the part of the rules that discusses this?

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1528

Q454

Is there an attack roll penalty for fighting solely with your off-hand? I don't mean two-weapon fighting, but simply fighting with your off-hand because your on-hand is indisposed (tied behind your back, broken, cut off. Those kinds of things).

29. - Top - End - #1529
    Ettin in the Playground

A 453 Strictly speaking, you can't create a wall of stone where a creature is, you can trap them with one, for which they have a save to not be trapped. What a successful save does is kinda unclear but I assume would generally get them out of the area at no action cost to them. It's kinda DM fiat at that point, though.

A 454 There isn't such a thing as off-handedness in PF or in 3.X since 3.0 had Ambidexterity. So no, there is no penalty for attacking or doing anything with your off-hand, other than perhaps RP ones.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

30. - Top - End - #1530
    Titan in the Playground

Q455

Darkfire Adept gets:
    Sacred Summons

A Darkfire Adept gains Sacred Summons as a bonus feat at 1st level, as if she had an evil aura (regardless of her actual alignment).
    Sacred Summons is worded as such:
    Prerequisites: Aura class feature, ability to cast summon monster.

Benefit: When using summon monster to summon creatures whose alignment subtype or subtypes exactly match your aura, you may cast the spell as a standard action instead of with a casting time of 1 round.
    While Sacred Summons requires an Aura, its Benefit does not depend on the sort of Aura used to obtain it, but rather on the alignment of the caster. Does Darkfire Adept make the caster count as evil regardless of actual alignment for the purposes of Sacred Summons? If so, what is the other component, or does the caster effectively count as whichever evil alignment is most beneficial?

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show