New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #806 - The Discussion Thread

Personally I loved Elan's take on Holy Word.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    So what does a Masked Debt Gourd do? Inquiring minds want to know..
    OK, here's a Masked Debt Gourd, used to mask (conceal) your gold against debt collectors ...
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question: where was Nale hidding "his new wand" the whole time? itīs a little bigger than, letīs say, Ianīs healing potion
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

4. - Top - End - #64
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    Question: where was Nale hidding "his new wand" the whole time? itīs a little bigger than, letīs say, Ianīs healing potion
    The same place Elan is hiding his rapier. They are twins, after all.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can't wait to see what happens next here. This could get very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The same place Elan is hiding his rapier. They are twins, after all.
    I thought it was the same kind of place that Elan was hiding Haley. But his rapier makes sense too.
    Last edited by CloakedDancer; 2011-09-19 at 07:22 PM.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

...If only Durkon had gotten a Massive Death Worg.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2011-09-19 at 07:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Don't be utterly ridiculous. The fact that Nale owns a relatively inexpensive magic item is not even remotely surprising or unexpected, given his level, wealth, and the fact that last time we saw him, he said he was going to shop for magic items. (Second to last panel.)

How exactly do you expect me to foreshadow each and every magic item that they have? Did you want me to dedicate an entire strip to Nale standing around saying, "Look at my new wand!"?

Come on. Surprises are not Deus (or Diabolous) Ex Machinas, they're surprises. Nothing more or less. If you want to know every little thing that is going to happen before it happens, go read another comic.
    A recurring villain getting new tricks is par the course is any work. I think he meant that Durkon's counterspell, which could have done a lot against Nale/Sabine (depending on whether they keep using Death Wardable spells) failed because Thor and his angels couldn't work out what Durkon said. Which I admit, is fairly out of left field - DO clerics have a failure chance on spells, or was this purely rule of drama/funny? I don't play D&D...

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkroot View Post
    A recurring villain getting new tricks is par the course is any work. I think he meant that Durkon's counterspell, which could have done a lot against Nale/Sabine (depending on whether they keep using Death Wardable spells) failed because Thor and his angels couldn't work out what Durkon said. Which I admit, is fairly out of left field - DO clerics have a failure chance on spells, or was this purely rule of drama/funny? I don't play D&D...
    They generally do not, but since this was a spell that Durkon had researched, and in this world is fairly obscure, there could have been a ruling saying it has a failure chance.

It's not like we haven't seen Thor giving the wrong spells due to misunderstandings before.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

Erm, forgot my thoughts on the strip.

Cleric's Feather Fall is awesome, and I must find an excuse to use it.
    And I'm really hoping to see a Masked Debt Gourd show up in the near future. Although that this is the first thing that springs to Thor's mind makes me wonder about his worshippers...

10. - Top - End - #70

"I know right!"

Great strip.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    They generally do not, but since this was a spell that Durkon had researched, and in this world is fairly obscure, there could have been a ruling saying it has a failure chance.

It's not like we haven't seen Thor giving the wrong spells due to misunderstandings before.
    As far back as 007, which is almost as far back as you can go.

For Elysium's sake, folks - these are JOKES!
    Last edited by rewinn; 2011-09-19 at 07:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

It's not really left field. Durkon failing to cast the spell was first seen in #750.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    It's not really left field. Durkon failing to cast the spell was first seen in #750.
    One might even consider this a clever/funny way of showing Spell Research Failure.

And the idea that something not in Core/SRD has to be researched properly, even if it is a Cleric spell, isn't that uncommon of an idea.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2011-09-19 at 07:48 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

14. - Top - End - #74

PirateWench

Doesn't Durkon have a spell to reduce level draining effects? Or is he now too low a level to use it?

Also is it just me or is the Giant being unusually communicative of late?
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Don't be utterly ridiculous. The fact that Nale owns a relatively inexpensive magic item is not even remotely surprising or unexpected, given his level, wealth, and the fact that last time we saw him, he said he was going to shop for magic items. (Second to last panel.)

How exactly do you expect me to foreshadow each and every magic item that they have? Did you want me to dedicate an entire strip to Nale standing around saying, "Look at my new wand!"?

Come on. Surprises are not Deus (or Diabolous) Ex Machinas, they're surprises. Nothing more or less. If you want to know every little thing that is going to happen before it happens, go read another comic.
    I wasn't arguing about the item itself. While it IS fairly acceptable (from a reader's point of view) for him to possess such a wand at that present nick of time, it rings a bit too much of "deus ex coming to the rescue!" if you pair it with Zz'ditri's similar hijink of just a few strips before. Every time they lose the upper hand "something happens", and the odds are rebalanced, in spite of actual, shown combat prowess.
    Which also kind of adds insult to injury seeing that Durkon's "surprise" got an arbitrary failure instead.

Anyways, just my 2 cents, not really important.
    Last edited by Mantine; 2011-09-19 at 07:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Durkon, you better have some restoration spells/scrolls at hand, or you are boned...

... unless your new friend Malak happens to be at hand.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2011-09-19 at 07:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Well, if that's the case, it's already been shown to be a work-in-progress that isn't ready yet. The exact cause of why it isn't ready is irrelevant to the plot. I could have just as easily had Durkon say, "Gosh, if only I had finished researchin' me spell in time!" if my only goal was to keep him from using it. I did it this way because it gave me a punchline.

Really, this idea some people have that I'm obligated to give my characters a fair fight at all times is bizarre, and I can only assume that it comes from people transposing their experiences in D&D to the strip, and treating me like I'm some kind of unfair DM. It's a piece of fiction, not a game. "Fairness" is not required or to be expected at any point. "Fairness" is dull.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Mantine View Post
    Every time they lose the upper hand "something happens", and the odds are rebalanced, in spite of actual, shown combat prowess.
    This is generally how battles work in drama. Only in roleplaying games are they one-sided foregone conclusions which inevitably grind toward their predestined ending of 20% resource expenditure.
    Rich Burlew

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, if that's the case, it's already been shown to be a work-in-progress that isn't ready yet. The exact cause of why it isn't ready is irrelevant to the plot. I could have just as easily had Durkon say, "Gosh, if only I had finished researchin' me spell in time!" if my only goal was to keep him from using it. I did it this way because it gave me a punchline.

Really, this idea some people have that I'm obligated to give my characters a fair fight at all times is bizarre, and I can only assume that it comes from people transposing their experiences in D&D to the strip, and treating me like I'm some kind of unfair DM. It's a piece of fiction, not a game. "Fairness" is not required or to be expected at any point. "Fairness" is dull.

If they're transposing they must have had much nicer DMs than I'm used to. "Unfair" was an essentially laughable concept in the last campaign I suffered through... Personally I think an encounter like this would have been a nice break really.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

20. - Top - End - #80
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

This is generally how battles work in drama. Only in roleplaying games are they one-sided foregone conclusions which inevitably grind toward their predestined ending of 20% resource expenditure.
    Unpredictability and unfairness add spice to the drama, but in the end the result should be decided by the character's inner, own strenght.

Let's try to imagine how it'd have been if, say, Frodo and Sam reached the gates to Mordor only to find a conveniently-placed catapult aimed right into the volcano.
    Or if Sauron pulled out an "Attract-O-Matic Wand" which would pull the One Ring from everywhere in the world right into his hands.
    Or turn off the lava with a switch, for all that matters.

In my book, unfairness and unfunny tend to be quite close to each others, to be picked carefully.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Well said

I enjoyed this strip, but I'm sad that Durkon's second attempt to be of use to the party didn't work because of a miscommunication. His first attempt - healing Elan - went very well.

Come on Durkon - you will be the lynchpin of the OOTS victory!!

Also:

Unpredictability and unfairness add spice to the drama, but in the end the result should be decided by the character's inner, own strenght.

Let's try to imagine how it'd have been if, say, Frodo and Sam reached the gates to Mordor only to find a conveniently-placed catapult aimed right into the volcano.
    Or if Sauron pulled out an "Attract-O-Matic Wand" which would pull the One Ring from everywhere in the world right into his hands.

In my book, unfairness and unfunny tend to be quite close to each others, to be picked carefully.

I don't understand who this is not what just happened. Nale, being down a divine spellcaster, has in his possession a means of alleviating that shortcoming. He is being smart and using his own means - he is in essence thinking things through.
    Also - it seems that this is a minor item, not an epic one - it's not a celestial needle and thread for detangling the Snarl. Should the enemy not have useful items which create problems for a party?
    Last edited by CelestialMagpie; 2011-09-19 at 08:21 PM.
    Come, my friends,
    'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
    Push off, and sitting well in order smite
    The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
    To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
    ...Of all the western stars, until I die.
    - From "Ulysses" by Lord Alfred Tennyson

22. - Top - End - #82
    Colossus in the Playground

Thor really needs to invest in some better service.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Your complaint might have more merit if we were near the end of the story.

But, as far I know, we aren't.

ETA:

I also might, if I were you, choose a better literary example than, Lord of the "I can't figure out a way to end my story that rings* true to what I have already established, so I'll have a character slip and fall into lava while dancing about and end the main plot line that way" Rings.

* No pun intended.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2011-09-19 at 08:31 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

24. - Top - End - #84
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DreadArchon View Post
    Huh, I would think that restoring Haley would take priority, maybe he doesn't have anything memorized for that.
    Break Enchantment has a 1 minute casting time. Not the thing to cast under fire.
    One life to live...again, thanks to my cleric friend.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

biggrin Re: OOTS #806 - The Discussion Thread

NOOO I WANTED HALEY BACK!
    Great comic, Giant, so happy to see Durkon back in on the action! Although the mispronunciation punchline seemed a little contrived . . .
    Chairman of the Therkla Memorial Center for the Rehabilitation of Evil NPCs (One-eyed Goblins Welcome!)

"Let us remember her, not as a delusional sociopath with some form of abandonment/betrayal issues and a tendency towards narcissism, but as someone who loved, and who felt she was worthy of love." - deworde

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I also might, if I were you, choose a better literary example than, Lord of the "I can't figure out a way to end my story that rings* true to what I have already established, so I'll have a character slip and fall into lava while dancing about and end the main plot line that way" Rings.

* No pun intended.
    That's what I wanted to say, but you beat me to it.

Why is it that so many people who read OOTS get upset every time something they didn't expect happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

She almost certainly had to research them specifically, though. For simplicity, I usually assume that all spells in the SRD are "common knowledge" and everything else is "obscure/non-existent" unless someone has researched it. That's because the bulk of the reading audience won't know about each and every spell in 3.5, but most of them have the Player's Handbook.

Plus, I didn't know Mass Death Ward was an actual spell until right this moment. I was merely extrapolating, I never checked any of the books for it. But it doesn't really affect the story either way, except for that I was pegging it at 7th level instead of 8th.
    So that's why the spell fizzled!

Cheers, JohnH / Wanda
    Last edited by Wanda V'Orcus; 2011-09-19 at 08:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

DrowGuy

That sounds like such a Vaarsuvius line.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffet View Post
    That's what I wanted to say, but you beat me to it.
    And the thing is, I like LotR. But, man, I can only imagine what would happen if it came out today. Especially in serial format.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ferg View Post
    Break Enchantment has a 1 minute casting time. Not the thing to cast under fire.
    That didn't stop Zz'dtri in 800.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand