New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #806 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Why I'm spoilering a 60+ year old story, I have no idea, but here goes and simplfying hugely to avoid a lot of mess...

Spoiler
    Show
    I am referring to the fact that when Frodo got to Mt. Doom, Tolkein found that he simply could not have Frodo dump the ring into the lava because he made such a big deal about temptation.

Thus when writing his outline he came up with the idea of Hopping Happy Gollum plunging to his death when he failed his balance check.

It has been a bit of a source of commentary ever since it came out, you know.

Now mind, I still like the story. A lot, actually. But, really now.
    Ah, kids today. I read LOTR before I knew the internet consisted of anything but AOL.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fair enough, I suppose. I thought it still worked as a natural outgrowth of what had gone before- Gollum's primary skill set seems to be in climbing sheer walls, and his slip shows how his desire for the ring robs him of something that had been second nature to him all this time.

At the same time, Frodo is not as corrupted as Gollum was- rather than killing anyone who tries to take the ring, he lets Gollum live despite it being against his own best interests. This leads to him surviving the episode, ironically because Gollum tries to turn on him in the end. The Mount Doom chapter is a lot more about the self-destructive nature of corruption and the possibility of redemption than any arbitrary plot-wrapping-up would be.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J's View Post
    Yes, but in the thread for that strip the giant said he didn't look up the cast time. He knows what it is now.
    And if you really want an in-universe explanation as well, Zz'dtri has been known to use house-ruled spells.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

again with the wrong spells lol. Thor needs better assistants.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What with all the negative levels being passed around, I'm starting to think the Giant wants to tell a lower level story. We currently have the Order pegged at around 11-12th, right?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Waltz on over to the Geekery thread. They're estimated to be somewhere in the mid-teens.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    again with the wrong spells lol.

Care to elaborate, please?

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    Thor needs better assistants.
    If you're talking 'bout the angels, I agree. But we all know that often Thor don't pay too much attention to things around Him...
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2011-09-20 at 01:53 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone else find it odd that Durkon actually pronounced all 3 words of the spell correctly (or at least they're transcribed for us without an accent)? I get the fact that he has a heavy Scottish/Dwarvish accent, but as Belkar said long ago
    "He can pronounce 'stratosphere', but not 'the'?"

As for the negative levels, I think it's mostly that they happen to be one of the best ways to tackle a high level caster since you simultaneously deal damage and remove their strongest spells. Plus, there are relatively few ways to block negative energy, since turning into an undead doesn't really count and many others such as spell turning are short duration or of limited effect.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

HAH! I read this one before making coffee, so the keyboard is safe.

Cleric Feather Fall, genius!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DougTheHead View Post
    Ah, kids today. I read LOTR before I knew the internet consisted of anything but AOL.
    I'm not sure who you are calling a "kid", but it ain't the person who can trace his online usage to GEnie and FidoNet.

<SPOILER DELETED>

Your point is taken as well, but, remember, I was mostly kidding with my comments. Perhaps alluding to the comments that have been made surrounding the <SPOILERS DELETED> might be an even better way of putting it.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2011-09-20 at 02:09 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #130
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by NENAD View Post
    What with all the negative levels being passed around, I'm starting to think the Giant wants to tell a lower level story. We currently have the Order pegged at around 11-12th, right?
    Given that Restoration is a spell easily within reach of even a level-drained Durkon, anything that happens here is likely to be temporary--unless Durkon himself is killed here, which is within the bounds of possibility (he's predicted to arrive back at his homeland posthumously, after all).

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

Geez, Giant got feisty yesterday, I can't recall the last time he made that many posts in a response thread. Guess all those complaints about the Linear Guild v. OotS matches finally got to him.

Great comic!
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy Words?
    baaaddddd pun.
    Good comic, though.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alright!
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    Geez, Giant got feisty yesterday, I can't recall the last time he made that many posts in a response thread. Guess all those complaints about the Linear Guild v. OotS matches finally got to him.

Great comic!
    Which is, in my opinion, not the proper way to treat a huge fanbase.

Mr Burlew, lean back and let the fans sort everything out themselves. If you jump in and explain every detail of how you composed the story and that you didn't look up this and that, you're really destroying the belief of several guys (like me), that you're the allknowing D&D+OotS god. If you don't lean back, the trolls will complain and nitpick until you revealed all your godly knowledge.

And yes, the update is great. As always.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Halfling in the Playground

yeeeeaaaah! Thor's back again!!!! I missed him so much, hope to see more of him. Durkon should discuss this matter via Commune :)
    sounds really like colon tumors.

I vote for "bagel" as holy word! :)

16. - Top - End - #136

WolfInSheepsClothing

My bet is still the same: Durkon goes to get Malack's help, who does not turn out to have some convoluted reason to not wipe the floor with the linear guild.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

And the thing is, I like LotR. But, man, I can only imagine what would happen if it came out today. Especially in serial format.
    Well, people would be whining about the fact that the Eagles couldn't fly the ringbearers straight to Mount Doom, there would be a long in-depth discussion about the gender of Celeborn and an even longer one about Boromir's alignment and Tolkien would cry himself to sleep every night after reading the Saurman/Wormtongue crack pairing.

Am I close?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Just checking in to say:

"cleric's feather fall", heh.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #139

again with the wrong spells lol. Thor needs better assistants.
    Yeah, of course, is the assistants´fault.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

20. - Top - End - #140

WolfInSheepsClothing

I am somewhat baffled at some of the commentary in this thread. A potent do-gooder does not manage to immediately decisively turn the tide and people are whining about deus ex machina. Honestly, were I the whiny sort, I would at most complain about the Giant being allowed to double post, which seems about as petty as any 'the story did not go how I thought! This is wrong!'.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am referring to the fact that when Frodo got to Mt. Doom, Tolkein found that he simply could not have Frodo dump the ring into the lava because he made such a big deal about temptation.

Thus when writing his outline he came up with the idea of Hopping Happy Gollum plunging to his death when he failed his balance check.

It has been a bit of a source of commentary ever since it came out, you know.

Now mind, I still like the story. A lot, actually. But, really now.
    That's a very good point you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    It's a pain in 3.5, too.
    If by pain you mean 'mild nuisance unless your characters have atrocious saves', sure.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the absolute funniest strips in a long time. Also, I think just about every time Thor shows up he is hilarious. Great strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantine View Post
    Unpredictability and unfairness add spice to the drama, but in the end the result should be decided by the character's inner, own strenght.

Let's try to imagine how it'd have been if, say, Frodo and Sam reached the gates to Mordor only to find a conveniently-placed catapult aimed right into the volcano.
    Or if Sauron pulled out an "Attract-O-Matic Wand" which would pull the One Ring from everywhere in the world right into his hands.
    Or turn off the lava with a switch, for all that matters.

In my book, unfairness and unfunny tend to be quite close to each others, to be picked carefully.
    Frodo arrives at the river, which suddenly and unexpectedly attacks the ringwraiths.

The battle at Helm's Deep is going great until Saruman suddenly and inexplicably destroys the wall with magic.

There are countless other examples. These things happen all the time in literature. What you are talking about happening at Mount Doom would of course be ridiculous, because it would be anticlimactic for the end of the trilogy. This isn't the end of the OOTS, however, just mid-battle, and is maintaining the tension and the suspense. The characters will show their inner strength plenty by adapting to these challenges. They haven't failed to have inner strength just because they can't predict everything that will happen. They are finite beings, after all, not gods. That makes them a lot more "human" and interesting then if they just kick straight ass all the time, and to be honest I like them more because of it.
    Last edited by ThePhantasm; 2011-09-20 at 04:56 AM.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

Uhm... I'm guessing that when someone disappoints Thor, goes to hell.
    If someone spits in his beer, goes to public relations office.

By the way, relax: the Linear Guild is still in the lower hand. Belkar and the now giant-strenghted cat are still around to help.

23. - Top - End - #143

HalflingPirate

I wonder what would happen if Belkar ends up being the one who "saves the day". Given that he is just pretending to be good, would a truly good act end up shifting his alignment? I'm starting to see Belkar act more and more neutral as of late. He seems to be getting more selfless as he does his act, but then later tries to justify it as selfish. I can't prove what I'm saying here, it's just a feeling I'm starting to get.

And let's not get into an argument over it. I know I could be wrong. It's just a thought.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Restoration, Durkon. All clerics need to have Restoration prepared. It will solve your level-drain problem quite nicely.
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2011-09-20 at 06:07 AM.
    I am... no one.

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Eh, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he just decides Break Enchantment has a 1 round casting time from now on. Wouldn't really make much of a difference. I wasn't saying un-stoning would be the best option, only that you shouldn't be surprised if he does manage it in a single round.
    Eh, I figure it's kinda like a forgotten bonus: now that we (and be we, I mean the Giant) know the actual casting time that will be the casting time from now on.
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Zorgophlats View Post
    I wonder what would happen if Belkar ends up being the one who "saves the day". Given that he is just pretending to be good, would a truly good act end up shifting his alignment?
    It wouldn't, considering all that he has done.
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

27. - Top - End - #147

Now that the Giant knows MDW is an actual spell, can we as-retcon-sume that it fizzled because it was too high of a level?
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

28. - Top - End - #148

Loved the "Clerical Feather Fall" spell. It reminds me of the "Clerical Sleep" spell that was regularly invoked in my own game. It required a specific material component - namely a mace to the back of the head.

29. - Top - End - #149

Poor Durkon, a loyal customer of a lousy service provider.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    Now that the Giant knows MDW is an actual spell, can we as-retcon-sume that it fizzled because it was too high of a level?
    Nah.

Don't think it matters.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!