New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony XXIV: Now About 200% Longer Than Firefly

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Zecora was out, it was too dangerous to go through the Everfree Forest during the night, especially with a sick foal in tow. Was there nopony else in Ponyville that could help them at this time of night?

Wait...how could she be so foalish? The answer had always been there.
    Perhaps it's just me, but it feels like the word foal is repeated too frequently here. Perhaps change the first one to tyke, child, or even the second to the simple word "foolish"? Or just ignore it, as I tend to pick out odd things that others never seem to care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

2. - Top - End - #842

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Haha, nice.

For people interested in the fanfics, Sepia Tock finished up and we have a new sequel to Legion of Gloom.
    Ah, I was planning on sharing these facts. You idea thief, you.

But yes, these were pretty good fics. Not perfect, but I enjoyed them greatly, and I felt they were pretty original.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ettin in the Playground

Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

How To Care For A Newborn Foal

Excerpt 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    “TWILIGHT! TWILIGHT!!”

Twilight groaned, and covered her head with her pillow. Trixie had only gotten up a couple of minutes ago, damn it! It was her turn anyways! One thing that the books had never warned her about was how often a parent would need to get up to tend to a newborne foal. Perhaps they didn’t mention it because the authors were afraid that nopony would ever become a parent knowing that. Sleep was becoming a luxury, and other, more enjoyable, nocturnal activites were rapidly becoming the dream of a previous life.

If she didn’t know better, she would have believed that Luna had done something to their daughter to ensure that Midnight would be a night pony. Perhaps they shouldn’t have named her after a time of night, too...

That brought them to tonight. MIdnight had been especially fussy, and both of them had been forced to be up with her multiple times already. Finally, finally, it seemed like she had settled down for a couple of hours, only for the peace of the house to be broken by weak crying. But it was Trixie’s turn this time, and she wasn’t going to get up! She was probably only messing up the diaper again anyways. Twilight couldn’t figure out how somepony who was so good with knots, was so terrible with tying up a diaper.

Of course, Twilight had to admit she was jealous on how easily Trixie was able to get Midnight to eat. She supposed that she had a edge in that department anyways.

No, she would just roll over, and pretend to be asl-

“TWILIGHT, SHE’S SICK!”

It was amazing how quickly she could move. She was halfway to the nursery before she knew it. She threw open the door, any trace of sleepiness gone. She nearly tripped over Spike, who, of course, was still asleep. It was truly amazing how deep that dragon could sleep.

For a moment, she thought it was Trixie who was the one who was sick. Trixie was paler than Twilight had ever seen her, save for the day of the reunion. The only thing breaking up that pallid look were her red-rimmed eyes. She looked frantically at Twilight, clutching the tiny bundle tightly against her protectively.

“S-she’s b-burning up...” Trixie choaked. Twilight swallowed down her own rising panic, and gently pushed in to check on her daughter. The fact that she wasn’t crying worried her...

She was shivering gently, and Midnight’s normally bright and vivid eyes were dulled with pain. Trembling, Twilight checked beneath her pelt, seeing that her skin was bright red, and her tiny horn was glowing, the occasional spark shooting forth from it. Midnight was letting out small little whimpers, her breathing was shallow, but stubborn. Twilight pressed a hoof gently against her forehead, and nearly recoiled. Trixie was right, Midnight was burning up, and it was a higher fever than she had been anticipating.

Those eyes looked up at her, already believing, knowing with all of her tiny heart, that her parents would be able to help her. To make the pain go away.

“W-What’s wrong with her? What do we do?” Trixie immediatly deferred to Twilight. This was not the time for pride, earned or not. Of the two of them, Twilight was most likely to know what to do, know how to help their weeks-old child...

“I...I...” Where was all the knowledge that she had prided herself in? Trixie and her daughter, they needed her, they were looking up at her, secure in the fact that she would think of something. Twilight Sparkle, most knowledagble pony in all of Equestria.

Nothing was coming to mind.

“I...don’t know...”

She never felt so helpless.

Excerpt 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It wasn't what Trixie wanted to hear.

"You don't know? You're telling me Princess Celestia's favorite student can beat an Ursa Minor, but she doesn't know what's wrong with her daughter?!" Trixie's voice raised, as she clutched Midnight tightly. She stared at Twilight accusingly, who flinched.

"I-I don't recognize the symptoms, Trixie! I mean, it's not that, I don't recognize this combination of symptoms! She's feverish, but not sweating! She's in pain, but I don't see where! I don't know why she's breathing so shallowly, there's nothing wrong with her chest, and I don't even know why her horn is glowing! A unicorn's horn shouldn't be glowing at all yet!" Twilight babbled out a defense, her own voice belying her panic. Why was she bringing up old wounds that hadn't been touched now of all times? It had been months since...

"You think you're Great and Powerful, but you can't do anything to help her!" Trixie yelled.

That was why.

Twilight rose up, and embraced Trixie. At the touch of her wife, Trixie immediately break down, sobbing against Twilight's chest. She kept a tight hold of Midnight, as if sheer contact could heal the pain their daughter was suffering.

"We have to help her...I can't lose her already..." Trixie whispered, and Twilight nuzzled at her comfortingly.

They were going to need help. But who? Ponyville didn't have a hospital, they had a clinic, and she doubted Nurse Redheart would be able to help much, she was an expert in Earth Pony health. Zecora was out, it was too dangerous to go through the Everfree Forest during the night, especially with a sick foal in tow. Was there nopony else in Ponyville that could help them at this time of night?

"The Princesses!" Quill and scroll were already in the air. "Celestia will be asleep, but Luna..."

"Luna?" Trixie said uncertainly, when Twilight trailed off. Twilight had been reminded of a certain event that had happened only weeks ago.

It was still odd to them, Luna's heartfelt, almost desperate, request to be Midnight's parent, her 'third mother'. But then, they had accepted, hadn't they? That made her that third parent. That made this not just a matter of getting a Princesses help. She deserved to know that her daughter was sick, too.

Luna,
    Midnight's sick, come quickly!
    -Twilight

Not her most eloquent letter, but perhaps her most to-the-point.

"SPIKE!" The small dragon began to stir his his basket. He wearily lifted a head, sleepy eyes blinking.

"Twilight? Why are you-MMPHH!" His eyes widened, as the scroll was stuffed into his mouth. Reflexively, that green flame licked out of his mouth, burning the scroll into magical ashes, which floated out the window, to it's destination. Spike glared at Twilight. "What was that for? Couldn't you have asked like a normal pony?"

"Spike, Midnight's sick, we need Luna as quickly as possible." Twilight quickly explained, and Spike craned his neck, looking at the tiny bundle in Trixie's hooves.

"Oh, geez, the kid's sick? What's wrong with her?" Twilight bit her lip at Spike's question.

"That's what we're trying to figure out." She replied, turning back to her daughter.

Just in time to see Midnight's horn to catch on fire.

Trixie yelped, as green flames licked out from Midnight's forehead, the tiny foal letting out a tiny little cry. Immediately the showmare's own horn flared, her magic creating a tiny raincloud, which rained down on mother and daughter. It did nothing to staunch the magical green flames.

Twilight rushed forwards, intent to do something, anything to help. Just inches away from them, her hoof outstretched, her magic at the ready, the fire flared brilliantly and consumed their daughter in an instant.

The magical ashes drifted out the window.

Holy bleeping bleep!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    kicks down thread door*

IDEAAAAAAA

So, yesterday I had the misfortune of stumbling upon some grimdarkier material for Scootaloo. Yeah, rookie mistake, I know, but it got me thinking about all the bad (tone-wise) fanon that's sprung up around her. A relatively tame example of this would be Scootaloo being an orphan, or homeless, or something like that. And that got me thinking, and you know what my conclusion was?

No.

Not with my dang ponies you don't.

So I got to some more thinking; if one of these horrifying/awful backstories can't account for her character, what can? After a while, I remembered the gene chart that somepony posted up a few days ago. And that's when it hit me;

Scootaloo's parents are non-pegasi.

It explains the lack of flight; without parents to teach her, she'd have a much harder time finding proper instruction. It explains why we never see her family; with such an energetic example of stereotypical pegasi enthusiasm for sports, speed, etc, there'd be a natural estrangement even if they were good parents. It explains her idolization of Rainbow Dash; with no strong pegasus figure in her life, she looks up to the swiftest and bestest one around.

Not sure what I'd do with this. Maybe a slice-of-life fic once I'm done with my current project. But this is pretty much fanon for me now. I want that little pegasus to have a decent family, and gosh darn it she gets one at least in my head.

NOTE: Yes, I realize "family isn't around" is a poor example. But Apple Bloom has Applejack, Sweetie Belle has Rarity, stands to reason Scootaloo has somepony. And we're not even sure if pegasi her age can fly. But it makes sense to me, and I likes it that way.

i like it.... therfore i reward you with some Scootaloo flavored D'AWWW to the face
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2011-09-22 at 09:17 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

5. - Top - End - #845
    Bugbear in the Playground

Perhaps it's just me, but it feels like the word foal is repeated too frequently here. Perhaps change the first one to tyke, child, or even the second to the simple word "foolish"? Or just ignore it, as I tend to pick out odd things that others never seem to care about.
    It's a fair point, so I changed it to 'newborn'. I also changed something else akin to that later in the fic that didn't sit well with me.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The HUB posted 52 seconds of S2E2 as a sneak peek. It's 52 seconds of
    Spoiler
    Show
    DisQord being a magnificent bastard, and Twilight complaining about it.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Troll in the Playground

It's a fair point, so I changed it to 'newborn'. I also changed something else akin to that later in the fic that didn't sit well with me.
    You could also have used the word filly, to keep up the equine thing going.
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2011-09-22 at 09:23 PM.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

How To Care For A Newborn Foal

Excerpt 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    “TWILIGHT! TWILIGHT!!”

Twilight groaned, and covered her head with her pillow. Trixie had only gotten up a couple of minutes ago, damn it! It was her turn anyways! One thing that the books had never warned her about was how often a parent would need to get up to tend to a newborne foal. Perhaps they didn’t mention it because the authors were afraid that nopony would ever become a parent knowing that. Sleep was becoming a luxury, and other, more enjoyable, nocturnal activites were rapidly becoming the dream of a previous life.

If she didn’t know better, she would have believed that Luna had done something to their daughter to ensure that Midnight would be a night pony. Perhaps they shouldn’t have named her after a time of night, too...

That brought them to tonight. MIdnight had been especially fussy, and both of them had been forced to be up with her multiple times already. Finally, finally, it seemed like she had settled down for a couple of hours, only for the peace of the house to be broken by weak crying. But it was Trixie’s turn this time, and she wasn’t going to get up! She was probably only messing up the diaper again anyways. Twilight couldn’t figure out how somepony who was so good with knots, was so terrible with tying up a diaper.

Of course, Twilight had to admit she was jealous on how easily Trixie was able to get Midnight to eat. She supposed that she had a edge in that department anyways.

No, she would just roll over, and pretend to be asl-

“TWILIGHT, SHE’S SICK!”

It was amazing how quickly she could move. She was halfway to the nursery before she knew it. She threw open the door, any trace of sleepiness gone. She nearly tripped over Spike, who, of course, was still asleep. It was truly amazing how deep that dragon could sleep.

For a moment, she thought it was Trixie who was the one who was sick. Trixie was paler than Twilight had ever seen her, save for the day of the reunion. The only thing breaking up that pallid look were her red-rimmed eyes. She looked frantically at Twilight, clutching the tiny bundle tightly against her protectively.

“S-she’s b-burning up...” Trixie choaked. Twilight swallowed down her own rising panic, and gently pushed in to check on her daughter. The fact that she wasn’t crying worried her...

She was shivering gently, and Midnight’s normally bright and vivid eyes were dulled with pain. Trembling, Twilight checked beneath her pelt, seeing that her skin was bright red, and her tiny horn was glowing, the occasional spark shooting forth from it. Midnight was letting out small little whimpers, her breathing was shallow, but stubborn. Twilight pressed a hoof gently against her forehead, and nearly recoiled. Trixie was right, Midnight was burning up, and it was a higher fever than she had been anticipating.

Those eyes looked up at her, already believing, knowing with all of her tiny heart, that her parents would be able to help her. To make the pain go away.

“W-What’s wrong with her? What do we do?” Trixie immediatly deferred to Twilight. This was not the time for pride, earned or not. Of the two of them, Twilight was most likely to know what to do, know how to help their weeks-old child...

“I...I...” Where was all the knowledge that she had prided herself in? Trixie and her daughter, they needed her, they were looking up at her, secure in the fact that she would think of something. Twilight Sparkle, most knowledagble pony in all of Equestria.

Nothing was coming to mind.

“I...don’t know...”

She never felt so helpless.

Excerpt 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It wasn't what Trixie wanted to hear.

"You don't know? You're telling me Princess Celestia's favorite student can beat an Ursa Minor, but she doesn't know what's wrong with her daughter?!" Trixie's voice raised, as she clutched Midnight tightly. She stared at Twilight accusingly, who flinched.

"I-I don't recognize the symptoms, Trixie! I mean, it's not that, I don't recognize this combination of symptoms! She's feverish, but not sweating! She's in pain, but I don't see where! I don't know why she's breathing so shallowly, there's nothing wrong with her chest, and I don't even know why her horn is glowing! A unicorn's horn shouldn't be glowing at all yet!" Twilight babbled out a defense, her own voice belying her panic. Why was she bringing up old wounds that hadn't been touched now of all times? It had been months since...

"You think you're Great and Powerful, but you can't do anything to help her!" Trixie yelled.

That was why.

Twilight rose up, and embraced Trixie. At the touch of her wife, Trixie immediately break down, sobbing against Twilight's chest. She kept a tight hold of Midnight, as if sheer contact could heal the pain their daughter was suffering.

"We have to help her...I can't lose her already..." Trixie whispered, and Twilight nuzzled at her comfortingly.

They were going to need help. But who? Ponyville didn't have a hospital, they had a clinic, and she doubted Nurse Redheart would be able to help much, she was an expert in Earth Pony health. Zecora was out, it was too dangerous to go through the Everfree Forest during the night, especially with a sick newborn in tow. Was there nopony else in Ponyville that could help them at this time of night?

"The Princesses!" Quill and scroll were already in the air. "Celestia will be asleep, but Luna..."

"Luna?" Trixie said uncertainly, when Twilight trailed off. Twilight had been reminded of a certain event that had happened only weeks ago.

It was still odd to them, Luna's heartfelt, almost desperate, request to be Midnight's parent, her 'third mother'. But then, they had accepted, hadn't they? That made her that third parent. That made this not just a matter of getting a Princesses help. She deserved to know that her daughter was sick, too.

Luna,
    Midnight's sick, come quickly!
    -Twilight

Not her most eloquent letter, but perhaps her most to-the-point.

"SPIKE!" The small dragon began to stir his his basket. He wearily lifted a head, sleepy eyes blinking.

"Twilight? Why are you-MMPHH!" His eyes widened, as the scroll was stuffed into his mouth. Reflexively, that green flame licked out of his mouth, burning the scroll into magical ashes, which floated out the window, to it's destination. Spike glared at Twilight. "What was that for? Couldn't you have asked like a normal pony?"

"Spike, Midnight's sick, we need Luna as quickly as possible." Twilight quickly explained, and Spike craned his neck, looking at the tiny bundle in Trixie's hooves.

"Oh, geez, the kid's sick? What's wrong with her?" Twilight bit her lip at Spike's question.

"That's what we're trying to figure out." She replied, turning back to her daughter.

Just in time to see Midnight's horn to catch on fire.

Trixie yelped, as green flames licked out from Midnight's forehead, the frightened newborn letting out a tiny little cry. Immediately the showmare's own horn flared, her magic creating a tiny raincloud, which rained down on mother and daughter. It did nothing to staunch the magical green flames.

Twilight rushed forwards, intent to do something, anything to help. Just inches away from them, her hoof outstretched, her magic at the ready, the fire flared brilliantly and consumed their daughter in an instant.

The magical ashes drifted out the window.
    Hooooo boy. Did I pick a lousy time to get ninja'd or what?

I kid, I kid. Good work as always. Just a few thoughts:

Spoiler
    Show
    At the touch of her wife, Trixie immediately break down, sobbing against Twilight's chest.
    -"immediately broke down"

*the ending*
    -If Trixie and Twilight are not flipping out in every sense of the word, then they are not reacting strong enough. Just a little warning for the next part.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    The HUB posted 52 seconds of S2E2 as a sneak peek. It's 52 seconds of
    Spoiler
    Show
    DisQord being a magnificent bastard, and Twilight complaining about it.
    Link please?
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Link please?
    Here you go. Official YouTube channel and everything.

11. - Top - End - #851

Hooooo boy. Did I pick a lousy time to get ninja'd or what?

I kid, I kid. Good work as always. Just a few thoughts:

Spoiler
    Show
    At the touch of her wife, Trixie immediately break down, sobbing against Twilight's chest.
    -"immediately broke down"

*the ending*
    -If Trixie and Twilight are not flipping out in every sense of the word, then they are not reacting strong enough. Just a little warning for the next part.
    My apologies. I think you could go somewhere with your idea. Scoots kind of needs a non-tragic family life at this point.

Spoiler
    Show
    1) Fixed.

2)They will be flipping out worse than ninja, I can promise you that.

How do you do this?

Where do you get such awesome from, and how can I get some?
    My house is right next to the Canadian government's Strategic Awesome Supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Aaaand the roller coaster drops off the first hill. Wowsers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect the last part is Luna's doing but stopping Trixie and Twilight's hearts isn't necessarily the best way to help...
    An interesting guess! I will not say if you were right or not, you'll have to wait until tomorrow.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do posts sometimes just disappear or can they be removed by the author because I swear I was just about to reply to someone only to find that their post no longer exists. Weird.

Oh well, wasn't really important anyway.

I liked part 2, Esperderek. Its got me freaking out even though I know Midnight turns out just fine in the end.

Stupid ponies, here I have to write a draft of a paper due tomorrow involving gas warfare in WW1 and I keep getting distracted by ponies and Russian warships. I don't know if anyone else out there knows this but WW1 is incredibly unpony.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet Priest View Post
    Do posts sometimes just disappear or can they be removed by the author because I swear I was just about to reply to someone only to find that their post no longer exists. Weird.

If you edit your post, you have a checkbox at the top (above the post) for the option to delete it completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

14. - Top - End - #854

If you edit your post, you have a checkbox at the top (above the post) for the option to delete it completely.
    Interesting, I didn't know that. I tend to be oblivious to such things because I don't post very much.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet Priest View Post

That was probably me...

I posted something then thought: You know, this will probably only cause problems, so I deleted it. So yeah, stuff disappears.

16. - Top - End - #856

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    That was probably me...

I posted something then thought: You know, this will probably only cause problems, so I deleted it. So yeah, stuff disappears.
    Yeah, it was you. I only said something because I thought the forum might have derped and eaten it or something. I don't think your comment would have caused problems though, I was simply going to bombard you with information

17. - Top - End - #857
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Just something...

This is your singing telegram,
    We hope it finds you well.
    You're invited to a party
    'cause we think you're really swell!

DD's turning one* year old,
    So help us celebrate--
    The cake will be delicious,
    The festivities first-rate!

There will be games and dancing,
    Bob for apples, cut-a-rug!
    And when the party's over
    We'll gather 'round for a group hug.

No need to bring a gift,
    Being there will be enough...
    Birthdays mean having fun with friends,
    Not getting lots of stuff.

It won't be the same without you,
    So we hope that you say "yes."
    So please, oh please, RSVP
    And come and be our guest!

(I've been wanting to use that for a while now, and today I can!)

*Strictly true only for large values of one
    Spoiler
    Show
    ONWARD

TO THE PARTY!

Other stuff forthcoming. Still kinda of Coughing up shoeing nails.

Hey Hopereaver. Stop scanning for stuff that has been added to the ship/commodore. Look instead for things which were altered slightly or subtracted. Like elements.

Because he's acting actual evil, not moustache twirling evil.

Now, I have this fancy invite from Inkwell. What's this Dark Narrow Alley? It sounds like a club. Is it a club? Ooh! Or a diner!

18. - Top - End - #858
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Now, I have this fancy invite from Inkwell. What's this Dark Narrow Alley? It sounds like a club. Is it a club? Ooh! Or a diner!

"Suuure, a Diner. That works. Come meet me at the 'Diner'. For Love and Tolerance."

19. - Top - End - #859
    Dwarf in the Playground

So I was idly looking at the Crystal Caste website and saw that they do custom dice.

I was immediately struck with the thought "Six sides on a standard die, six mane cast members! Coincidence? I don't think so!"

They only do single color printing, or two color for an extra charge, so now I need to find good monochrome images of the mane six, and my plans will begin to unfold!!!

Bwah ha ha ha!

I've actually got nothing, I just want pony dice...
    "Ponies are proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy."-Ben Franklin

Rainbow dash...
    They're coming. The Shippers are coming for you, but listen—your life could depend on this—don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're shipped. They are fast, faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink. Good luck.

Gamerlord on EQD.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #860

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinda View Post
    So I was idly looking at the Crystal Caste website and saw that they do custom dice.

I was immediately struck with the thought "Six sides on a standard die, six mane cast members! Coincidence? I don't think so!"

They only do single color printing, or two color for an extra charge, so now I need to find good monochrome images of the mane six, and my plans will begin to unfold!!!

Bwah ha ha ha!

I've actually got nothing, I just want pony dice...
    So would it be like ponies with a number on them or would you have to remember which pony is what number? Pony dice sound awesome, I can't think of any monochrome images off the top of my head though.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

Episode 2 spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, such a magnificently smug gloating villain! So much fun to watch and love to hate!

22. - Top - End - #862

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    *silent gaze*
    *Filly pokey screams and faints*
    W-we have his attention now... and im not sure i want it...
    *Ponyard calms himself*
    Nightscream, put "The Swarm" on display. Sky, Charge up the spiral cannon, convert its energy to shielding. Begin preparations to open the chaos portal.
    We may be new to this game, Commodore, but dont underestimate Ponykind. we can bring something new to your fleet. Honestly, JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK---

I will be in my Engineering, I have some ideas to increase efficiency signficantly. Call me if I'm needed, Commander.

Right.

Guys? Help? I have no clue what the hell is going on. I've never seen him so... glacially calm and controlled. I hate to make the comparison, but its the sort of calm Lord Death Despoil has, only without, I dunno, the warmth? Or something? I dunno what happened in there...

Sensor logs are clean, Commander, I don't think he is comprised in any way...

Good thinking, LT. Anypony got any ideas? It's...actually kind of scary...
    ...Or he could just walk way.... Keep on alert everyone. Nightscream, cage The Swarm for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I use TurboCAD, followed by a conversion for to a .stl format in Blender. The 3D printing is itself done at Shapeways, which is the first real commercial mass-market 3D printer. (It was in fact, their ailing peformance and pending price increase that was largely the source of my earlier...irritation.)

Before the price change, for starships, the price was getting competative with metal castings (whether it remains so we shall see). Shapeways also allow one to open up a webstore, in which others can buy prints of your models, for an additional mark-up you place on them; I have done so myself (named Aotrs Shipyards in a moment of whimsy.)
    It occaionally affords me some additional money for more starships.
    A rough approximation would be something along the lines of four to eight hours per starship class, longer for the larger ones, less for the smaller or variants of existing hulls. (These are not all the designs I did in that time, merely the large proportion.) I worked mostly in bursts, often in preparation before a convention. The Stone Portals (second fleet) were the first essays, followed by a handful of the forth (delta) fleet (the rest being done at odd points); the Vivrathk (first fleet) were next; the SSA (the remaining fleet) was mostly this year, up until June; after which I have been concentrating on 144 sci-fi vehicles for October's convention (as I mentioned earlier).
    Man.... i love your fleets. I would totally love to do stuff like that (My love for Airships and Starships is well known here) if it wasnt for lack of time and talent.
    The best i got are a few binders full of weaponry and such that i drew between 3rd and 6th grades.

Okay, we've got about eight hours before he gets back. I'm gonna go over the whole station with a scanner and a fine tooth comb and make some preparations. I suggest you guys think of something, fast, or at least get ahold of copious quantities of chocolate and/or starships. If that doesn't snap him out of...whatever is going on, I'm calling high command, because we're in waaaay over my pay grade.[/COLOR]
    Is the chaos portal ready?
    Yeah, why?
    Eternal Chaos comes with chocolate rain. and a large supply of chaos ships.
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

23. - Top - End - #863
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by InkwellPony View Post
    "Suuure, a Diner. That works. Come meet me at the 'Diner'. For Love and Tolerance."
    just realized I said it was a club XD
    neat! Er, wait. Can we just do tolerance? Braz might be upset.

Hm, look at this. It's... An alley. That's dark.
    Hm. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting a gimmick for such a business. *shrugs, walks into alley*

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    As Erikun said, it depends on how pony society views such pairings. That said, I can totally see her do something along the lines of the singing telegram from "Party of One"

This is your singing telegram
    I hope if finds you well
    Will you go on a date with me
    I think your really swell
    Your cute and soft and huggable
    So come lets have a date
    The food will be delicious
    The festivities first rate!

Wow, that...that was way too easy to turn into a date invite.
    >_>

<_<

*Ahem!*

Thiiiiiis is your invitation
    to a private dinner date.
    The restaurant's exclusive,
    so please please don't be late.
    It will be so very special,
    just Pinkie and Fluttershy.
    So make me the most happiest
    and say 'Yes' when you reply!
    *Squeee!*

If anypony asks, you saw and heard nothing. Some of us have reputations to maintain.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    >_>

<_<

*Ahem!*

Thiiiiiis is your invitation
    to a private dinner date.
    The restaurant's exclusive,
    so please please don't be late.
    It will be so very special,
    just Pinkie and Fluttershy.
    So make me the most happiest
    and say 'Yes' when you reply!
    *Squeee!*

If anypony asks, you saw and heard nothing. Some of us have reputations to maintain.
    Here. This internet is a family heirloom of mine, but I think you deserve it.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

26. - Top - End - #866

So I got to some more thinking; if one of these horrifying/awful backstories can't account for her character, what can? After a while, I remembered the gene chart that somepony posted up a few days ago. And that's when it hit me;

Scootaloo's parents are non-pegasi.

It explains the lack of flight; without parents to teach her, she'd have a much harder time finding proper instruction. It explains why we never see her family; with such an energetic example of stereotypical pegasi enthusiasm for sports, speed, etc, there'd be a natural estrangement even if they were good parents. It explains her idolization of Rainbow Dash; with no strong pegasus figure in her life, she looks up to the swiftest and bestest one around.

Not sure what I'd do with this. Maybe a slice-of-life fic once I'm done with my current project. But this is pretty much fanon for me now. I want that little pegasus to have a decent family, and gosh darn it she gets one at least in my head.

NOTE: Yes, I realize "family isn't around" is a poor example. But Apple Bloom has Applejack, Sweetie Belle has Rarity, stands to reason Scootaloo has somepony. And we're not even sure if pegasi her age can fly. But it makes sense to me, and I likes it that way.
    Damn, my fanfic-subprocess glommed all over this.

So, do you figure Scoot's parents are Earth ponies, Unicorns, or one of each? Are they both half-pegasus, or do you figure it's a recessive thing that goes further back (which could cause some awkward moments right after Scoots is born)?

One thing that I've wondered about Scootaloo is that she appears to be more worried about not having her cutie mark than about basically not being able to fly. Now we know that even Fluttershy could fly (if not very strongly) before she got her cutie mark, and Rainbow Dash was fully flying before she got hers. Darth Bobcat had some ideas about that (damn I miss DBC).

And while on the subject of parents:
    Hey, EsperDerek!
    I was wondering something. In the OitC/Midnight continuity, have you given any thought to the rest of the mane cast at the point the we have University Student Midnight? Twilight's been in Ponyville twenty years, IIRC, so even the CMC are old enough to be married with foals...

27. - Top - End - #867
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Here. This internet is a family heirloom of mine, but I think you deserve it.
    He's given you the most wonderful gift of all time. In that he gave you what we just... WAIT A MINUTE
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

i dont know how you do it esperderak
    but i am glad i work in a hospital...you damn near gave ME a heart attack with excerpt #2..cant imagine about mom and momma

no idea where you'll take this....only prediction i feel safe making is

Spoiler
    Show
    if Spike doesnt puke up a note in THE NEXT 5 SECONDS to the effect of..

I have her
    on way to royal DR
    fastest chariot on way to you
    --Luna

then all reality within 20 miles of ponyville will start getting turned inside out by a certain 2 unicorns
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

29. - Top - End - #869

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    And while on the subject of parents:
    Hey, EsperDerek!
    I was wondering something. In the OitC/Midnight continuity, have you given any thought to the rest of the mane cast at the point the we have University Student Midnight? Twilight's been in Ponyville twenty years, IIRC, so even the CMC are old enough to be married with foals...
    This is sort of a complex question. The simple answer is that I have, but I've been careful to leave a lot of it fairly nebulous, and allow the reader to sort of slot in their own image of what Equestria is like twenty years hence, particularly in the area of relationships. There are certain things that have been established: Dash not only joined the Wonderbolts, but eventually became Captain, for instance. Rarity is an incredibly successful fashion designer, and has a boutique in Canterlot.

And I do have a fairly solid idea in my mind where *I* picture everypony else is, and who they're with, but I sort have always liked that everypony else might have their own different idea. This, of course, changes when certain aspects of the plot I'm working on requires information on another pony's status.

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    i dont know how you do it esperderak
    but i am glad i work in a hospital...you damn near gave ME a heart attack with excerpt #2..cant imagine about mom and momma

no idea where you'll take this....only prediction i feel safe making is

Spoiler
    Show
    if Spike doesnt puke up a note in THE NEXT 5 SECONDS to the effect of..

I have her
    on way to royal DR
    fastest chariot on way to you
    --Luna

then all reality within 20 miles of ponyville will start getting turned inside out by a certain 2 unicorns
    One of the best things I've learned about utilizing this style of writing is that it allows me to practice my ability on the cliffhanger.

I'm glad that you work in a hospital, then.
    Last edited by EsperDerek; 2011-09-22 at 11:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    just realized I said it was a club XD
    neat! Er, wait. Can we just do tolerance? Braz might be upset.

Hm, look at this. It's... An alley. That's dark.
    Hm. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting a gimmick for such a business. *shrugs, walks into alley*
    *WHAM THUD CRACK BAM SPINDLE*

* Inkwell walks out of the alley, tossing the cracked club off to one side. "Now I feel much better. ^^ I 'loved and tolerated' the hay out of him, and now I forgive him for upsetting Derek and Midnight." She struts along, humming happily.