New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    As some other posters have touched on, I feel it is unfair to complain about illegal piracy, duping, etc. in the same breath one complains about DRM. One is being done to avoid the other, and while I do empathize with those unable to play online, I would rather lose 50,000 players or whatever number will actually stick to their guns and not purchase it, so that the rest of the players will have a much less rampantly cheat-heavy environment. EDIT: Possibly avoiding and quashing any cheating whatsoever!

I think I understand why the no pause rule is there, but it should be lifted in single player, I agree. Perhaps, it already is, I don't know.
    The issue with that line of thinking, is the 50,000 people(which btw, I think will be much higher) that refuse to purchase it, are the ones who obviously weren't going to cheat to begin with. The pirates are the ones who are going to cheat, and they weren't planning on buying the game to begin with.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    faceroll, you may not have problems with these things. You may even be in the majority, as blizzard obviously thinks. But the fact that people are complaining means that not everyone plays the same way you do. Sometimes you get called away from the computer. In a single player game, you can pause. In a multiplayer game, you just die. Given the option, I know I would prefer to pause.
    Or you just hit the hotkey for a town portal and chill in town. That's what I did in D2, which I pretty much played online exclusively for the better part of 10 years (jesus christ that's a lot of time on a pretty ok game).

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    MMO.
    Diablo's never been an MMO. D1 had game sizes of 4; D2 had game sizes of 8; and it sounds like D3 is going to have a game size of 4 (maybe 8). Bnet's basically a matchmaking service in the Diablo franchise.

As some other posters have touched on, I feel it is unfair to complain about illegal piracy, duping, etc. in the same breath one complains about DRM. One is being done to avoid the other, and while I do empathize with those unable to play online, I would rather lose 50,000 players or whatever number will actually stick to their guns and not purchase it, so that the rest of the players will have a much less rampantly cheat-heavy environment. EDIT: Possibly avoiding and quashing any cheating whatsoever!

I think I understand why the no pause rule is there, but it should be lifted in single player, I agree. Perhaps, it already is, I don't know.
    That's a really good point, but I am uncertain if dupes, etc. can be solved with DRM. Maphacks in starcraft 2 are solved with mass bannings. There's not really any way (or so I'm told) to deal with maphakcs from the server side. Not without some seriously invasive programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    You're barking up the wrong tree arguing with Faceroll. In every single thread concerning diablo 3, anytime someone complains about it and mentions internet connections, he's been entirely unsympathetic, and, as you can see, even going so far as to troll us in his own special way. I've come to completely ignore him when it comes to this type of thread. ^^ he obviously lives in some fantasy world where everyone has a perfect internet in all the world, and refuses to come out of it and see that even in the U.S. there are millions of people who don't have good options for internet. Hell, I only live 8 miles from the nearest town, but there is absolutely no decent internet for anyone where I live, dial-up is literally the only option, and that encompasses about 500 people or so who live on the mountain.
    /shrug
    Diablo's only worth playing online. I've always considered it an online game, so your complaints seem to me to pretty much be "why can't there be single player WoW?"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    Or you just hit the hotkey for a town portal and chill in town. That's what I did in D2, which I pretty much played online exclusively for the better part of 10 years (jesus christ that's a lot of time on a pretty ok game).

Diablo's never been an MMO. D1 had game sizes of 4; D2 had game sizes of 8; and it sounds like D3 is going to have a game size of 4 (maybe 8). Bnet's basically a matchmaking service in the Diablo franchise.

That's a really good point, but I am uncertain if dupes, etc. can be solved with DRM. Maphacks in starcraft 2 are solved with mass bannings. There's not really any way (or so I'm told) to deal with maphakcs from the server side. Not without some seriously invasive programming.

/shrug
    Diablo's only worth playing online. I've always considered it an online game, so your complaints seem to me to pretty much be "why can't there be single player WoW?"
    Yeah, but that's just you. On the various d3 threads on this forum alone, I have seen at least a dozen or more people who have clearly stated they only play Diablo in single player mode, or LAN. That is a fairly obvious indicator that there are likely hundreds of thousands of people who do so at large, if not a million or two. Which imo, gives you no right to throw out the troll-like comments you have on these threads. And you can't deny the "like what..all 5 of them" comment was trolling.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Yeah, but that's just you. On the various d3 threads on this forum alone, I have seen at least a dozen or more people who have clearly stated they only play Diablo in single player mode, or LAN. That is a fairly obvious indicator that there are likely hundreds of thousands of people who do so at large, if not a million or two. Which imo, gives you no right to throw out the troll-like comments you have on these threads. And you can't deny the "like what..all 5 of them" comment was trolling.
    Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me a troll. Some people have contrary opinions because they actually feel differently about things, not because they're "out to get you".

I also hear a lot of people online QQing about always online stuff or whatnot, and you know what? There are still hundred of thousands, if not millions, of people playing them.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me a troll. Some people have contrary opinions because they actually feel differently about things, not because they're "out to get you".
    Correct. Your disagreement does not make you a troll.

I also hear a lot of people online QQing about always online stuff or whatnot, and you know what? There are still hundred of thousands, if not millions, of people playing them.
    Your choice of words might make other people think of you as a troll.
    Your thinking there is "a right way" to play a certain game might make other people think you were a troll.
    Ignoring some arguments and enforcing others at your liking might make other people think of you as a troll.
    And finally, saying "It just sounds like people without friends QQing." will make people think of you as a troll.
    Just wanted to summarize it for you.

Well, I just heartily disagree with most of your arguments. You play Diablo mainly online, alright. Other people do not. Perma-online-DRMs has its advantages, but you just can not deny it also has disadvantages for quite a few people as well.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

I watched a youtube of the beta, and I have to say that I'm really sad about what the story looks like, or at least the start. When content doesn't make me think about something (philosophy, tactics, people, anything other than, "go here, hack-and-slash bad guy") IMHO it can't possibly be good. The quest about the man's possessed wife was exactly the kind of trashy thing you'd find in an MMO. He doesn't do anything! You can't interact with the situation! Ugh. It's the kind of thing that's already a little tedious the second time you do it.

Hell, I can't even think of the word "quest" properly anymore. I should think that a quest would be the ultimate in exerting your own force on the world. Videogames should acknowledge that the quest should start epic and not be used as a device to measure incremental progress.

It's probably also that I'm disappointed with the setting itself. The smith-man whose wife was possessed, he appeared kinda tormented, but it wasn't very interesting. It's a shame because there are some really nasty possibilities with exorcism or with half-living suffering... But with the way the game went, I was convinced that the woman was basically the same as all the classic undead creatures--they had died and turned into unfeeling, loot-dropping mooks.

There. I've stupidly gone and added value to the story that I hated. But it still remains that they've spent a bunch of time on setting, which looks pretty poor quality, and consequently most people just skip it. Why do they develop settings like those?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by raymundo View Post
    Correct. Your disagreement does not make you a troll.

Your choice of words might make other people think of you as a troll.
    Your thinking there is "a right way" to play a certain game might make other people think you were a troll.
    Ignoring some arguments and enforcing others at your liking might make other people think of you as a troll.
    And finally, saying "It just sounds like people without friends QQing." will make people think of you as a troll.
    Just wanted to summarize it for you.

Well, I just heartily disagree with most of your arguments. You play Diablo mainly online, alright. Other people do not. Perma-online-DRMs has its advantages, but you just can not deny it also has disadvantages for quite a few people as well.
    Thank you for perfectly summarizing my viewpoint. It's not that you can't disagree with people on the internet, that's perfectly acceptable. It's the WAY you do the disagreeing, by so blatantly dismissing the other sides viewpoint and concerns, AND doing so in a fashion that is both insulting and demeaning to that side, that is what made me call you a troll, because you've done so in every diablo 3 thread on this forum. If you want to disagree, do so in a more polite fashion. No-one on this thread has treated you, or your opinions with dis-respect, there is absolutely no cause for you to do so to us.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

And that's where a lot of people disagree; I played D1 online a bit before the cheating became rampant; after being forced to cheat myself just to stay alive and not loose all my stuff to noob-killers I played exclusively single player and loved it.

D2... Never played online at all.

Of course both these games are from the dialup era; running a game of 4 people where all are connected with 14400 or 28800 modems... (Sarcasm mode)Those were the good old days(/Sarcasm mode).

I will most likely only play D3 alone.

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    I watched a youtube of the beta, and I have to say that I'm really sad about what the story looks like, or at least the start. When content doesn't make me think about something (philosophy, tactics, people, anything other than, "go here, hack-and-slash bad guy") IMHO it can't possibly be good. The quest about the man's possessed wife was exactly the kind of trashy thing you'd find in an MMO. He doesn't do anything! You can't interact with the situation! Ugh. It's the kind of thing that's already a little tedious the second time you do it. (Snipping the rest)
    You mean it is exactly like Diablo 1 and 2? What a shock!
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2011-09-29 at 02:06 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    And that's where a lot of people disagree; I played D1 online a bit before the cheating became rampant; after being forced to cheat myself just to stay alive and not loose all my stuff to noob-killers I played exclusively single player and loved it.

D2... Never played online at all.

Of course both these games are from the dialup era; running a game of 4 people where all are connected with 14400 or 28800 modems... (Sarcasm mode)Those were the good old days(/Sarcasm mode).

I will most likely only play D3 alone.

You mean it is exactly like Diablo 1 and 2? What a shock!
    I'll be your D3 friend if you like. I can't backstab a grin that adorable
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be your D3 friend if you like. I can't backstab a grin that adorable
    Well that is an idea... I remember when Spore came out and this forum organized a list. Too bad the game itself was a major disappointment.

Let's do that again for D3!!!
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

11. - Top - End - #71

I can put that in the OP, for sure. I believe the region locked servers may hamper our efforts a bit. Perhaps multiple groups would be best?

I was able to dig this up: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3082080739
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just wanted to point out that all you people saying your internet is too bad to play online, you may be overestimating how much bandwidth this game will require, especially if you are playing single player/on your own. Now, I haven't had dial-up in the last decade, but I do remember the only thing that was remotely slow was the patching, otherwise I could pretty much play any game, D2, Dungeon Siege (it was new back then), and stuff just fine. No lag, no real problems. Also, I guess my connection was really solid, never got dropped or anything spotty like that.

On a different topic, I see Diablo as a social game, like dnd or a board game, and I rarely played with people I knew, when I did play with others. I find it really weird that people would intentionally cut them selves off when the option to play with others was available.

Edit: Also, put all points into vitality, disregard energy/dexterity/strength, profit.
    Last edited by ZeltArruin; 2011-09-29 at 10:24 AM.
    ~ZA

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just wanted to chime in on the side of "I hate the idea of mandatory online play." There's nothing particularly wrong with my 'Net connection. I've just never felt there was any value added in playing Diablo online.

As for the comment about bandwidth, that's not really the main cause of poor online gaming performance. Latency (ping time) has a bigger impact there.
    Last edited by BlackSheep; 2011-09-30 at 08:11 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not a fan of mandatory online play, either. I'm not antisocial. I just don't want to deal with YOU.

Additionally, if I want to cheese my butt off and give my guy all 18s (or whatever the max ability score will be) and the Beefcake's Sword of Godslaying, that's my business.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZeltArruin View Post
    On a different topic, I see Diablo as a social game, like dnd or a board game, and I rarely played with people I knew, when I did play with others. I find it really weird that people would intentionally cut them selves off when the option to play with others was available.
    While that is a perfectly valid opinion, and I cannot speak for the others, I do have a few reasons why I usually prefer to play alone.

1) Time. I don't know how it was in DI or II (since I never went online for either), but based on other online games, getting a group together can take time. Players have to find other players who want to group up. Those that were in the middle of something have to finish up and get with the rest.

For people whose play-time is limited, every minute you spend waiting is one minute less you can actually play. Contrast that to hop on and actually play for the 30 minutes you have free.

2) Idiots. While I know there are a lot of mature gamers out there, there are also a lot of idiots whose idea of fun is rushing off and dying, then expecting everyone else to cover for them. Or players who want to stand in the back and do nothing to help, then get the rewards. (Please note: When I say "stand in the back," I do not people people playing classes that are ranged or healers. Those people do stand in the back, but they contribute to the group.)
    Last edited by Kesnit; 2011-09-30 at 10:49 AM.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Just popping in to mention that I am in the beta, and if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

17. - Top - End - #77

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZeltArruin View Post

Edit: Also, put all points into vitality, disregard energy/dexterity/strength, profit.
    I agree completely. Online is the only way I could even play Diablo 2 once I got on it.

Also, not entirely true on your edit. Strength and Dex got the absolute minimum of points needed to equip all of your equipment after your other equipment. Energy can jump off a cliff though, no matter what your class.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    While that is a perfectly valid opinion, and I cannot speak for the others, I do have a few reasons why I usually prefer to play alone.

1) Time. I don't know how it was in DI or II (since I never went online for either), but based on other online games, getting a group together can take time. Players have to find other players who want to group up. Those that were in the middle of something have to finish up and get with the rest.

For people whose play-time is limited, every minute you spend waiting is one minute less you can actually play. Contrast that to hop on and actually play for the 30 minutes you have free.

2) Idiots. While I know there are a lot of mature gamers out there, there are also a lot of idiots whose idea of fun is rushing off and dying, then expecting everyone else to cover for them. Or players who want to stand in the back and do nothing to help, then get the rewards. (Please note: When I say "stand in the back," I do not people people playing classes that are ranged or healers. Those people do stand in the back, but they contribute to the group.)
    1. Find a game name that interests you, for instance "bossthatdropsstuffiwant 278". Join it and then follow it, since its likely a string of runs to that boss. Go as long as you want. Or, if you want to do specific things a game title that says "Act 1 beginning" means they're starting a new character, most likely. It is extremely easy to jump in and out and find a game that meets your requirements.

2. Ignore them, and name calling is actually fairly low. If someone died in D2 you just saw people spamming TP, if one wasn't already up.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Just popping in to mention that I am in the beta, and if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer.
    You lucky bastard.
    Last edited by Suichimo; 2011-09-30 at 05:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    Not a fan of mandatory online play, either. I'm not antisocial. I just don't want to deal with YOU.

Additionally, if I want to cheese my butt off and give my guy all 18s (or whatever the max ability score will be) and the Beefcake's Sword of Godslaying, that's my business.
    No need to be rude; always online does not equate to forced cooperative play. It's entirely possible to experience the game without seeing another player's character.

I edited the OP to include some information to those interested in playing with other playgrounders. The game won't be out for a few months, but who wants to be on the forums when it's released .

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm considering getting the game, but not for sometime until after it is released. The servers will probably be overloaded for the first month or so, and I have no intention of pre-ordering a game that will barely be playable for several weeks.
    On the topic of online play in the first two, I never played the first (Lost my disc before I had a chance to install it, was too busy having fun with the second) but the second I played mainly offline, though I did play online occasionally. I don't have much of a problem with the always-online part,my internet connection is pretty reliable, and if I don't feel like letting someone else in on my massacre, I'll just make some gibberish password. The fact you cannot save besides checkpoints or pause is annoying, but not a deal breaker.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2011-09-30 at 05:32 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

20. - Top - End - #80

As someone who's actually in the Closed Beta, I have this to say regarding complaints:

1) Story
    There's a lot of it, actually. Like in D1, it is mostly told through Tomes or journals you find lying around, as well as some NPC interaction. There's probably more story in the first act, after you start going into the dungeon, than both of the first games & expansions combined. It's also a really solid story, rife with lore and expanding on the downfall of Tristram in the first game. As someone who remembers D1 with a great deal of fondness, and still has a lot of questions regarding the back story, this is a big bonus for me. Mind you, this is just the first Act. I cannot speak beyond that, of course.

2) Atmosphere & "Cartoony Graphics"
    The game looks, plays, and feels like Diablo 1 but much better graphics. It's still dark, gory, and most importantly - fun. The graphics aren't nearly as bright or cartoony as many people lead you to believe. Even in most gameplay videos they have turned the gamma up. At max settings and a moderate gamma level, the game is sufficiently claustrophobic and creepy that I refuse to play it without a light on. This is a good thing.

5 (Three, Sir.) 3) Lack of Skill Trees & the automatic allocation of stats.
    You really, really need to read up on skill runes. They literally change the way a skill works to the point where it can be considered a whole new ability. Beyond just changing elements, they modify skills entirely. An example would be the Wizard's Meteor. By itself? Flaming chunk of rock hits ground, does damage. One rune makes it a Comet that freezes on impact, and leaves a zone of frosty mist that slows & damages enemies. Another makes it split into 14 mini meteors that rain from the sky. Another doubles the impact damage and causes a fire DoT. And there are a lot of skill and rune combinations. As an example, using the skill calculator, someone figured out there are around 1,817,811,072,000 different builds you can make with the Wizard alone. Not a million, not a billion, a trillion builds, and a lot of them are very viable. As the CB caps at 13, I haven't gotten to play with skill runes personally, but I am looking forward to it.

As for the stat thing? They've never been as important as most of the detractors are trying to make them sound, except for with some very specific builds (like the old Pre 1.10 Meleemancer from D2) or with Hardcore, where +VIT trumped virtually everything. You actually don't even notice the loss of assigning the points, and it actually streamlines the game a bit, so that you don't have to keep stopping every time you level and allocate points, then potentially get mobbed because your screen was covered by the old Inventory + Character Sheet Shroud O' Death.

4) Always Online
    Yes, it's a problem for some. I had no problems with it, but this is an issue they may end up eventually addressing as apparently they are receiving a lot of backlash about it, especially since a console port has been announced as a strong possibility, and they will most likely allow offline play on it.

5) No Pause
    Since you have infinite Town Portals (you get essentially a Hearthstone with no cool down), there's no reason not to just port back to town and sit nice & safe next to Cain, so the no pause thing is not nearly as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

6) Checkpoint saves
    Again, not as bad it it seems. Again, port back to town and it should CP Save. Problem solved.

6 ('What happened to Seven?' Just kidding.7)Real Money Auction House
    If you don't plan on playing with anyone but people you know or by yourself, this doesn't affect you. It can be effectively ignored by simply not using it. People who are having a big cry about it are essentially nerdraging about something that doesn't even concern them. "It's Pay to Win!" is not an effective argument, because you don't need to use the RMAH unless you want to. There will be nothing you will get on the RMAH you cannot get in game with some patience & MF (Magic Finding, for the uninitiated. It's gear the increases your chances of finding magical, rare, or unique items) Gear.

There are more issues than these, but these seem to be the main concerns of most people. I also want to make this abundantly clear: I was completely against this game before I played the Closed Beta, so was my best friend. He had a bit of a play on the CB while visiting recently, and has promptly put down a pre-order at a local game shop, as have I. You can sit there and complain about everything as much as you like, but once you play the game?
    You're going to be right back where you were when you first opened a strange door in the 2nd level of the Cathedral, and a ghastly, bloated thing met your gaze, and it's meaty voice greeted you with "Aaaaahh... Fresh Meat."

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a Witch Doctor who has a date with a certain undead patriarch.
    Last edited by JabberwockySupafly; 2011-10-01 at 06:56 AM.

All I ever wanted was to pick apart the day, put the pieces back together my way - Aesop Rock "Daylight"

My PAD Herder (it's mostly up-to-date... mostly)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

It's funny, but the first thing that struck me when I saw the replays was how similar the game seemed to Nox, but that's probably just because of electrocute, which seems mechanically quite similar to its lightning spell.

How do you cast spells in the game? Press the corresponding number tab and point in that direction? Or just click and point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Well, infinite Town Portals would definetly make the lack of pause more bearable. All in all, Diablo III looks good despite the "no real singleplayer" nonsense. I like the Runestones and the amount of fiddling with skills they make possible.
    Last edited by Morty; 2011-10-01 at 08:12 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JabberwockySupafly View Post
    As someone who's actually in the Closed Beta, I have this to say regarding complaints:

2) Atmosphere & "Cartoony Graphics"
    The game looks, plays, and feels like Diablo 1 but much better graphics. It's still dark, gory, and most importantly - fun. The graphics aren't nearly as bright or cartoony as many people lead you to believe. Even in most gameplay videos they have turned the gamma up. At max settings and a moderate gamma level, the game is sufficiently claustrophobic and creepy that I refuse to play it without a light on. This is a good thing.
    I my self never cared much for Graphics.I still play old games which have far worst graphics than your normal new game made by ubisoft,ea or the like.

4) Always Online
    Yes, it's a problem for some. I had no problems with it, but this is an issue they may end up eventually addressing as apparently they are receiving a lot of backlash about it, especially since a console port has been announced as a strong possibility, and they will most likely allow offline play on it.
    You can do online all the time just fine for new age consoles,even think a few console games have them or at least a few capcom games,that they may of removed it from[not sure about the removed part.],thinking off the top of my head.

5) No Pause
    Since you have infinite Town Portals (you get essentially a Hearthstone with no cool down), there's no reason not to just port back to town and sit nice & safe next to Cain, so the no pause thing is not nearly as big a deal as people are making it out to be.
    So you can teleport back to to town.So can you just as easily teleport back to where were before?

. You can sit there and complain about everything as much as you like, but once you play the game?
    You're going to be right back where you were when you first opened a strange door in the 2nd level of the Cathedral, and a ghastly, bloated thing met your gaze, and it's meaty voice greeted you with "Aaaaahh... Fresh Meat."

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a Witch Doctor who has a date with a certain undead patriarch.
    call me a old timer if you wish.But i want to own my games that i have paid for. Play them as long as the disk last.Even come back to them when i have grey or white hair like a drow.Something online all the time does not let me do.I do not own the game,i am paying to rent it.So many other games i can go out and buy,that i can own for long as the disk last.So, i'm not doing my self any harm by not picking up Diablo 3.
    Last edited by Sir Dar; 2011-10-01 at 11:37 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dar View Post
    call me a old timer if you wish.But i want to own my games that i have paid for. Play them as long as the disk last.Even come back to them when i have grey or white hair like a drow.Something online all the time does not let me do.I do not own the game,i am paying to rent it.So many other games i can go out and buy,that i can own for long as the disk last.So, i'm not doing my self any harm by not picking up Diablo 3.
    Until the technology advances that your computer can't read the disk anymore, is the counter-argument. I have a good number of games I 'own' on disks that are so old they won't function unless the computer is in the oldest compatibility mode it has, and some that I need a DOS emulator to run. One or two I've had to give up entirely because the video drivers they depend on to animate are so outdated I can't patch/download them anywhere. So owning those disks is still just 'renting' the game, the only difference is that your renter's lease lasts until technology has marched on instead of when a company decides to shut down its servers.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    How do you cast spells in the game? Press the corresponding number tab and point in that direction? Or just click and point?
    By default, you can put two skills on your mouse buttons, and another five on the 1-5 keys. The fist two you click on an enemy to cast, or hold shift to hard-cast it. 1-5 you just press the button and it casts the spell at your mouse target.

You can also re-bind the extra slots to also be buttons on your mouse, though I haven't had to fiddle with that since my mouse already has a numpad on it that works for the number keys just fine.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2011-10-01 at 12:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    By default, you can put two skills on your mouse buttons, and another five on the 1-5 keys. The fist two you click on an enemy to cast, or hold shift to hard-cast it. 1-5 you just press the button and it casts the spell at your mouse target.

You can also re-bind the extra slots to also be buttons on your mouse, though I haven't had to fiddle with that since my mouse already has a numpad on it that works for the number keys just fine.
    Anyway to get it back to the Diablo 2 style? Shift Left Click to use that skill, right click to use that skill no matter where you are pointing, and setting up hotkeys that switch out skills?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Until the technology advances that your computer can't read the disk anymore, is the counter-argument. I have a good number of games I 'own' on disks that are so old they won't function unless the computer is in the oldest compatibility mode it has, and some that I need a DOS emulator to run. One or two I've had to give up entirely because the video drivers they depend on to animate are so outdated I can't patch/download them anywhere. So owning those disks is still just 'renting' the game, the only difference is that your renter's lease lasts until technology has marched on instead of when a company decides to shut down its servers.
    Of course, in theory you could keep around old machines to play those old games. If the servers go down and they don't patch it to be able to play offline, it doesn't matter what you do.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Of course, in theory you could keep around old machines to play those old games. If the servers go down and they don't patch it to be able to play offline, it doesn't matter what you do.
    True, though I think the equivalent would be a hack to run the game on a private server.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Banned

stuff
    Nice try, Blizzard sales representative.

Reading that gave me a nerd-on.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suichimo View Post
    Anyway to get it back to the Diablo 2 style? Shift Left Click to use that skill, right click to use that skill no matter where you are pointing, and setting up hotkeys that switch out skills?
    Actually, I misspoke. Right-clicking casts the spell no matter what. It's only left click that makes you move around. Though, I think if you right click (or left click for that matter) on an enemy that's out of range, you'll move towards them before casting if you're not holding shift.