New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Favored Soul Handbook?

Quote Originally Posted by sebsmith View Post
    For others, given that LA buyoff rules are in effect and we are starting at 6th, the plan is Aasimar, not lesser Aasimar; however, if somebody has a good reason to switch I'd consider it.
    Well, you'll be starting 3,000 XP behind the others, and will stay there for a while; that's fairly annoying if the others are at the floor of level 6 and you're only 40% of the way there from level 5. Also, if you ever want to benefit from Enlarge Person to get 20' radius control with that spiked chain, being Outsider will suck greatly for you. And getting below -10 HP as a Humanoid is fixable with level 4-5 spells; with an Outsider it's time to generate a new character if you can't pony up for level 7-9 spells. I think those are three good reasons.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Well, you'll be starting 3,000 XP behind the others, and will stay there for a while; that's fairly annoying if the others are at the floor of level 6 and you're only 40% of the way there from level 5. Also, if you ever want to benefit from Enlarge Person to get 20' radius control with that spiked chain, being Outsider will suck greatly for you. And getting below -10 HP as a Humanoid is fixable with level 4-5 spells; with an Outsider it's time to generate a new character if you can't pony up for level 7-9 spells. I think those are three good reasons.
    Aasimars have the (Native) subtype.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post
    Aasimars have the (Native) subtype.
    Right you are; I missed that. OK, make that two good reasons instead of three.

Thanks for the correction.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Spamalot in the Playground

Favored Souls largely work better as gishes. The biggest reason for this is that the spells they need to function as pure casters often have save DCs, and trying to maximize these makes them MAD. (They get spell access and bonus spells from Cha, but get save DCs from Wis.) Having all good saves and a martial (or exotic) weapon from their deity helps too.

My personal favorite use for them is to turn them into super-paladins - a gish build with most of the relevant paladin abilities but much more powerful spells. This usually involves Fist of Raziel (BoED) for various flavors of smite, Sacred Exorcist to get into Prestige Paladin, or possibly a paladin 2 dip.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I like Knight of the Raven (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) for getting turning on a Favored Soul. Earlier entry, though you get turn at about the same ECL, and the class is better suited to a martial character. Refluffing the raven to a hawk might work for an Egyptian-themed FS of Zoser build; I've got one of those sitting on a back burner.

6. - Top - End - #36

I like KotR too, but the fluff/setting requirements are tricky, and you lose another caster level. If it's allowed though, it's a nice way to get into prestige paladin.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

What does divine bard offer that's worth 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells? What does crusader offer that's worth access to DMM?

For others, given that LA buyoff rules are in effect and we are starting at 6th, the plan is Aasimar, not lesser Aasimar; however, if somebody has a good reason to switch I'd consider it.

In case anybody missed it, I mentioned that cleric is banned in the op. Also, given the ability scores, I don't think the character needs to care about MAD very much.
    for the divine bard: you guys are starting at 6th level no? what sort of guarantee do you have that you will get to 9th level spells? bards have a lot of class features, skill points, and all that jazz that make them still a viable character from 1-20

for crusader over paladin: depends on what DMM you plan on using, but maneuvers are awesome, stances are great, and the crusader is just flat out better than a paladin. plus the bardsader is already a well known powerful build.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

8. - Top - End - #38

The benefit to classes that can get 9ths isn't just realized at high-level play - such classes by necessity also have faster spell acquisition than classes that top out earlier. So while a Favored Soul may not get 9ths until level 18, he can get 5ths at level 10 - whereas a Divine Bard must wait until level 13 for the same level of spells.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Favored souls should have Know. Religion and Dragon Shamans should have Know. Arcana. End of discussion!

But as a favored soul, you should take pRcs that hand out domains. Diveine oracle, contemplative, etc.

Is this for gestalt?

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by hex0 View Post
    Favored souls should have Know. Religion and Dragon Shamans should have Know. Arcana. End of discussion!
    WotC realized this (a bit late, but still )

I have no idea why they have Arcana though.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

But as a favored soul, you should take pRcs that hand out domains. Diveine oracle, contemplative, etc.
    Unfortunately more domains don't add to your spells known - unlike a spontaneous cleric say - you just get the powers and the ability to learn the spells from the list.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

12. - Top - End - #42

Try to get your DM to let you play a seraph instead. That class fixes most of the issues of the favoured soul and makes it usable.

http://www.dnd-gate.de/gate3/page/index.php?id=1630
    Thanks for Zefir for the custom avatar.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystral View Post
    Try to get your DM to let you play a seraph instead. That class fixes most of the issues of the favoured soul and makes it usable.

Favored Soul is one of the strongest classes in the game (DEFINITELY in the top ten, probably in the top eight or so). Just because it has pale skin from standing in the Cleric's shadow doesn't mean it's "unplayable." Seriously, it's a 9th level caster with more spells known than the Sorcerer and nearly full access to one of the Big Three lists. So what if it doesn't get domains? So what if it needs two stats? It's still likely to be one of the strongest and most valuable members of the party, unless everyone else is a Druid/Artificer/etc. Spells are just that good, and the Favored Soul gets a ton of 'em.

Really. "Makes it playable." Just how much do you need?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

14. - Top - End - #44

If you want "spontaneous cleric" without Favored Soul but don't want 3rd party, use the Mystic from Dragonlance Campaign Setting. They have the entire cleric list, are Cha-SAD, and even get a domain.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Favoured Soul is Tier 2.
    So is the Spontaneous Cleric from UA - which you can also find in the SRD.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

16. - Top - End - #46

I would suggest going into a Sacred Exorcist/Prestige Paladin combo asap.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Unfortunately more domains don't add to your spells known - unlike a spontaneous cleric say - you just get the powers and the ability to learn the spells from the list.
    Yeah, I just found that again while looking though my books. Is there any good way to add spells know to a Favored Soul?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystral View Post

Where is the no-save die of spontaneous combustion gaze attack?

Pft, some Seraph.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2011-10-03 at 02:04 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Is this for gestalt?
    Favored souls do have knowledge religion (check the web enhancement). Dragon Shamans do have Knowledge Arcana (check the errata). End of Discussion!
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    Favored souls do have knowledge religion (check the web enhancement). Dragon Shamans do have Knowledge Arcana (check the errata). End of Discussion!
    Double end of discussion! Woo!

You may want to snag a bonus domain or too that has nice spells not on the cleric list so you can learn them. Like Magic.

21. - Top - End - #51

Double end of discussion! Woo!

You may want to snag a bonus domain or too that has nice spells not on the cleric list so you can learn them. Like Magic.
    Note that while FS can indeed learn domain spells, doing so still uses up their existing spells known. So rather than just gaining domain spells, you're trading away cleric spells for the privilege.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Yeah, I just found that again while looking though my books. Is there any good way to add spells know to a Favored Soul?
    Take Apprentice Spellcaster + Mother Cyst. Use Apprentice Spellcaster to trade away the Mother Cyst spells. This gets you 11 new spells known -- 2 1st and 2nd, 1 3rd - 9th.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Note that while FS can indeed learn domain spells, doing so still uses up their existing spells known. So rather than just gaining domain spells, you're trading away cleric spells for the privilege.
    Which is why I mentioned that it is worth trading your potential cleric spells for Domain Spells. Magic, Protection and War have a lot of spells that are not on the Cleric list. Contemplative dip...