New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of the Fall IC

Dasque and Casimir

Dasque's shoulder tensed, and he let out a deep sigh, allowing some of Casimir's burden to fall upon him as well. He spoke slowly, carefully picking out each word not so much to try to mainpulate the words, but more so to try to make sure his thoughts were communicated effectively.

"It is the calamity that is coming. I feel it wearing on all of us, the fear of not only what resides in that raging storm below us, but what within our own souls with be brought forth from the madness. Already the ship is being built, already the others talk and prepare to fulfill their duty to Baz'Auran." If Casimir would but glance at Dasque that single moment, he may have seen something akin to sadness in his younger brother that rarely showed any emotion, before once again turning into a pleasant, distant mask. "You probably understand this even better than I. How can you sleep when the fate of Father's greatest creation falls to us to maintain, to mend, to grow."

Dasque let out one more sigh. "I am sorry, but I cannot help you dream no more than I can drag myself out of this constant haze, where even this city feels so transparent. All I can say is to find solace in your troubles and seek to overcome them. If we are unable to embrace and ride the calamity that is coming, I do not think Father will save us."

With that, Dasque had said his peace, only waiting for Casimir's parting words. Dasque was rarely one to have the last word, always letting another have it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Rui

Rui stood, though she had her arms across her chest and the slightest of frowns upon her young face. Her gold eyes glittered in the light, and though she wore no matanpushi around her head, her beautiful dark hair still seemed a little messy.

She had always been athletic, but that was because she loved the outdoors, and had walked in the gardens of the tenfold paths of contemplation.

But she didn't come here to meditate. She liked the flowers, the trees. All of the spirits of the paths she encountered. In the forest there were sounds and silence. And so she had learned to become silent, and smell, and hear things easily and clearly.
    But she didn't learn meditation or patience. Rui was one who lived in the present, the action, the moment. She preferred to run through the gardens. To be silent and find those who were alone or hidden. Today it wasn't too different. Today she was weaving the flowers she picked into a crown shape.

Normally it is done while sitting with her feet in the cool water of a fountain. Rui was restless though. Today she was pacing. She had been pacing for some time. There was a white ship that could be seen. She had heard Daire talking about it sometimes before sleep. The others did too. They were excited to see the Great Disk. Rui wondered if she was ready to leave. Maybe she had no goals here. But it was hard to think of goals for there too.

She didn't want to lose though. And if Jongo was ready, then of course she was. Rui put the flower crown on her head. It was time to hurry back to the others. Father wanted them soon. That was the feeling Rui had. So Rui ran along the paths out of the gardens. When she ran around a corner, she ran into a sibling...
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Kahn, Daire, Marwaen

Kahn nods and says, "I suppose we will get there when we get there."

"Perhaps we should find the rest of our siblings to see what is going on,"
    He pauses as he glances at Daire. He continues, "instead of wondering about stuff that we can't do anything about."

"Why don't you show me these plants on the trellis that you speak of, and we'll see if I can't help bring out their potential. There isn't much to do at the moment, anyway."

"Hm...I do wonder how Alodar is handling everything. It has been a while since we have heard from him huh."
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Lolita avatar by neoseph7!

Spoiler
    Show

Epic meter: |

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Mahan and Aurenel

Spoiler
    Show
    Mahan did his best not to cringe at his brother’s greeting: although it was filled with Aurenel’s typical cheer and excess of devotion, it was at least friendly. Forcing a smile, the Ironsoul attempted to match his brother’s mood. “Hello, brother. I fare...well this night. In truth, I fare much better than I have for many nights past; seeing the progress of the great Ship births anticipation in my heart.”

As he spoke, Mahan fought the urge to look away from his brother, and although he stood stock-still, there was something in his demeanor, or perhaps his tone, to suggest his soul at least was fidgeting under the piercing eyes of Baz’Auran’s bright son.
    "The Ship? Indeed, its crafting is well-made and progresses swiftly, but do not mistake it for what it is not: while anticipation over a good thing increases one's joy in Baz'Auran's generosity, do not let your desire to see it complete blind you to the graces of Baz'Auran here in this place, now at this time. There is as much holiness to fulfilling the will of Baz'Auran here in the blessed city as there is in bringing his arm to the Disc and Nightmare beyond." His eyes flicker, the bright piercing gaze of Aurenel dims for a moment. "Though there will, indeed, be great glory for His name when we wage war upon that awful void, that black and lightless abyss from which no grace can come. On that day, we shall bring light into the darkest places, and the abominations that writhe in the utter darkness will be amazed at the glory of Baz'Auran, which they had willfully blinded themselves to, and then be consumed utterly by it. Yea, on that day, we will uproot the foundations of the pit, we shall shatter its strength and purge its evil, and thus bring glory to Baz'Auran who is and shall be forevermore!"

He stops, running a hand through his radiant hair. "But this will not happen until it is His will that it shall be so, and I cannot dictate the thoughts of He who sits upon the Throne. We can only carry out His will, whatever it may be, to the fullest of our ability."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Marwaen, Daire, Kahn

They were right to worry. Right to be concerned about what may happen, should Anghau ever leave his sister. It was as though Baz'Auran, in his great and infinite wisdom, had created a whole person...and then broken it into two pieces, twins that so perfectly complemented each other their relationship was almost impossible to understand. No one could really grasp how it was that a few quiet words from her brother could calm Marwaen's temper...because no one could truly feel the depth of the love she held for him.

She made a face, at the mentioning of going and looking at the trellises. While topiary was all well and good, it wasn't something that interested her; it bored her, actually, quite a bit.

"You should make me new swords, Daire. These ones I've been using have gotten all manner of nicks in them from the stationary targets. But! I don't want to look at flowers. It's been good to see you, siblings..." Mostly Daire, her mind supplies. It is a fault of hers that she has never truly liked Kahn.

"Enjoy your statues, I'm going to go see what everyone else is doing. Taking a suggestion from Kahn, for once"--she bows to her brother, slightly--"so you should be proud of me."

Turning, she strides off down the path, Anghau at her side; she wondered who she might run into next. It would certainly be interesting, whoever it was...even if she didn't like them.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Alodar And The Three Witches

Alodar fell to the earth below, onto the Great Disk. After a day's unwanted slumber he emerged from the dust, covered in nothing but dirt. As he wandered to a nearby village he was surprised to see the very same tribe that had appeared in his dreams from the White City. The Andrais Tribe. There was no mistaking this Tribe for any other. He explained to the villagers that he was cast out of his house from another, far away Tribe, and that he knew their language from having dreams. Only the village knew their local language, and so they had no reason to doubt him. However, when Alodar had asked if anyone recognized him, they all denied knowing him.

The man, Alodar was taken to the Elder's house to see him. It was there that he met the Three Witches. The strange trio were looked oddly at Alodar, but they felt great power from him. They were almost afraid. Bowing to Alodar, as is custom in the Island Tribes, they introduced themselves. "I am Pale", one mentioned. "I'm Dark" said the other. The other bowed her head in greeting, "And I"m Bright". Alodar bowed in return, "I am Alodar." He stated. "Why have I been taken here to the Elder's house?" He asked. There were slight chuckles from the witches. "We were wondering about you, Alodar. It seems that this village has an interest in you. You claim to come from a far away Tribe, but yet you know our language, from a dream?"

Alodar thought for a moment before answering. "Yes, I have had visions of this place for years. Having so many about it and then arriving here so suddenly is, disorienting to say the least." The Witches nodded at eachother, and spoke a little in their own tongue. Turning to Alodar they asked,"I see, what did you see in these dreams of yours?" Alodar took time explaining the nightmares, the good dreams, some of things had seen about this village. However, his young appearance made him alter the story to having some of these things left out. In truth he had been dreaming of this Tribe for what was thousands of years every night in the White City for decades, although he looked too young to have lived much past 30, let alone his real age.

The Witches gasped in amazement. Such stories seemed to have them excited. "Behold" Pale declared. "You have been sent to us to prevent your nightmares from happening. We have the answer to stopping your Nightmare from happening in your waking hours." Dark started to speak,"There are cannibals to the north who have been raiding the peaceful inlands for over one hundred years. These Tribes have fierce shamans that have tamed this dragon, this. . .Hydra of your dreams. If you destroy them, your Nightmares will not come to pass."

Alodar's face was serious. "I will do it!" He exclaimed. "Tell me where these cannibals are, and I will destroy them."
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2011-10-24 at 11:15 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

'Again!' Bellowed mighty Eliat, first among the hosts of Baz'Auran. The spirit of war flew at Carolinus, his sword a shimmering blur. With a great clash like celestial cymbals Carolinus brought his shield up and deflected the spirit's attack. To his left and right Eliat's subordinate spirits flew up practice dummies. Neither hit their marks. Carolinus deflected the spear of the one to his left with a tiny projection of his power, the exact required amount to deflect the spear's shaft so it missed the dummy's head by inches. The spirit to his right was harder, for it carried a two handed axe, he blocked it with a blunt warding, matching it strength for strength.

He jumped back while doing this, narrowly avoiding Eliat's second strike. When the third came he wrenched it aside and caught hold of Eliat's swordarm. To his left the battle spirit had dropped his spear and pulled a sword from his back. His mistake was to lunge, once again it was even to deflect the jabbing point aside. To his right the wicked axe swept down again but with the scant seconds he bought for himself by grabbing Eliat's arm he was able to block the attack more gracefully, a small sharp edge of a warding set before the sweep of the axe's haft sent the axe head spinning into the ground.

Eliat dropped his sword and twisted his hand about, somehow Carolinus found himself sailing through the air. He twisted and landed on his feet, just in time for Eliat's charge. By diving aside at the last second Carolinus bought himself the split second required to glance at the dummies and their attackers, once again he threw up the weakest wards he could to stop the incoming weapons.

Then he spun back to Eliat, just in time to block another thrust and launch a counter with almost got him disemboweled by Eliat's riposte. Eliat was so fast Carolinus usually had to block three of his strokes for each of his subordinates' attackers. When the third came Carolinus twisted Eliat's blade and disarmed him, behind his back both spirits found their swords once again confounded, leaving them wondering how he did it with his back turned.

'That took you too long.' Was all Eliat said as he retrieved his blade. 'Five!' Another three war spirits approached another three dummies 'Begin!'

Eliat looked and spoke as if he had been walking amid the gardens as he intoned in damning words 'You're distracted godling. On the battlefield that will kill you.'
    In contrast Carolinus was covered in sweat and sucking in great gasps of air 'I'm not distracted, I'm angry. But I take your lesson Eliat, that too can kill me.'
    'You managed no more than eight today, normally you master all thirty. Your anger will not kill you, it will kill those you would protect.'
    'I will think on that.'
    'Why are you angry?'
    'Many reasons great Eliat. I am angry Drohnen's vandalism was both permitted and unpunished, I am angry because I caused Alodar's banishment. I am angry because I must leave Cireo, I am angry I only managed eight today. There are many reasons, all of them good and all irrelevant because you are right Eliat. My anger will break the fidelity of my oath, so I must also put anger aside, I must face what it coming without its purifying fire.'
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2011-10-24 at 06:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Faden, Kahn, Daire

Faden finally drops his veil and speaks up as Marwaen and Anghau part company with his other siblings. "You wish to know of Alodar? I have just spoken with him. Or perhaps at him. He came to the court of our Father to offer us all gifts and apologize for everyone's faults and misdeeds but his own." His expression is merry, but his tone has a hint of aggravation in it.

He turns to join Kahn and Daire as they walk toward the vine trellises. "He also claimed that he was going to die soon, and in this, at least, he seemed sincere, although I am not quite certain that he is correct. I don't suppose Father mentioned to either of you that we would soon be missing a sibling...?"
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

The Summons

The blazing globe of the sun sank beyond the sight of the Well of Eternity, and as the children of Baz'Auran moved about their lives a single ringing peal echoed through the air. The sound faded, and for a moment the silence hung, as fragile and delicate as the purest glass. Then the glass shattered, as the bells in the Towers of the Most High answered their brother, great slabs of gold and silver and bronze resounding in a mighty chorus that summoned all to the Court of Baz'Auran, to the banquet that had been at the forefront of so many minds.

As the children of Baz'Auran entered the vast chamber, they saw the space had been filled with long tables of gleaming crystal, crowded with Spirits of the Highest Circle. Before the dais rose a great semicircular table, runes of power sparkling along its side, the chair around it empty in anticipation of the children. At either side of the towering throne of Baz'Auran sat Tezzerin and Eliat, resplendent in their glory undiminished. But not even the greatest of the Spirits could match the blazing power of Baz'Auran. His unbridled might wreathed him in a shifting garment of grey flame, flame that still paled in comparison to the shining glory of his eyes. Seeing the children, the Spirits of the Highest Circle rose in reverence, and Baz'Auran gestured to the table that had been prepared.

"Welcome, my children. Sit, for we have much to discuss."

As the voice of Baz'Auran faded, chalices of ambrosia rose from the assembled tables, accompanied by long platters piled high with the bounty of the White City. Before the Spirits rose only the shining fruits of the City's garden, sprinkled with dew that had been masterfully joined with the essence of Joy. Yet the godling children of Baz'Auran were of a different ken, and before them the platters of fruit were flanked by steaming platters of choice meats, some glistening with barely contained juices, others glazed in wafer thin crusts of Delight and Expectation. Yet upon the dais, the ruler of the White City neither ate nor drank, simply watching his chosen feast upon his bounty, silently awaiting the questions that were sure to come.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

10. - Top - End - #100

The Summons and the Banquet

Marwaen hadn't found anyone else, in her wandering; when the bells came, her head shot up like a bloodhound. She was not dressed for the occasion, but...she was wearing what she wore normally, and how much more dressed should she be than that? Looping her arms with her brother, she practically ran to the banquet, entering the chamber and taking her place with her siblings. And a fierce pride rose up in her, to see the First Spirits standing for them...she did not consider herself to be nearly as accomplished as the spirits, but sometimes it was nice to find the recognition she thought she deserved.

Her plate held much meat and very little else; near-bloody, the way she liked it. And though she did her best to have her table manners, it was difficult when everything was the best it could ever possibly be...

"Why have you called us, Father?" Her voice is low, but pitched loud enough that all may hear. "Is it about our journey? Are we finally going to be allowed to go?"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Banquet

Faden's head whips around as the bells toll, and he leaves the gardens quickly. He didn't have an expansive wardrobe - by choice, of course, since he could have improved on it if he wanted to - and so walked straight from the garden to the great hall.

As the consumable treasures piled up on the table, Faden's eyebrow rose. He takes the chalice before him while deciding what to eat - everything looked perfect. He stops and looks up at Marwaen when she asks her question of Baz'Auran, but says nothing, waiting on his Father's answer...

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

The Banquet

Baz'Auran looked down upon his willful daughter and allowed a slight smile to grace his face.

"Indeed, Marwaen. I know that you all have long awaited the time when you might seize your destiny, some with more patience than others, but the time is drawing nigh for you to bring my law to the Great Disk. This banquet is both to celebrate your impending ascension, and to allow you all one final chance to avail yourselves of the wisdom of the White City. For while I shall always remain to support you, it is my will that you find your own ways through the challenges reality will no doubt hold for you."

Baz'Auran turned his gaze to the entirety of his children, a collection complete save for one seat that was conspicuously empty.

"Surely my children have some final questions before their momentous journey?"

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Faden, Kahn, Daire

Kahn raises an eyebrow.

"Missing a sibling? I can't picture Father unmaking any of His creations like that."

Kahn shakes his head.

"Impossible. If Alodar was to meet an end in the White City, I would expect it to come from Father, and Father alone.

How can you predict His actions...unless Alodar was implying that He would do something to draw Father's anger."

The Summons

It wasn't long after, that a piercing sound reverberated throughout the garden. Kahn watched as Faden took His leave and walked away rather briskly.

Offering an arm to Daire, Kahn made His way to the banquet.

As He entered the banquet room, He couldn't help but grin. Marwaen was already wolfing down Her food, even before anyone else had arrived. And he couldn't blame Her. Everything looked --no, radiated-- Delicious, with a capital D.

Kahn held out a chair for Daire and seated Her, before grabbing a place for Himself. He reached out, took a rather large gulp of ambrosia from the chalice in from of Him, and let out a contented sigh.

He was going to miss some of these simple pleasures of food and drink.

Slowly, He piled food onto His plate, knowing that this meal may very well be His last decent meal for a very long time. A rather large filet de bśuf ailé (fillet of pegasus tenderloin) steak grilled to a medium rare pinkness. Little finger sized snails covered with runes. Eggs from some kind of fish, colored a deep black.

Sitting back down, Kahn couldn't help but notice one seat empty as everyone else gathered.

Daire was beside Him. Faden was across the table. Roselia was there and not there, but He could spot Her sitting 2 seats down. Marwaen was busy eating, while Jongo was chatting up a storm with Drohnen. Aurenel was gracing his entire half of the banquet room with a soft light while Alodar was doing the same with darkne--wait. Where was Alodar?

Now that He thought about it, it should have been rather obvious from the lack of unexpected shadows in the room.

At Baz'Auran's question, Kahn coughed, and raised his voice. "Father, what is the price of failure?"

He looked pointedly at the empty seat.
    Last edited by slurpz; 2011-10-25 at 12:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Player Registry link

Lolita avatar by neoseph7!

Spoiler
    Show

Epic meter: |

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

The Banquet

Baz'Auran's face grew solemn at Kahn's question, though he seemed pleased that one of his children had sought to inquire after Alodar.

"Failure, Kahn, is only a doorway through which you will gain a chance for redemption, and for wisdom. I placed Darkness is your brother's heart after his brazen attack upon Tezzerin, with the hope that he would reflect upon the suffering he was made to feel and realize the true enormity of his crime. Yet even in the White City, surrounded by proof of the miraculous powers of belief, Alodar refused to take redemption into his heart, instead allowing it to fester with bitterness and pride. He attempted to mask this further failure with gross acts of mutilation, yet his heart remained corrupted. A stronger punishment was called for, and thus I have sent him to endure life upon the Great Disk without my guidance or protection. He will experience true pain, rather than a simulacrum, and if he has learned anything he will temper his pride with humility. Pray he does so, Kahn, for if he instead falls further into darkness and narcissism I fear he may present a threat to all of you."

Baz'Auran gave a reassuring smile, attempting to dispel the dire portent of his words.

"But do not fear the Great Disk because of Alodar's fate. A place has been prepared for all of you, one that will test you, one that will draw forth your divine Spark, but not one that will try you overmuch. For you are my children who have not strayed, and for that I am grateful."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2011-10-25 at 12:55 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The Banquet

As Roselia prepared for the Banquet, she felt that, for once, she should do away with the illusions surrounding her. She dressed in her usual Dark, Conservative attire, but today she let her hair down and let the illusion over her face shift closer to that of her natural face. Not a complete match, of course, but similar enough for it to plausibly be her true appearance.

As she arrived at the banquet herself, she had been there in Illusory form five minutes already. However, she hadn't touched her food, which was a bit of a dead giveaway. When she reached her seat, dispelling the illusion, she continued her silence and took a bite of her food. It wasn't at all bad, but she ate minimally. No need for her to make a hog of herself.

However, she listened to the dialogue between Kahn and Father with significant interest: Roselia, at her heart, was an inquisitive and curious person, and uncannily good at detecting lies for what they were. The truth was what she actually sought for herself, even if she used lies and illusions to mask it from others. So she merely listened. It's likely worth noting that Rose has spoken not a single word this day. The other siblings have good reason to be suspicious.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

The Summons

Jongo was getting bored. Caro wasn't noticing her at all. He was about to say something to her less than beautiful brother, when the bells went off.

They were - in contrast to Caromagica - stunning and glorious. They rang clear and true, yet Jongo could feel the random vibrations that they made within the air to create the sound. It was... indescribable.

"Father calls!" Jongo tugged at Caro's clothing, and then let go, to dodge through alleys and corridors, to get back to the Courtroom faster.

Once in the courtroom, Jongo looked around, and the small human child's eyes grew large in amazement. All the various foods and things everywhere.

Taking a seat next to Drohnen, Jongo found a roasted animal - possibly a pig - with an apple in it's mouth. Smiling at Drohnen, Jongo snagged the apple from the pig's mouth, and balanced it on his nose. After wobbling back and forth for a bit, Jongo bobbed her head quickly, and tossed the apple in the air a bit, then opened his mouth and bit down hard on the fruit to catch it in her teeth. It was juicy, and sweet, and crisp all at the same time. But the fun part was the juice dribbling down Jongo's face in a way that he couldn't predict.

Jongo listened as Baz'Auran spoke, and her mind began to whirl at the prospect of asking whatever questions he could think of.

...but where to start?

Looking up at the ceiling of the Courtroom, Jongo became lost in thought.

"Father? Will we be allowed to visit?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Turning his attention to Jongo, Baz'Auran seemed almost amused by the question. Yet Jongo had observed Baz'Auran far more than any of the other divine children, and behind Baz'Auran's amusement he thought he could detect the faintest hint of sadness. It was a passing thing, quickly subsumed in Baz'Auran's glory, but it was almost certainly there.

"Of course, Jongo. Once you have awakened the full potential of the Spark within you, any of you will be free to return to the White City. Do not count on us for constant support though - the troubles of the Great Disk will benefit most from a solution born of it. Remember always-"

A dull rumble interrupted Baz'Auran, spreading through the entire hall. Despite their divine constitutions, the godlings felt themselves grow ill at its touch, something in them recoiling from the essence behind the tremor. It passed slowly, dying with a malicious whisper, and as it did silence reigned in the Court. All eyes turned towards Baz'Auran, who seemed frozen in his throne, eyes wide and staring. A heartbeat passed, then two, and suddenly Baz'Auran was on his feet, eyes still locked on the emptiness directly before him. No god or spirit had ever seen him in such a state, and were it not ludicrous they might have realized the emotion emanating from their lord was raw, primal, fear.

No blink would ever pass those shining orbs, yet with a start Baz'Auran seemed to recover from his trance, swiveling his head sharply towards Tezzerin. She found a terrible secret in his glare, as her entire being seemed to waver beneath it.

"Tezzerin, take my children and-"

Once again, the supreme Creator was interrupted, not by a tremor but by a terrible echoing screech. As the Court sat motionless, a crack appeared in the wall behind Baz'Auran, the crystal crumbling beneath some incredible force. As the last vestiges of the wall gave way, Casimir doubled over screaming, his mind assailed by the very wailing of the stars, and the rest of the divine children beheld a Darkness unmatched by any space within creation. The blot of nothingness writhed against the walls of the Court, reducing more and more crystal to charred dust, and without warning innumerable tendrils shot from its core, racing towards the godlings, filling each with the certainty that a single touch would be their doom. But a star interposed itself between them and destruction, Baz'Auran blazing with a radiance that shamed the figure the children had grown accustomed to. Grasping the crackling tendrils of utter black in his hands, he bellowed in a voice that brought blood flowing from the ears of his children.

TEZZERIN GET THEM OUT OF HERE!

At once the First Spirit of Knowledge took to the air, drawing the attention of the panicked spirits in the court. Gesturing to the godlings, she called out in a voice made high by need and terror.

"They must away! Take them!"

Instantly, some semblance of order seemed to return to the assembled spirits. From their number rose the greatest of the Spirits of Haste, twelve winged things lacking legs in favor of a great finned tail. Launching themselves into the air, they scooped up the stunned godlings in their arms before racing from the Court.

The Fall

The children and their protectors had barely passed the arching entrance to the Court of Baz'Auran when the towering crystal edifice shattered without a sound, sending daggers of clear gemstone crashing to the ground. The Highest Spirits of Haste were unmatched in their speed, but the children still managed to catch a glimpse of their father, blazing like a wildfire in his grappling of the great Darkness that jutted like a terrible pillar from a blazing hole in the sky. Staring at the gaping wound, the children saw flaming shards of black crystal tear themselves from the black pillar. Yet even as the Spirits of Haste dodged the barrage of deadly flames, passing the burning gardens of the Tenfold Paths, the children stared transfixed at the gaping hole of darkness and fire above them, for in it they alone saw a pair of blazing eyes. In that fell gaze, the children of Baz'Auran felt themselves reduced to gnats, to pale crawling things whose only purpose, whose only hope, was to be crushed by a Power beyond their comprehending. And then their eyes were torn from those baleful orbs, the Spirits of Haste diving through the Well of Eternity with such alacrity that the children almost didn't see the twisted remains of their once-proud ship and the dark, bloody things that crawled from the flaming lance that had reduced it to twisted scrap.

Reaching the night sky, the children gasped as they passed the shimmering barrier between the White City and the world beyond, the biting cold of the air sending their teeth to chattering. In that moment of passage, they felt themselves indescribably diminished, their Sparks withdrawing deeper into bodies that seemed somehow infinitely more real. In their moment of confusion, some found the single eye of a Spirit, gazing at them with something bordering sympathy and understanding, before widening in silent terror. The Spirits spared each other a glance before splitting like a school of frightened fish, and as they sped into the night the children noticed the wilting feathers on their outermost wings. The Spirits flew rapidly, yet the strange rot outpaced even them, until by the time they reached the ground the children could tell that their protectors were nearly blind with pain. The Spirits could not even manage to speak before fleeing back into the night air, racing away from whatever terrible affliction had befallen them, leaving the children in every corner of the Great Disk to stare up at the shining globe of the White City

At first, it seemed almost serene in the night quiet, the brilliance of the White City undiminished in the distance. Yet as the children watched, a single red stain appeared on the shining facade, then another, an another, until the moon had become a bloodstained clot upon the sky. The children could not tear their gazes from that crimson wound until the son arose, and banished it from their sight. In its place, the children saw a land untamed, oceans raging against the unyielding bastions of shadowed cliffs, the tangle of forests that did not yet know the bite of the axe, mountains that exploded into molten fire without respite only to birth new mountains, the undulating sea of verdant grasslands, and endless wastes of ice and of sand. And from every point on the Disk, rising from the center of the world, miles high peaks that seemed to scrape the very stars themselves. But wherever they were, in the light of day the children were faced with a singular realization - they were alone.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2011-10-25 at 06:50 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

After The Fall

Jongo was in the ocean.

He could feel something. It was her clothing. It was wet.

He stared around as the waves rolled to and fro, and the salty air assaulted her small human child form. No land was nearby, but a tall mountain was in the distance, to the west.

Jongo couldn't think. There were no stray thoughts. There was only emptiness. And the now.

The now said that a human child could not swim in the water for long. Even with a godling's strength, after watching the sun rise to push back to bloody moon, his human form was tiring.

The taste of the apple - so sweet, so clear, so crisp - was being replaced by salt water splashing into Jongo's mouth. She closed it, and began to concentrate. Closing his eyes, Jongo found she could continue swimming atop the water, and breathe fine; if heavy and tired breaths.

Concentrating, focusing on one thing, was very very difficult for Jongo. The random thoughts, the ideas, the distractions; they were all fun. One thought? Not fun. Jongo tried three, and it was easier.

Breath in. Breath out. Swim.

Baz'Auran. The White City.

Jongo began to sink.

"NO. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no! NO!" Protesting to the waves themselves seemed to do little, but it brought Jongo back around.

Someone - or something - had attacked the White City. Had hurt Father. Something made Him sad, and afraid. Father was NEVER sad or afraid. He was Father, the great Baz'Auran.

But something had made Him sad, and something had made Him afraid. Someone - or something - had burst into the Courtroom.

Something had destroyed the ceiling, above the Dias. Something had destroyed the ceiling.

There was a small flare, as a bit of Chaos raged.

And Jongo found he could concentrate. Gills. Gills formed on the human child's neck. Webbing. Webbing on the toes, and between the fingers. She felt his eyes change, ever so slightly, and found the water didn't sting anymore; only the tears stung now.

A part of Jongo's brain, a part that was slowly recovering from the shock of what had happened, made itself known. Jongo couldn't contain herself. He began to giggle, despite the tears.

"FISHY! I'm a fishy! Wheeeee!"
    Last edited by Gengy; 2011-10-25 at 06:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

In those days long gone
    The Prophet fell from Heaven
    For nine days he fell
    Wreathed in fire and torment
    Til he shattered the mountains

He burned for six days
    And six nights, then rose and cried
    His words none now know
    He cloaked himself in light and
    Went out from that place in glory

To the Anata
    Brigands and foul despoilers
    He came, bringing peace
    They gave him man's clothes, all white
    That he might cover his face

A horse they gave him
    All-white, the finest of all
    That they ever stole
    He told them of Bazaran
    His all-glorious chieftain

The Prophet went on
    From that place, bringing good news
    To all desert-sons
    He spoke of Bazaran and
    He spoke of his perfect tents

Tellers of fortune
    He sought, and mad soothsayers
    He spoke of a war
    Among his people, and an
    Enemy of dark dreaming

They spoke, it is said
    Of a sword forged in the sun
    Brighter than noonday
    Then their tongues were taken by
    Some strange demon, who spoke thus:

She awaits you in
    The Place Where There Is No End
    In the dark, she waits
    Her grim chains are broken, see?
    Now she will make mad the earth

The Prophet rode on
    Seeking the sword, seeking death
    He spoke of his king
    To all the peoples, who did
    Recant their ways and were saved

They say his hair was
    A veil of light cast over
    His broad, straight shoulders
    That he stood taller than any
    Even the strongest hunters

He wore bright armor
    Beneath his white robes, which no
    Sword could ever pierce
    He carried no weapon, for
    He was stronger than lions

The Prophet rode on
    Searching for his fated sword
    Spreading the good word
    Of almighty Bazaran
    And doing many great deeds
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The Past, In The White City

Alodar remembered himself, he was much younger. During his days as barely more than a child, his lessons with Tezzerin. In her teachings, Alodar succeeded quite well in the beginning. As vain as ever, he never shunned the others, not even Auranel in the beginning, despite his arrogant attitude, he was still a loving brother. Ah, but then came The Day. The Day that Tezzerin, that wretched thing barked at him with the ever-outstreched claws of a dog in heat. He looked back on his time with her lessons.

"Alodar, what is the most powerful Force in the the universe? And why?" She asked seriously. In the class, Alodar, who was among others, except for a few were out for a little while, thought for a moment, wondering if he should answer, finally after a few moments he spoke. "You have taught us the powers and strengths of all of our interests. You have taught us of the might of war, the power of nature, the deep, reaching power of knowledge, the perplexing vanities of illusion; you have taught of us of the far-reaching grasp of fate, and prophecy, and many other powers are there for us. The one that reaches out to me above all else is the power of Darkness. It's strength is deeper than that of the any of the others, inifinitely by far. However you have not taught us of that, and I wonder why?" Tezzerin appeared to grow a little angry at Alodar's response, and it seemed the obsessed Alodar didn't notice, in his obsession and adoration of his newfound love. "The Power of Darkness is the most alluring of all of my interests, and I can do more with that than any of the simple things that I have ever learned." Tezzerin grew furious, and for a few moments, she gave the appearance of calming down. Then she spoke the damning words that would spark Alodar's later attempt at taking the shrew's life. "Alodar, you are not worthy to be your Father's son. You are the most foolish in all the White City, and you are not fit to be taught here, get out immediately."

Later

Tezzerin had appeared to be deep in meditation, not knowing who would come and disturb her. A moment had passed since a very dark, strange presence disturbed her greatly. Her senses seemed to be blocked from the source, and, unable to think clearly, the first and hopefully for her the last time she would be unable to think clearly, she opened her eyes and saw that the entire area she was in was pitch black, a moving shadow, darker than the entire pitch black, suddenly lept out at her with fangs bared. Tezzerin managed to grab the wolf by his neck, and her powers banished the darkness from the area. Still however, the pitch black, wolven Alodar remained in her hand. The wolf bit down, snarling on her wrists, drawing the First Spirit's ichor. As Tezzerin, her senses completely restored to her, realized it was Alodar, she flung him agains the wall, slamming him hard against it. Alodar appeared to be licking and savoring her blood that he had drawn hungrily, and it sickened her. Then suddenly Eliat appeared, in a confused state. "What in Baz'Auran's?" he began. The wolf immediately began to insanely laugh in a strange, canine cackle, blinding Eliat, if only for a moment, before he lunged at Eliat's throat. The wolf found himself, however, in another chokehold, this time by Eliat, and was knocked unconcious with a hard blow from his fist. Then came the Trial in Court, which was well known by the others.

Alodar And the Three Witches

It had been a little time, a mere month after the Witches sent him to take the northern Tribes. At the time it took for him to get there, he was curious as to why they would bother. Why would they attack the Andrais tribes and the tribes south of them when it took so much effort and time to get there. Well, nonetheless, he encountered a strange sight. He noticed that there was an old man, who already noticed Alodar before the godchild could see him. Startled, Alodar looked curiously at the old man. "Sir, I am new to these parts." He spoke in the Island's tongue. "Could you tell me where I may find shelter for the night?" The Old Man smiled,"Yes, please come and stay in my abode. It is the custom of my people to take weary travelers and house them in the Elder's place for hospitality's sake."

An hour later, night had finally fallen, and Alodar was curious. "So Amos, you say that there are no cannibal tribes in the North?" The old man laughed. "No, no cannibalistic tribes here. They hasn't been ever since the death the previous High Shaman in the South's death." Hearing news of this Shaman, his curiosity was peaked. "Ah, I see. What is this High Shaman of the South?" The old man thought for a moment. "He was a man of integrity and honor. His blessings brought a good hunt to the Tribes, and he killed many Chaos Beasts with the cooperation of the entire Island. For a while there was peace before the Beasts returned. But he was murdered by Three evil women. These women combined their powers together, and tamed the great Hydra, murdering the Shaman and his entire Tribe, the Cornar Tribe."
    Three Witches, Alodar thought, now this was interesting. "What were these witch'es names?" He asked. Finally, the old man was growing tired, and needed rest. "They were called "Pale", "Dark" and "Bright." That was an eery fact that Alodar was glad to know. He slept for a full night and began his journey back home.

Meanwhile
    The Witches saw Alodar through the scrying crystal. "We must kill him before he returns." Bright exclaimed. Dark thought for a moment, "We were wise to keep our facades so skillfuly in our domination of the Andrais Tribe. We must kill them all so our new weapon doesn't suspect anything." Pale picked up what appeared to be a key and walked over to the enormous rune inscribed, steel bars. "Hydra, the time for your supper has approached. Go toe the Andrais village and kill them all."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Jongo's Sea

Jongo had begun to think of this little bit of ocean as his. She'd swam back and forth along it multiple times, and found the islands to the east, the large entrancing mountains to the west, the plains of another continent to the south, and two more land masses to the north.

And yet, for weeks, Jongo remained mostly in the water. When he became hungry, she would leave for shore and eat seaweed, or find fish or fruit. It all tasted like the apple. Or rather, the apple still overpowered their taste.

This was starting to annoy Jongo. Only the whispering was more annoying.

Oh, the apple was tasty, true.

But who wants to taste the same thing, over and over again? Especially when it causes you to cry?

That wasn't fair.

That wasn't fair AT ALL.

Mostly, though, Jongo was lonely. The whispering never said anything worth talking about.

From watching Father upon His great dais, Jongo knew quite a bit about the peoples spread throughout the Great Disk. Jongo even knew about some of the creatures created - originally - from Father's nightmares. Father had taken a few, and to Jongo's great delight, changed them to be slightly different, and more pleasing to Baz'Auran.

So it was with great delight that Jongo finally found the Mermaid. With a complete green finned tail, twice as large as the rest of the upper human body, the Mermaid was an amalgamation of both fish and human, much like Jongo currently was; but Jongo was like this in desperation, and the Mermaid was like this from Baz'Auran's blessing.

The godling heard her sing first. In the water, sound carried easily, if you could hear it right. Jongo seemed to remember one of his siblings saying something like that. And to hear the mermaid sing, one could easily believe why Baz'Auran made it so.

Jongo approached the Mermaid with caution; though she was more fish then the godling, she was also more predator. But she was the first thing besides a full on fishy fishy fish that Jongo might be able to speak with.

So that is why Jongo approached so slowly, from the front, so the Mermaid could see each of Jongo's pitiful strokes.

Moving twice as fast as Jongo could even think, the godling soon found herself surrounded by the Mermaid's tail.

"Child, what are you?" The Mermaid spoke, and a part of Jongo realized it wasn't really speech, not underwater; but the godling didn't care.

Jongo had a question. And someone to ask! The whispering never answered Jongo's questions.

"I am Jongo. You sing pretty. What's your name? Where are we? Are there more mermaids like you near here? Why is your hair green?"

Ok. Jongo had ALOT of questions. Assaulted by the godling's curiosity, the Mermaid looked amused.

"My name is Merilain. We're here. No, sadly, not near here, and my hair has always been green. But you are right. I am a mermaid. And you are a jongo? Are there more jongos like you? What is your name?"

"No, no, no. I AM Jongo. That's my name. There shouldn't be more then one Jongo. At least, Father never made more than one that I know of."

"Father?"

"Baz'Auran."

Jongo looked up, and saw that Merilain had swum away, quite quickly. The Mermaid seemed to react in fear of the name, and was ducking into a cave on the ocean floor nearby.

"Wait! I have more questions!"

"Please, oh Blessed One, leave me be. I do not wish to die." The Mermaid's voice came from within the cave, as Jongo swam closer.

"Die? I'm not Kahn. Kahn is scary."

"But it was the sky that burned and slew my family. Fires fell from it, and even the moon bled red. And now you are here to finish me."

Jongo was stunned. To think that... It wasn't the... How could...

"That. Wasn't. Father."

Merilain's face came out from the cave, and she almost ran into Jongo, who had just reached the cave entrance.

"How do I know?"

"Because I said so. And I'm not my sister Rose. But even she, with all her fun words, wouldn't lie about this. And if she would, that would make me sad." Jongo looked at Merilain with his grey and green eyes, and continued. "Father wouldn't do this to your family. I watched Him make things. He loved everything He made. Even mermaids. Father wouldn't do this."

Jongo, though underwater, began to cry. "He wouldn't!"

The godling found arms wrap around him, as the Mermaid hugged him. She tried to console him, "Shhhh, shhhh, shhh... As you say, Blessed One. Please, do not cry."

After a while, Merilain spoke again. "Great Jongo, why are you here then, if not to kill me?"

"I don't know, Merilain. I keep... I keep hoping someone will come find me. Come get me. When the moon bled red, Father's children - me and my siblings - fell down to the Great Disk. Every time I got lost in the White City, right after I was born, if I stayed in one place long enough, someone would find me. So, though I've wanted to go exploring, I've stayed here. I was hoping someone would find me. Drohnen, or Rose, or even the meanie Mahan. But it's been weeks. They aren't coming, are they?"

"You are just a child, then?"

"I am as old as the First Question, but my birth happened last. Only once Father knew everything, was he no longer curious. Only then, could I come out." Even Jongo couldn't stand being called a child.

"Forgive me, Blessed One. I did not mean to offend."

"No, Merilain. You didn't. I just... I'm acting like a child. And the form I'm in doesn't help. I've... I've been stuck. And I can't change. And the whispering is SO ANNOYING." Jongo heard a full blast of the strange sounds, like voices, but saying nothing. "How do you stand it, Merilain?"

"Whispering, oh Jongo? I hear none."

"What? But it's coming from everywhere. It gets louder the closer I get to the... No. No. Wait. Of course! Ha! Hahahahahaha!" Jongo began to laugh in delight, and swam out of Merilain's arms. "Merilain! I know what to do! I know what to do!"

"I do not understand, Blessed One. What are you hearing? It gets louder when? What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to fix everything! I'll just change it! It's not whispering I'm hearing! It's the voice of change! Quick! What's the fastest way to the edge of the Disk?" Jongo could no longer stand still. She was full of ideas once again. It was perfect. It could work! And Jongo would be the one to do it, and everyone would be surprised.

"The edge, oh Jongo? You mean... where... where the water falls away? No one goes there, it's dangerous. The currents could suck you away."

"Yes! There! How do I get there?"

Merilain looked concerned, but only said, "You are the Blessed One..."

Swimming from her cave, Merilain sat atop a nearby rock, and began to sing again. It was beautiful, more beautiful than before. Jongo could feel that she was calling for someone.

It almost distracted Jongo from his idea. Almost. But this was too good of an idea. It could work. It should work. It would work!

Merilain's call soon brought three grey skinned creatures, with long stubby noses, and chattering speech. They playfully swam through the water, and circled around the Mermaid.

"Dolphins!"

"They are my friends. They will help guide you to the edge. Be careful, oh Blessed One."
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Alodar's Return
    Alodar returned. Immediately, Alodar was in shock. The village hovels were all burned. He found both skeletons, part ash and part bone. He saw that the bones were everywhere. Suddenly his nightmares returned to him, and as Alodar fell to his knees, he began to mourn for the bodies of his family and friends once more. He quickly searched the small village for any sign of life. He found down, all he found was broken and shattered bones, and ash.

"NOOO!" Alodar cried. Tears fell from his dark eyes. "What has happened here?" Suddenly, as he was mourning, he received a strange feeling. He began to remember his old village in his dreams and nightmares. And suddenly, a thought occured to him. There were no witches in his dreams. Maybe they were still alive. Whatever curse had fallen upon the village may not have to fallen upon the old crones.

To the East there were Ceremonial, Sacred Caves, not far from the village that the people used rituals for. Alodar hurridly made his way to them. It was a short journey, not more than three miles. In time, the godchild made his way to them. Roars and high pitched screaching was heard throughout the whole Caverns. Alodar was frightened deeply, and he could feel his heart beating fast.

However, when the screachind roars stopped, he continued further through the Caves. Suddenly he came to a large room, noticing the voices of the Three Witches.

"What happened to our Seeing Crystal?"

The Witches were obviously upset. "Nothing could break our Crystal. Nothing here."

Pale thought for a moment, and then realized something. "Well, we'd better make preperations for Alodar's return. What are we going to say?" Alodar listened closely. Dark seemed to be in contemplation for a moment before she answered. "We'll tell him there was a terrible fire!" Then Bright thought, "Yes, but a fire from what? We've got the only dragon in the entire Island. A godchild from Baz'Auran will know we've done this." Alodar's eyes grew a little angry, but he didn't know what to think yet. "We went a little over the edge when we ordered it to burn everyone alive. I think it's angry that we wouldn't let it eat."

"Hydra is escaping from our bondage. We must not let him loose in this state or he will kill us!"

"The Charm. The Charm Of Night will not work."

"But it's ALWAYS WORKED?"

Alodar suddenly grew with fury. It seemed as if the Hydra will be released soon, but the Witch'es fear should be for Alodar, not the dragon. The fires in the Cavern suddenly blew out, and there were gasps. "N. . . nothing can snuff out the magical fires." Suddenly, Bright gurgled in unpleasant surprise as she felt her throat slashed. There was a smirk in the dark. "Prepare to DIE, BUTCHERS OF CHILDREN!"
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2011-10-26 at 12:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kalandor's Fall

Kandor had been on the edge of the city, practising woodland combat with a small group of martial spirits. Short bouts of travel stopped with ambushes, hit and run combat. Kandor's staff had several nicks, his armour with gouges, the martial spirits had their own injuries, dented armour and bruises, one even had his weapons shattered, and was fighting him currently unarmed. Then the call came, and he had to stop his staff a centermeter away from a spirits face, almost breaking a nose. 'You heard that to, right?"
    "Yes, it is time to leave Kandor."
    "I was hopeing for more time. It will be sad, Alador."
    "Aye, let's go, It's time for me to see my family."

The group gathered their equipment, quickly restoring themselves, and started off towards the banquet. It would be a long walk, even when sped up by the plane. It was soon after that Baz'Auran's voice reached the party. It was filled with power. With a few short words Kandor was sentflying towards the walls that bound the plane. He was never picked up by a spirit of haste, just thrown from the plane, Baz'Auran's words still ringing in his ears. Then he broke through the walls, his grunt of pain never reaching his ears as he sped past the sound, and began his downward descent.

He plummeted through the skys towards the disc. 'Time, There wasn't enough time...' He spoke, watching the great realm blot with red. He felt himself falling, and tiliting to see his destination and the once proud city. He saw a dark green area grow larger even as the white city grew to a blodied read. 'A forest, Im going towards a forest... Thrown from the cities forest to the discs forest... I know someones laughing at me...'
    Then he knew nothing, mercifully blacking out before hitting the forest, the only child not to watch the city disapear in the dawn.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Alodar And The Witches

Suddenly the flames from the torches re-ignited, revealing the now dead witch formerly known as Bright, with Alodar standing over her with a bloodied dagger. The two others, Dark and Pale began to cast fiery spells towards Alodar, as the fireballs flew towards him, simply disapated in an eery darkness that protected him. Alodar kept his smile, "Your puny spells cannot overcome me!" He stated strongly. They began another spell, this time, a lightning bolt. Alodar was cast against the stone wall of the caves hard, feeling the full impact of the hard stone.

They continued to fire their electrical stream, as they found that thunder was an effective spell against Alodar. The godchild was knocked back once again, feeling defeated. However, as he lay there and the Witches approached him, he could not help but notice how high up into the mountain in the Caverns he could look up to in their room. It seemed as if the blackness would go on forever. This is what gave him an idea. He stretched forth his hands towards the Darkness, seemingly calling out to it, and from the Darkness came a swarm of razor winged black creatures, bats!

The bats swarmed the two witches, slowly biting and cutting them with their razor sharp teeth. The Hydra began to force it's Cage Gate open as the swarm was attacking the two witches fiercely, although their numbers were beginning to thin. The godchild made his way, unharmed by the razor winged creatures he had summoned, towards the now distracted foe. The scratches and cuts, and bites on the two crones were not severe, but Alodar had managed to close in behind Dark, and as she turned to see the godchild in front of her, he moved in for the kill, plunging the dagger into her chest. This left only the last remaining enemy, Pale, to be dealt with. With the loss of power from Dark, Pale could no longer summong lightning, but she was now too close for Alodar for him to dissipate the fires she could conjure with his magical darkness. The godchild was thrown another dozen feet, this time he had slammed against the wall again, and so he brought himself to his feet. Pale, who was tired, began to cast another spell towards Alodar when she was burned alive, into a skeleton from behind by Hydra, who's head had finally punched a whole through it's Cage Gate.

Quickly Alodar had to think how he could do this, and so Alodar noticed that this room, contained many shelves with books. One of the books was mysteriously, and conveniently written in Andrais.The book that was written in his Tribe's language was called "Night Charm." The godchild quickly took it. Alodar saw everything written in the spell book, without needing to open the cover through his command over the dark arts. He turned, to see Hydra's three heads roaring at him. He was nearly afraid, but his hatred and rage over losing his Tribe overcame all semblence of fear. Tossing aside the book to the floor, Alodar raised his hand,

"Charm Of Darkness I command you to obey your Master. Enter within the dragon. Hydra, FALL INTO THE DEEP NIGHT OF TERROR." The Hydra gave it's loudest screach and roar yet, this time, of sheer terror. It feel down as if all of it's heads had been knocked with a fist from Baz'Auran himself.(Poetic hyperbole) Lost in an ever consuming Nighmtare, Alodar smirked. "You will suffer. You will suffer in the eternal night of your terror, until your body wastes away from hunger, I will not let you die. You will wear away until your body decays and there is nothing but hollow bones. Yet you will live. You will live forever in agony for what you did to me, and my Tribe." Alodar heard the Hydra's spirit scream in torment, and he laughed.
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2011-10-27 at 11:53 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

The Fall

Marwaen had grabbed, instinctively, for her brother when the walls had started shaking and her father had started yelling; when the Spirit came, to take them away, she snarled as it tried to separate them. If it thought that she would be going to the surface without Anghau, that she would be flown away from all she ever knew alone...she would rather die here, in the City, than have that happen. Because for all her strength, Marwaen needed her brother. Without him...she felt disconnected. And so the spirit took them both; Marwaen dropped her swords, in the last instant. They would be too heavy, with their combined weight and the weight of their weapons...and they were beautiful things, but she would see them again.

She would be home again soon.

Wouldn't she?

The thought lingered in her mind as she watched their carrier-spirit fling itself away, howling in anguish; she wound her arms around herself, and for a moment...she was afraid. Only a moment; then the warmth of her brother's arms enveloped her as well, and she sighed, leaning into Anghau's comfort.

"...At least we were not dropped into the ocean..." Anghau's voice was quiet, as he looked around them; there were trees on one side, the beginnings of what appeared to be a vast forest, and on the other rose the peaks of mountains. But there was nothingness around them...

"Is this our test?" Marwaen's eyes roved the area, and she frowned. "Do you think it was all...for show? Do you think this whole thing is our test, and Father has just...wanted us to be scared?"

"It is possible. Come." Anghau pulled away; Marwaen glanced at the mountains, then shook her head, and headed for the woods.

"If it is our test, there should be more chance of food in the woods. Rui told me once. Lots of animals live in here...and there's wood, so...fire. If I can remember how to make fire...Daire showed me, but I don't know if...it doesn't matter. Come on."

And so the siblings headed into the woods, unknowing of what awaited them.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Alodar, Burned Ruins

Alodar returned to the village of Andrais. Seeing what happened here, he fell to his knees once again. The village of Andrais was no more. Neither were it's killers. Alodar began his mourning over those who were now in the grave. Something inside Alodar began to feel. . . strange. He looked towards just to the north of the village, where he had build the village Longhouse in his dreams. There he searched through the ash and found something strange. He did not remember Elsemere being in this village before. Were those times that Alodar lived as Elder of the Andrais not just a living dream? To his astonishment, Alodar had seen what appeared to be his final ray of hope. A gemstone ring that Alodar had made in the dream for his beloved Elsemere. But how? How was this here? The villagers did not know how to make something like this. . .

Alodar A Year Later
    Alodar visited the ruins often, living alone in sorrow, with the memories of his beloved Andrais Tribe. His new home in the Sacred Caverns was a place where he spent occupying his time in study of the Witch'es books. He had thought to fill his time with study and work so he could forget what had happened to his village, although time had yet to heal that wound. The godchild spent his days in gathering the mushrooms and herbs, and other fruits that grew around the village. Occasionally he would even hunt. Eventually Alodar grew tired of his days of living alone, but he would not dare fall in love with another tribe once again and risk losing them.

Alodar began his short journey back to the burned village when suddenly, he noticed something very strange. There was a naked woman, who appeared to be unconcious on the ground. The godchild was surprised, to say the least. What was anyone doing here alone, let alone without clothing. Alodar had attempted to wake the mysterious stranger, to no avail. It was then that he took her carefully into the Cave. Here it was that he took his knowledge of herbs and awoke her.

She awoke slowly, after a few moments, and her eyes looked up to him.
    "Who are you?" she asked in surprise to see him. "What am I doing here, and why am I naked?" Alodar wondered those exact same things. "I don't know the answer to either of those two questions. What is your name?" As the mysterious woman thought to herself she seemed even more confused. "I don't know. I can't remember." Alodar's eyes narrowed to reveal a look of curiosity. "I see. Well then, if that isn't something you don't see everyday I don't know what is."

Alodar and this woman, would be the only company they would have for a while. Finally, a week later Alodar came to call her by her appearance. "Night-Flower." Alodar always did love the flowers of his garden more than any of the flowers in the White City. "Night-Flower" Alodar began to ask, "I know that it has been only a short while since you had first come here, but I have come to suspect that you didn't just come from anywhere. I think you should know something as well. Neither am I, just from any Tribe. I am the child of Baz'Auran, from the White City. This is a thing that I have decided to not keep a secret." Night-Flower was confused, "Baz'Auran, the Creator?" She asked. "Are you telling me the truth?" It was then that Alodar confirmed with a nod. "I am indeed."

As the weeks, days, and even a couple of years went by. They fell in love. Alodar forgot his wretched days in the White City, and regarded them as trash. "Night-Flower, as I am your doctor, and your lover, I have great news!" He exclaimed. "Yes, it is as we have hoped for, a son." Night Flower was overcome with happiness. "Alodar, this is wonderful! How can we ever forget this moment?" It was then that Alodar began to soften his heart. He had noticed that the White City had turned red, but this ominous warning did not occur to him to mean anything. Not that he cared what happened to Baz'Auran or some of his siblings, well most of his siblings, but he simply had other things on his mind. "Maybe Father was right, in a way." Alodar suggested to himself.

Finally, nine months later, Alphador was born. Alodar's knowledge of herbs kept his lover from death, as many mothers suffer when they deliver a child. Eventually Alodar had come to the conclusion that he would finally find a Tribe and forget his life near the Andrais burned village if only to live with his lover, Night-Flower. Their days were filled with happiness and joy for another year as a family. Finding a village called the Dar, they were a respected couple, and Alodar had even acted as a Tribal shaman for a short while, healing many wounds and acting as healer. Many lives were saved from Alodar's knowledge of herbs he had gained from the Sacred Caverns.

And yet, the time to love had passed. Several months after Alodar had came to the Dar village, Night-Flower had suddenly fallen ill. Alodar rested her in a hut and burned incense for her, feeding her herbs and soothing her. The sickness began as an overwhelming fever at first. Suddenly her fever turned into sweats, and then she began to sweat blood from her skin. Alodar did his best as healer for seven days, but in the end, the time came for her to die. Alodar knelt by her death bed with tears in his eyes. "Flower, my flower, don't go." She touched his cheek, and then died.

But then it was not to end. Shortly thereafter, Alphador, their son, contracted the same disease that killed Night Flower. Within two days, his son had died. Alodar, distraught, slept that night with the same dreams. First it was Elsemere, and then the village, and then it was Night Flower. And then Alphador. Alodar's nights for the next three days were filled with agony. He had seen Elsemere and Night Flower, with Alphador all burning in flames. The nightmare would never cease. Elsemere and Night Flowers burning scream of agony, and his son's wailing would be etched across his mind.

Then, one night, as suddenly as Alodar came to the Dar Tribe, he left, returning to the Andrais Sacred Caverns. Baz'Auran thought to use the Darkness as a Curse. As Alodar felt the hatred rise in him against the Creator, he only intensified it with further obsession. He looked to his days in the White City, "If only you would have punished me, and not everything that I have loved, I would not have hated. If only you would have sought to place this curse upon me, I would not have hated. My love of you stayed when I found the ring of Elsemere in the village. It even grew as I loved Night Flower, and I even FORGAVE you for giving me Alphador. Father, I forgive you no more. You who make the world only for your pet ants to suffer and burn. You are no god, but a devil. You thought to curse me with the darkness and sent me to the Great Disk to teach me repentance, but I see now you are evil.

"And with evil I will repay. I will become it's MASTER!" Alodar spoke with gutteral loathing in his tone. The Darkness festered and ran throughout every fiber of Alodar's being and he let it flow like blood in his body. "I swear Baz'Auran, I will become greater than you. I will become more powerful than you ever were, and I will cause vengeance to fall upon you. You will suffer," Alodar began to speak of the godchildren. "YOU WILL ALL SUFFER! FATHER! SIBLINGS! YOU WILL SUFFER THE TORMENT OF A THOUSAND HELLS!" It was then that Alodar accepted the Curse of Darkness as more than a lesson of disciplinary action by Baz"Auran and instead, a weapon.

The Darkness coursed through Alodar. All darkness throughout the universe made it's mark as Alodar's tortured, and pained mourning declaration of vengeance could be heard for miles, if anyone was around to hear it. All love of Baz'Auran was gone, and there, Alodar would refuse Baz'Auran as a father ever again. "I DENOUNCE YOU, CREATOR!" It was no more than eternal torment that Alodar wished on Baz"Auran and the siblings of the White City. Even as Alodar allowed himself to hold the Darkness as a living vessel, the power of darkness enchanted Elsemere's Ring.

Alodar's Ascension End
    Last edited by ArlEammon; 2011-10-27 at 01:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The Fall

The sky was rushing past, at a rate implausible. Of course, Rose questioned even this: Is this really happening, or had someone drugged her meal? It wasn't like this was the first time someone had tried to trick her, after all. Really, was it so implausible that someone would play a prank on her like this? With a properly ironic sense of humor, perhaps, to confuse her senses as she so often confused the senses of others?

She hit the ground with a start, and looked around. There was only ice and wind as far as she could see, with the cracking sky clouded from view by the partially frozen mists of the sea somewhere nearby. It was cold here. That was obvious, but it doesn't quite describe the enormity of the situation. Even as she looked around, parts of her dress froze solid in the forceful, partially frozen winds. She could feel the stinging, thin shards of ice sliding right through her dress into her more or less unprotected flesh.

Rose began to walk westward. She had to do something: This place was a deathtrap simply standing there, and it was becoming increasingly clear to her that she was not simply hallucinating.

As the ice shards began to accumulate in her dress, she was forced to begin moving more quickly, trying to shake them off. Five harrowing hours later, she had escaped from the storm. It was still painfully cold, but no longer so agonizingly brutal. The land was still frozen, but here there were permafrost-covered plains rather than simple ice sheets. A few rays of sunlight peeked through the enveloping fog, and a few small volcanic vents made the area warm enough to melt the ice. Roselia thought she could see something to the north, but it was faint and insubstantial.

A chittering noise suddenly seemed to waft from one of the volcanic vents, as a creature rose from it. It was tall, long, and had hundreds of legs. Was this one of the Beasts of Nightmare that Father had spoken of, so long ago? Was she about to die?

Of course, Roselia now understood that she could never overcome this beast, even if she wanted to fight, and made the logical move: She ran. Towards the faint shape on the horizon.

The Abomination failed to pursue, but Roselia recieved the faint feeling that it was watching. The shape of the object was soon revealed: There was a human village here, and Rose's story was only beginning here.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Firbolg in the Playground

Excerpt from the Chronicals of Kalandor's Awakening.
    Written By Abroku, First Bard of Kalandor

Kalandor woke from a fitful sleep with people aproaching him, clad in leather armour and weapons drawn. They had the underfed and dishivelled look of bandits, barring the leader, whose mahogany wood spear was closest.

Now it was this band where he first met Mordon Grimstaf, the foul bandt of Drakelm Wood. With quick tounge he calmed the band, and spoke for nearly a day, hearing the tale of Bel'kora the Liche, and the band that was to quest for his true death. Speaking over the course of a day, from the bright rays of dawn, to the dark rays of dusk. He was directed upon the trail to the town of Morestbe, where the adventurers were gathering, into a small band to strike down the Liche. With a silvered tounge he spoke to the band, and they agreed to journey with him, to take him as far as the forests border, where he woud see the towns huts.

It was at this time were he grew fond of the Banditt, who was much like him in travellers desire, but was of battle, seeking to fight and prove his prowess over man and animal that shared his forest. When they departed at the forest edge they departed friendly, and Kalandor had decided that he would use a personality like his later. As he turned to leave Mordon called to him, and planted a dark coloured staff on the ground, made of oak with stone shod ends. "It isn't right to leave you unarmed. Know you have my friendship, and that I will be at the caves the Liche hides at when the party you seek to join reaches them. We too wish not for his continued life, his blight bends itself upon this forest upon occasion."
    "Well then, I wish upon you good travels, and that you be well when you join us."

And so he bowed and left. From this travel he had learnt much of the world around him, and could locate himself on his mental maps. And this quest against the Liche Bel'kora sounded like the sort of adventure he should be on.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2011-10-31 at 08:37 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

They say the holy sword-
    That sword of metal sun-forged
    Which all swords echo-
    Was guarded not by spirits
    But by an old, blind seeress

A thousand summers
    She had endured quietly
    Praying to her lord
    Awaiting the coming of
    The one who could draw the sword

She lived in a cave
    Some say, set into the rock
    Of the tall mountain
    That stands above all others
    In the mountains of the sun

The sword slept tamed
    And her whispers were unheard
    By beast, man or god
    Until the day a white horse
    And rider came to her shrine

The man uncovered
    His shining face, which shone like
    The sun at noonday
    And fell upon empty eyes
    Darkened by the sun-forged sword

She felt his white face
    His perfect skin, his fine eyes
    And she wept for joy
    For the Prophet had come to
    Wield the sword made for him

He reached out to claim
    The sword, sheathed in emerald
    But stopped his hand, as
    The seeress cried: beware, lord!
    You reach for your destruction

I see now, though sight
    Which is man's utmost reason
    Was taken from me-
    This is yours to wield, but
    It will be your bane ere long

The Prophet said, then
    Tell me, how is this my bane?
    This sword cries for me
    Within its metal is light
    Perfect from Bazaran's sun

Who, then, could bear this
    But I, the perfect warlord
    Bade to fight nightmare?
    So saying, he took it up
    Laying hand upon gold hilt

You shall drink down death
    She replied, beneath the dark
    Coils writhe in wait
    Its road leads to her door
    Kelynkesh-Whose-Name-Is-Strife

Please, lord, she pleaded
    Lay this burden aside and
    See to our people
    They cry out for wisdom born
    Of your shining-white city

The Prophet pulled free
    The burning blade, holy sword
    Whose name is now lost
    And he beheld glory caught
    In metal, the sun blazing

He laughed, swung, and spoke:
    Maiden, fear not. My arm's strength
    Is equal to that of
    A thousand lions arrayed
    For battle at heaven's gates

This specter you fear-
    She lies beneath the dark earth
    Well, I shall seek her
    And slay her - I fear nothing
    Not even this foul serpent

She said, softly, you-
    Oh noble prince of heaven-
    Your death awaits in
    The Place Where There Is No End
    Go, now. Your fate is sealed.

The sword fastened tight
    To his belt, he rode northwards
    To the sea, and there
    He passed from the knowledge of
    Those who wait for Bazaran

The seeress, they say
    Came to the Enezet to
    Die, weeping blindly
    For she had failed to save
    Our Prophet from his dark fate

He will return when
    Our need is greatest; all men
    Know this is truth and
    Wait for him to return from
    The cruel dark beneath the north
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

The First Wish
    Part 1: When Suddenly...

A lesson was taught long ago,
    in the silent desert chill.
    It went "wishes only come true,
    with Desire and with Will."

Even now you might still hear it,
    when the wind is calm and still.
    "You can have what e'er you want,
    With enough Desire and Will."

That same voice then explains,
    in a tone colder than ice,
    "Desire is the wanting,
    but it's Will that pays the price.
    You can have the whole wide world,
    you can even have it twice.
    You can have what e'er you want,
    but then you have to pay the price."

"There's a cause for each effect,
    and effects for every act.
    But acts have life as well,
    and you can never take them back.
    You had best check your Desire,"

says the ever-unseen jack,
    "You can have what e'er you want,
    but you can never give it back..."

- Excerpt from "The First Wish," a Hajika Clan bedtime story

--------------------------------------------------------------

NOW...

The legends say that when Faden first set foot on the Great Disk, after the attack on the White City, he calmly looked around, assessing the situation, categorizing his advantages and disadvantages, testing his remaining strength, and getting his bearings.

The legends are quite wrong.

"Spirit! Spirit! I realize that it might be terribly inconvenient but could you kindly transport me to a slightly more hospitable location? I love an unimpeded view of the night sky and my childhood home's destruction as much as any of my siblings, but as you may have noticed there's nothing here!" Faden had begun speaking in his normal tone, but it had graduated to a shriek as the spirit of haste, true to its nature, rocketed skyward.

After that, Faden panicked. How long he did so, no one knows. There were no witnesses to the event, and Faden isn't telling, but eventually he calmed down. It was then that he turned his thoughts toward survival.

"..."

...and after several minutes of furious cogitation, he had come up with exactly nothing. He had studied all manner of things, but 'how to survive in the middle of a barren desert while hideous nothings from beyond the stars may or may not be coming to murder you' was not among the topics of his pleasant discussions with Tezzerin. Worse yet, his attempts to produce a proper veil or move freely and easily across the dunes were met with only limited success - his divine spark had been... if not damaged, then certainly restrained.

It was a long, long time before Faden moved. Before he did, he simply thought. As the moon turned bloody and the stars began to fade, he carefully, slowly, examined the facets of this new reality - a reality where moral and social laws were not enforced by a higher power. A reality where his own, faltering powers might not be enough to overcome adversaries. A reality where the land itself would sooner kill than serve. And he knew that if he were to survive, he would need to rethink many of the things he had once held as universal truth. But first, he had to live.

And as dawn finally began to diminish the horrid brilliance of the blood moon, Faden chose his direction, and began to walk.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2011-10-29 at 02:11 AM.