New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Scions of Stonehall

Nodding his thanks the older Dwarf, Reorn returns to the column. Stopping, he turns to look at the King, and next to him his son, the Prince. He describes what he felt atop the column.

Though I cannot decipher the exact nature of the spell, I believe it might be a key. Perhaps activated by the touch of the Royal line?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Return: Marros Darkeyes
    Shadows of the Colossus: Ulric
    Flying Cities:Rourke Irontracker
    Scions of Stonehall:Reorn Strongheart
    Kung Fu:Shang Ji-You

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Haha, yes. You've puzzled out almost everything. The Stone is the key, and the stairs appear just there as Sir Forscythe says, but I will be shocked indeed if you figure out the trick.

The king grins, arms crossed.

"Can we move this along?" asks Jaan. "How would they know what to draw? Just tell them!"
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2011-11-13 at 04:37 PM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

3. - Top - End - #63

DruidGuy

Draw, my Lord General? A mighty hint indeed!

Reorn turns back to the column, then traces the crest of the Dwarven king, the crest of stonehall, upon the tingling surface of the column.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Reorn's finger tingles with arcane energy as he traces the Stonehall sigil across the top of the column. All at once, his body is filled with a faint buzz, as if he'd consumed too many spirits.

The buzz radiates outwards from the column until even the coins are tingling, bell-like, in their silk coin sacks. The floor rumbles and begins to move.

"Onto the stairs, lads, or off the platform!" says Jaan, himself taking a step backwards.

Spoiler
    Show

Reflex Save for: Grelm (d20+3)[13]
    Reflex Save for: Rochester (d20+4)[16]
    Reflex Save for: Hmon (d20+6)[9]

Reorn is standing on the artificial stairway and Forscythe is at the edge of the platform when it begins to rise--out of harms way. Prince Grelm steps back, as does his vizier Rochester, but Hmon, too fascinated by the mysteries unfolding before him, finds himself being lifted upwards at an alarming rate!

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmon is hurtling up, propelled by the platform--Give me actions!
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2011-11-13 at 05:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Grelm barely has time to think before he watches Hmon get carried up by the rising stone. His mind races, but his body and spirit react on their own, shouting a booming imperative to Hmon. "Jump down." He feels a pulse of energy flow through Naberius and leave him as he speaks, and the magical power of his words hits Hmon like a hammer blow, compelling the dwarf to obey. Grelm takes a step back, giving Hmon room to land if the command works.

Spoiler
    Show
    Command, Save DC 15. Grelm is using the "approach me" option to force him to jump down right away.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2011-11-13 at 05:29 PM.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Forscythe will move to catch Hmon, suspecting that his strength will allow him to carry the day.

7. - Top - End - #67

DruidGuy

Cursing at his own foolishness, Reorn turns to see Hmon start to rise. Unable to reach his companion, he does the only thing he can think of. He throws his magical staff, hoping to knock the spymaster off of the swiftly rising platform.

Spoiler
    Show
    Note to self, always check positions before triggering magic devices.
    Throwing staff, -4 due to improvised throwing weapon.
    (1d20+2)[3]

Edit:Oh god....
    Last edited by Todash; 2011-11-13 at 05:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, fantastic! I highly recommend Hmon voluntarily fail his save.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon hearing the imperious voice of the prince hammer into his brain, and feeling the ground fall away, Hmon simply obeys the words, riding upon them as he steps off the rapidly ascending platform.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Forscythe will mightily catch the falling rogue.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

His prince's words and his actions become one. Hmon falls backwards off the swiftly rising platform.

Spoiler
    Show
    (d6)[2]Falling damage to Hmon. Hmon is prone.

Forscythe is too far to catch him, try as he might. The spymaster clatters to the ground, taking the force of his fall to his back and shoulders.

At the same time, the false stone rises upward, disappearing into the niche along with the platform. The staircase extends downward to the newly revealed area, maybe two meters down.

Before you sits a glorious alter, fit to exalt Moradin and all of the dwarven Lords. Within the alter sits the true Shadowless Stone--appearing just as the illusion, but somehow even more resplendent.

King Grash walks forward to Reorn Strongheart and speaks.

Voice of the Earth... I am glad my son has one such as you to guide him, but you are perhaps too eager. You show a cunning, and I'm sure it is backed by wisdom, but you must never let your intellect take a back seat to sense. When I am gone, my son will rely on you five to temper his brashness. Please. Do so.

Spoiler
    Show
    600 XP for Reorn.
    400 for everyone else

Floor is yours once again.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2011-11-13 at 06:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

12. - Top - End - #72

DruidGuy

Reorn bows deeply to the King.

My lord, I hear your words, and I shall indeed heed them. In my haste to behold the fabled Stone that called to me, I acted rashly. I swear that I shall act with careful wisdom, and use it to guide your son faithfully, as did my mentor before me.

He then turns and helps Hrom to his feet, hands glowing with healing energy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast cure minor wounds on hrom
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmon accepts the proffered hand and healing tough gratefully, grimacing in pain as the hairline fracture in his ribs closes, but impressed at his fellows. Even more so, though, he is amazed at the altar beneath. After a suitable reverent pause he asks again, "My King... correct me if I'm wrong, but you have yet to tell us the meaning of assembling all of us together to see this. I am honored by the opportunity, but I'm not sure why you chose to show all of us and not just your son."
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2011-11-13 at 07:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Forscythe pats the fallen rogue on the back, shifting back to his position behind and to the right of the prince. "We're professional advisors and whatnot, my friend." He chuckles. "Plus, the love we bear for His Majesty's son surely shines right on through."

The entertaining Captain of the Guard then sees the altar and goes to a knee, muttering a prayer to Moradin and his mighty hammer, leading them to smite their foes with sure hands and fearless resolve.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Asvora's first thought is to protect the Prince. Seeing he is safe she turns to help... but realizes everything is over before it begins. She inwardly bashes herself for taking so long to react.
    You don't like drawn weapons? You're gonna hate what I do with it next!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The king circles around and descends the staircase to the genuine Stone.

Forscythe has the right of it. I asked for dwarves my son did trust, and that is you.

Every king must have his Silver Circle. My own... through time and tragedy has been reduced to one--Jaan Nightshield, my oldest living friend and confidant. Only he and I know the secret of the Shadowless Stone.

Now do you see the significance of this meeting? You are my son's Silver Circle. You will bare the secret of the Stone. You will protect all of Grelm's secrets.

Yes, he says, catching his son's eye, even that one.

The king nods to his son. How long he has known about the dark rituals Grelm employs? Who can say? But he knows.

One day, you will lay your hands on the Shadowless Stone and say the oath handed down from generation to generation. Then, and only then, will you be King. And a king needs his council.

Does it become clear?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmon nods solemnly. "So and it does, my King. I would be honored to serve your son. He's a King I'd be proud to follow."

18. - Top - End - #78

DruidGuy

Reorn stands tall, Robe billowing around him.

I swear, upon the great Stone that is before us, and the Earth that is all around us, that I shall use all of my wisdom, my knowledge, and my power, to aid you and guide you my Prince.

Reorn kneels.

I will bear true faith, and will protect you from all enemies, both without and within. I am honored to serve with such faithful companions.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Grelm shares a long look with his father, and despite himself he feels nothing but happiness. His father knew, and he loved him still. I should have known, Naberius. I should have known. The vestige made no reply, whether from disinterest or for some other, more obscure reason Grelm could not say. Based on his knowledge of the spirit he guessed the latter.

"And I, too, and more than honored to be surrounded by those of such powerful mind and spirit as you, my closest friends. The fact that I have you to share both the joys and pains of kingship is enough to strengthen my resolve and make my heart resolute." Grelm relaxes a bit, and then begins speaking in a more familiar tone. "I am worried, my friends, that I may not be enough. Not intelligent enough, not wise enough, not powerful enough. I worry that I shall fail in the task that every one of my forebears has succeeded in." He looks to his father and Jaan with a strong smile.

"But I will have you, and that is more than any dwarf could ever wish for. I am not smart enough, but together we are. I am not wise enough, but together, we are. I am not powerful enough, but by Moradin's hammer there is not a power in this would I would value above us save the gods themselves. I am concerned that I would fail, but I know that we will succeed." Grelm rests his hand on his morningstar, feeling the weight of his old weapon. "I feel confident enough to speak for my companions, father. We are ready to take the oath."
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Then at last you understand that no king rules on his own. But just as you depend on your Circle to guide you and temper your actions, the kingdom will depend upon you. I still have some time left yet to settle things before you shall need to serve in my stead, and there is much for you to learn.

You six will be the only ones who know the secret of the Shadowless Stone once I am gone... Elsewise, the secret would die with Jaan and me.

The key to it all is the rune work along the Stone's six sides. You see--

Of a sudden, the ground begins to quake, and the old King stops his speech immediately. This is no earthquake, but a mighty horn, blown from the Stonehall's watchtower. The low sound vibrates the very rock that surrounds them, up through the dwarves' boots, rattling their spines and chattering their teeth.

Hoooooooooooooooom. Blap!

It is one, long tone, followed by a short blast. It can mean only one thing.

Stonehall is under attack. The single short blast tells them that the enemy is goblin in nature. For Forscythe and Asvora, this means a list of protocols and specific battle stations. Once, they would have joined ranks with their brothers at the front gate, but their orders had changed since they became the Prince's bodyguard. Protect His Majesty.

What -- how can this be? Jaan, you told me the roads were secure. What is the meaning of this?

Nightshield says nothing, his face pale.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2011-11-14 at 09:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmon's crossbow is in his hands in the blink of an eye. He looks over at the King and Price and says, almost apologetically, "I'm sorry, my King. We knew there was a raiding group coming. We took out their leader a couple days back, thought they'd back off, decapitate their command and all that. Guess that wasn't the case." As he speaks, though, his hands pump the lever on his crossbow and flick the cover off the quiver at his side.

22. - Top - End - #82

DruidGuy

Looking around for his lost staff, Reorn walks closer to the king and his son. My lord, perhaps you should stay here and teach your son of the necessary secrets, I'm sure the guard can handle the invaders, and we can protect you from any that trespass down here. Unless the General would like us to accompany him?
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Forscythe smiles to the Prince as he speaks, but then the horn blasts, and the Knight's smile falls. He draws his axe and straps on his shield. He had faith in his lieutenants to ensure the Guard was doing their job right. "Your Majesty, Your Highness, we should find a choke point and prepare for battle. We will protect you, my liege. If you feel your treasure vault by the Shadowless Stone is the right place to do this, then so be it, but I suspect we may want to let the wealth of Stonehall remain hidden and fight at a different position."

He thinks over his knowledge of the city, looking to determine options. If he and Asvora can stand side by side, they could hold a choke point for days together.
    Last edited by Lokio; 2011-11-14 at 01:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Rochester steps to where he had stationed himself many times before - just behind Grelm's left shoulder. Perfect for examining homework in progress, for whispering, and for hearing orders.

"Majesty, I believe Reorn has the right of it. Please continue. we will prepare defenses."

As if as a continuation of that thought, Rochester intones a frequently-repeated spell, covering himself briefly in a greenish aura that quickly fades.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rochester casts Mage Armour.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Round 1 Initiative Order
    (d20+1)[4] Grelm's Initiative Roll
    (d20+2)[22] Rochester's Initiative Roll
    (d20+1)[18] Forscythe's Initiative Roll
    (d20+3)[14] Reorn's Initiative Roll
    (d20+6)[14] Hmon's Initiative Roll
    (d20+1)[16] Asvora's Initiative Roll

(d20+1)[11] Jaan Nighshield's Initiative Roll
    (d20+7)[12] Drow in dwarf's clothing

As the group chatters and makes preparations, Jaan's young squire appears at the top of the rise looking down at the dwarves and the stone.

But something's not right... how had he gotten past the guards? He wasn't supposed to be here.... A moment later it becomes obvious that the squire is no squire. The squire is no dwarf. A black, beardless face looks down on you. He wears the Nightshield colors, but this is a drow impostor.

He levels a finger at the king and speaks a word of eldritch might. A black ray issues from his hand and strikes Grash on the chest. The old King tries to cry out, but instead simply exhales a breath of frosty haze before collapsing at the feet of his friend Jaan Nightshield.

My liege, the drow mockingly bows his head to Grelm, a sick grin on his face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grelm and Reorn are at the bottom of the stairs next to the Stone. Grash is on the ground next to Jaan, about 10 feet from Reorn. Rochester is just behind Grelm.

Asvora and Forscythe stand at the top of the stairs, with their backs to the Shadowless Stone (My interpretation of Forscythe's statements. If you don't like this position, let me know).

Hmon is standing at the edge of the enclosure, cross bow at the ready.

The Drow is standing at the top of a 15-foot staircase, the foot of which is 20 feet from the top of the Shadowless Stone's enclosure. The Stone is 10 feet from the revealed staircase, also 15 feet high.

Give me actions!

Initiative order:
    Everyone but Grelm
    NPCs
    Grelm
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2011-11-14 at 05:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

26. - Top - End - #86

DruidGuy

Stunned at the sudden attack, Reorn rushes for the fallen king. Pulling out a slender shard of crystal from his robes, he touches it to the elder dwarf, it's light flares as Reorn mutters an incantation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pull out my wand of CLW, and heal the king. (assuming he's not already toast)
    (1d8+4)[7]

Edit: Whoops, mistype, it's +1 not +4. So 4 healing.
    Last edited by Todash; 2011-11-14 at 06:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

"Coward! Face me if ye be a man!" His taunt is laced with power, forcing the drow to attack him. He moves up to the drow with his move action and standard action. This effect effects all enemies, hidden or otherwise, in the area -- the Knight's courage forcing them all to attack him and him alone in a test of mettle. As he moves, he will draw his guisarme polearm.

Forscythe's combat style is incredibly hard to move away from, and so the drow cannot five-foot step away from him.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0] dmg (1d10+6)[12].
    SWIFT: Test of Mettle - DC 17 will save or forced to attack the Knight.
    DOUBLE MOVE to threaten.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Lokio; 2011-11-14 at 07:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Couple things.

First, Forscythe does not have the movement to approach and attack in the same round. The top of the stairs (Where you are) and the bottom of the other staircase are 20 feet apart. After closing that distance, you would need to climb the 15-foot staircase that the Drow is on top of, moving at half speed during the climb.

If you took a full round action to double move, you would be five feet below the drow. If you have a reach weapon, you would then be threatening him, but the waraxe lacks reach.

Secondly, make sure your OOC remarks are spoilered.

Third, lay out specifically which abilities you are using, by name, so I can look up their effects if needed. Thanks!
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2011-11-14 at 06:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Asvora charges ahead with Forscythe, staying behind him. They have trained and fought together for years. His Waraxe handling any creates that make it past her Warpike. She moves as far as possible hoping to at least get close enough to threaten the vile Drow!

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Operating under that assumption that I can move about as far as Forscythe seeing as I was near him. Trying to get so I can at least threaten the drop with my warpike which has reach.

Also, I was out of town this weekend. Posting will be much more frequent now.
    You don't like drawn weapons? You're gonna hate what I do with it next!

30. - Top - End - #90

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Could he Run to get next to the Drow? It would make him lose his Dex to AC, and I don't recall if it would cause AoO or not, but it would allow him to threaten at least.

Edit: Ahh thanks. I saw that with Charge, but forgot it applied to run too.
    Last edited by Todash; 2011-11-14 at 07:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show