New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Ringslinger (AKA the Green/Red/Orange/Yellow/Blue/Indigo/Violet Lantern). PE

Threw up the first two ACFs- the Rageslinger (Red) and the Fearslinger (yellow). I'll do the Charmslinger (Violet) tomorrow, if I have time, along with some feats I've thought up. The Hopeslinger too, possibly. Orange and Indigo are going to take much more thought.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Ringslinger (AKA the Green/Red/Orange/Yellow/Blue/Indigo/Violet Lantern). PE

Just throwing it out there:

Even if we're using the Atrocitus version of a Red Lantern, wouldn't it better serve as maybe some kind of PrC with only a few levels? I mean, the ring does replace their heart and turns all their blood into a destructive acid that burns through most things most rings can put up as barriers or shields.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bendraesar View Post
    Just throwing it out there:

Even if we're using the Atrocitus version of a Red Lantern, wouldn't it better serve as maybe some kind of PrC with only a few levels? I mean, the ring does replace their heart and turns all their blood into a destructive acid that burns through most things most rings can put up as barriers or shields.
    Hmm, seeing the ACFs, I'm actually inclined to agree that each Corp (including Green) should have its own 5-10 level PrC, and have this be the abilities all Lanterns share. The ACFs are fine, but I think PrCs would do them better justice.
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Needs Yellow, Red, and other color abilities.

That said, it's a ****ing Power Ring User. What do you blessed expect?

I do not expect Superman is the equivlant of a 12 level warrior. Get serious people. This is meant to be overpowered. It's a Supers class and not a D&D class.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    It's a Supers class and not a D&D class.
    Strange that it is then not using the Supers system (whatever it is), but using the d20 system, eh?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Needs Yellow, Red, and other color abilities.

That said, it's a ****ing Power Ring User. What do you blessed expect?

I do not expect Superman is the equivlant of a 12 level warrior. Get serious people. This is meant to be overpowered. It's a Supers class and not a D&D class.
    Except that I am trying to balance it for D&D-- specifically, medium to high tier 3. Please don't put words in my mouth. And if you looked closer, I posted ACFs for Red and Yellow, with more coming.

Obviously, that means that the class isn't going to be able to do everything that the comic versions can do. That said...

I don't want to make the alternate corps into PrCs, except maybe the Black and White lanterns. To do so would imply that everyone starts as a Green Lantern, which clearly isn't the case. As far as I can tell, most of the power rings function in roughly the same way, a few exceptions aside.

Bendraesar, I forgot about the ring-replacing-the-heart, and I didn't realize the acid-blood-thing had special effects. Both are now included in the ACF.

UPDATE: Added the Charmslinger/Star Sapphire.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2011-11-15 at 11:49 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Opinions on the ACFs? General balance? I feel pretty good about the drawback-to-benefits aspect, but...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Fluff issues: In D&D, willpower is associated with Wisdom, not Charisma. If you want this to be a Charisma-centric class, 'twould be better to say "Charisma-- in other words, raw force of personality -- is the most important ability for a Ringslinger"

WISDOM (WIS)
    Wisdom describes a character’s willpower, common sense, perception, and intuition.

CHARISMA (CHA)
    Charisma measures a character’s force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness.
    Power Ring:
    • The save DC to identify the ring as special is much too low. I'd suggest a DC of 10 + 1/2 class level + Cha modifier.
    • The Strength check DC to catch the ring is a bit excessive. I'd suggest 2x RPL rather than 5x RPL, as even most gods, demon lords, and epic abominations would have no chance of making a DC 75 Strength check.
    • Is the Charisma damage dealt by the ring on a per-round basis, or only when the ring is first equipped?
    • There seems to be an assumption that the ring is indestructible, but I don't see that written anywhere.
    • I believe a typo thwarted your find-and-replace when you changed the class name from ringbearer to ringslinger, because you refer to the class as "ringbeaer" once in the description here.

Power Blast:
    • The ability to deal impressive blast damage at ranges well beyond what many creatures can engage at is quite potent. I'd suggest a Short range is better for overall balance at low levels, with Shape Blast and Enlarge Blast granting access to a Medium range and Long range, respectively. You might even make the longer range exclusive with the AoE choices, so the ringslinger has to choose between affecting a single distant target or moving closer in order to blast multiple targets.
    • As a spell-like ability, power blast needs an effective spell level, which will determine how it interacts with globe of invulnerability and such. This is also true for all the other spell-like abilities granted by the class. I'd suggest you also assign school and subschool descriptors to the SLA's, where appropriate (for example, many of these powers seem like abjuration, evocation or conjuration effects). This will allow them to interact with the wide variety of effects that enhance, impede, copy, or block spells of a specific school or subschool.

Overchannel: I'd suggest the overchannel cap be reduced to less than 2x RPL. Increasing RPL is a lot like increasing caster level or manifester level, and providing such a simple mechanic for gaining large RPL bonuses makes it easy for the ringslinger to function as a character of much higher level. This is especially a concern because it's pretty easy to heal ability damage, and the ringslinger's UMD skill and high Charisma score give him easy access to spells that do it.

Solid Constructs: As a spell-like ability, solid constructs' save DC should be 10 + effective spell level + Charisma modifier.

Construct Creatures: I'd suggest the level of the construct creatures should be half the ringslinger's RPL. As written, a 10th-level ringslinger can conjure and concentrate on multiple 9th-level astral constructs - a feat that would normally require a 17th-level psion.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2011-11-17 at 12:46 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    Fluff issues: In D&D, willpower is associated with Wisdom, not Charisma. If you want this to be a Charisma-centric class, 'twould be better to say "Charisma-- in other words, raw force of personality -- is the most important ability for a Ringslinger"
    Hmm. Good point, although I feel like this is a case where mechanics and fluff diverge in a lot of cases. I don't know-- Wisdom REALLY doesn't seem right for the class, apart from the willpower aspect, but that is sort of requisite for the source material.

Power Ring:
    • The save DC to identify the ring as special is much too low. I'd suggest a DC of 10 + 1/2 class level + Cha modifier.
    • The Strength check DC to catch the ring is a bit excessive. I'd suggest 2x RPL rather than 5x RPL, as even most gods, demon lords, and epic abominations would have no chance of making a DC 75 Strength check.
    • Is the Charisma damage dealt by the ring on a per-round basis, or only when the ring is first equipped?
    • There seems to be an assumption that the ring is indestructible, but I don't see that written anywhere.
    • I believe a typo thwarted your find-and-replace when you changed the class name from ringbearer to ringslinger, because you refer to the class as "ringbeaer" once in the description here.
    • Good call.
    • You might be right about that, although I think 2xRPL is a little low-- after all, it should be hard to deprive a character of his power source. Perhaps 3xRPL?
    • Per minute. I should specify that-- good catch.
    • I swear I put that in there, but I must have deleted it when I was editing and forgot to put it back in.
    • Herp derp. Thanks.

Power Blast:
    • The ability to deal impressive blast damage at ranges well beyond what many creatures can engage at is quite potent. I'd suggest a Short range is better for overall balance at low levels, with Shape Blast and Enlarge Blast granting access to a Medium range and Long range, respectively. You might even make the longer range exclusive with the AoE choices, so the ringslinger has to choose between affecting a single distant target or moving closer in order to blast multiple targets.
    • As a spell-like ability, power blast needs an effective spell level, which will determine how it interacts with globe of invulnerability and such. This is also true for all the other spell-like abilities granted by the class. I'd suggest you also assign school and subschool descriptors to the SLA's, where appropriate (for example, many of these powers seem like abjuration, evocation or conjuration effects). This will allow them to interact with the wide variety of effects that enhance, impede, copy, or block spells of a specific school or subschool.
    ...Yeah, you're absolutely right about the range, although, to be fair, it's not easy to spot a single creature from five hundred feet away. Good proposed fix.
    Again, don't know how I forgot that. I think I might actually make a side-bar type deal to specify the save DCs and such.

Overchannel: I'd suggest the overchannel cap be reduced to less than 2x RPL. Increasing RPL is a lot like increasing caster level or manifester level, and providing such a simple mechanic for gaining large RPL bonuses makes it easy for the ringslinger to function as a character of much higher level. This is especially a concern because it's pretty easy to heal ability damage, and the ringslinger's UMD skill and high Charisma score give him easy access to spells that do it.
    True. Probably should drop the limit to Charisma modifier.

Solid Constructs: As a spell-like ability, solid constructs' save DC should be 10 + effective spell level + Charisma modifier.
    Moot point, as I think I would rule that all his SLAs have an effective spell level of 1/2RPL. But thanks for the catch.

Construct Creatures: I'd suggest the level of the construct creatures should be half the ringslinger's RPL. As written, a 10th-level ringslinger can conjure and concentrate on multiple 9th-level astral constructs - a feat that would normally require a 17th-level psion.
    A 10th level Ringslinger would have to deal himself 8 Wisdom damage with Overchannel Ring to summon a second astral construct, and would take a -4 penalty to RPL to maintain both of them. But... yeah. Didn't realize how fast astral constructs scaled.

Thanks very much for the feedback-- a lot of important little fixes that balance things a lot. Super-helpful

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Still unsure of the balance, especially the ACFs...
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2011-11-20 at 09:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    [*]You might be right about that, although I think 2xRPL is a little low-- after all, it should be hard to deprive a character of his power source. Perhaps 3xRPL?
    Yeah, that can work.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I think a good idea would be to have some support feats, like a RPL booster or a metablast feat like sacrifice damage dice for other powers. Maybe also a feat that grants DR when using power armor.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brennan1214 View Post
    I think a good idea would be to have some support feats, like a RPL booster or a metablast feat like sacrifice damage dice for other powers. Maybe also a feat that grants DR when using power armor.
    Overchannel Ring is a class feature to boost his RPL at the cost of ability damage. I don't really want to make static boost feats, because doing so is basically forcing all 'slingers to take those feats to be effective. I'll have to think about the others, though...