New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim II: A Dragon A Day Keeps The Draugr At Bay

Quote Originally Posted by ondonaflash View Post
    I'm level 17 and I only have two shouts. Its making me feel very self-conscious when the other boys in the locker room tell me about their conquests.
    If it makes you feel better Im level 25, I have only 1 shout and have only killed 1 dragon.

All the others Ive seen circle for a bit and then fly off

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post
    If it makes you feel better Im level 25, I have only 1 shout and have only killed 1 dragon.

All the others Ive seen circle for a bit and then fly off
    Do Greybeard stuff, they give you some free shouts.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've got 3 at level 8
    Spoiler
    Show

Fus Ro (missing the last word) - Unrelenting Force

Feim (missing 2 words and I don't have a soul to power it.) - Ethereal

Wuld (missing 2 words) - Whirlwind/dash

Granted 3 of those you get from the main quest, and one of them you find by looking left while heading to an objective for the main quest...yeah. I'm sticking to side quests for a bit.
    Last edited by Alchemistmerlin; 2011-11-17 at 02:33 PM.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Do the quest the Greybeards gave you and you'll get Dah!

Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Techsmart View Post
    mammoth w/ 20 levels of rogue?

the mark to kill shout (first one) can be found in dark brotherhood sanctuary
    the Fire one is obtained on the main quest after you perform about 2-3 missions (trying not to spoil anything good... like
    Spoiler
    Show
    The head of the greybeards is a dragon
    OH GOD WHY DID I READ THAT.

I set off this morning (about eight hours ago real-time) on a simple mission: reach the Imperial base in the north west corner of Skyrim in order to beg for the release of a prisoner there.

Along the way I destroyed a band of vampires, cleared a mine of raiders, forged a new set of arms and armour for my wife, arrived in a new city, slayed two dragons, investigated a murder, was falsely imprisoned, escaped from prison, ended a bloody rebellion by killing the leaders of both camps, delivered a ring, bested a troublesome giant spider, traced the footsteps of a doomed expedition, saw my first orc-settlement, bested their chieftain in a fistfight, killed a drug-dealer, and delved into a terrible barrow where I learned a new word of power before struggling for my life atop a windy mountain peak with an eldritch horror from beyond the grave.

I finally arrived at the camp only to find that I needed to secure his release elsewhere.

So I set off...

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcran View Post
    Heh, I remember that. Only reason he didn't kill me was becauae he triggered the mammoth skull trap.
    This is the guy I used fury on who then killed all the other bandits in his camp.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm level 13 and I have:

Spoiler
    Show

Unrelenting Force - All three
    Ice Form - Two words
    Frost Breath - One word
    Disarm - One word
    Animal Allegiance - One word
    Aura Whisper - One word
    Storm Call - One word
    Whirlwind Sprint - One word

Although I don't use most of them much, really. I'd say the shout I've always used the most has been Unrelenting Force, since it's pretty useful for a mage like me.

Also: it turns out it isn't the best idea to test out Storm Call around a town.

8. - Top - End - #98

Bt, if someone found Elemental Fury (air), do you know the restrictions? It tells me my weapons are already enchanted :-(

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Got the best enchant on a weapon ever the other night - "Especially deadly to elves"
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Got the best enchant on a weapon ever the other night - "Especially deadly to elves"
    Awww, I'm jealous.

Show

11. - Top - End - #101

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    This is the guy I used fury on who then killed all the other bandits in his camp.
    He's the one I used an invisibility potion I happened to find to sneak attack for 6x damage and then stab once more to finish off.

Dragon shmagon, that guy's the tough one.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

12. - Top - End - #102

Has anyone tried using the Ward spells from the Restoration Skill?

It seems like the Ward spells are more powerful (Greater Ward increases your armor rating by 80 points and negates up to 80 points of spell damage or effects), but require mana to use. Whereas a physical shield provides less protection (A Daedric Shield increases your armor rating by 22.5 points prior to improvement with Perks, Enchantment, and Smithing), but can be used to bash and can seems to block 100% of non-Power Attack physical attacks if you time it correctly.

Assuming that you're not using the infinite Alchemy/Smithing/Enchantment exploit, which is better? The Perks for the Restoration and Block Skills seem equally cool and useful. But I've only used the Block Skills. Any first hand experience out there?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Has anyone tried using the Ward spells from the Restoration Skill?

It seems like the Ward spells are more powerful (Greater Ward increases your armor rating by 80 points and negates up to 80 points of spell damage or effects), but require mana to use. Whereas a physical shield provides less protection (A Daedric Shield increases your armor rating by 22.5 points prior to improvement with Perks, Enchantment, and Smithing), but can be used to bash and can seems to block 100% of non-Power Attack physical attacks if you time it correctly.

Assuming that you're not using the infinite Alchemy/Smithing/Enchantment exploit, which is better? The Perks for the Restoration and Block Skills seem equally cool and useful. But I've only used the Block Skills. Any first hand experience out there?
    The Mage College teaches you Lesser Ward for free - and I've found it's kinda neat to run with that and Firebolt. If you take the Restoration #1 perk, the mana cost to keep it up is negligible, but it DOES mean you don't have as much blastiness. Using a real weapon might be cool, actually, so that you're draining from two pools, not one. I think some of the bigger wards might be worth it since you'll eventually get the regeneration perks in Restoration.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

14. - Top - End - #104

DruidGuy

Having a lot of fun with my Dumner conjured blade sneaky witch-thief. Nothing like stealthing up on some unsuspecting person and taking them out with twin ghost swords.

You have a perk from conjuration to increase damage to go with the perks from 1H (armsman, savage strikes, dual savagery) and also the 6.0x stealth backstab perk.

Had a fun run in with some bandits outside Bleak Halls Barrow - killed the first 2 while the second shot arrows at me. Ducked in behind a column and she did the same. Dropped down into stealth. She started searching for me so I circled around and snuck up behind her. Did a dual conjured blade power attack and got the throat slitting kill animation.

Made my way to Riften - what a depressing place that is. I'd wipe out the Black-Briars and the Thieves Guild but I think most of them are protected by the game by being 'important NPCs'.

I had been planning on backing the Empire, except now a spanner has been thrown in the works - the new Jarl in that case is the head of the Black-Briars.

A few tips that I have found that may be useful.

Interested in mining/smithing or an easy source of money? Visit the Halted Stream bandit camp north of Whiterun, the one that is a wood walled compound. In addition to 17 veins of iron ore and 1 of corundum, there is a spell book in there for transmutation. Turns iron ore to silver ore and silver ore to gold ore. Good for boosting alteration - and if you turn that gold ore into jewellery, good for smithing.

Looking to boost illusion? Pick up the muffle spell (Farengar in Whiterun has it). Just casting it boosts illusion, even if not in combat.

Need a temporary free horse? Just beneath the walls on the north side of Whiterun is an overhang cave where a couple of bandits are loading a cart. They are skooma smugglers - kill them. There is a locked chest there as well, but opening it attracts 3 more bandits. Of note is that there is a horse there that you can steal without getting a bounty. Good if you need to explore around Whiterun but the moment you dismount it starts plodding back to the place you stole it.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    The Mage College teaches you Lesser Ward for free - and I've found it's kinda neat to run with that and Firebolt. If you take the Restoration #1 perk, the mana cost to keep it up is negligible, but it DOES mean you don't have as much blastiness. Using a real weapon might be cool, actually, so that you're draining from two pools, not one. I think some of the bigger wards might be worth it since you'll eventually get the regeneration perks in Restoration.
    Yeah, it seems like a nifty combo would be:

Right Hand: One Handed weapon with Mana Drain Enchantment. Swap to your favorite Destruction spell for ranged. (I read that Vampirism gives you a Drain Life spell, but I have no idea how effective it is).

Left Hand: Your strongest Ward to prevent damage. Swap to your strongest Healing spell to restore health and stamina (which you get from a Restoration Perk) as needed.

With that combo and a few decent Shouts, you should pretty much never run out of Mana, Stamina, or Health unless you neglect to wear Heavy Armor or use protective Alteration magic.

The big down side is that you can't benefit from the combat rhythm of Block, Bash, counter attack that seems to work so well against single non-Dragon/Giant opponents. But the same could be said for two handed or two weapon style or duel Destruction style as well.

16. - Top - End - #106

seems to block 100% of non-Power Attack physical attacks if you time it correctly.
    What do you mean by this?

Quick tidbit to those that care: Orcish Sword is worse than Dwarven Sword. Just a heads up.

17. - Top - End - #107

Yeah, it seems like a nifty combo would be:

Right Hand: One Handed weapon with Mana Drain Enchantment. Swap to your favorite Destruction spell for ranged. (I read that Vampirism gives you a Drain Life spell, but I have no idea how effective it is).

Left Hand: Your strongest Ward to prevent damage. Swap to your strongest Healing spell to restore health and stamina (which you get from a Restoration Perk).

With that combo and a few decent Shouts, you should pretty much never run out of Mana, Stamina, or Health unless you neglect to wear Heavy Armor or use Alteration magic.

The big down side is that you can't benefit from the combat rhythm of Block, Bash, counter attack that seems to work so well against single non-Dragon/Giant opponents. But the same could be said for two handed or two weapon style or duel Destruction style as well.
    Once you get 60 Restoration, you can also get the perk that lets your Ward give you magicka from spells that hit it. Then with your magicka-draining weapon, when in combat you should be able to get a good supply of magicka from killing enemies and aborbing enemy spells.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

I've found Bash & Stab to be great against giants.

Show

19. - Top - End - #109

seems to block 100% of non-Power Attack physical attacks if you time it correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dralnu View Post
    What do you mean by this?
    When I block, it seems like it prevents all or most of the damage from physical attacks. But it doesn't block when I attack with my right hand. And it seems to be mostly ineffective against Power Attacks. And it seems like when I just hold down the Block button and wait for my enemy to attack, he's a lot more likely to make a Power Attack to break through my block. (I'm not sure if this is the actual game mechanic or not. I have no way of knowing if my enemy is Power Attacking or not. It just looks like they're taking longer to swing their weapon some times, and that these attacks break through my Block.)

So when I fight with a Shield and One Handed weapon, it seems like a big part of combat is waiting for my enemy to attack, Blocking, hitting them back with a Shield Bash, and then attacking a few times with my One Handed Weapon until by enemy recovers and tries to attack again, in which case I need to stop attacking and Block or move out of the way.

Is your experience with Shields different?

20. - Top - End - #110

I do the same thing as you. There is a Perk in the Block tree that notifies you when an opponent power attacks. It slows down time while blocking against one. Not sure what it's used for, since you're slowed as well so you can't dodge, and shield bashing in response doesn't always seem to stop their impending power attack.. but it does notify you.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Banned

When I block, it seems like it prevents all or most of the damage from physical attacks. But it doesn't block when I attack with my right hand. And it seems to be mostly ineffective against Power Attacks. And it seems like when I just hold down the Block button and wait for my enemy to attack, he's a lot more likely to make a Power Attack to break through my block. (I'm not sure if this is the actual game mechanic or not. I have no way of knowing if my enemy is Power Attacking or not. It just looks like they're taking longer to swing their weapon some times, and that these attacks break through my Block.)

So when I fight with a Shield and One Handed weapon, it seems like a big part of combat is waiting for my enemy to attack, Blocking, hitting them back with a Shield Bash, and then attacking a few times with my One Handed Weapon until by enemy recovers and tries to attack again, in which case I need to stop attacking and Block or move out of the way.

FWIW I was watching someone play and he was just kiting the attack before rushing in to hit the other guy a few times. Was pretty funny, but I doubt it's sustainable against tougher (or non-humanoid) opponents.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post
    Arrived in a new city, slayed two dragons, investigated a murder, was falsely imprisoned, escaped from prison, ended a bloody rebellion by killing the leaders of both camps...
    Ain't Markarth fun?

By the by, little tip about that release thing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not gonna happen. You either have to infiltrate or crush the guards in order to release him.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

23. - Top - End - #113

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Ain't Markarth fun?

By the by, little tip about that release thing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not gonna happen. You either have to infiltrate or crush the guards in order to release him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well...they are just elves....
    Evil little pointy-eared bastards.
    Last edited by Somebloke; 2011-11-17 at 04:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

an intresting note:

did you know if you are overencumbered and draw an arrow onto your bow you can move faster?
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Important notice: Blind bandits make excellent target dummies for archers.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Important notice: Blind bandits make excellent target dummies for archers.
    You shot that guy? You jerk.

Show

27. - Top - End - #117

I asked this question just before the last thread ended, so I think it got lost in the shuffle. I'll ask again:

I'm looking for reassurance that there are, in fact, other things in dungeons other than draugr. I'm only level 11, but so far it seems like 95% of the things I've fought in dungeons have been draugr. I'm worried that it might start to all feel the same.

The one dungeon/cave I can recall with non-draugr was
    Spoiler
    Show
    a cave I found called...(someone's) Shame, IIRC. It had vampires. And mysterious piles of ashes, too. Still not sure why those were there--I thought they were the slain vampires until I noticed their bodies were still around...
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

28. - Top - End - #118

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arcran View Post
    You shot that guy? You jerk.
    I politely stabbed him from behind. It was a kindness, really.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    I asked this question just before the last thread ended, so I think it got lost in the shuffle. I'll ask again:

I'm looking for reassurance that there are, in fact, other things in dungeons other than draugr. I'm only level 11, but so far it seems like 95% of the things I've fought in dungeons have been draugr. I'm worried that it might start to all feel the same.

The one dungeon/cave I can recall with non-draugr was
    Spoiler
    Show
    a cave I found called...(someone's) Shame, IIRC. It had vampires. And mysterious piles of ashes, too. Still not sure why those were there--I thought they were the slain vampires until I noticed their bodies were still around...
    I've found draugr, ghosts, vampires, bandits, necromancer, non-necromancy spellcasters, falmers and dwemer robots and that's all I can recall at the moment and not counting non-dungeon stuff like forts. But it sounds like you've mostly been going into old catacombs and burrows since those are infested with draugr (god I hate that word a draugr (or as it is in modern icelandic draugur) is a ghost NOT a zombie).
    Last edited by pffh; 2011-11-17 at 04:48 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post
    I politely stabbed him from behind. It was a kindness, really.
    Same here. If I could have brought him with me to bring him to prison or a foster home, I would have done so.

Between leaving him to despair and starve alone or a swift death, I knew what to do.