New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1485
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

See, Mookie? This is what happens when you don't bother improving your art at all. One of the biggest moments in your comic looks like crap. Scary, non-humanoid crap. And for the gods' sake, straighten your damn panels!

Still, it's a fairly decent page, and major things are actually happening. It wasn't very well-written, and things may stop happening next week, but at least something fairly interesting and unexpected happened. Now if only Greg could keep his mouth shut . . .

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

FILLER!

Splash pages only work if your art is decent!

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I reiterate that I would rather have this than a Lynn Johnston-style wedding arc any day of the week. That's the one good thing I'm taking away from this.
    Poor Zaq, trying to delude himself that this in any way stops Mookie doing an arc about the big ceremony for the "real" wedding. Maybe he'll crib off CAD and throw the Hawaiian Mafia in for good measure (although that would honestly be a twisted kind of interesting).

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    Still, it's a fairly decent page, and major things are actually happening. It wasn't very well-written, and things may stop happening next week, but at least something fairly interesting and unexpected happened. Now if only Greg could keep his mouth shut . . .
    I don't know - I agree with Arsenal in that this smacks entirely of filler, even though it should be one of the biggest milestones in the comic. Somehow Mookie managed to find a way to strip all meaningful character development out of this key moment. It's not as if Dom and Luna made a meaningful decision to tie the knot before it all gets real. They get marriage forced on them... for what? Why? It doesn't make sense.

The only character development moment is Jayden breaking her silence, and that only makes it worse. Apparently she breaks it for the Twu Luv of Deegans . And even that awful reason gets pushed aside for godawful SmugGreg.

I was hoping Mookie had enough sense to leave the wedding as the perfect note to end the comic on, but I was wrong.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

And what I love even more is this:

but there's still one more week of updates to go, which means there's still a little more to come. Will it be joyous or ominous? Only one way to find out.
    Are you threatening us mookie?

You are such a puts. "Uh yeah- I totaly planned it out this way"

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I reiterate that I would rather have this than a Lynn Johnston-style wedding arc any day of the week. That's the one good thing I'm taking away from this.
    Dare I ask what was so terrible about FBOFW's wedding arc? I never read it.....

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    Twilight is basically everything wrong with the supernatural romance genre.
    There's something right in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Toast1862 View Post
    Twilight is similar *to dominic deegan* in that, at first glance, it seems like harmless junk. There's nothing good in it, but there's nothing harmful. Right?

But then you start finding out about tubdead and black people turning white when they become vampires and the jocks and that women aren't real women if they can't have babies and you look at it closely and a single eye stares back in the dark.

Edit: **
    That sent chills down my spine...

I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

Will it be joyous or ominous? Only one way to find out.
    "Joyous" means ominous for us, since nothing will happen for at least 2 more weeks.

"Ominous" means something will happen, which means joyous for us. Even if it's bad (which is very likely), at least it will give us something to snark about.

8. - Top - End - #1118

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    Cross-post from SA
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is great.

As are those two:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stahlgeist:

Tesseraction:

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

What Im still amazed at is Greg. For one, every time greg appears he just looks to AWFULL. He is such a bad character that he brings the art to new lows just by being there.

But greg is supposed to be a ballad to how awesome metal is, yet he ends up looking like SUCH a ****ing poser mother****ing moron.....I cant hold it in anymore....

GREG IS HOW MOOKIE SEES METAL! WHAT A ****ING ATTENTION GRABBING MANCHILD!

MOOKIE COMES OFF AS A STUPID GRAMPA THAT JUST WANTS TO LOOK "COOL" IN FRONT OF THOSE HIPSTERS! SO HE PRETENDS HE OH SO LOVES METAL!

Stop it mookie. You realy ****ing suck at posing. Just say "I only join in to liking metal so I could pretend to get offended by others so I can stand on a chair and yell how correct I am".

Its also with your friggin veganism. You only do that to get people to kiss your ass about how "Cool" you are.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Bad mookie, stop using stock footage instead of thinking your own plotlines.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Yeah, and Bella is totally cool with Jacob imprinting on her daughter. That's the guys she was romantically involved with. Awesome parenting, Bella!
    Welllll... Considering she was interested in him, she must think he's a great guy. Probably better than the biker loser she'll pick up to cheese of her parents some day.

Which she totally will, because her parents suck.

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    Least I Could Do has a pretty annoying protagonist, but the parts of the strip that don't focus on him tend to be okay. And I like his interactions with his niece. The artwork also looks like there's some actual effort put into it too.
    Those exist?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

12. - Top - End - #1122

Post Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogwarrior View Post
    Dare I ask what was so terrible about FBOFW's wedding arc? I never read it.....
    The upshot of it was this:
    There was a character, Liz, who left suburbia and went North, where she was teaching on a reservation. And this was pretty out of the sphere of the rest of the comic, and their experiences. She met up with some people who weren't established characters - this policeman, this helicopter pilot, these native kids, etc. And there was some sense that although she wasn't living Just Like Her Parents, there wasn't anything particularly wrong with that. In the mean time, her childhood sweetheart Gordon had gotten married to a French-Canadian, and had a child. Okay. Different people go different directions.

But then, for some reason, Lynn just said WHOA HOLD ON, and slammed on the brakes. In short order, it was revealed that Gordon's French-Canadian wife was a controlling monster, hated him, only had the child because he wanted it because she was a total career woman, and also she was cheating on him and wanted a divorce. In similarly short order, Liz realized that she didn't want to be living differently from her parents after all, and quit the reservation, and moved back down to suburbia. The cop suddenly realized that he was actually in love with Liz's best friend instead of her, so that thread got cut. The helicopter pilot... dang, I forget, but I think he was cheating on her? It was perhaps inevitable that Liz and Gordon would be smashed together once again (fun fact: Gordon at one point saves her from a situation that is just about to turn into rape, or that's what's said about it).

And THEN they find her sainted (dead) grandmother's old wedding dress, which, of course, is an heirloom that they've just forgotten about for decades and decades but is still in good repair, and of course demands blood to satiate it, so with a fist of iron, a Wedding Must Occur. Is Liz hesitant about it because she's recently done a full 180 in life and driven off all her friends? Eh. Is Gordon hesitant about it because the last time he got married, it all went to hell very quickly? Eh.

The FBoFW wedding arc was basically two characters railroaded together. How is this different, you might say, from Dominic Deegan? Well, Dom and Luna were at least always moving in this direction, this eventual marriage direction. FBoFW was just a bunch of trains doing their own thing when SUDDENLY ALL ROADS LEAD TO CHATTANOOGA.
    Last edited by rocketpony; 2011-12-16 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Why did I have an exclamation icon, why do I know this much about FBoFW, angst angst angst.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

13. - Top - End - #1123

Dominic and Luna's engagement has been a long one and Gregory's "it's about time" remark reminded us all of that.
    You know what's really beginning to annoy me? How Mookie is constantly agreeing with his own characters in his newspost. We already know they're self-inserts, Mookie, you don't need to go and make it even more obvious.

14. - Top - End - #1124

GnomeWizardGuy

Hang on, "Dom and Luna's engagement has been a long one"? Is Mookie confusing real-time with in-comic time again?

Dom and Luna got engaged right before the Oracle Hunter arc, and most of the time since then has been spent either on vacation or in Maltak. There might have been a month or so between arcs we never saw, but I got the impression that this was less than a year.

And BTW check out the difference between the engagement comic and the wedding one. Actual colour and effort, like this moment actually mattered in the comic. What happened since 2007?

15. - Top - End - #1125

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    You know what's really beginning to annoy me? How Mookie is constantly agreeing with his own characters in his newspost. We already know they're self-inserts, Mookie, you don't need to go and make it even more obvious.
    It would be hilarious if he honestly didnt agree with them. "Welp, greg says finally, but I just dont agree, I mean, what was jayden thinking, marrying the two off while in mid sob-along?" At least that way we could work with conspiracy theories that the comic is being written by mookie and at least one other person who dont always agree. Or maybe he has multiple personalities or something and veegan mookie loved the idea while metal mookie hates what vegan mookie did to his rock and roll character.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Troll in the Playground

17. - Top - End - #1127

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    It would be hilarious if he honestly didnt agree with them. "Welp, greg says finally, but I just dont agree, I mean, what was jayden thinking, marrying the two off while in mid sob-along?" At least that way we could work with conspiracy theories that the comic is being written by mookie and at least one other person who dont always agree. Or maybe he has multiple personalities or something and veegan mookie loved the idea while metal mookie hates what vegan mookie did to his rock and roll character.
    If Mookie stated that he disagreed with one of his main characters every once and a while, maybe they would actually start feeling like real people rather than finger puppets.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    If Mookie stated that he disagreed with one of his main characters every once and a while, maybe they would actually start feeling like real people rather than finger puppets.
    There was an argument recently in GWS where Corsetto kept switching between who she sided with, and who she felt had a good point, as the argument progressed. That was great.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

This reminds me of a comantary about the Justice league animated series.

They mentioned that when they had two batmans arguing they wanted one to win but the other one posed such a good argument the decided that the other one ends up winning.

20. - Top - End - #1130

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    It helps if you just try.

Honestly, I could spend an hour listing examples, but I have to go to work.
    Wait wait wait. Final Fantasy VII? Who's silent in that besides, like, Jenova?
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Troll in the Playground

Default Submitting this post made me feel bad about myself.

You may now om nom nom the bride.

22. - Top - End - #1132

Quote Originally Posted by TamerBill View Post
    The fat body of cait sith. /nod :p

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    Arsenal, this is your weekly reminder to chill the f*ck out.

Glad i could be of service.

(No, i didn't bother to check the last weeks strips. No point in that.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The characters Mookie doesn't agree with are his designated villains. The ones he intentionally writes as flat card carrying villains once he realizes people are sympathizing with them more than he believes they should.

And they still tend to be more compelling than his favorite characters.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Arsenal, this is your weekly reminder to chill the f*ck out.

Glad i could be of service.

(No, i didn't bother to check the last weeks strips. No point in that.)
    Noted but what I said was truly what I think. The comic is reflecting very poorly on mookie and his "Charm" has worn off.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    Noted but what I said was truly what I think. The comic is reflecting very poorly on mookie and his "Charm" has worn off.
    Just replace the offending elements with a banana. It's done wonders for my own anger at the latest strips. There's something very calming and therapeutic about erasing Greg from existence...
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

27. - Top - End - #1137

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Those exist?
    Back when I read LICD, my favorite parts of the strip were ones that focused on Noel or Mick, two of Rayne's friends.

Quote Originally Posted by TamerBill View Post
    Uh... how'd that get in there? Pretend I linked Legend of Zelda. Or literally any silent movie.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

28. - Top - End - #1138

Just replace the offending elements with a banana. It's done wonders for my own anger at the latest strips. There's something very calming and therapeutic about erasing Greg from existence...
    You're right, that is much better.
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

29. - Top - End - #1139

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Back when I read LICD, my favorite parts of the strip were ones that focused on Noel or Mick, two of Rayne's friends.

Uh... how'd that get in there? Pretend I linked Legend of Zelda. Or literally any silent movie.
    Ok fine, there are examples of skilled writers who are capable of taking a silent character and running with it. Now explain to me how MOOKIE would be able to do a character arc for someone who cant speak? Maybe have Dom scry her life story then talking head us to death as he explains everything that made her who she is today? Have jayden turn to pantomime as we try to decipher what she is trying to say? Nah, this upcoming arc is going to be jayden heavy now that she is talking, and we will learn more about her, besides, "Had sex with a werewolf, cheated on a werewolf, can be mind controlled into losing her powers, looks sexy in blackguard style armor, and doesnt like to talk anymore."

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

And replacing him with sweet fruit,

Very true.

But whos with me on mookies charm wearing off? We all used to mention how he looks like a nice guy to play DD with.

While he still comes off as a nice guy he also comes off as a guy that I would not like to play DD with because he pretends to be somebody who he is not.