New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

on the topic of AxCx

if you want silly metal

STEEL PANTHER

there lyrics make my day

"Fat girl!! Thar she blows!!"

on the topic of Alcest

yay french metal!
    we need more of that
    Last edited by grimbold; 2012-01-07 at 04:32 PM.
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    on the topic of AxCx

if you want silly metal

STEEL PANTHER

there lyrics make my day

"Fat girl!! Thar she blows!!"
    I'm sorry but I defy you to find a band sillier than one with song names like 'Windchimes are Gay' and 'Kyle from Incantation Has a Moustache'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I'm sorry but I defy you to find a band sillier than one with song names like 'Windchimes are Gay' and 'Kyle from Incantation Has a Moustache'.
    What was the name of that one song? "We Locked [Vegan/Animal Activist Group] in a McDonalds"?

I'll edit the post when I remember.

EDIT: "Locking Drop Dead in a McDonalds". They actually did, and took photos too.

Dave, DAVE! Please turn around- Oh, you're facing us. Please look up. Oh right, please brush your hair out of your face. More. More. Almost there. You know what? Let me get the rope and a scissorlift, and we can hang you by your feet so we can see your face.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-01-07 at 07:37 PM.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey so I have some updates about my folk metal band Hounds of Annwn for you guys. We just started the recording process for our first EP and it seems like it should be pretty awesome so far. We'll probably have a couple songs up by February and the EP itself will probably be out in March, I'll give you guys more updates on it as they come.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a huge fan of symphonic metal, but as I've said before, some bands tend to think slapping a chamber orchestra or choral effect onto their songs will make it somehow better. But if well-done, like Therion does it, I do enjoy it. Same with folk metal, really.

So I've been playing Voyages de L'Ame continuously for about a day now (let's rather not ask how I managed that). It's... so good. But I expected it to be a bit heavier, actually. Still, it's just... so good.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zeratul View Post
    Hey so I have some updates about my folk metal band Hounds of Annwn for you guys. We just started the recording process for our first EP and it seems like it should be pretty awesome so far. We'll probably have a couple songs up by February and the EP itself will probably be out in March, I'll give you guys more updates on it as they come.
    YES

i'm psyched!
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    You know, everyone says that Ghost Opera was such a fantastic album. Personally, though, I just don't get it. Something about the album is just very unappealing, somehow, and I can't put my finger on it.

And I, for one, would be stoked if Fabio Lione would take Roy's place permanently.
    It's weird, I've run into the opposite reaction. Everywhere I hear talk of Kamelot, the consensus seems to be "Ghost Opera was okay, but Black Halo is sooooooooooo much better." And I disagree. Ghost Opera is my favorite album, largely on the strength of the first few songs especially Rule the World which is my favorite Kamelot song) although I do like the entire album.

Poetry for the Poisoned... I don't know, I didn't really feel it. It's not a bad album, certainly, but nothing on there really jumps out at me. I can listen to it the whole way through and still not really remember any of the songs.

On a completely unrelated note, I just learned on Facebook that Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath has been diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma . Not to bring anybody down or anything, but I didn't see it mentioned yet.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

That sounds awesome! Looking forward to it. :)

10. - Top - End - #100

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    It's weird, I've run into the opposite reaction. Everywhere I hear talk of Kamelot, the consensus seems to be "Ghost Opera was okay, but Black Halo is sooooooooooo much better." And I disagree. Ghost Opera is my favorite album, largely on the strength of the first few songs especially Rule the World which is my favorite Kamelot song) although I do like the entire album.
    The Black Halo was the first and last Kamelot album I really liked. There are a few good songs here and there. I liked Across the Highlands and A Feast For the Vain, and a few others, but Halo was the first album that I thought was great the whole way through.

Ghost Opera, for me, sounded like it was trying to emulate Halo. I didn't listen to too much of it, but I wasn't really impressed. That's just my impression though, and if Halo had never existed, then Ghost Opera would be a decent enough album on its own. It might just be that the Black Halo is a concept album, and I love looking for narrative clues and subtleties hidden throughout the lyrics.

I haven't listened to any post Opera Kamelot and I probably won't now that Roy's out. Symphonic metal really isn't my thing.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-01-09 at 12:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah I think It's pretty widely accepted among even Kamelot fans (myself included) that really there isn't much point in listening to anything before Karma or after The Black Halo. That said that three album span is really rather fantastic. I wish they would rerelease Epica sometime with the same production values as they had on The Black Halo though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Found out about these guys a few months ago and have been really digging them. That really crazy bad-trip-like section in The Madness and The Damage done is one of the trippiest things I've heard a non-Unexpect metal band do.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

I want to say something that may seem out of place. I love the bass. I really, REALLY love the bass. Best instrument ever, with the trumpet in a close second.

I love the bass solely because of how awesome Cliff Burton's performance in Kill 'Em All is.

13. - Top - End - #103

Tony Iommi diagnosed with lymphoma.

Well how about that Sabbath reunion then? Yeah, how about that.

took me a while to decide where I should pretend to have heard it from.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post

Numerous grandparents of mine have had (and survived, through treatment) some nasty cases of lymphoma. There's hope, especially seeing as this is a wealthy, famous man, and it's the early stages. Radiotherapy can help, if I remember correctly.

By numerous, I mean two. If I said "several" or "many", well, numerous dictates any number. Thus, two.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-01-09 at 10:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

That's... unfortunate. Here's to hoping he pulls through. Maybe Ozzy can lend him some of his mutant superhuman genes.

Also, I'd like to revise my previous statement. The new Alcest isn't good, it's ****ing epic. That is all.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Numerous grandparents of mine have had (and survived, through treatment) some nasty cases of lymphoma. There's hope, especially seeing as this is a wealthy, famous man, and it's the early stages. Radiotherapy can help, if I remember correctly.

By numerous, I mean two. If I said "several" or "many", well, numerous dictates any number. Thus, two.
    you do indeed remember correctly

I'm just here playing iron man on the geetar and sending bad vibes at the mean anti-metal cells
    My Metal Blog

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post

I'm such a good ninja that not only did I ninja you by several posts, even nobody caught it after the fact. Although you did have a link and stuff, so...

But yeah, it sucks. I know there's hope and all, but sometimes people take a turn for the worse pretty quickly. I can't forget how quickly Ronnie James Dio's health went bad after his stomach cancer was announced. So I'm hopeful for Tony Iommi, but in the back of my mind I'm really worried.

Yeah I think It's pretty widely accepted among even Kamelot fans (myself included) that really there isn't much point in listening to anything before Karma or after The Black Halo. That said that three album span is really rather fantastic. I wish they would rerelease Epica sometime with the same production values as they had on The Black Halo though.
    Siége Perilous is good for a listen once in awhile, though I'll admit it's a bit lacking in standout songs. The Fourth Legacy is actually pretty good, I'd say. Certainly it's no Ghost Opera or The Black Halo, but it's roughly comparable with Karma at least, and I actually like it better than Epica.

The two albums before Roy Khan joined the band are pretty awful though, I must admit.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

I enjoy The Fourth Legacy as well. Nights of Arabia springs to mind. But I do love Epica/Black Halo's narrative structure. I like concept albums.

I've been on a Bathory binge. Hammerheart, Nordland, Blood on Ice... it's glorious

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post

But yeah, it sucks. I know there's hope and all, but sometimes people take a turn for the worse pretty quickly. I can't forget how quickly Ronnie James Dio's health went bad after his stomach cancer was announced. So I'm hopeful for Tony Iommi, but in the back of my mind I'm really worried.
    fortunately they detected it a lot earlier in this case and thus have a better chance of fixing it
    My Metal Blog

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

So I'm trying to come up with a reason to listen to any metal that isn't Cassandra Syndrome.

Can't come up with one, really.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    fortunately they detected it a lot earlier in this case and thus have a better chance of fixing it
    Let me find a song that is appropriate only in title, that will prove my poor taste in metal.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Let me find a song that is appropriate only in title, that will prove my poor taste in metal.
    The top comment for that video:

"My iguana heard this. Now it's a dragon."

Yes.

23. - Top - End - #113

And now for my yearly contribution to the metal thread.

30 Pieces of Silver

The full CD finally came in the mail today. It has been a good day.
    Also known as Jarbis

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

What? Megadeth is ****ing awesome
    I thought everyone was against that kind of stuff. So I just shied away from mentioning it. Everyone's talking about bands I've never heard of. I have no knowledge of metal beyond the Big Four, Black Sabbath, AxCx, and a few others that are quite well known.

Closet metal fan? I love everything Metallica puts out, including Load, ReLoad, St. Anger, and Lulu.

I even have Acoustic Metal! HAH!
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-01-14 at 01:58 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

I thought everyone was against that kind of stuff. So I just shied away from mentioning it. Everyone's talking about bands I've never heard of. I have no knowledge of metal beyond the Big Four, Black Sabbath, AxCx, and a few others that are quite well known.

Closet metal fan? I love everything Metallica puts out, including Load, ReLoad, St. Anger, and Lulu.

I even have Acoustic Metal! HAH!
    Heh.

There seem to be lotsa power and symphonic metal fans here, some folk metal and a few black metallers here and there. Not so much thrash, I think.

Not a huge fan, myself. If I go old school, I'd rather go for the classic heavy metal and NWOBHM type stuff.

Speaking of: Axel Rudi Pell. Oh yeah.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

As far as the Big Four of thrash, I'm in general leaning towards Megadeth and Slayer rather than Metallica and Anthrax. But for the most part I'm more of a death metal fan if we're to choose one kind of metal in particular. Seems I'm in the minority here on that, though.
    I listen to Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, Kill 'Em All, and Master of Puppets, or at least one or two of them, every day. I started the bass because
    of Cliff Burton, I should note (and Scott Pilgrim, but whatever).

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Heh.

There seem to be lotsa power and symphonic metal fans here, some folk metal and a few black metallers here and there. Not so much thrash, I think.
    Well, then that needs to be remedied, does it not?

How about some new thrash similar to early Destruction?

On that note... How about some early Destruction?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    Well, then that needs to be remedied, does it not?

How about some new thrash similar to early Destruction?

On that note... How about some early Destruction?
    Militia of Death reminds me of Damage, Inc. I don't know why.

Speaking of militias related to metal...

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

I'm generally not that fond of Thrash, as I find it to often be somewhat repetitive and poorly sung. That said, there are some elements of Thrash that I really like, and when I can get on board with the vocals I usually enjoy the style. For example, I'd put the new Anthrax album in my top 5 for last year and this Death Angel song is awesome.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I'm not really a huge fan of traditional Death Metal, however, I do love Melodeath, like, a lot. Norther being one of my favorites.