New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

For a long time, there was a lot of hate towards Dragonforce in the metal community, starting right after Guitar Hero 3 came out. I know there are a few Dragonforce fans in the playground, and I am one myself. Is it generally accepted now that they're a decent band, if nothing spectacular?
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Maybe I'll start the metal equivalent of Diskmakers, and only do cassettes in runs of 666...
    Actually, I don't think it'd take more than a good printer, a cassette recorder, a pair of scissors, and an ungodly amount of free time to get that set up. Two outta four ain't bad, I guess.

Comrade, we should start the Tasteless Club. None of the tasteful kids allowed.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zocelot View Post
    For a long time, there was a lot of hate towards Dragonforce in the metal community, starting right after Guitar Hero 3 came out. I know there are a few Dragonforce fans in the playground, and I am one myself. Is it generally accepted now that they're a decent band, if nothing spectacular?
    Eh, I wouldn't know about Guitar Hero, but Dragonforce is one of those bands that don't take themselves overly seriously. Or used to, I kinda lost track of them for a few years. Anyway, their Sonic Firestorm album was pretty good, video game noises and all. Some nice solos in there as well.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    Tasteless, reporting in.
    You're a liar.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Unless they've learned to play their instruments and have stopped making wanky power metal, then I'd assume they are still pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    Maybe I'll start the metal equivalent of Diskmakers, and only do cassettes in runs of 666...
    Actually, I don't think it'd take more than a good printer, a cassette recorder, a pair of scissors, and an ungodly amount of free time to get that set up. Two outta four ain't bad, I guess.

Comrade, we should start the Tasteless Club. None of the tasteful kids allowed.
    Can I start the Kvlt Auxillary division?
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

the hate has calmed a bit

now its just the people who hate wanky power metal who don't like them which is more of a taste thing i guess...

in other news...
    i'm going to be meeting kirk hammet and rory trujillo in may...

i'm considering 2 options...

a. kissing their boots

b. being a prog snob and making fun of kirk for 2 hours straight (Constant Wah much?)... and then taking a video and posting it to youtube...
    Last edited by grimbold; 2012-01-27 at 06:17 PM.
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

the hate has calmed a bit

now its just the people who hate wanky power metal who don't like them which is more of a taste thing i guess...

in other news...
    i'm going to be meeting kirk hammet and rory trujillo in may...

i'm considering 2 options...

a. kissing their boots

b. being a prog snob and making fun of kirk for 2 hours straight (Constant Wah much?)... and then taking a video and posting it to youtube...
    I'll mail you my iPod if you can get Kirk to sign it. Of course, I'm heading to Gigantour. I must[aine] up you.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    I'll mail you my iPod if you can get Kirk to sign it. Of course, I'm heading to Gigantour. I must[aine] up you.
    we'll see...

i don't want you to go ipod-less for a while with no reward D:
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

we'll see...

i don't want you to go ipod-less for a while with no reward D:

I've got four.

An iPod Touch (main)
    A broken iPod Classic (junk)
    A used iPod Nano (ehh)
    A first gen iPod Nano (pointless)

I'd send the latter three. You can keep one of them.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-01-28 at 03:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250

To go back to that whole "best build-up" thing, digging out some Moonspell made me remember just how fantastic the introduction to At Tragic Heights is. Much of that is owed to Fernando's sexy, sexy voice. Seriously, if there were a way to marry just his voice...I'd do it.

On a somewhat related note, what's your favorite crushing, smash-in-the-door, "leave-that-wussy-build-up-out-of-this-and-get-straight-to-the-br00tality!" song? As an example, Silverback by Made Out Of Babies. The first time I heard it, it almost literally knocked me over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Pink, by Boris. Also, I'd like to nominate Jezebel, by Acid Bath, as "best first 20 seconds of a metal song". Which also falls under best build-up and best instant brootalz. Somehow.
    Last edited by Moff Chumley; 2012-01-29 at 02:10 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

I've got four.

An iPod Touch (main)
    A broken iPod Classic (junk)
    A used iPod Nano (ehh)
    A first gen iPod Nano (pointless)

I'd send the latter three. You can keep one of them.
    ok...
    i have to get more details,
    but i'll keep in touch.

also, I don't need an ipod...
    i have the big fancy 160gb version ;)
    My Metal Blog

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, on the subject of amazing intros, a few more: Darkthrone's "To Walk the Infernal Fields" is amazing. It's just so dramatic, especially when the drumming comes in. One of my favorite Darkthrone songs. Drudkh's "Все, Що Не Сказано Раніше (Everything Unsaid Before)" is another. Seriously, that solo. I'm normally not actually a huge solo fan because they're often there to just occupy the bridge and be omg awsum, but it's just so beautiful and fitting. Then of course there's the bassy part with the gentle drumming. Seriously the first third of that song is one amazing intro. Another is "Where the World Becomes Flesh" by The Axis of Perdition. I dunno how to even describe that one, just damn. They have a lot of good intros in general. "Pendulum Prey (The Second Incarceration)" is another great one. It's seriously spooky. Honestly I think it's the only time I've found a rock (in the broad sense, i.e. including metal, punk, rock, etc) based album scary. Most of the time the only time music ever gets frightening for me is heavy electronic music.

EDIT: Forgot "Amesoeurs" by Amesoeurs. I found Amesoeurs (so much eponymousity) to be pretty disappointing compared to Ruines Humaines, but it definitely had it's up points. I think "Amesoeurs" is a really wonderfully crafted song. It starts out very spartan. Sparse guitar and bass work and simple rock beat drumming, but gradually gains substance. The singing comes in, then hi-hat comes in with fuzzed out rhythm guitars in the background, before those delicious post-punk leads that dance around each other show up mid-way through. It's some very simple yet brilliant song-writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    On a somewhat related note, what's your favorite crushing, smash-in-the-door, "leave-that-wussy-build-up-out-of-this-and-get-straight-to-the-br00tality!" song? As an example, Silverback by Made Out Of Babies. The first time I heard it, it almost literally knocked me over.
    Either "Overlord" (dat sample) or "Spoils of the Sycophant", both by Skinless, both from Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead. It's one of the only modern DM albums I'm really crazy about.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-01-29 at 03:14 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

New Woods of Ypres.

Also to be their last.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

http://twoguysmetalreviews.blogspot....-artusato.html

my interview with francesco Artusato of all shall perish
    DIG IT

i know i have a pedophile voice...
    My Metal Blog

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    Ghost Division - Sabaton

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

I'd forgotten about Sabaton.

I can't help it, but I find their lead singer's voice hilarious.

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    New Woods of Ypres.

Also to be their last.
    Yeah, it's a damn shame about David Golds death. Though, I thought I read somewhere that Joel Violette was going to try to continue the WoY tradition...or something.

From the (apparently label-sanctioned) leak, it sounds like it may not have been his best work, but it was pointing him in a direction that would take him to creating his best work. The only song I can't in good conscience call "great" is Career Suicide (Is Not Real Suicide), because much like Wet Leather from WIV, it's overwrought nearly to the point of silliness. It is, however, still really good. Lightning & Snow, Traveling Alone, and Death Is Not An Exit are probably my favorites. I will definitely be buying this.

And yes, the Sabaton singer is hilarious.
    Last edited by Marillion; 2012-01-31 at 07:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

I've been listening to Th1rt3en lately, and enjoying the hell out of it. I can list my favorite tracks on the album here:

• Sudden Death
    • Never Dead
    • Deadly Nightshade
    • Black Swan
    • Wrecker
    • We the People

It's really worth listening to, and definitely captures that Megadeth heavy-thrash feel. Especially Black Swan, which opens with a wild flurry of notes, and quickly pulls into a heavy riff.

Also, watch Public Enemy No. 1's music video. Hilarious.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

I missed Nargaroth's last album in 2011.
    Nice stuff.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I missed Nargaroth's last album in 2011.
    Nice stuff.
    I heard it was pretty bad overall but had some good moments. Have you heard it in its entirety? How is it?

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

I was super into grind for a while and listened to Phantom Limb for a while and liked but didn't love it. Haven't listened to anything else of theirs so I'm not sure if I can make a perfect judgment, though yes, I've listened to them.

If you want any grind recommendations, I'd be happy to offer.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

I've had my heart set on getting into Noisegrind beyond AxCx and White Mice... any recommendations?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Discordance Axis I guess?

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    I heard it was pretty bad overall but had some good moments. Have you heard it in its entirety? How is it?
    I'm still "exploring" it.
    A good half of the album is very electronic (not my cup of black coffee, I must say), but indeed there are good songs also.
    The title track and A Whisper Underneath the Bark of old Trees are little masterpieces (and those alone are 25 minutes). Very evocative atmospheres.
    If you want speed and black destruction, is not recommended.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-02-02 at 05:26 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

I'm still "exploring" it.
    A good half of the album is very electronic (not my cup of black coffee, I must say), but indeed there are good songs also.
    The title track and A Whisper Underneath the Bark of old Trees are little masterpieces (and those alone are 25 minutes). Very evocative atmospheres.
    If you want speed and black destruction, is not recommended.
    I love or at least like all subgenres and styles of black metal with a few exceptions (NSBM, 99% of the post-rock tinged BM fad, most symphonic BM). I even like Liturgy! At least their first album. The problem I heard about it is that it's apparently uncomfortably similar to Burzum's Filosofem. I will check it out at some point, though, because I liked Jahreszeiten and thought the Rasluka EPs were pretty decent.

EDIT: It sounds like Ash listened to a load of Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem and decided to rip off it. I suggest you check out those two albums if you haven't.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-02-02 at 03:26 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

i only really dig Emperor and symphonic BM

however if i'm feel really annoyed i will go for some of the seriously black stuff
    My Metal Blog

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

I like Dimmu Borgir.

There, I said it.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    EDIT: It sounds like Ash listened to a load of Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem and decided to rip off it. I suggest you check out those two albums if you haven't.
    Good to know. My only experience with Burzum is limited to Det som engang war, and I wasn't particularly impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    I like Dimmu Borgir.

There, I said it.
    What's not to like in Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions, or Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia?
    (Must be said that, after Death Cult Armageddon, I losed 'em., so cannot speak for their more recent material)
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-02-03 at 04:49 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Good to know. My only experience with Burzum is limited to Det som engang war, and I wasn't particularly impressed.
    I like Hlidskjalf, that one dark ambient album of his, but that's about it.

What's not to like in Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions, or Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia?
    (Must be said that, after Death Cult Armageddon, I losed 'em., so cannot speak for their more recent material)
    I haven't actually heard anything after Death Cult Armageddon, so I wouldn't know either. But that and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia was pretty damn good.