New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim III: I took an arrow to the knee, then I reversed a meme.

Well, this is what my adventures in texture editing have yielded.

(spoilered for bigmclargehuge 1920x1080 screenshot)
    Spoiler
    Show

Happy Talosmas!
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

The reason the Thalmor banned the worship of Talos is because he used to force the elves to work in his workshops.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Okay, here's a silly question. Which of these two swords seems more like Excalibur to you guys?

Imperial...

Spoiler
    Show

...or Elven?

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd say elven, imperial is too generic, elven looks kingly. Plus in the myth wasn't Excalibur a fey sword?

4. - Top - End - #304

Just about done with the DB questline, almost cried at... well you know what I'm referring to if you've done it. I actually love those npcs, shame about what happened.

Spoiler
    Show
    The sense of betrayal I felt was spot on, man it was a good questline!

5. - Top - End - #305
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hello.. I have a question
    I want to buy skyrim, i have the credit card to buy it.. if i buy it by steam in ARGENTINA i can download it here and also my brother that is in EEUU can download it if i give him the acc and password?
    Thanks.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Istari View Post
    I'd say elven, imperial is too generic, elven looks kingly. Plus in the myth wasn't Excalibur a fey sword?
    Well, that's never really clear in the legend. The Lady of the Lake is identified with the fey in some adaptations or interpretations. Other times, she's some version of a pre-Christian goddess. The only thing that's truly consistent about her is that she's the Lady of the Lake. No one knows who or what she is. Only that she IS.

Besides, there are also versions of the legend that depict Excalibur as a Roman blade, tying it in with the interpretation that Arthur was part of a sort of Romano-British remnant.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, that's never really clear in the legend. The Lady of the Lake is identified with the fey in some adaptations or interpretations. Other times, she's some version of a pre-Christian goddess. The only thing that's truly consistent about her is that she's the Lady of the Lake. No one knows who or what she is. Only that she IS.

Besides, there are also versions of the legend that depict Excalibur as a Roman blade, tying it in with the interpretation that Arthur was part of a sort of Romano-British remnant.
    And isn't Excalibur sometimes also the Sword in the Stone?

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Arthurian Myth, and it's good at a lot of things. It's just that consistency isn't one of them.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Banned

I never understood why everyone is always so fixated on Excalibur when the scabbard supposedly made its wearer immortal in battle. I'd rather have that myself. I personally tend to view Mallory as the true canon for my King Arthur legends (just a personal preference, I'm not trying to claim this) but I honestly don't think he ever actually describes the sword.

Usually it's depicted as a generic steel longsword with gold trim.

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    And isn't Excalibur sometimes also the Sword in the Stone?

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Arthurian Myth, and it's good at a lot of things. It's just that consistency isn't one of them.
    In some stories. They're very definitely supposed to be two different swords though.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2011-12-11 at 12:29 AM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I never understood why everyone is always so fixated on Excalibur when the scabbard supposedly made its wearer immortal in battle. I'd rather have that myself. I personally tend to view Mallory as the true canon for my King Arthur legends (just a personal preference, I'm not trying to claim this) but I honestly don't think he ever actually describes the sword.

Usually it's depicted as a generic steel longsword with gold trim.
    What about Tennyson?

There drew he forth the brand Excalibur,
    And o’er him, drawing it, the winter moon,
    Brightening the skirts of a long cloud, ran forth
    And sparkled keen with frost against the hilt:
    For all the haft twinkled with diamond sparks,
    Myriads of topaz-lights, and jacinth-work
    Of subtlest jewellery.

Or The Mabinogeon?

Then they heard Cadwr Earl of Cornwall being summoned, and saw him rise with Arthur's sword in his hand, with a design of two chimeras on the golden hilt; when the sword was unsheathed what was seen from the mouths of the two chimeras was like two flames of fire, so dreadful that it was not easy for anyone to look. At that the host settled and the commotion subsided, and the earl returned to his tent.

In some stories. They're very definitely supposed to be two different swords though.
    This is why I like the movie Excalibur. They came up with a way to combine them that made sense.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

10. - Top - End - #310

According to the Majority of Lore, The sword in the stone was his father's blade, enchanted and set into the stone to determine the next king. Excalibur was the sword given to him by the lady in the lake, and after discovering the scabbard's immortality ability, he discarded it, as he felt it was not knightly to use.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

11. - Top - End - #311
    Banned

What about Tennyson?

There drew he forth the brand Excalibur,
    And o’er him, drawing it, the winter moon,
    Brightening the skirts of a long cloud, ran forth
    And sparkled keen with frost against the hilt:
    For all the haft twinkled with diamond sparks,
    Myriads of topaz-lights, and jacinth-work
    Of subtlest jewellery.

Or The Mabinogeon?

Then they heard Cadwr Earl of Cornwall being summoned, and saw him rise with Arthur's sword in his hand, with a design of two chimeras on the golden hilt; when the sword was unsheathed what was seen from the mouths of the two chimeras was like two flames of fire, so dreadful that it was not easy for anyone to look. At that the host settled and the commotion subsided, and the earl returned to his tent.

This is why I like the movie Excalibur. They came up with a way to combine them that made sense.
    Use whatever you like, but Malory predates those writings by about 500 years. If he didn't know how to describe it, I doubt anyone can provide an actual canon reference for the sword. Just go with what you like.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2011-12-11 at 12:58 AM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed. Caliburn is the Sword in the Stone, and Excalibur was given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake. VERY different blades, as Excalibur came with a magic sheath, and Caliburn... Did not, since it was in a stone.

Random Arthurian myth info: He had a magic dagger (Carnwennan), a magic spear (Rhongomyniad), and a third sword (Clarent- a sword for peaceful purposes, like knighting- also the sword used by Mordred to strike Arthur down).

The more you know!
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Use whatever you like, but Malory predates those writings by about 500 years. If he didn't know how to describe it, I doubt anyone can provide an actual canon reference for the sword. Just go with what you like.
    But I don't KNOW what I like! Everything looks so cool I can't decide! And isn't the Mabinogeon supposed to be older than even Geoffrey of Monmouth?
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2011-12-11 at 01:14 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Zousha, have you thought about using a mod? There's some nice texture mods that make ebony silver, which looks very paladin-y and reduces your need to optimize to be able to have good quality armor.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

I do not use mods. Period.

I'm going with ebony anyway. Black armor's okay as long as it looks heroic. The only thing I take issue with is the Ebony Sword. Because it's curved. You know what King Arthur didn't have? Curved. Swords.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2011-12-11 at 02:19 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

I do not use mods. Period.
    Why not? Unless we covered this already and I missed it, in which case nevermind.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Why not? Unless we covered this already and I missed it, in which case nevermind.
    Texture replacers are only barely mods anyway. Outside of aesthetics they don't change much with the game.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Indeed. Caliburn is the Sword in the Stone, and Excalibur was given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake. VERY different blades, as Excalibur came with a magic sheath, and Caliburn... Did not, since it was in a stone.

Random Arthurian myth info: He had a magic dagger (Carnwennan), a magic spear (Rhongomyniad), and a third sword (Clarent- a sword for peaceful purposes, like knighting- also the sword used by Mordred to strike Arthur down).

The more you know!
    Except that Caliburn isn't actually the name of the Sword in the Stone (at least, not outside of the Nasuverse). Caliburn is simply another name for Excalibur, and both share their origins in the sword's Welsh name: Caledfwlch.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Banned

I think the Glass or Dwarven swords looks more or less like Excalibur depending if you want style & fantasy or realistic, but you should probably go with a Honed Ancient Nordic swords for flavor. They aren't bad looking or terribly bad statwise

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Except that Caliburn isn't actually the name of the Sword in the Stone (at least, not outside of the Nasuverse). Caliburn is simply another name for Excalibur, and both share their origins in the sword's Welsh name: Caledfwlch.
    Let's build a character on a more detailed and easily confirmed English myth: Robin Hood. ...Oh wait...
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

Caliburn is simply another name for Excalibur, and both share their origins in the sword's Welsh name: Caledfwlch.
    The mind boggles at how 'dfwlch' became 'bur'.
    Truth resists simplicity.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    It all apparently started when Geoffrey of Monmouth latinised it as Caliburnus. From there, it did the usual English thing of everyone spelling it their own way (Calabrun, Calabrum, Calibourne, Callibourc, Calliborc, Calibourch, Escaliborc, Escalibor, etc.) until Excalibur became more or less the standard.

The progression all makes perfect sense... once you get past that first jump... where dfwlch becomes bur...

Yeah, I guess that one's still a bit of a mystery.
    Last edited by VanBuren; 2011-12-11 at 03:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    You try to pronounce dfwlch and see how it comes out.

Someone probably just went screw this bur will bloody do. *Sips tea since all british from all ages are stereotypical upper-middleclass from the 19th-20th century*
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

24. - Top - End - #324
    Firbolg in the Playground

Caldfwylch, Caledfuilch, Caleduilch Calibuirc, Escalibuirn, Excalbuir, Excalibur. That's how. The 'w' makes a 'u' sound, the 'y' an 'i' sound. the 'ch' isn't as in Chair, but as in Bach or Loch. Makes sense to me.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nhbdy View Post
    I may need to sig this, with permission of course
    Mine as well. :P

EDIT: Leave it to Gwyn to be able to actually parse apart the linguistic evolution of something from Welsh.

Because, you know, he's Welsh.
    Last edited by Deth Muncher; 2011-12-11 at 12:00 PM.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    I've tried to download mods before, namely in Morrowind, and I haven't gotten a single one to work right. Besides, many of them use WinRAR, something I don't have or know how to use.

And I feel the vanilla game is just fine (even with the bugs). I've got nothing against how Ebony Armor looks. I was just wondering if it fit the flavor of the character I was trying to create. The closest I come to mods these days are paid-for DLC, which are easy and safe to install.

27. - Top - End - #327

I've tried to download mods before, namely in Morrowind, and I haven't gotten a single one to work right. Besides, many of them use WinRAR, something I don't have or know how to use.

And I feel the vanilla game is just fine (even with the bugs). I've got nothing against how Ebony Armor looks. I was just wondering if it fit the flavor of the character I was trying to create. The closest I come to mods these days are paid-for DLC, which are easy and safe to install.
    I don't use winrar either, and when I modded morrowind, I used 7zip, which is free to get from the internet and simple to use, if you are interested links can be provided...

28. - Top - End - #328
    Dwarf in the Playground

I respect your decision, but it's the complete opposite with me; I can't leave any games I own alone. In order to have any replayability to me, a game has to be modable.

I know I'm in the minority (compare games sales with downloads on modding sites, mod users are the minority), but I find it interesting how there are such different approaches to gaming.
    If my posts contain any grammar mistakes please inform me about it.
    This is not sarcasm, if you're wondering

29. - Top - End - #329

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    EDIT: Leave it to Gwyn to be able to actually parse apart the linguistic evolution of something from Welsh.

Because, you know, he's Welsh.
    Not actually Welsh, just interested in Wales.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

30. - Top - End - #330

Huh, weird from my point of view, since I try to make sure I get Bethesda games for the PC simply because of mods - I've always said that really, you need mods to play Bethesda games, simply because of all the stuff available.