New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim III: I took an arrow to the knee, then I reversed a meme.

I used to post in Skyrim threads but then I took an arrow in the meme.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay so, I've only just starting to get into Skyrim. It's more entertaining than Oblivion at least.

From perusing the threads though, I see that magic is pretty much useless because a good sword seems to kill everything. Which ruins my idea of dual wielding fireballs and and combining them into a Hadoken at my leisure.

So, whats an easy way to actually get through the game? I've only managed to kill the first dragon on my first save file (after countless reloads because stupid me drew its attention so it turned me into original recipe style nord), and so far I've got pretty much all my perks in Destruction with one or 2 in healing and conjuration, but so far I've had more luck using Heal and a sword and just spamming the heal while the mages beat me up.

I'm actually debating going dual wield, heavy armor sword guy, or light armor single sword and bow guy.

Also, does it make a difference who you escape with at the start?
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    Also, does it make a difference who you escape with at the start?
    Nope. The only difference is that one suggest you to join the imperials in the civil war while the other one tells you about the Stormcloak rebellion, activating the corresponding quests. But, in fact, you can choose to enroll in either side no matter what, and speaking with the random Stormcloak/Imperial soldiers you sometimes find walking around can activate the other joining quest in your journal.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krosta View Post
    Nope. The only difference is that one suggest you to join the imperials in the civil war while the other one tells you about the Stormcloak rebellion, activating the corresponding quests. But, in fact, you can choose to enroll in either side no matter what, and speaking with the random Stormcloak/Imperial soldiers you sometimes find walking around can activate the other joining quest in your journal.
    I went with the Imperial guy because A) I am an Orc, and as such not very much liked by the racist Nords but seen by Imperials as the trusted backbone of the legions. Plus, even though his commander wanted me dead, HE is clearly the most sympathetic guy at the start; he takes time to save a kid, while the Nord guy just runs off and hide in a tower.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

From perusing the threads though, I see that magic is pretty much useless because a good sword seems to kill everything. Which ruins my idea of dual wielding fireballs and and combining them into a Hadoken at my leisure.
    I won't lie to you, if you use destruction magic the way it's presented, it gets a bit weak. It's pretty darn awesome early on, but the damage doesn't rise as fast as the enemy HP. However, if you max out your enchanting skill, you can make four +25% fortify destruction items (head, chest, ring, amulet), reducing your cost to 0. With these on, Destruction goes from a mid-grade, resource-hogging, poor man's archery to becoming a lot of fun and free to use at will.

It gets even better with the Master level spells. The lightning one roots you to the ground, but allows you to unleash a constant barrage of heavily damaging electricity in any direction you look for as long as your magicka holds out (with those items, that won't be an issue). It's like having a 200 foot long plasma chainsaw at your command, and you can't tell me that's not cool. The fire one is also good, but not useful if you keep companions, as it's an ridiculously damaging area of effect with no consideration for friendly fire.

So, whats an easy way to actually get through the game? I've only managed to kill the first dragon on my first save file (after countless reloads because stupid me drew its attention so it turned me into original recipe style nord), and so far I've got pretty much all my perks in Destruction with one or 2 in healing and conjuration, but so far I've had more luck using Heal and a sword and just spamming the heal while the mages beat me up.
    If you want "easy", the combination I know of is Sneaking, Archery, Smithing, Alchemy, and Enchanting. Archery is sickeningly powerful, especially if the bow is upgraded using a smithy skill augmented by fortify smithing potions and enchants. You can get to 50 archery right up front really easy by helping Feindal (the bosmer woodcutter in Riverwood) get his girl. He'll join as a follower if you ask him afterwards, and any money you spend training archery with him goes straight into his inventory, which you can then access to pay for more training. You only can train 5 points per level, but it's not hard to level up at that point.

The second "easy" way I could suggest is the bound weapon route. For three perks, you can get a cheap, weightless, soul-trapping, disarm-proof weapon with power that rivals a daedric weapon at level 4 (if you work on your conjuring early, Bretons have a lead there by starting with Summon Familiar). Smithing is more powerful in the long run, but there's a lot of style in fashioning blades out of raw energy to fight your foe. (And if you take Novice casting for Conjuration, the cost of Bound Sword goes under 50, meaning that anyone can cast it in both hands and dual wield without any points put into magicka or item enchantment.)

I'm actually debating going dual wield, heavy armor sword guy, or light armor single sword and bow guy.
    Dual wield is the most offensive there, but doesn't have any blocking options. You're all offense, and you're only protection is killing your enemy sooner. Two-handed weapons are powerful and you can block with them, but they're slow and the blocking isn't as effective as with a shield. Sword and Shield is surprisingly fun: get the last perk for blocking and you can just overrun your enemies, tossing them like ragdolls with your shield. Sword and Magic is also a good call, and very versatile.

Archery requires two hands, so it doesn't matter which of the four setups you use for melee. Archery is quite powerful, but you have to aim a little low, as the auto-aim overcorrects a bit for gravity.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

If they fix resistances, give your dunmer companion +50% fire resist gear and you'll not worry about friendly fire ever again.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

Shield & magic is really fun. Shield bash an enemy to stagger them & interrupt their attacks, then Lightning Bolt them across the room.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Oh and btw... I am so not getting a dog this time. Dogmeat is a GENIUS compared to these wolfhounds.

"Oh look! A corridor! I'll park myself sideways across it right in front of my new master! Because that shows how much I love him!"

and

"Oh a pressure plate on the floor! I have to step on it! Two times! OOps my master got stabbed in the back by a spiked iron gate. twice. My bad."
    (due to two pair of legs far appart...)

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

What the Maven.

Skyrim randomly shut down on me today. TWICE. WHAT UP WITH THAT?

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I used to post in Skyrim threads but then I took an arrow in the meme.
    These kinds of threads always have a title like that. What makes this one any different?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-12-06 at 08:40 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    What the Maven.

Skyrim randomly shut down on me today. TWICE. WHAT UP WITH THAT?

These kinds of threads always have a title like that. What makes this one any different?
    It was meant in jest.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've found that certain magic items are much mush more powerful then most Perks. Take a look at Volendrung, the Ebony Blade, Ebony Mail, Spellbreaker, Azura's Star/Black Star, and/or Morokei. In a way, it makes me want to build my character based on the magic items available.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    I've found that certain magic items are much mush more powerful then most Perks. Take a look at Volendrung, the Ebony Blade, Ebony Mail, Spellbreaker, Azura's Star/Black Star, and/or Morokei. In a way, it makes me want to build my character based on the magic items available.
    You will notice I have printed out your tip sheet for my restart tonight.

Also, am I twisted for seeing most female orcs and go "Yeah, I'd definitely hit that."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Personally, I feel like Vokun (or whichever mask is more relevant to your preferred school) is a better choice than Morokei. I can't prove it because I'm unsure of how magicka regen is slowed during combat, but the -cost seems more useful in my anecdotal experience. I already have the -50% cost perks, so -15% from Archmage Robes and -20% from the mask makes my Conjuration/Illusion spells cost very little. I only cast a couple of spells from other schools anyway.
    (Note: If the cost effects line up in the same way as armor enchants, that means a total cost of 15%. (100-(50+20+15) If it is the more logical method it is ~33% (100*.5*.8*.85))

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

What exactly makes Azura's Star more useful than the Black Star? It's not readily apparent to me.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

The things that you can soul-trap in it you generally don't get in trouble for killing, and are things you generally need to kill anyway. The Black Star requires human souls, and unless you go bandit hunting, you're not going to find many volunteers. If you fill it with NPC souls, you'll not only risk a bounty on your head, but whatever services or quests that NPC provided. And some are essential, so if you strike the wrong person thinking to trap their soul, you're gonna be in for a world of hurt. Plus it's just a little easier on the conscience.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2011-12-06 at 11:12 AM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

16. - Top - End - #106

RogueGuy

Thank you Zousha, I couldn't quite make out that distinction. So Azura's Star cannot trap human souls then?

In that case, I'll probably end up going with the Black Star, considering my characters almost always end up joining the Dark Brotherhood (which means there should be a plentiful supply of... resources for the Black Star to harvest). I tend to not put too much of myself into my TES avatars, so conscience usually doesn't come into play.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Humanoid souls are also more often then not of better quality then the soul from an equivalent animal.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

18. - Top - End - #108

And, let's be honest, they taste better.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

And if you're ever short on bandits then you hand out in way too boring places.
    Last edited by Opperhapsen; 2011-12-06 at 11:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Oh and btw... I am so not getting a dog this time. Dogmeat is a GENIUS compared to these wolfhounds.

"Oh look! A corridor! I'll park myself sideways across it right in front of my new master! Because that shows how much I love him!"

and

"Oh a pressure plate on the floor! I have to step on it! Two times! OOps my master got stabbed in the back by a spiked iron gate. twice. My bad."
    (due to two pair of legs far appart...)
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the dog you used was Barbas? As nice as having an immortal Daedric demi-prince sounds, Big B is usually far more trouble than he's worth. Meeko isn't nearly as annoying, though I must admit to leaving him at the entrance when I suspect a dungeon to be trap-happy, as dogs and followers alike can get into way too much trouble, there.

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    And if you're ever short on bandits then you hand out in way too boring places.
    The Silent Moons Camp northwest of Whiterun seems to be home to a respawning group of bandits. At the very least, if you don't go into the lower entrance and kill ALL of them, they will respawn.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2011-12-06 at 12:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Situation View Post
    Seeing as he took Assassin's Blade, he's probably using daggers. The prerequisite feats aren't doing him much good, but really there's not anything he can do about that. I think Armsman does affect daggers though, so points there are arguably put to good use. He's probably wearing the Dark Brotherhood gloves that double his sneak multiplier as well, so with Illusion he calms down enemies to get multiple 30x damage sneak attacks.

Anyway, here's what I think:
    Illusion - Keep in mind that the bonuses to the Illusion types from your perks are added into the spell effect before dual casting takes effect. So a Master level calm effect with Animage would be (25+8)x2 and a Master level calm effect with Animage and Hypnotic Gaze would be (25+8+8)x2. If you really want to skimp you coul probably roll with just Kindred and Animage.

Conjuration - The Thrall spells (IE Master Conjuration) are pretty lame. If you just want zombies, as your perk selection would suggest, the Master level perk would just be a waste.Nevermind, I forgot Dead Thrall was a Master level spell.

Sneak - Your Sneak perks are fine, Shadow Warrior is cool but keep in mind that the confusion only lasts about a second.

Light Armor - Deft Movement could be taken out, you probably don't want to be hit in Light Armor anyway (especially since you don't have Smithing to boost your Armor Rating). It will arguably save your life on certain occasions but I wouldn't count on it.
    ok, so you seem to advocate less spending on illusion, as with kindred mage and dual cast I can hit 50 with the dual cast, which makes one side of the tree fairly weak, now considering I like frenzy effects... a lot... does this still hold (I'm asking because I've seen frenzy spells have lower caps than their level-equivalent calm and fear spells)?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

OOOooo, Perk Calculator.

Currently, my Redguard is looking at something like this.

Thoughts?
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    OOOooo, Perk Calculator.

Currently, my Redguard is looking at something like this.

Thoughts?
    It looks a bit scattered, obviously you are a heavy dual wielding character with light armor, with smithing you should hit the armor cap with dragon scale armor if you decide to, your perks are scattered an awful lot in the thief constellations, I'd recommend losing a few of those skills (especially lockpicking and speech) and focus them on other areas, the backstab sounds like it works for what you are going for, so no real issues there, the enchanting is committed enough that you don't want to lose it, but not committed enough to do a lot of crazy stuff in it either, the first perk is a real big one to max out, and how you get to the last one is less important that getting there, though skillful and corpus are generally seen as more optimal than the damage ones, but good build though, looks like a solid ambusher/skirmisher

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    What exactly makes Azura's Star more useful than the Black Star? It's not readily apparent to me.
    Nothing. The Black Star is patently superior, as I'll get to in a moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    The Black Star requires human souls.
    This is the beautiful bit; it doesn't. The Black Star will take any sort of soul, human or animal. I've tested it. The quest giver and description lie to you; the Black Star is the superior choice, as long as you don't mind pissing off Azura and missing out on her priestess as a possible companion.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the dog you used was Barbas? As nice as having an immortal Daedric demi-prince sounds, Big B is usually far more trouble than he's worth. Meeko isn't nearly as annoying, though I must admit to leaving him at the entrance when I suspect a dungeon to be trap-happy, as dogs and followers alike can get into way too much trouble, there.
    Nono this was Vigilance and Meeko.

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Humanoid souls are also more often then not of better quality then the soul from an equivalent animal.
    AFAIK, both Mammoths and Giants ALWAYS produce great souls.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2011-12-06 at 04:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    This is the beautiful bit; it doesn't. The Black Star will take any sort of soul, human or animal. I've tested it. The quest giver and description lie to you; the Black Star is the superior choice, as long as you don't mind pissing off Azura and missing out on her priestess as a possible companion.
    Which is, of course, a bug, so don't rely on it staying that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    AFAIK, both Mammoths and Giants ALWAYS produce great souls.
    Giants are Greater (second best) while Mammoths are Grand (best). Human/Black souls are always equal to Grand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by TamerBill View Post
    Which is, of course, a bug, so don't rely on it staying that way.
    Why, black soul gems take any soul, why should the star be any different?
    ~ZA

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by ZeltArruin View Post
    Why, black soul gems take any soul, why should the star be any different?
    hmmm... let's see what the quest dialogue and the item description says...

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nhbdy View Post
    ok, so you seem to advocate less spending on illusion, as with kindred mage and dual cast I can hit 50 with the dual cast, which makes one side of the tree fairly weak, now considering I like frenzy effects... a lot... does this still hold (I'm asking because I've seen frenzy spells have lower caps than their level-equivalent calm and fear spells)?
    The reason for that is because there is no Expert Frenzy spell. it goes from Novice>Adept>Master. The Master level spell is set to level 25 creatures.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨