New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default A Three villian team up!

Well I've decided to pester my group with a three villian ambush! But I'm going to need some help with them so lets get started. Basically what I need is suggestions for feats, and equipment besides their weapons I want to make these guys nasty and fun their going up against five level 10 characters fighter (Tank), ranger(Damage), druid(Wild Shape), cleric(Healing), and sorcerer (Nuke). Each one of the pc's have been optimized to do certain things really well.

First:

Paladin of Tyranny 10/Marshal 5
    Race: Human
    HP: 270
    Str:16 (3)
    Dex:14 (2)
    Con:22 (6)
    Int:14 (2)
    Wis:18 (4)
    Cha:20 (5)
    Weapon: Purple Wurm Queen/Medium +3 Long Sword/When a command phrase is spoken the blade is automatically covered in Purple Wurm Poison.

Second:

Paladin of Tyranny 10/Blackguard 5
    Hp: 225
    Str: 22 (6)
    Dex: 14 (2)
    Con: 20 (5)
    Int: 14 (2)
    Wis:16 (3)
    Cha:18 (4)
    Weapon: Wyvern Fang/Medium +3 Greatsword/When a command phrase is spoken the blade is automatically covered in Wyvern Poison.

Third:
    Hexblade 10/Paladin of Tyranny 5
    HP: 210
    Str: 18 (4)
    Dex: 16 (3)
    Con:18 (4)
    Int: 14 (2)
    Wis: 14 (2)
    Cha: 26 (8)
    Weapon: Deathblade/Medium +3 Scimitar/When a command phrase is spoken the blade is automatically covered in Deathblade Poison.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: A Three villian team up!

Ugh! What's with all the paladin levels? What exactly is their area of expertise again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

3. - Top - End - #3

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    Ugh! What's with all the paladin levels? What exactly is their area of expertise again?
    Basically mess with saves and use poisoned weapons, minor spells, and buffs from the marshal levels plus paladin of tyranny and blackguard have synergy. The idea for these guys though is their commanders in an army unit.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

The thing about those builds is that one character of 5 levels lower (Hexblade 4/Paladin of Tyranny 3/Blackguard 3 with Master of Poisons and a bucket of poison) does their entire thing by himself. To this one guy I would add a straight Crusader and a Paladin of Tyranny 4/Fighter 2/Crusader 1/Divine Crusader 7 - the Crusader should slap them around with maneuvers that have saving throws, and the Divine Crusader should do the same using his spellcasting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Are you open to the idea of using monsters as npcs? One build I have in mind is a medusa hexblade6 (cr10 using non-associated rules). She can debuff with curses, petrify the party, makes a decent archer and has a racial cha bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Griffon

Name them Jason, Fred, and Michael.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Cleric and Druid can take care of poison reeeaaallly easily. If they know what's coming, they can cast Delay Poison, a measly 2nd level spell, on the whole party every day and not worry about it until they can prepare Neutralize Poison the next day.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

In that case, be sure to slap some dispelling capability on your guys. Dispelling in general is a good idea when facing Clerics and Druids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

Throw in an evil cleric in there instead of one of the paladins full plate good melee and full caster levels just even the fields a little

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    In that case, be sure to slap some dispelling capability on your guys. Dispelling in general is a good idea when facing Clerics and Druids.
    Sure, I guess. But that wastes one or more combat actions from the bad guys to remove a previously-cast buff of a lower spell level. Some kind of dispelling screen might work.

In general, a more diverse trio of villains might be more challenging. You don't have to have evil paladins as your evil commanders. You can just put an evil sorcerer or a shapeshifting monster in a uniform and tell your players he's an evil paladin commander. It might surprise them if they're expecting to face something different.