Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins VIII: This Thread Contains An Unexpected Variable

Let's move on to
    Spoiler
    Show
    The healing water! IS there any of it in D&D? I'm believing that they will have to end the cycle of death. I have to remind you that they are in a race which they will have dejavu if all of them die and failed.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I dont recall reading much dwarven hate for trees before oots. Most dwarves I read about just state a preference for caves. Not a hatred for greenery taller than they are.
    You don't remember Gimli's fear of Fangorn Forest?

At least in the book, he moved into that forest only VERY reluctantly.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    You don't remember Gimli's fear of Fangorn Forest?

At least in the book, he moved into that forest only VERY reluctantly.
    I thought that was because it was haunted?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ogre in the Playground

For anyone who cares, it looks like Thunt is using this instead of the official Extra Rage, because he thinks +2 rages for one feat is overpowered.

I disagree, but it looks like there's at least an explanation for the discrepancy.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

5. - Top - End - #1235

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I thought that was because it was haunted?
    A bit, but it was also a thing later in the series.

Gimli didn't like forests, but loved caves

Legolas loved forests, but hated caves

When they struck up a friendship, they sort of made an exchange in an effort to beat their fears. Gimli would take Legolas to see the mineral beauty of certain cave formations they discovered during their adventure, and Legolas would, with Treebeard's permission this time, explore the old wood with Gimli.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Pixie in the Playground

I was thinking the same thing:

They rode in silence for a while; but Legolas was ever glancing from side to side, and would often have halted to listen to the sounds of the wood, if Gimli had allowed it.

"These are the strangest trees that ever I saw," he said; "and I have seen many an oak grow from acorn to ruinous age. I wish that there was leisure now to walk among them: they have voices, and in time I might come to understand their thought."

"No, no!" said Gimli. "Let us leave them! I guess their thoughts already: hatred of all that go on two legs; and their speech is of crushing and strangling."

"Not of all that go on two legs," said Legolas. "There I think you are wrong. It is Orcs that they hate. For they do not belong here and know little of Elves and Men. Far away are the valleys where they sprang. From the deep dales of Fangorn, Gimli, that is whence they come, I guess."

"Then that is the most perilous wood in Middle-earth," said Gimli. "I should be grateful for the part they have played, but I do not love them. You may think them wonderful, but I have seen a greater wonder in this land, more beautiful than any grove or glade that ever grew: my heart is full of it..."

Here is a link to the rest of that section: http://www.iment.com/maida/tv/lordof...olasquotes.htm (about two thirds down the page)

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    A bit, but it was also a thing later in the series.

Gimli didn't like forests, but loved caves

Legolas loved forests, but hated caves

When they struck up a friendship, they sort of made an exchange in an effort to beat their fears. Gimli would take Legolas to see the mineral beauty of certain cave formations they discovered during their adventure, and Legolas would, with Treebeard's permission this time, explore the old wood with Gimli.
    But thats the thing, he hated the forest of lothlorien, not because of the trees, but because of the "evil sorceress" or whatever description he used to describe galadriel. He didnt want to go into fangorn, not because "TREES AAAAGGH!" but because he had heard all sorts of horrible rumors of what goes on in there. (Turns out he was right) He didnt like forests, but he wasnt afraid of them.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ettin in the Playground

Now that explains the Durkon's (and OOTS) dwarves fear of trees).
    I though OOTS is the only comic to show Tree fearing dwarves. But many games show Dwarves harvesting trees (Dwarf Fortress).
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Level in Barbarian, totally called it.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Banned

I think it stems more from the rivalry between elves and dwarves in fiction than anything. Elves are hippy tree huggers. Thus dwarves must dislike trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    For anyone who cares, it looks like Thunt is using this instead of the official Extra Rage, because he thinks +2 rages for one feat is overpowered.

I disagree, but it looks like there's at least an explanation for the discrepancy.
    Not really in character for MinMax to take a sub-optimized feat instead of a better one just because the other one is overpowered though...
    Last edited by Anteros; 2012-04-29 at 06:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

What do you want to bet that the water isn't just healing. Maybe it's immortality for reptiles only, and since Kin is half-snake, she gets just healing. Maybe it has random effects, and she got lucky. Maybe it relates somehow to the nature of the Maze. Whatever happens, I bet Minmax is not going to come out of it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #1242

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I think it stems more from the rivalry between elves and dwarves in fiction than anything. Elves are hippy tree huggers. Thus dwarves must dislike trees.

Not really in character for MinMax to take a sub-optimized feat instead of a better one just because the other one is overpowered though...
    No, he's saying that in Thunt's world, there is no Extra Rage +2 Rages feat, because Thunt believes it to be overpowered. Minmax took the best feat he had access to.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    No, he's saying that in Thunt's world, there is no Extra Rage +2 Rages feat, because Thunt believes it to be overpowered. Minmax took the best feat he had access to.
    It really would be overpowered for that world. You have to be an 8th level barbarian to get 3/day normally. In a world where a monk is as effective as the designers thought it would be and in which a ranger who can cast a spell is "high level" that's quite a benefit.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Banned

But trading your ability to wink for improved unarmed strike makes perfect sense and isn't overpowered at all.

I get the point he's trying to make, it's just a very silly point when you take it in context with the rest of the comic.

15. - Top - End - #1245

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    What do you want to bet that the water isn't just healing. Whatever happens, I bet Minmax is not going to come out of it well.
    I'm betting on a River of Wonder variant, myself.
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

16. - Top - End - #1246

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    But trading your ability to wink for improved unarmed strike makes perfect sense and isn't overpowered at all.

I get the point he's trying to make, it's just a very silly point when you take it in context with the rest of the comic.
    If you look at it right, it's not very silly at all. Most of the things Minmax has traded for aren't overpowered in the slightest - Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Proficiency: Furniture, +1 to hit...they are essentially something for nothing, which is overpowered from a certain perspective, but he's not actually getting much for his unbalanced trades objectively.

It fits his minmaxing munchkin personality, too, in that he's cheesing trade-offs like that for what ultimately amounts to negligible gain.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Banned

If you look at it right, it's not very silly at all. Most of the things Minmax has traded for aren't overpowered in the slightest - Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Proficiency: Furniture, +1 to hit...they are essentially something for nothing, which is overpowered from a certain perspective, but he's not actually getting much for his unbalanced trades objectively.

It fits his minmaxing munchkin personality, too, in that he's cheesing trade-offs like that for what ultimately amounts to negligible gain.
    None of it is that powerful in the grand scheme of things, but that's all pretty powerful for a first level character. Who knows what kind of wacky hijinks a higher level Minmax would get into.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    But thats the thing, he hated the forest of lothlorien, not because of the trees, but because of the "evil sorceress" or whatever description he used to describe galadriel. He didnt want to go into fangorn, not because "TREES AAAAGGH!" but because he had heard all sorts of horrible rumors of what goes on in there. (Turns out he was right) He didnt like forests, but he wasnt afraid of them.
    Doesn't seem like Forgath reacted with fear.
    It was just a minor comment, and a totally acceptable one after he just fell from a magical forest that could have kill him.

BTW, isn't it weird that references from OoTS are worthy of mentioning, but references from Tolkein are taken for granted and considered to be "a real definition" of fantasy things?

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Troll in the Playground

Fourth panel Forgath looks totally awesome.

Also, third level now. Second level spells. Could be interesting.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    BTW, isn't it weird that references from OoTS are worthy of mentioning, but references from Tolkein are taken for granted and considered to be "a real definition" of fantasy things?
    Nope. Tolkien's work is way more archetypical...if for no other reason that it was there first.

Speaking of OOTS, Minmax made me think of Thog: third level fighter is dumb level. Thog didn't take.

Also also, I had a bit of free time and a need to do something mindless between yesterday and this morning, so, if anyone wants them, OOTS-fied MM, Forgath and Kin avatars:

Spoiler
    Show

{table]
    Minmax
    |
    Forgath
    |
    Kin

||[/table]

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
    Also also, I had a bit of free time and a need to do something mindless between yesterday and this morning, so, if anyone wants them, OOTS-fied MM, Forgath and Kin avatars:
    Those are seriously kind of awesome.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    I'm betting on a River of Wonder variant, myself.
    That could be nasty.

Frankly, my first reaction for the healing water was a sense of imminent danger. If this dungeon tought me anything, it's that everything has a purpose and it's to screw you over.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

23. - Top - End - #1253

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    That could be nasty.
    Have you looked at this dungeon so far?? :P

Well of course you have, given your second sentence, but I couldnt resist. But the dungeon does have its good points too, like the sword and armor and, presumably, the jade teapot, so a healing river isnt wildly unreasonable. A bit of sweet with the bitter, an' all that. Especially given that since only one group gets out alive (per run) it isnt really all that sweet in any case.
    Last edited by VariaVespasa; 2012-04-30 at 11:01 AM.
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Maybe this is a simple case of suspicious dungeon master generosity.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2012-04-30 at 01:28 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    I was more thinking in line of an enemy taking full advantage of the healing river, while spewing poison or other conditions not treated by the liquid.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Those are seriously kind of awesome.
    I agree, they're really good. I thought about asking for Min-Max but really I don't think I'll ever get tired of Tabard. Bonus points if any of you even know who that is.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    You monster.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    You monster.
    Do you mean "You Monster"?
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2012-04-30 at 09:51 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Could have been worse.

Spoiler
    Show
    Could have been MinMax in a cocktail dress...

Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!