New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXV: The Thread Everypony Should Know

Just watched the new ep:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really liked it! Pinkie's always a lot of fun. Loved her stand up comedy scene, and the cakes looking to all 5 of her friends before accepting her as a last resort. And hooray for pony genetics lessons!

The babies were a triple helping of adorable

The last couple minutes made me wonder if these weren't the deleted scenes from "The Incredibles" as the young 'uns developed powers WAY beyond what we would have expected from their age.

Also, Twilight was kind of a jerk when she showed up. Poor choice of words, Twi.

After I watched the latest episode I went ahead and listened to the leaked song. I'm really hoping it shows up in the episode with a hospitalized Dashie in a few weeks; it's really good.

EDIT: Oh! And Pinkie would be the COOLEST AUNT EVER!
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-01-14 at 11:07 PM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

2. - Top - End - #962
    Dwarf in the Playground

furious Re: My Little Pony XXXV: The Thread Everypony Should Know

Hi, I've been lurking in this thread for the past... month or so? Felt it was time to say hi, so hi!

New ep:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The impression I got was that reality warping was something very young ponies could do, and since Pinkie is so childish she retained those powers, but also could utilize them completely unlike an infant.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Troll in the Playground

So, haven't been able to watch the new ep because of travel, but on the flipside, San Fran is a cool place to walk around and look at.

After further thoughts on quadruped weapons, I wonder: does their tech allow for TK feedback? In such a case with beam weapons, I can imagine something like a laser emmissive sphere with targeting linked straight to eye movements via TK/psychic tether to the visual cortex perhaps...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

4. - Top - End - #964

Quote Originally Posted by Litewarior View Post
    Hi, I've been lurking in this thread for the past... month or so? Felt it was time to say hi, so hi!

New ep:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The impression I got was that reality warping was something very young ponies could do, and since Pinkie is so childish she retained those powers, but also could utilize them completely unlike an infant.
    Welcome!

Someone should be along with a proper introduction any moment, if they haven't already beaten me to the punch.

I think earth ponies are supposed to be just as magically capable as pegasi or unicorns. For AJ this manifests as a superior connection to the land and the ability to grow a bumper crop of apples. For Pinkie it manifests as crushing the laws of physics under her hooves.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

New ep:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    [CENTER]
    WE ARE THE HERD.
    LOWER YOUR SHIELDS AND SURRENDER YOUR MEDIA DEVICES.
    WE WILL ADD YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN
    YOUR SOCIAL LIFE WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Welcome!

Someone should be along with a proper introduction any moment, if they haven't already beaten me to the punch.

I think earth ponies are supposed to be just as magically capable as pegasi or unicorns. For AJ this manifests as a superior connection to the land and the ability to grow a bumper crop of apples. For Pinkie it manifests as crushing the laws of physics under her hooves.
    Yeah we should always repeat this, Earth ponies are not second class ponies.

And besides even ponies recognize Pinkie has gypsy magic or something.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Jayden: Well, it's good to know that today you successfully avoided having to give me a compliment
    Oh, I'm sorry, Mask, I just thought that tacit admission that your mastery over our shared skill set would reduce me to idly commenting on your gryphon-y form would be enough of a compliment to placate you. I mean, let's ignore that you've jumped out of a friends torso, electrocuted an officer, and had your friend transform into a ... Couatl, for all I can tell, and that my filly is like, Roght. There. Nah, let's focus on you for a minute.

I'm gonna go hang out with the much-more-secure-with-herself Redhead swimming in pies over there and talk about why best pony is best pony. But don't feel obliged to follow, you can just stay here and, I dunno, drain the electrons from a custard or whatever it is you Forces mages do. [Antagonize: Intimidate, d20+66=70]

... Oh right, here are those dots back. My faux pas >///>

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    So, haven't been able to watch the new ep because of travel, but on the flipside, San Fran is a cool place to walk around and look at.

After further thoughts on quadruped weapons, I wonder: does their tech allow for TK feedback? In such a case with beam weapons, I can imagine something like a laser emmissive sphere with targeting linked straight to eye movements via TK/psychic tether to the visual cortex perhaps...
    I wondered about that kind of weapon too, except I stopped because I was working strictly from a technological point. Good thinking on the sighting system though! I still don't know how that would work effectively without actually holding weapon, or devoting lobes specifically to complex math to help target.

-

MEANWHILE, ON THE MOON:

Welp. This sucks. And not a Natalie Portmare in sight.

With any luck, Raz is going to send robots to kidnap me. That's kind of like escape, right?

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

Sooo guys, I’ve been thinking.

Look at Poundcake, now back to Pumpkincake, now back to Poundcake, now back to Pumpkincake, now back to Poundcake. Sadly, he isn't Pumpkincake They appear to have the exact same body shape, with no differences shown by their genders.

Do think that maybe, possibly, hopefully... Dinky Doo could actually be a boy? ... please?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #968
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Oh, I'm sorry, Mask, I just thought that tacit admission that your mastery over our shared skill set would reduce me to idly commenting on your gryphon-y form would be enough of a compliment to placate you. I mean, let's ignore that you've jumped out of a friends torso, electrocuted an officer, and had your friend transform into a ... Couatl, for all I can tell, and that my filly is like, Roght. There. Nah, let's focus on you for a minute.

I'm gonna go hang out with the much-more-secure-with-herself Redhead swimming in pies over there and talk about why best pony is best pony. But don't feel obliged to follow, you can just stay here and, I dunno, drain the electrons from a custard or whatever it is you Forces mages do. [Antagonize: Intimidate, d20+66=70]

... Oh right, here are those dots back. My faux pas >///>
    Jayden: ... Did I touch a nerve?

The grin drips from every word. The griffon straightens a few feathers, looking magnificently self-satisfied.

Mask, for her part, does her best to flee the scene so she doesn't get drawn into the middle of this.

Jayden: I wasn't expecting a spine, of all things. Or what sounds a lot like a deliberate provocation. So, I'm curious; what reaction were you hoping to inspire? Where were you going with this? Was it a fight you were after, or something else?

9. - Top - End - #969
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ponyard. Ponyard.

You need to, like, marry this filly.
    You must.

And Filly!Pierce doesn't seem to be around to cause a ruckus. So you've got no excuse.

*grins sadistically and brandishes several NSFA objects* "Not safe for ANYONE"
    *eyes widen and he back away slowly* You dont know her like i do.
    Im watching you two.
    *gulps* this is either going to end REALLY well for me...or them.... NIGHTSCREAM! HELP! THE FILLYS ARE SCARY WHEN PROVOKED!
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Do think that maybe, possibly, hopefully... Dinky Doo could actually be a boy? ... please?
    There doesn't seem to be a standard colt pattern persay, but Dinky Hooves has eyelashes which are still a major Tertiary Sexual Characteristic for the show.
    And "Ditzy Doo" is dead, points for being Derpy many, points for Ditzy none. :P

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    They appear to have the exact same body shape, with no differences shown by their genders.
    ...They're babies. They're all like that.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    ...They're babies. They're all like that.
    Indeed. If little Poundcake was born with a mighty lantern jaw ,than things would be even stranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ettin in the Playground

Episode

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, baby pony eyes still disturb me. They're just... wrong. On some level that I can't put a finger on.

Not one of the better episodes this season, I think. Just didn't grab me.

And Mr. Cake's explanation of pony genetics... "That makes sense, right?" Sure it does, Mr. Cake. Whatever makes you feel better. Just hope Mrs. Cake doesn't meet Big Macintosh before she becomes pregnant with your next child.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2012-01-15 at 12:08 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Titan in the Playground

New episode spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't enjoy this episode as much because I was too busy wincing in sympathy. I hate taking care of anyone whose primary form of communication seems to be screams.

My explanation for the crazyness is either Pinkie Pie hallucinating (I'm pretty sure the Cake's house isn't that creepy normally. Plus wasn't the light in the hallway on?) or her reality bending powers backfiring. In either case it was a brilliant sequence and the best part of the episode.

Also Mr. Cake's line at the start about pony genetics is definitively a poke at us for our convulated explanations
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Episode

Spoiler
    Show

And Mr. Cake's explanation of pony genetics... "That makes sense, right?" Sure it does, Mr. Cake. Whatever makes you feel better. Just hope Mrs. Cake doesn't meet Big Macintosh before she becomes pregnant with your next child.
    I wish to address that one last bit because I've already become tired of the joke:

Spoiler
    Show
    The implication that Carrot is not the father doesn't hold up to twin ponies split between a pegasus and unicorn. What are we to suppose Cup Cake had an affair with not one but two other stallions and managed to have half-twins (or whatever the proper parlance is) on each.

And it still requires fantasy pony magic genetics anyways.

I think that just as crazy. Though yes I do get the joke I worry its going to be rampant fanon.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I wish to address that one last bit because I've already become tired of the joke:

Spoiler
    Show
    The implication that Carrot is not the father doesn't hold up to twin ponies split between a pegasus and unicorn. What are we to suppose Cup Cake had an affair with not one but two other stallions and managed to have half-twins (or whatever the proper parlance is) on each.

I think that just as crazy. Though yes I do get the joke I worry its going to be rampant fanon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mostly just wanted an excuse to bring up Big Macintosh the sex icon as part of the conversation. Plus to make a fun joke.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    New episode spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show

My explanation for the crazyness is either Pinkie Pie hallucinating (I'm pretty sure the Cake's house isn't that creepy normally. Plus wasn't the light in the hallway on?) or her reality bending powers backfiring. In either case it was a brilliant sequence and the best part of the episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeh, its this. Turns out the only way to realy freak out a abnormal (to a extent) reality warper is to expose her to something even she thinks is a actual reality warper. To be fair, I dont think anyone expects fillys with portaling abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post

Spoiler
    Show

New Ep
    Spoiler
    Show

It's possible it'll turn into the next big joke, though it has enough competition with Berry Punch and Molestia. I just find the entire thing amusing because as you said, magic genetics are required regardless of who the father is. It's just as likely that he really is the father as the possibility that he isn't.

Unrelated, still New Ep
    Spoiler
    Show

So thinking about it I think I know why I like this episode. It's because we get to see a mature Pinkie Pie. Sure, she spends a lot of the episode being goofy and silly, but there's a few points when she stops and starts acting like a proper adult. Even the less obvious parts, like the part immediately after she kicks Twilight out and realizes just how much trouble she's been having. This shows up in the other Pinkie Pie episodes too, and are why I think she's such a great character. Normally I find a character who's just there for comic relief tends to get old fast, but those small moments add some depth to her that most shows don't bother with and keep her interesting.

Not New Ep
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #979
    Banned

Jayden: ... Did I touch a nerve?

The grin drips from every word. The griffon straightens a few feathers, looking magnificently self-satisfied.

Mask, for her part, does her best to flee the scene so she doesn't get drawn into the middle of this.
    Ah nuts. I like mask. I think it's just darling that she expects me to have an angle all the time~

Jayden: I wasn't expecting a spine, of all things. Or what sounds a lot like a deliberate provocation. So, I'm curious; what reaction were you hoping to inspire? Where were you going with this? Was it a fight you were after, or something else?
    Plan? Did you miss the part where my closest character-equivalent was Acanthus? My plan was 'push button until it sounds pony enough'. The lack of pony sounding is, therefore, a touch frustrating, but I'll live.

So hey, how is being a griffon anyway? I suppose the claws and natural flight would be swell, especially wih enough Prime to supress magic in a wide area. Also, the feathers are gorgeous, by they look like a terrible chore to preen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    *grins sadistically and brandishes several NSFA objects* "Not safe for ANYONE"
    *eyes widen and he back away slowly* You dont know her like i do.
    Im watching you two.
    *gulps* this is either going to end REALLY well for me...or them.... NIGHTSCREAM! HELP! THE FILLYS ARE SCARY WHEN PROVOKED!
    Yeah, see.
    She is chipper. She is loyal. She likes setting things on fire, possibly with bullets. Those combine so that terrible and interesting things will always be happening, but you'll be spared the bodily harm because she likes you.

Provided nothing she just pulled out is both classifiable as a power tool and a lethal weapon at the same time, I really don't see your objection.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mostly just wanted an excuse to bring up Big Macintosh the sex icon as part of the conversation. Plus to make a fun joke.
    I'm totally behind that reasoning.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-01-15 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Would be funny instead of irritating, if twere intentional.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Welcome!

and in earth ponies where the magic is stronger...increased use of tail

AJ has nearly prehensile tail
    Zecora seemed to have better use of her tail than most in Cutie Pox
    Spoiler
    Show
    and Mrs Cake in the new episode

Pinkie does not fit this pattern...but then she has her own magic and doesnt need a superior tail
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

21. - Top - End - #981

Ah nuts. I like mask. I think it's just darling that she expects me to have an angle all the time~
    Jayden: She's afraid of unpredictable things. And also, everything else. But a situation with raining pastries and a potential wizard duel in the works has an angle, and it's an angle she ain't in charge of.

Plan? Did you miss the part where my closest character-equivalent was Acanthus? My plan was 'push button until it sounds pony enough'. The lack of pony sounding is, therefore, a touch frustrating, but I'll live.

So hey, how is being a griffon anyway? I suppose the claws and natural flight would be swell, especially wih enough Prime to supress magic in a wide area. Also, the feathers are gorgeous, by they look like a terrible chore to preen.
    Jayden: "Oh, I know Acanthuses. Don't tell me that you're an innocent. They say they don't have a plan but that's because they're working to a bigger plan than anyone else can see. That, and I know better than to throw the first punch in any sort of Mage duel."

"And being a griffon is fantastic. I get to purr like a cat, I've got opposable thumbs, and I'm almost entirely muscle. And the claws are metallic; if I run them against each other right, they'll send out sparks; do you know how handy that is? I'll give you that about the feathers, though."

More than a few feathers have been burned, blackened or corroded through contact with various volatile substances.

"Oh, and Prime is for lamers."
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-15 at 02:30 AM.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

The last couple minutes made me wonder if these weren't the deleted scenes from "The Incredibles" as the young 'uns developed powers WAY beyond what we would have expected from their age.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry to nitpick, but "The Incredibles" is one of my favorite movies ever so...

"Jack Jack Attack" was never a deleted scenes, becuase it was never meant to be in the movie proper, it was an extra short that came with the DVD (acutal deleted scenes don't tend to be fully animated), but yeah, I had flashback to that short , too .

Wait, does that means that Twilight is Syndrome?
    Last edited by littlekKID; 2012-01-15 at 02:33 AM.
    We now stop this thread for this blatant self-promotion of my own webcomics

http://goldensorceress.smackjeeves.com/

HUGGBEES!!
    Interesting Fact: If you spin around while saying 'Huggbees' three times real quick, Pierre Salinger will appear. Only he'll have... a beard!
    also, some of my drawings and writing
    Awesome Demon girl avatar by GreenMuffin
    and now, back to the thread

23. - Top - End - #983
    Dwarf in the Playground

New ep:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hi thar! ^^

I hope to see you post more often! We always like more ponies! :D

And if you'd like, hop on over to the IRC and join us. ^^

24. - Top - End - #984
    Banned

You can purr? I am jealous beyond all physical capacity. I have simulacra floating around a personal folded space solely to be jealous with me to let off some of the pressure.

Man.

Ah well, there's got to be some perks to it, otherwise... Meh.
    And uh, "lamers"? Really? Who are you, Thistle?

Did you just use me as an insult?

Not now! *ahem*

And the prime thing? You know you're saying "knowing what I'm doing is lame" right? It's the Mage version of "I can punch hard, martial arts is for losers." rather shortsighted for a Mage who once wished for wisdom - though perhaps that's why you're a griffon, and not a pony? Who needs to be happy when you can be strong? Now those are healthy priorities.

-

So while he gets himself killed by a gryphon, I have a story! I got up and was drinking my coffee drink and sitting in the front room and playin with kitties and watching an anime with Braz and reason ponythread. It was fun! And then when looking to see if the commodore had said anything (or really I was catching up to where I said something and seeing that he had pretty much shut my ideas down before I voiced them but that's what I get for not listening to SiuiS and posting too soon...) and I saw all these things about a new episode!

Of course, my horn wasn't sparking on all whorls if you know what I mean, so I said "'new episode'? That's not how you should be labeling it! Why, I've seen Granny Smith stuff outside of spoilers for a while now!" but then... Why, then, I clicked one of the spoilers, and it said

Spoiler
    Show
    Pony genetics, proved
    and I thought "huh?" and then another!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Something about Rarity talking about young unicorns and magic surges

Which was totally cool because it proved that one ponythreader RIGHT! On Spell-slipping, it's a real thing, and -- don't give me that look, Midsy, it's pertinent! You've been having tea with Rarity too often lately...

And then I opened my DVR screen and saw A WHOLE NEW EPISODE OF PONY! And I was SOOOO excited, you wouldn't believe how excited! Because I had thougt it was still Friday, you see

So! I don't have any comments on the new episode, except that it's new, and also an episode. An episode of My Little Pony! And it was magic!

Oh, and Thistle, I'm sorry about that. When he gets competitive he gets terribly rude. It's a ... Um, nevermind.

25. - Top - End - #985

You can purr? I am jealous beyond all physical capacity. I have simulacra floating around a personal folded space solely to be jealous with me to let off some of the pressure.

Man.

Ah well, there's got to be some perks to it, otherwise... Meh.
    And uh, "lamers"? Really? Who are you, Thistle?

Did you just use me as an insult?

Not now! *ahem*

And the prime thing? You know you're saying "knowing what I'm doing is lame" right? It's the Mage version of "I can punch hard, martial arts is for losers." rather shortsighted for a Mage who once wished for wisdom - though perhaps that's why you're a griffon, and not a pony? Who needs to be happy when you can be strong? Now those are healthy priorities.
    "Ooh, look at me, I'm a magical maaaagic fairy who can do things with magic. I can stop people from doing magic, yay! And I can make crap illusions and hilariously vulgar brute-force solutions to problems!" Jayden dropped into a scowl. "So I'm sorry if I didn't waste my Awakening learning how to beat up other Mages but instead learned practical solutions to real-life problems. But who needs to be happy, or be able to make others happy, when you can be strong, right?"

"Also, Thistle, you're pretty cool."
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-15 at 02:54 AM.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ooh, look at me, I'm a magical maaaagic fairy who can do things with magic. I can stop people from doing magic, yay! And I can make crap illusions and hilariously vulgar brute-force solutions to problems!" Jayden dropped into a scowl. "So I'm sorry if I didn't waste my Awakening learning how to beat up other Mages but instead learned practical solutions to real-life problems. But who needs to be happy, or be able to make others happy, when you can be strong, right?"

"Uh, guys, um, let's all keep our lids on, alright? No need to get unpleasant, right?"

27. - Top - End - #987

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    So ponythread.

I have been giving some though to what the race of my kunai fleet should be, and after a very long wrestle with my conscionence, have decided to go with a pony-inspired concept.

I thus present the current, first pass, write up on: the Jalyrkieon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone willing to brave the depths of my lengthy insanity is encouraged to comment, (and after the spoiler there are one or two things that merit discussion that relate to unicorns and don't require the reading of it for those with less time or inclination!)

Note: it sometimes takes me a couple of passes to pick up some of my mistakes, clarifications and so on (usually one from a cold reading at a later date), so bear that in mind, though I have at least spell-checked it this time! Once I sent something to one of Dad's work collegues, and he wasn't impressed, and nor was I when I went back through it! I'd made a pretty terrible mess of spelling and words (though to be fair, I'd been in a rush to get done, I'm normally not bad!)

The Jalyrkieons are an unusual race of quadrupeds with an innate telekinetic talent. They are located quite close to the Vivrathk Aggression, and the two races have a long history of conflict.

A Jalyrkieon has a body shape roughly comparable to a terrestrial equine. They stand about four feet tall at the withers , and weigh around 550-600lbs, being quite stockily built. They are not covered by a covering of hair, like a horse, but a thick skin, more like a hippopotamus. Hair is present in a ruff from the forehead down to the withers, and again in the tail, which, like an equines, is mostly vestigial made and composed of little else.

They can be varied in colour, from deep purple through to an ocean blue, with some ethnicities tending to green or turquoise. Eye and hair colour tends to be much more varied, though the former tends more towards “warm” shades and the latter to “cold.” Extremes like black or white hair are biologically impossible – the lack pigmentation due to age or the equivalent of albinism tends to be towards a muted blue-grey. (Though hair dye for those colours is not unheard of, but is as unusual as a human dyeing their hair blue or green.)

The most immediate obvious difference from a terrestrial equine is in the head, however. A Jalyrkieon’s head is more foreshortened than a typical equine, and with a much larger forehead, which situates both the much larger brain and eyes. These are set in a spectroscopic formation slightly above the nose, which has a more distinctively “pinched” look.

The head is tipped with a set of four short horns. Two project slightly forward, over the eyes, leaning slightly to either side of the vertical plane, and two others point backward, just over the ears. The horns are sturdy and sharp enough to be defensive weapons in their own right. However, their primary purpose is to direct and control the Jalyrkieon’s natural telekinesis.

Another large difference becomes obvious when a Jalyrkieon opens their mouth. Unlike a terrestrial equine, a Jalyrkieon has a mouth of sharp, ripping and slashing teeth. The ancestors of the Jalyrkieon were carnivores.

The Jalyrkieon homeworld, Plenadi, is notable for being one of the most dangerous natural environments to be populated by a sentient species, full of highly dangerous predators and equally well-armed herbivores and even the plant-life tends to be hazardous and poisonous (and sometimes even predatory itself). The Jalyrkieon stock evolved from an early ungulate-type of creature on the planet’s copious planes. Limited telekinesis is a trait of the entire zoological order that the Jalyrkieon belong to, though only their family have developed to a significant level. The protoJalyrkieon stock developed increased brain-power as this telekinesis became more powerful, and in concert with the groups that they lived in, not unlike how terrestrial primates brain-size increases with social groups. One big difference is that in the split analogous to “monkeys” and “apes”, the Jalyrkieon line became predators. They evolved to exploit the vacuum left by the extinction of a larger group of animals (not unlike how Mesonychids evolved to become predators after the extinction of the dinosaurs).

As the climate changed during the Plenadi’s prehistory, an a period of glacial and interglacial periods began, the protoJalyrkieons were driven ever further towards the equatorial regions, where intelligence became a survival trait in the extremely dangerous jungles and tropical floodplain-swamps.

While it is true that Jalyrkieons are carnivores, it is true in the same sense that canids are carnivores. Meat is an important part of their diet, but they are by no means exclusively carnivorous. (Their closest living relatives are scavenging specialists, best characterised as behaving like something between a chimpanzee and a hyena.)

Jalyrkieon physiology is robust. When removed from the numerous cumulative poisons, diseases and stresses of the natural world, they have an astonishing constitution, and a natural healing that is close to actual regeneration. It is estimated that their rate of recuperation is perhaps five times that of a typical hominoid. They do not sleep in long period, but in short bursts through the day cycle, with periodic intervals of actual REM sleep of a few hours per week. Their physical strength is very good for their size (even though the more physically inclined tend to rely on their telekinesis), and their endurance is prestigious. Their digestive system is able to handle a wide variety of foodstuffs, allowing them to eat a wider range of alien foods, though meat remains their favoured dietary component. This intestinal fortitude is the legacy of life in the vicious natural world of Plenadi, as meals come infrequently, and often at risk (even for herbivores), so a hearty digestive system is a must.

Their five senses are quite sharp – another necessity of life – though their vision and hearing is not quite as acute as a Elf’s, their sense of smell and taste makes up for it. Their sense of touch is somewhat below average, aside from the tactile portion of their telekinesis (which is considerably higher.)

Viviparous reproduction is almost a must on Plenadi, as staying still long enough to lay eggs is a recipe for disaster unless the creature is especially well adapted. In this harsh environment, the Jalyrkieon family group develops mobility and size very fast – like terrestrial horses, a Jalyrkieon foal is capable of walking within hours of birth – though their mental and sexual development is much slower, the latter pronouncedly so. This may seem contrary to expectations, in light of the dangerous environment, but the Jalyrkieon order’s breeding strategy is more heavily biased towards parental investment, and indeed, this was one of the other driving factors in the Jalyrkieon’s intellectual evolution. This allowed more young to reach sexual maturity, as opposed to simply relying on minimal parental investment after birth as many of the “lower” orders of Plenadi do, and one of the reasons that the Jalyrkieon’s order currently dominates.

Jalyrkieons demonstrate some sexual dimorphism – the males tend to be slightly larger – but otherwise, the difference between the two sexes is not readily apparent. They reach adult size in what is the equivalent of only three or four years, though it takes around eighteen years to reach mental maturity and sexual maturity another four or five years. Juvenile Jalyrkieons are still distinguishable by their more muted colour-scheme (reaching sexual maturity is often referred to as the “flush” referring to the sharpening or even change in the skin-colour.)

This slow maturity rate, particularly of sexuality, is one of the reasons that the Vivrathk and the Jalyrkieons are particularly at odds. Even more than humans do (who the Jalyrkieons have had only anecdotal contact with), the Jalyrkieons find the Vivrathk positively pedarastic, given the latter’s very early sexual maturity and corresponding relaxed standards of societal sexual behaviour.

Jalyrkieons thus have a very strong parental urge, and when their young are endangered, they have been known to go quite berserk, with a notable considerable boost in their telekinetic powers.

Jalyrkieon telekinesis is extremely powerful. It is not well understood, even by the Jalyrkieon themselves, but has both psionic and magical components, and resistant to anti-supernatural fields; while their range and power is reduced, it is very difficult to negate completely. The effect is mostly non-luminescent, though considerable effort from highly skilled individuals can cause the horns and target to dimly glow. (The colour of this glow varies, but is usually white or very pale blue.)

In effect, each of the four horns controls a telekinetic “limb” (though this is greatly oversimplifying), allowing them as much and more manipulatory ability than most creatures with hands and fingers. Their strength is difficult to measure precisely, but can be roughly estimated as being slightly above human average with each “limb” and considerable strength when combined.

The range of this ability is essentially divided into two parts.
    They can “feel” with their telekinetic powers with greatest precision close to the horn, where their fine control is greatest. Beyond about half a meter or so, this fine control drops sharply, and they are only capable of more general motions. As an analogue, the difference between the “control radius”, as it is termed, and the extent of their range (“reach radius”) is akin to the difference between hands and arms. Both radius vary by natural talent, and training – such as Jalyrkieon military forces undergo – can significantly improve both.

The “limb” analogy is not a very clear indicator, however, since Jalyrkieon telekinesis is somewhat more flexible than a corporeal limb. Each horn is capable of accomplishing very fine manipulation within the control radius somewhat finer than to what a human might manage with their fingers only in a small diameter, somewhere between six and twelve inches, depending on skill and training. They can manage to manipulate objects in greater numbers over a wider area, though not to the same extent. They could certainly hold a large number of books and flip the pages, but cannot operate more than four devices with small buttons at once. The more area they are forced to spread their telekinesis over, the less strength they can apply (meaning a Jalyrkieon lifting a heavy object will usually lift from one to four places, must as a hominoid with limbs would do.)

Jalyrkieons have very large brains in comparison to their body size, significantly more than most hominoids. Their brains are divided into four lobes, rather than two, each one having control over one horn, as hominoids have left and right hemispheres. Most of this extra brain-matter is dedicated to processing their telekinetic abilities. They are capable of multitasking to a significant degree, and essentially their “telekinetic limbs” can each be doing independent tasks, or working coherently. This ability is somewhat limited by the fact they still have some limits on their ability to process data. They could, say, with some effort and practise, assemble four kits from components simultaneously, though they couldn’t operate something that requires non-tactile input (be it visual, cognitive or auditory) with each horn separately, i.e. they cannot use four separate scanners at once.

Jalyrkieons are able to use their telekinesis very effectively as weapons. While they are not especially adept at hurling large cumbersome objects (like creatures) around, their ability to throw small blades or manipulate simple weapons is extremely high, and the simplicity of such actions means they can often use several with frightening proficiency.

Modern Jalyrkieon soldiers are noted for being very heavily armed for infantry, many carrying the equivalent of two or three rifles or four pistols, which they can use simultaneously (skilled individuals – the sort that would use twin pistols in a hominoid race – can use even more. This makes the amount of fire put out from a Jalyrkieon infantry squad vastly better than a typical hominoid one. (This is somewhat countered, however, by their higher and less easily concealed target profile, however.) With their greater ability to carry munitions as well, due to their body shape lending itself well to portaging, they can also carry a consummate supply of power cells or ammunition. Consequently, anti-armour weapons are also seen in greater numbers in infantry units.

They also have a series of martial arts, which extend beyond the physical to applications of telekinesis. In particular, a trained Jalyrkieon can deliver a telekinetic thrust of enormous strength, and many of these strikes are designed to concentrate as much force as possible in one area, and are thus closing to piercing strikes than bludgeoning ones. (Indeed, a master of the art can inflict wounds akin to ballistic firearms at short ranges).

More subtle and dangerous are the one which extend the control radius of the Jalyrkieon to be able to force an attack inside the body of an opponent (something that normally requires impracticable amounts of effort, concentration and time to do) and literally crush their organs or close off vital blood vessels, leading to incapacitation of death. Some of these arts use physical blows to direct the telekinesis attacks, while the highest forms are unnoticeable and purely mental.

The fight for survival in their prehistory has – not unlike the Vivrathk, as irony would have it – made the Jalyrkieons very aggressive. Their expansionist goals are characterised with a certain cold ruthlessness with regard to other races that distinguishes them from their closest neighbours. This attitude in modern Jalyrkieons was not helped along by their period as a vassal of the Strayvian Empire, until it’s collapse and their abrupt seizure of independence.

The Jalyrkieons were defeated quite badly in their last war against the Vivrathk, and have been undergoing a lengthy period of refitting and rearming in the last couple of decades. This period is coming to a close as it is likely not long before a new war breaks out between the two.

At some point I might try drawing one, maybe, though if anyone else wants to take a crack at it, I think pretty much any of you could do a better job than me...!

So, all that brought up an interesting question. If you use telekinesis as your primary manipulative apparatus - as unicorns and Jalyrkieons do - what would a gun designed for you, look like?
    A little late (as always... I still haven't gotten around to making your skull a splode ), but I've attempted a rendition of one of your little critters, with a quick attempt at what weapons would make sense for them. Armor and "saddlebags" to hold replacement power cells pending.

Spoiler
    Show

I think it's still looking too much like a pony. I should've kept your description of them open when drawing.

For the weapons, I figured simple buttons would suffice, but there are four of them, on different sides of the weapon. For a TK user, pushing them all at once is as simple as slightly contracting the holding field - the weapon will not move, but all movable parts on the surface will be pressed in. For anyone with fingers or even tentacles, aiming and firing would be a nontrivial task at best. The same goes for the cell reloading mechanism (six little buttons to release). The folding blade is largely useless, I agree, but it sorta made sense at the time. You can consider it to simply be a holder for the blade rather than a permanent mount.

Also, entirely unrelated to anything, but I have just now noticed how the scriptwriters missed an interesting little opportunity for a pun, way back in the series pilot. Nightmare Moon is released during the Summer Sun Celebration, on the day of the Solstice (longest day of the year) - while it would make more sense for her to break out when the day and night are equally matched - i.e. on the equinox. Speaking of which, Equinox could make a nice name for an MLP villain in this regard.

edit: (well, astronomically I guess the Solstice makes more sense, as that would be the time when the Sun is the furthest from Earth - but for the US territory that Equestria represents, wouldn't that be the Winter Solstice rather than the depicted Summer Solstice? For someone who's supposed to be traveling the Multiverse, my grasp of orbital mechanics is surprisingly flimsy..)
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-01-15 at 05:21 AM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

28. - Top - End - #988
    Banned

He says he was going to draw but got a back spasm instead. So between mumbling about getting old he gave me a script, a replacement hat since I handed mine off to Candles at one point, and a fake beard.

I'm still working on why the fake beard though.

Here goes. *hem-hem*

Ugh wizards are like doctors your penmanship is attrocious, um, "Funny how you seem really good at making my points for me, since none of that applies." really, that's you're rebuttal, Si? "I watch vast cosmic wonders unfold. You got upset at your bad guys for giving you a lobotomy wrong. You also tried to solve a computer glitch with a pipebomb-" he would totally have done the same, by the way "-and besides, without something other than forces, I couldn't do this, dramatic pause in bracke--" OH that's a cue.

It um, says hand you these. So the first one;

Spoiler
    Show
    I.O.U. One image; subjects Jayden + Thistle, setting blank, action fistbump.

—S

And then this one;

Spoiler
    Show
    I.O.Thanqol one image; Subject Jayden, setting Blank, action Surprised and possibly Annoyed at finding she has been magicked into harem pants while distracted by Starry.

—S

... I would apologize for distracting you, but if I didn't he probably would have paid Mask to do it. I'm pretty sure everypony wants to see this harem pants thing. Sorry ^^"

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    "Uh, guys, um, let's all keep our lids on, alright? No need to get unpleasant, right?"
    Unpleasant? What's unpleasant? On the contrary, for a species unused to bifurcated garments harem pants are quite comfy. It's the custom tailoring, I think.

Also there is something wrong with any group of people or ponies where jumping out of a mech suit and assaulting folks violently is considered a strong interview...

So what's up, Candles?

-

Hi folks! Back spasms hurt. Try not to have them, aye?
    Sir Mirrsen, it is neat to note that we both had the same idea on telekinetic function as regards to grip and trigger mechanism. I was still thinking too small-scale, too much like a human hand, I think. The only benefit to my idea over yours is simplicity of internal mechanism, which is entirely moot in a super high tech device. Heh.

29. - Top - End - #989

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    "Oh, this is pleasant. Unpleasant would be much more interesting."

He says he was going to draw but got a back spasm instead. So between mumbling about getting old he gave me a script, a replacement hat since I handed mine off to Candles at one point, and a fake beard.

I'm still working on why the fake beard though.

Here goes. *hem-hem*
    Jayden: "Heh. Olders."

Ugh wizards are like doctors your penmanship is attrocious, um, "Funny how you seem really good at making my points for me, since none of that applies." really, that's you're rebuttal, Si? "I watch vast cosmic wonders unfold. You got upset at your bad guys for giving you a lobotomy wrong. You also tried to solve a computer glitch with a pipebomb-" he would totally have done the same, by the way "-and besides, without something other than forces, I couldn't do this, dramatic pause in bracke--" OH that's a cue.
    "You watch cosmic wonders unfold? You are blind. The worst kind of blind: there are none so blind as those who will not see. Do you know what I am, what I study? What the shape of my soul is? I am a Celestial Master, and I walk the path of the stars. Can't you see them, burning above? Don't you know that the universe expands out infinitely in all directions - all that power, all those patterns? Great storms of energy great enough to wipe out our existence in an eyeblink, shattering space and time and death in the process?

"You think that isn't magic? You think that isn't a cosmic wonder?

"That's Forces. Pure Forces. It scales up, and it scales down, but it's all connected, it's all eternal, all cycling through the same system. You see a pipe bomb and a computer glitch; I see the power of heat and light closing a hole in the world. You think that the real world isn't the plane of magic? I see a world where information travels as fast as thought along currents of electricity. I see a world where voices travel, unheard, through the air. I see a world where every star in the sky is an enormous giant of hydrogen burning hotter than we can ever imagine.

"And if you think real power is in old books, old stones, and glowy ley lines then you're blind, frankly. You're blind and deaf even though the universe is singing to you."

*Deep breath*

Spoiler
    Show
    I.O.Thanqol one image; Subject Jayden, setting Blank, action Surprised and possibly Annoyed at finding she has been magicked into harem pants while distracted by Starry.

—S

... I would apologize for distracting you, but if I didn't he probably would have paid Mask to do it. I'm pretty sure everypony wants to see this harem pants thing. Sorry ^^"
    "...

"I'll never live this one down, but you'll be lucky if you live this one out. Old man, prepare to get your ass kicked by a griffon in harem pants."

Spoiler
    Show
    I.O.U. One image; subjects Jayden + Thistle, setting blank, action fistbump.

—S
    Yessss
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-15 at 06:01 AM.

30. - Top - End - #990

Trying to make some armor for the jar-of-kibble things:
    Spoiler
    Show

Replaced "saddlebags" with an armored mini-backpack. On either side of the pack are "holsters" for the weapons.
    Current thoughts:
    - Ponies are a stupid shape.
    - Don't try designing stuff while suffering from undersleep headaches.
    - Jaerkyleons' (Can I just call them Jägerponies?) heads are hard to make a helmet for, especially considering the previous point.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-01-15 at 06:12 AM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!