New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1516
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: The Colonization of Terenuri (IC)

Damaia

Damaia follows Terza back into the inn. "There was just one woman there, Mother Shallaran. She gave us a replacement idol and shoo'd us off quickly because she was preparing for a big festival. Honestly, as soon as we have a moment to catch our breath, I think we should go back in there. We tried being polite last time we were there, this time I think it might be time to get rough. Whatever is going on around here can't be allowed to continue, and something tells me we really don't want this festival of theirs to go off." There is a hard edge to Damaia's voice; it seems like she won't be open to many other ideas.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lo-Kag Rockhide - [Paddleston]

Lo-Kag prays for the souls of the fallen before following Terza and Damaia back into the inn. At the mention of Mother Shallaran he recalls that he hadn't delivered his reconnaissance report due to the ocean's siren song nearly luring everyone to their death.

"The woman didn't do anything out of the ordinary in town that I noticed. Once she reached her home, however, I saw her pull a mirror from her purse and signal someone or something. I couldn't see who she was communicating with, but not long after that sound returned. And while I can't say with any certainty there's a connection I'm not fond of coincidences."
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Troll in the Playground

Hallowhiem and Jirus - [Paddleston]

Letting Lo-Kag speak his words over the fallen, Hallowhiem thinks on Roman's question. "That church, it had iconography that resembled those from our homeland. And they seemed more vulnerable to my divine energies. There must be some connection between these creatures and the perversion of our faith. I do believe that it is time we get to the bottom of this. But before we return to the church, I suggest we search the bar. We haven't looked there yet, and I'd wager we may find a few more answers there. And then, we end this."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Damaia

Damaia leans on the wall next to the door, waiting to leave. "If you must. I doubt you'll find anything of use, and every minute we give them while we sit here is another minute for them to get ready for us. Something tells me they're already aware of the confrontation at the beach, and won't take too kindly to it."

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Paddleston - Smooth Sailing Inn]

Terza nods swiftly in response. "Damaia has the right of it. My guards and I will stay here, and we'll make sure to interrogate the barkeep if he is so foolish as to return. Until then, think of this as your base of operations while you figure out the rest of this." She half-shouts a command to one of her guards in some tongue that sounds like an Elven/Eladrin pidgin of sorts - perhaps a trade language - and the pair quickly run upstairs. Another few words, and the other two guards clear a space on the couch for the concussed Dagon creature.

"They're going to grab some of the chests I have upstairs - I have some artifacts of old that might prove useful in figuring out what can be done, or has been done, to this creature." she says, gesturing toward the couch. "You find out what you can at the church - we'll handle this side."

A bright light suddenly shines through the window. Lo-Kag instantly recognizes it as the light that Mother Shallaran used earlier.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

6. - Top - End - #1326

Lo-Kag Rockhide - [Paddleston]

The goliath's attention is drawn to the window as bright light filters through. Immediately realizing who's behind the unnatural light show spurs Lo-Kag into action.

"Whatever our next move is we need to act quickly! That light is the same one I saw earlier while spying on Mother Shallaran! I imagine the ocean call won't be far behind."
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

Roman -- [Paddleston - Smooth Sailing Inn]

"Well, come on, then! We'll catch them in the act!" Roman runs back toward the door, through the tracked mud and sand. The door obligingly opens for him with no hand touching it. As he races out into the sodden outdoors, his surprised voice carries back: "Curious! ..."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Troll in the Playground

Hallowhiem and Jirus- [Paddleston - Smooth Sailing Inn]

The arcane knight follows behind Roman with slightly less grace, and holds the door for the rest of the party. "Jirus, go with Roman, I'll be right behind." While the rain and mud may slow some of the others down, his plate armor, well, it didn't move any quicker than cloth or animal skin in this weather.
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Paddleston]

The wind and the rain continue to pound away at the party, most of whom had barely begun to dry off by the warm fire of the inn. The light glimmers a few more times from the Church, before going dark again.

Despite the mud, the urgency of their situation propels them across the town. All the windows are dark and the town appears either asleep or vacant, despite the time of day and the apparent festival looming.

Within a few minutes, the party is once again at the base of the hill, the Church towering at the top, overlooking the town. There is a small light on in the hut adjacent to the main building, but no other signs of life are present.

The more nautically-minded of the group notice that the tide has begun to come in, revealing what appears to be the top of a small cave in the hillside.
    Spoiler
    Show

The portion of the cave that you can see at present is the top foot - the rest is currently submerged. You suspect that the entire cave will be submerged within the hour, though it would be possible with a high enough Athletics check for you to swim into the cave now. There's no telling what the structure inside looks like though, and it's possible that you could get trapped in the cave.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-11-06 at 04:12 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Damaia

Now that the others had finally agreed with her, Damaia was not putting up with anymore delays. She marched up the muddy hill straight to the church's doorstep and opened the door.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Roman -- [Paddleston - the Church]

Roman follows close on Damaia's heels. The magical orb clutched in his hand keeps him from even breathing hard as he strides up the steep incline. As the tiefling grasps the door handle, Roman prepares to take action in case of combat.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Readying an action to cast sleep if my low-light vision finds obvious enemies inside.

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ogre in the Playground

Throk

Throk nods and walks with the others, though not without glancing back at the newly revealed cave. For some reason he senses there's something important about it, but he has no idea what.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Paddleston - Gleaming Dawn Church]

Damaia finds that the door swings open easily. Shadows dance on the wall as the wind blows through, causing the candle light to ripple in the breeze.

The room appears empty, as before, though Damaia and others who follow quickly behind her hear an audible *click* come from the back corner, near the rearmost pew.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Roman -- [Paddleston - Gleaming Dawn Church]

Roman waves his hand in the direction of the clicking corner, and a cool glow suffuses the air. "Someone with better eyes than this squinting academic should look over there for hidden catches. I'll keep the light right for it."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That's my attempt at Aid Another for an active Perception check. (d20+5)[17] against a DC of 12 ... success gives somebody a +2, failure imposes -1. I don't know Damaia's Perception score (don't think I've seen a sheet for her) but Throk's is as good as Roman's and Lo-Kag's is much better, so I figure I'm best off in a support role here.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-07-23 at 09:58 PM.

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Troll in the Playground

The soft arcane light blooms just enough for Roman to see that the last pew on the right casts shadows at a slightly different angle than the others. A quick investigation reveals that the pew is counterbalanced, and with just the right amount of pressure it swings open, revealing a spiral staircase leading down into a basement of sorts. The air coming up has a salty tang, more akin to rotting fish than an ocean breeze, and far from the scent of ozone and dirt the party encountered outside.

A slight flicker indicates torchlight or something similar, but it quickly fades into the distance. Whoever activated the secret door is still in the vicinity, though moving away quickly and quietly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Staircase is tight, so I'll need marching order if you all are walking down there. Jirus can fit if he hunches, so don't worry.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Troll in the Playground

The stairs creak and shift beneath your feat, almost as though they were grunting in pain. The chamber into which the stairs descend is rounded on one side. Two doors provide egress to your right and left. Ahead of you, a large double door stands between two smaller ones.

All the walls are etched with images of horrific creatures of the deep, from mighty serpents to great krakens and other creatures of legend. Their eyes glare at you in hatred.

Spoiler
    Show
    For convenience sake, I have put the map up on the google doc. Doesn't mean there's combat - just makes it easier to visualize the area.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-07-24 at 03:17 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

Roman -- [Gleaming Dawn Church cellar]

Roman's voice precedes his feet down the staircase. "... everyday triumph of Andurii knowledge. It's unfortunate I hadn't the skill to apply the cultological theory -- oh, my," he sighs, seeing the multiple doors. "And if theory holds, none of these will show signs of heavier use, except possibly the central door if it also has a barely-visible and lethal trap. Still, one must make the attempt. Look at those doors, everyone. And listen, too. I'll shut up." Roman examines the door closest to the stairs before putting his ear to it.

Spoiler: On the map
    Show
    I put Roman beside the door I meant, the one at L6.

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Paddleston - Gleaming Dawn Church cellar]

With his ear to the door, Roman listens carefully. He slows his breathing so that even his own inspiration does not interfere with his other senses.

Alas, he hears nothing on the other side of the door - rather, it is so quiet that he can hear his blood pumping through his ears, his throat swallow, his eyelids blink. It is the pure absence of noise.

Or, it simply leads to an empty room deep below the stone foundation of the church.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Damaia

Damaia moves to the next door going clockwise around the room. She gestures to the others to do the same. She examines her door closely. She first listens at the door, then examines it looking for locks and/or traps.

Spoiler
    Show

Seems like you'll need a couple of these. Not that I really expect them to show much...

Perception - (1d20+1)[16]
    Perception - (1d20+1)[8]

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Troll in the Playground

Hallowhiem and Jirus - [Paddleston - Gleaming Dawn Church cellar]

Following his compatriots lead, Hallowhiem moves towards the two main doors and investigates as best he can. Ordering Jirus to sniff around, Hallowhiem takes a deep breath, and closes his eyes. Calling back over all the churches he's visited, he does his best to channel his divine energies to determine if there are any supernatural blocks near this room.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Hal's Religion: (1d20+8)[25]
    Jirus' Perception (1d20)[9], which the sheet says is +5, but not sure if that's scaled or not.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Troll in the Playground

Damaia finds that the door she investigates is neither trapped nor locked. Hallowhiem finds the same, though the fishy odor seems to be stronger from beyond the double doors. Hallowhiem thinks that he can hear the distant crashing of waves through his door, but it is hard to tell. Otherwise, the entire place is quiet.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ogre in the Playground

Throk

Throk watches as the rest of the party moves to the doors, picking and prodding and listening. He starts to get a little impatient. "Hells, people, just pick a door and open it!" Putting actions to words, he pulls Roman back from the nearest door and steps up to it. Chain in hand, he grads the handle and opens the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Opens door at L6
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Troll in the Playground

All - [Gleaming Dawn Church cellar]

Throk flings the door open to find .... another set of stairs. These are carved from stone, or rather, carved from rock itself. The air is definitely more ocean like down here, and the steps curve away and to the south, around a corner and out of sight. The stairwell is unlit, save the torchlight flickering in from the main room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay!
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-08-04 at 09:41 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Troll in the Playground

Hallowhiem and Jirus - [Paddleston - Gleaming Dawn Church cellar]

Shield and sword at the ready, Hallowhiem and Jirus cautiously approach the door Throk threw open. Sword before him to guard against any traps, he moves slowly down the steps. "Someone bring a light, if you would. It looks dark down here."
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Damaia

Damaia pulls a sunrod out of her pack, holding it in the same hand as her light shield, but does not light it. Instead she speaks a few words of magic and a few small balls of dim flame begin to dance around her head. "I've got a sunrod in case we need bright light, but the spell's dim light is probably better for moving around unseen, at least until we find something. Just say something if you need more and I'll light the rod."

She readies her rapier (including turning on it's flames) and prepares to follow Hal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Damaia is using the firecrafter theme to create dim light in a 5 square radius for now.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Troll in the Playground

The stairwell is narrow, damp, and cramped, though the light offered by Damaia's weapon is enough to make it navigable. At the bottom of the stairwell the party comes to another door - this one shut and visibly locked by a large padlock.

Spoiler: Marching order
    Show
    Hal in the lead, I assume?

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

27. - Top - End - #1347

Lo-Kag Rockhide - [Gleaming Dawn Church Basement]

Lo-Kag bows his head under the door frame and descends the staircase with his compatriots. Upon reaching the padlocked door he steps forward to investigate.

Lo-Kag Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+10)[29]
    Arcana: (1d20+2)[14]
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

Roman -- [Paddleston - Gleaming Dawn Church cellar]

"A lock on our side of the door? This isn't the way they came, unless they have a silent and invisible compatriot to close up behind them. I think we should make haste back up and try another door -- another tentacle of the squid, if you will." Before he finishes speaking, Roman is meeting his intentions with his actions, taking the stairs two at a time. His voice echoes strangely back down the tight space as he magicks away a slick patch of algae and mold from a step higher up without breaking stride.

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Troll in the Playground

Lo-Kag listens intently at the door and hears the sound of air moving, along with a wet splish splash sound, which is remarkably similar to the sound his bare feet made on the wet stone after meditating by the mountain pools.

Roman quickly ascends the stairwell to find the room of doors is still empty and silent.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Damaia

Damaia stands on the stairs, looking back and forth between Lo-Kag at the bottom and Roman at the top. "Now look here. I'm all for getting to the bottom of this, but we can't all be running off in different directions. I don't care which way we proceed, but pick ONE."