New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    This brings up something though. Might a big weakness of the Quincy be that in the real world they have much less power to work with? And that is why they lost to the SS 200 years ago?
    uryu has flat out stated he's more powerful in HM and SS, so it's certainly a factor.

but i think the real issues are more mundane. SS has 13 insanely powerful troops it can put anywhere on the planet almost instantly, and they operate out of a virtually unassailable fortress/dimension.
    SS probably could have won on logistics alone by burning quincy food supplies.

on top of that, quincy are still fundamentally human. a hit is a hit and it will hurt them, where shinigami HP and power are linked, apparently.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

This brings up something though. Might a big weakness of the Quincy be that in the real world they have much less power to work with? And that is why they lost to the SS 200 years ago?
    I think given what we've seen of these Quincy its their only real weakness. Except maybe Captain Ukitake and his ability to return ranged attacks, and thats only a maybe.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    this is a potentially clever gotcha moment. ichigo's bankai's mode of action is compressing his reiatsu. essentially the exact opposite of what this baddy is trying to do.

in practice, i pretty much guarantee it's not going to come up for the captains, making it a useless useful power
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think that's the case actually. It seems to work regardless of how powerful the person in question is or how strong their willpower is (Ayon had incredible willpower, partially because it had no intelligence). Ichigo's bankai may well help him to resist the ability for longer, but I'm pretty sure he's spot on about having to break the halo to stop the effect which is what he's currently doing.

So I think it's less a case of the power being useless on the captains and more they won't have too much trouble breaking the halos. More importantly, it doesn't seem to be a passive thing, Opie seems to be directing it so sufficiently stealthy/fast characters can likely get around it.

As for Mayuri...well he probably figured out a defense when he fought Uryuu or breaking down his poisons/diseases won't affect their lethality. One of those two. Either way, the captains will be resistant to this ability, but I doubt it'll be because of their power. Also, how DID that king guy get through the membrane? Internal sympathizers?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Also, how DID that king guy get through the membrane? Internal sympathizers?
    Just punched on through, probably. We've yet to see a barrier that can't be destroyed by the simple application of overwhelming force, and of course we've seen that a powerful Quincy can probably destroy or nullify any spirit-particle construct that they put their minds to.

(Heck, for maximum evil style/irony points, the blasts he just leveled them with might have been formed from the energy of the barrier that was supposed to keep him out.)

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Honestly after thinking about the last few chapters (and seeing how this arc is building) I have to ask: Is it just me or has Kubo's writing skills started to improve?

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Just punched on through, probably. We've yet to see a barrier that can't be destroyed by the simple application of overwhelming force, and of course we've seen that a powerful Quincy can probably destroy or nullify any spirit-particle construct that they put their minds to.

(Heck, for maximum evil style/irony points, the blasts he just leveled them with might have been formed from the energy of the barrier that was supposed to keep him out.)
    That's just it though, does that membrane count as a spirit-particle construct considering it's projected by seki-seki stone, the spiritual power neutralizer?

Course, he very well have just blasted through, but I'm wondering if it's not more ocmplex then that.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #787
    Barbarian in the Playground

A while back everyone mentioned who they thought the 5 weapons the quincy king was talking about earlier, and everyone mentioned Ichigo, Urahara, Yoruichi, Isshin as 4 of the 5, but the 5th was up in the air, but I have a feeling the 5th may be Tessai. We may not have seen much from him, but the dude was the head of the Kido Corp for a reason, which I'm sure isn't far off from a captain in strength.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Honestly after thinking about the last few chapters (and seeing how this arc is building) I have to ask: Is it just me or has Kubo's writing skills started to improve?
    I get the feeling that when he gets time to set up things and mull them over they improve more than they would improve for an average writer.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I get the feeling that when he gets time to set up things and mull them over they improve more than they would improve for an average writer.
    I don't know about you but most writers do that by default. So of course it wouldn't improve their writing much.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know about you but most writers do that by default. So of course it wouldn't improve their writing much.
    "Writing by the seat of of your pants" is actually a pretty common strategy, but most people who do that spend significant time on revision. I'm not sure how it could work for a serial work.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    "Writing by the seat of of your pants" is actually a pretty common strategy, but most people who do that spend significant time on revision. I'm not sure how it could work for a serial work.
    I would call that mulling it over. In a more serial comic though you definitely need to script ahead.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

New chapter?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like Kira is down. And a bunch of other guys named in the page before.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

13. - Top - End - #793
    Troll in the Playground

kubo, stop naming people then murdering them. it doesn't DO anything.

also, disappointed to see kira down. his fights were always interesting. he was always the one winning with clever tactics.
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-05-30 at 08:46 AM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

kubo, stop naming people then murdering them. it doesn't DO anything.
    To be fair, one of those guys looked so much like Byakuya that I would have been hellishly confused if he hadn't been given a separate name.

also, disappointed to see kira down. his fights were always interesting. he was always the one winning with clever tactics.
    Yeah, he does seem to be trying to make up for lost time on the murdering cool people front. Let's see if it sticks.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

About the only thing this does is show why the captains are considered the military force of the Soul Society.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

About the only thing this does is show why the captains are considered the military force of the Soul Society.
    Got to agree with this, one of my pet hates is one sided battles that try to prove how powerful new characters or threats are- it doesn't usually work in my opinion... and it shows lazy writing at work as well.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

How many people know Shikai now?(Before the random people died)

Why does the Soul Society even bother having the lower rank soldiers fight? They can't even be good meatshields
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post

Why does the Soul Society even bother having the lower rank soldiers fight? They can't even be good meatshields
    Well in the previous fights we have seen with the Quincy the Quincy had fodder troops as well AND they were fighting on earth were they have less spirit particles around to absorb. I think it was more of vastly underestimating the quincy's strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Yeah, he does seem to be trying to make up for lost time on the murdering cool people front. Let's see if it sticks.
    Ignoring Hinamori getting stabbed thorugh the chest, the vizard girl whose name I can't remember getting cut in half, Captain Tuberculosis having a third hand where he had ribs before (Wonderweiss's hand, to be precise) and SuperCaptain Fiery Genocide Granpa doing a sacrificial kido...

Rangiku looked pretty much the same after her fight with whatshisname beast thing made of Harribel's Fraccion. She was fine enough to be innefective againt Gin in the same arc. Mayuri looked far worse when he fought Ishida.

All of them are shiny now (Old Man Burninating Death has just one hand, but I don't think that's a problem for burning things).
    Ten gold pieces say the Third division won't be needing a new lieutenant any time soon.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Elhann View Post
    Ten gold pieces say the Third division won't be needing a new lieutenant any time soon.
    I'm not taking that bet. Simply because the odds are stupidly long on both Kira dieing and the rest of the division not getting annihilated down to the captain, at which point they won't need a new lieutenant any time soon anyways.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

because they are effective and watch over the entire world. lets not forget at least 1 espada and almost all the fraccion were killed by lieutenants.

as dead as they all got, this was the right move for SS. not only were previous quincy not this powerful, there are more of them than SS has captains. they need to know where the major threats are before deploying.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

The average Soul Reaper has enough ability to do one of three tasks: patrol the roukon district, exterminate hollows in the mortal world, or provide support / healing to those that do. It seems like there is very little overlap when it comes to roles in SS.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #803
    Firbolg in the Playground

The random people were all high seated officers.

Also, Rukia is now officially a vice-captain?
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

because they are effective and watch over the entire world. lets not forget at least 1 espada and almost all the fraccion were killed by lieutenants.
    Actually she was not even a LT when she took down the Espada.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Also, Rukia is now officially a vice-captain?
    Yep. Rukia is officialy a vice-captain now. Let's hope a power boost came with the new job. She is going to need it.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, her purpose is obvious. If Rukia goes headfirst for one of the Stern Ritter, it's the perfect excuse for Kyoraku and Ukitake to show up and save her. Ukitake will die and Kyoraku will kill the Stern Ritter that took out Ukitake, both hyping the Stern Ritter further (they can kill even senior Captains) while giving hope to the rest of the Shinigami (they can be killed). I think at least one Stern Ritter will die before the surviving Shinigami flee to the Human World, where the Vandenreich is ironically weakest, and that Kyoraku, Unohana and Yamamoto will stay behind to hold the Quincy off long enough for them all to get away.

Which fits the chapter title, since this invasion will signify the end of the Gotei 13.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

26. - Top - End - #806
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    Nah, her purpose is obvious. If Rukia goes headfirst for one of the Stern Ritter, it's the perfect excuse for Kyoraku and Ukitake to show up and save her. Ukitake will die and Kyoraku will kill the Stern Ritter that took out Ukitake, both hyping the Stern Ritter further (they can kill even senior Captains) while giving hope to the rest of the Shinigami (they can be killed). I think at least one Stern Ritter will die before the surviving Shinigami flee to the Human World, where the Vandenreich is ironically weakest, and that Kyoraku, Unohana and Yamamoto will stay behind to hold the Quincy off long enough for them all to get away.

Which fits the chapter title, since this invasion will signify the end of the Gotei 13.
    I will stop reading Bleach if that happens.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    I will stop reading Bleach if that happens.
    Why? IMO that's not bad plot development.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Troll in the Playground

It's a strictly formula plot that has been overused.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Since when were you under the impression that I wasn't using strictly hackneyed plot points?
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

And if the Gotei 13 doesn't fall, what then? Ichigo wipes out the Quincy presence in Hueco Mundo, the Shinigami takes out Buckbeard and his Stern Ritter and everyone lives happily ever after?

That would be terrible.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."