New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim IV: Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    For someone that is absolutely not a thief, the only thing in there is one of the best bows, one of the best swords, and above all the access to Fences.

Edit: So much for killing Big P... I finished the main quest yesterday without doing it, so... No.
    Note: depending on when you get them determines if they are the best in the game. At least that's my guess.

Because yeah... I went through all that trouble, and now I use an elven bow because it's stronger.

I hate the leveled item system.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

I am now testing Gromit's files on the Nexus: the smithing overhaul and the fletching (make your own arrows) mod.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

3. - Top - End - #303
    Colossus in the Playground

For someone that is absolutely not a thief, the only thing in there is one of the best bows, one of the best swords, and above all the access to Fences.

Edit: So much for killing Big P... I finished the main quest yesterday without doing it, so... No.
    So...how are you roped into joining them, then? All you need to do to find Esbern is make it into the Ratway Warrens, which doesn't require membership, or even helping the Thieves Guild ever. It is also possible to enter the College of Winterhold through the Midden, or enter through the front door and then not sit through the lesson on wards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    So...how are you roped into joining them, then? All you need to do to find Esbern is make it into the Ratway Warrens, which doesn't require membership, or even helping the Thieves Guild ever. It is also possible to enter the College of Winterhold through the Midden, or enter through the front door and then not sit through the lesson on wards.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brynjolf offers you a job upon entering Riften, do it, or let it fail and he asks you to go with him to the Flaggon.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brynjolf offers you a job upon entering Riften, do it, or let it fail and he asks you to go with him to the Flaggon.
    Alternatively you can exit out of his conversation.

At which point he just wanders around the market until you talk to him again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Alternatively you can exit out of his conversation.

At which point he just wanders around the market until you talk to him again.
    You still have it as a quest, with gigantic pointing arrow and everything.
    Though that's how you get roped, which was what was asked.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    You still have it as a quest, with gigantic pointing arrow and everything.
    Though that's how you get roped, which was what was asked.
    Really? I didn't.

All I did was hit B as soon as he tried talking to me.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Really? I didn't.

All I did was hit B as soon as he tried talking to me.
    It ends in either miscellaneous if he doesn't tell you his plan or intentions, or in it's own category if you hear them but run away.

Though I always refuse to pay the toll, so it may be because of that.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Do you ever wonder if Dark Brotherhood's destruction under Penitus Ocultus remind you of OOTS Strip 827.
    Astrid= Thanh
    Even though they're assasins, they're like family and kinda sad to see them died.
    Except I destroy them as an orc.
    Last edited by t209; 2012-01-24 at 01:32 AM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #310

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    2) CPU. Clock rate is the God of gaming performance. Games are still single-threaded
    This is not true these days...there are quite a few multi-threaded games out there. Skyrim is one of them, as it happens!

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Realistic Running Speed
    I looked at this and as long as the bug that makes you run FASTER with your weapon or shield up than not isn't fixed... Nah. Good idea though.

Anyway, question for everyone:

Should we make a separate Skyrim MOD recommendation thread? Here it seems those posts will drown in the sea of interesting questions and banter

Edit: Since I am done with the main quest, I will start over "soon".

I want to start a Chaotic Mage. Who is interested in a let's play (screenshot version)?

I will NOT be "totally evil" (meaning no Dark Brotherhood).

I will be female

I will be a non-beast race

Robes or armor?

Combine with Warrior or Thief?
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-01-24 at 06:46 AM.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

I hate the leveled item system.
    It is, however, absolutey vital in a game where the enemies level-scale, at least from a game design standpoint.
    In My Opinion, though, there needs to be a Knights of the Nine-style way to make the gear re-level up to you.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    It is, however, absolutey vital in a game where the enemies level-scale, at least from a game design standpoint.
    In My Opinion, though, there needs to be a Knights of the Nine-style way to make the gear re-level up to you.
    The Dragon Age way works too.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Not really. In oblivion I grabbed the umbra at level 3.

That sword still rocked all the way up to level 15.

I never did grow out of it.

That's how I think it should work. Your damage with a weapon should be determined not by when you found it, but your skill with that weapons weapon type.

Just because the enemies scale does not mean the loot needs to scale. You just need to.

As it is this system punishes you for going after things that will benefit you as soon as possible.

The game shouldn't punish you for trying to stay in character.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

It does scale pretty well, and for most things it works out because the numbers aren't a point to point increase.

Really helps me not feel too bad. Plus the wide variety of special attacks that just seem eminently more useful to me are much easier to use.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    It does scale pretty well, and for most things it works out because the numbers aren't a point to point increase.

Really helps me not feel too bad. Plus the wide variety of special attacks that just seem eminently more useful to me are much easier to use.
    The scaling in Skyrim is SO much better, but weird things is happening at the end.

Case in point: Urzul can now, with jewelry and skill, one-shot mammoths with her bow from Sneakmode. But there are bandits out there that only takes 80% damage from the same shot...

Slightly immersion-breaking.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-01-24 at 08:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

The scaling in Skyrim is SO much better, but weird things is happening at the end.

Case in point: Urzul can now, with jewelry and skill, one-shot mammoths with her bow from Sneakmode. But there are bandits out there that only takes 80% damage from the same shot...

Similar problem.

Imperial soldiers die nigh instantly... But aside from being a pain in my rear, I watched the mercenaries at goldenglow fight off a dragon.

Before I stole the kill.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318

BlackDragon

In most cases, you're playing a character who can stand in front of a dragon and beat it to death without coming close to death...I don't think relative power levels is something you should obsess about.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Most mammoth's don't have armor, nor do they have shields. Of course, this might be one of those bandits wearing just a pair of fur pants. In which case they're actually dragons in disguise.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Most mammoth's don't have armor, nor do they have shields. Of course, this might be one of those bandits wearing just a pair of fur pants. In which case they're actually dragons in disguise.
    They are other dragonborn.

What you thought yours was the only family to marry into the ruling class way back when?

Yeah right. :P
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure if you're joking or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #322
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Similar problem.

Imperial soldiers die nigh instantly... But aside from being a pain in my rear, I watched the mercenaries at goldenglow fight off a dragon.

Before I stole the kill.
    If you're playing on the PC, try the Deadly Dragons mod. Skews the balance of power back in the dragons direction.

Be warned, barring maxed out resists, this mod will have you clinging to cover for dear life. Survival requires flanking, powers, judicious shield bashing, hit-and-run tactics etc... It's a lot easier with Dragonrend, but still, dragons are no walk in the park.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-01-24 at 02:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    If you're playing on the PC, try the Deadly Dragons mod. Skews the balance of power back in the dragon's direction.
    Xbox.

I generally don't go in for modding big ticket games.

I think the only time I have, is with Kotor II. And that was just the restored content patch.

... And the darth revan outfit. But I wanted that dang hood/mask combo the whole game of kotor I and it never gave it to me...
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    If you're playing on the PC, try the Deadly Dragons mod. Skews the balance of power back in the dragons direction.

Be warned, barring maxed out resists, this mod will have you clinging to cover for dear life. Survival requires flanking, powers, judicious shield bashing, hit-and-run tactics etc... It's a lot easier with Dragonrend, but still, dragons are no walk in the park.
    Dual cast destruction FTW! You just stun the crap out of the dragon.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

25. - Top - End - #325

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Dual cast destruction FTW! You just stun the crap out of the dragon.
    The mod's higher difficulties make dragons resistant or even immune to Stagger. Plus their increased hp and resists make the double casts really strain your mana unless you're abusing Enchanting.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    This is not true these days...there are quite a few multi-threaded games out there. Skyrim is one of them, as it happens!
    That may be technically true, but Techspot's performance testing supports my conclusions. Whatever multithreaded code they're using, it doesn't have a significant bearing on framerate, which is what you need to run high quality games:

http://www.techspot.com/review/467-s...nce/page7.html

So yes, I was overly simplistic when I said games are single threaded. What is technically more accurate is that the processor-intensive graphics engines are still single threaded (and are likely to stay that way for some time, to prevent irritating race-condition and blocking call issues), so don't pay too much for extra cores. Push up core density, you get negligible gains in performance. Push up clock rate, and you get nearly proportional gains in performance.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Okay... New character concept: a non-evil version of Harley Quin, or maybe the Anti-Cicero. A totally nutty, but not really evil, wizard.

28. - Top - End - #328

BarbarianGuy

Wouldn't the anti-Cicero just be a sane, average person?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suedars View Post
    Wouldn't the anti-Cicero just be a sane, average person?
    Har. Har. Har.

Edit: I cannot decide if I want to go for the Heavy armored Mage or the Robe Mage. Opinions?
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-01-25 at 02:08 AM.

30. - Top - End - #330

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    That may be technically true, but Techspot's performance testing supports my conclusions. Whatever multithreaded code they're using, it doesn't have a significant bearing on framerate, which is what you need to run high quality games:

http://www.techspot.com/review/467-s...nce/page7.html
    You might want to read that article again--it says that Skyrim benefits from at least a dual-core CPU. If you actually had a single-core CPU (I realise that's almost impossible these days, but what the hey) then Skyrim performance would suffer massively because of it. Plus, as game developers get more used to wringing the full performance out of their extra threads, this situation will only improve--the Skyrim engine is largely based on the Oblivion one, which is quite long in the tooth now.