New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim IV: Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    240x? How??
    It was the 15x dagger perk, 4x DB gloves to 60x, turn on Orc racial for 120x and use 2 to put you at 240x.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

So I wanted a change form my "hit everything until it dies" nord, but I also got bored of my "sneak attack everything until it dies" dunmer. So, naturally, I rolled up an "only uses what he has personally crafted" orc. It's pretty fun so far, especially since I barely used smithing as my nord. This guy's got a ton of available enchantments already, since any magic gear he loots will be instantly disenchanted as he wouldn't use it anyway. Now I just need access to soultrap...
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dvil View Post
    So I wanted a change form my "hit everything until it dies" nord, but I also got bored of my "sneak attack everything until it dies" dunmer. So, naturally, I rolled up an "only uses what he has personally crafted" orc. It's pretty fun so far, especially since I barely used smithing as my nord. This guy's got a ton of available enchantments already, since any magic gear he loots will be instantly disenchanted as he wouldn't use it anyway. Now I just need access to soultrap...
    You could probably consider a Bound Sword, Bound Bow, or Bound Battleaxe to be a weapon he made himself. Get the right perk, and they trap souls.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    You could probably consider a Bound Sword, Bound Bow, or Bound Battleaxe to be a weapon he made himself. Get the right perk, and they trap souls.
    Eh, if possible I'd rather make a weapon and then enchant it with soul trap. Espacially since he seems to be a fan of one-handed maces.
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

So... going native for a while. I like this armor, but it looks bad when crouching, and it is not good enough, protection-wise. The problem is that I am bored with always wearing the same thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground

Good people! I bring you Skyrim comics, made by my own hand!!

Courtship
    Spoiler
    Show

Helping Farkas
    Spoiler
    Show

Farkas & Aela
    ---WARNING: Companions spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show

The Blades
    ---WARNING: Main Quest spoilers!!
    Spoiler
    Show

The Doctrine of the Dovahkiin
    ---erm.... Scripted event that happens the first time you enter Solitude spoiler?
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Good people! I bring you Skyrim comics, made by my own hand!!

Courtship
    Spoiler
    Show

Helping Farkas
    Spoiler
    Show

Farkas & Aela
    ---WARNING: Companions spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show

The Blades
    ---WARNING: Main Quest spoilers!!
    Spoiler
    Show

The Doctrine of the Dovahkiin
    ---erm.... Scripted event that happens the first time you enter Solitude spoiler?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very nice, I especially liked the ones with the blades and farkas and aela, good humor my friend!

And I do so wish I could tell the blades to shut it like your character did in the comics, but nice one on the cicero joke, I hadn't thought of that way to get rid of him!

8. - Top - End - #248

Glad you like it!

I actually don't know if that would work with Cicero. I never gave any followers to the Blades, and Julius (the character in all but the last comic) destroyed the Dark Brotherhood, so he never interacted with Cicero.
    My evil assassin kitty has, though, but
    Spoiler
    Show
    he killed Cicero, took his clothes, and dumped him in a firepit.

EDIT
    *finally notices typo in Farkas & Aela*
    Last edited by Janus; 2012-01-22 at 12:29 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

I missed that scripted event...the game treats it as he was executed, but I was never there for it. So I haven't a clue what they were talking about in town.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I got Skyrim for PC for X-Mas... and can't get it to work on my comp. It runs unplayably slow, takes minutes for the game to start up.

Here's what I have
    HP-Pavillion GN556AA-ABA a6200n
    Windows Vista
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2 CPUs), 2.6 GHz
    3454 MB RAM (1918 starting RAM + a 2 Gig RAM upgrade)
    114 GB free space on hard drive (after installing the game)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 w/ 825 MB memory
    DirectX 11
    I thought I'd be able to play it, with the graphics turned way down, not for it to be so achingly slow. Will a new video card fix this, or do I need something more?
    Last edited by Hand of Vecna; 2012-01-22 at 02:31 PM. Reason: processor

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcran View Post
    It was the 15x dagger perk, 4x DB gloves to 60x, turn on Orc racial for 120x and use 2 to put you at 240x.
    The DB gloves are only 2x though. Or is there an upgrade I am not aware of?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

So I got a 50€ gift card for an electronics store.

Skyrim looks fun and interesting, but I really hated Morrowind for being send on hundreds of fetch quests that had absolutely nothing to do with the plot.
    However, I love Gothic and Stalker, which are similar games.

I guess one think that made the difference to me was that in Gothic you have actual people you are talking to, while in Morrowind there are just person-shaped signposts that have a lot of text to read while your own character lacks any personalty and never says a single word. Not even written words.

Morrowind felt completely static while in Gothic and Stalker it is like there are actual people living there. Also, those game had a solid main story, which I never could find in Morrowind. It was "there you are, see a guy in Balmora".

Would you say I might have fun with Skyrim, or would I just be as disappointed as with Morrowind after rummaging ten hours through garbage bins without purpose?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say Skyrim's a little better than Morrowind in the regards you describe. The NPCs are voice-acted (though there weren't enough to give each character their own voice, so people are going to sound like other people), and you are allowed a bit more choice in how you reply to people to determine your personality a bit. Also, NPCs move about and have schedules and stuff, instead of standing in one place the whole time waiting for you to talk to them. There are still a lot of fetch quests and "Go here and kill this" quests, but I think for fetch quests they're pretty cool, especially with the incredibly detailed environments you'll go through. Sure, once you've seen Bleak Falls Barrow, the set pieces will look familiar, but everything has its own unique layout and some of the dungeons are really cool (I point to places like Wolfskull Cave, Broken Oar Grotto, Bthardamz and Ustengrav as examples).

Skyrim is basically Oblivion (Morrowind's sequel) with many bugs and issues cleared up so it's a much cleaner and entertaining experience. At least in my opinion. I'd say at least give it a try.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hand of Vecna View Post
    I got Skyrim for PC for X-Mas... and can't get it to work on my comp. It runs unplayably slow, takes minutes for the game to start up.

Here's what I have

I thought I'd be able to play it, with the graphics turned way down, not for it to be so achingly slow. Will a new video card fix this, or do I need something more?
    What are your processer speed/specs? That could be the bottleneck.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

15. - Top - End - #255

BarbarianGuy

Here's what I have

Your graphics card isn't even remotely close to being able to run the game. It's 2 generations behind the minimum specs. You didn't post your processor, but with a graphics card that old I'd be surprised if your processor could handle the game.

16. - Top - End - #256

Is there any particular down side to doing the Companions quest line early on, such as a leveled item or whatnot?
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

17. - Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by Knight13 View Post
    Is there any particular down side to doing the Companions quest line early on, such as a leveled item or whatnot?
    not that I'm aware of, unless
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't want to be a lycanthrope early on, for resting bonuses

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

I recently killed my boss's boss, because my boss's colleague told a dead person to tell me to kill my boss's boss. My boss was loyal to his boss, but he didn't get angry because preventing what happened wasn't his job. I then killed my boss's colleague because his boss, who was also my boss's boss, asked me to before dying.

Translation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I killed the Emperor as part of a Dark Brotherhood quest after joining the Imperial Legion, of which I remain a member. I then honored the Emperor's dying wish.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2012-01-22 at 03:10 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

You might want to put the last part in spoilers...
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

So... I am thorn. To kill Big P or not. On one hand certain people are being disrespectful morons for wanting me to do it, on the other hand... From an RPG perspective I really don't know much about him except what he himself says.

Also, finally got around to use the console to get great screenshots:
    Spoiler
    Show

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

21. - Top - End - #261
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Suedars View Post
    Your graphics card isn't even remotely close to being able to run the game. It's 2 generations behind the minimum specs. You didn't post your processor, but with a graphics card that old I'd be surprised if your processor could handle the game.
    Processor info edited in to original post, and... yeah, I had a feeling I'd need to get a new graphics cards at least.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nhbdy View Post
    I'm with you, after doing all of the factions (including the imperial legion, but excluding the dirty stormcloaks) I'd rank the order of awesomeness as follows

1. Thieves Guild
    2. Dark brotherhood
    3. Companions
    4. Civil war faction (heard the stormcloaks were more or less the same as the legion in terms of questiness)
    99999. Mage's College

The top three are all really good and somewhat close, the war wasn't near as good as it could have been but the finale siege and the battle of whiterun were both very enjoyable in my opinion, but the mage's college was just a really bad questline in my experience, the whole thing felt really lackluster and at the end I didn't feel like an arcmage, more like a pawn and I lacked closure.
    I dunno, the Civil War is terribly boring so far. Delve into a ruin to find a trinket? Been doing that for years. Capture a bunch of forts? I clean out forts when I pass them by, for the fun of it. Storm Whiterun? That went even faster than the forts, and they didn't even try to play up the whole "this is basically your home town and now you're raising arms against it" thing. And in the meantime, every. Single. Thing. You. Do. Needs. To. Be. Reported. To. Ulfric. Seriously, send a courier or something, and let me go do my job. And the stuff he gives you is junk, too. Fur armour? Steel sword? I'm not level 2, Ulfric. This isn't loot. This is equipment bandits throw away because they have better stuff.

The College actually has some unique stuff to it, neat items, a host of characters that offer you quests and services, plus you get a cool garden in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

23. - Top - End - #263

BarbarianGuy

Processor info edited in to original post, and... yeah, I had a feeling I'd need to get a new graphics cards at least.
    I'm not too well versed in processors, so take this with a grain of salt but it looks like your processor will run the game but not particularly well. Upgrading your graphics card should be enough to get it playable on low settings, though you might have a few performance hiccups. There are mods out there that will help smooth things out in some of the areas of the game that are notorious for poor performance.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I dunno, the Civil War is terribly boring so far. Delve into a ruin to find a trinket? Been doing that for years. Capture a bunch of forts? I clean out forts when I pass them by, for the fun of it. Storm Whiterun? That went even faster than the forts, and they didn't even try to play up the whole "this is basically your home town and now you're raising arms against it" thing. And in the meantime, every. Single. Thing. You. Do. Needs. To. Be. Reported. To. Ulfric. Seriously, send a courier or something, and let me go do my job. And the stuff he gives you is junk, too. Fur armour? Steel sword? I'm not level 2, Ulfric. This isn't loot. This is equipment bandits throw away because they have better stuff.

The College actually has some unique stuff to it, neat items, a host of characters that offer you quests and services, plus you get a cool garden in the end.
    Huh the Empire gave me some cool stuff. Not counting the "uniform" everything except one thing was a daedric item.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

25. - Top - End - #265
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

The minimum specs for Skyrim (as listed on the Steam site) are a dual-core 2.0GHz CPU (yours is 2.6, so you're OK there) and a DX9.0 compliant graphics card with 512Mb of RAM. I suspect the problem you're having is that an nVidia 6150SE doesn't have that much RAM on-board--it uses system RAM and has a 64Mb on-board cache to try and speed things up, but that really doesn't work very well, as you've found. Fortunately it appears that your machine has a PCI-Express x16 slot, so you should be able to replace that card with something better and maybe at least get to the point where the game is playable on minimum settings.

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Huh the Empire gave me some cool stuff. Not counting the "uniform" everything except one thing was a daedric item.
    The rewards VASTLY differ between levels. If you do the imperial/stormcloak quests at levels 5-20 you will get alot of steel and minor enchanted items but past level 40 or 50 you start getting somewhat good stuff like the daedric armor but really by that time you should have something similar already.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Forsworn are over the top hard. I am actually getting nervous about next playthrough with a melee character; I just had to reaload an entire temple because I had quicksaved in a spot where a Forsworn is coming around the corner, and he one-shots me with his sword every. time.

I am lvl 46, and if they spot me, I am dead. I am playing on the default difficulty, btw.

28. - Top - End - #268

I just encountered Vigilants of Stendarr. They claim to hunt Daedra and their worshippers. Would dealing with them somehow help me find Daedric artifiacts? Like, I agree to go kill some cultists, but start becoming buds with them, or am i straight up crazy?
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Forsworn are over the top hard. I am actually getting nervous about next playthrough with a melee character; I just had to reaload an entire temple because I had quicksaved in a spot where a Forsworn is coming around the corner, and he one-shots me with his sword every. time.

I am lvl 46, and if they spot me, I am dead. I am playing on the default difficulty, btw.
    Hmm... That's odd. I'm level 42, going on 43, and I one shot them half the time.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    Hmm... That's odd. I'm level 42, going on 43, and I one shot them half the time.
    Well admittedly I am a glass cannon (stealth bowman and backstabber).