New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 136 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849505152535455565758597499 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 4053
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Unlikely to happen, given that the bonus strips and commentaries are the primary reason (aside from having a physical book and shoving money Rich's way) to purchase the compilations. Making a book like that would completely undercut the point of the compilations.
    I seriously doubt the same people who would buy a book of bonus are the same people who buy the color books. As others have said it would be a book you had to read at the computer. Especially since there would likely only be 2 such books -- there would be quite some wait between them.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

I'm going to take a guess that the next mystery prize line will be in the vicinity of $365k; as a kind of half-way house to incentivise hitting $387k. Next update shall tell :-)

That wiki page is currently missing a currently funding ipod dock project that's at over 700k though, so it's not quite as rosy as Wiki suggests.
    When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt,
    Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Avatar designed by the talented Ceika

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ArtosSwiftblade View Post
    That wiki page is currently missing a currently funding ipod dock project that's at over 700k though, so it's not quite as rosy as Wiki suggests.
    Indeed, but that still puts us in 9th place overall. Which is a win

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArtosSwiftblade View Post
    I fixed that. My first choice with my Wikipedia hat on would be to remove OOTS, but I can't see that working without the page being protected. As long as a new project does not also break the top 10 while we are running, then everything can be back to how it should be on two weeks Tuesday.
    Last edited by keldorn; 2012-02-01 at 12:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaed View Post
    I get this feeling that maybe people are pledging just to inflate the record and are going to withdraw their pledges at the last minute...

After all, this process seems to be an 'on your honor' donation thing more than anything else...
    Cynical as that is... yeah, I'm of the same opinion. Noticed a few times now the dollar number actually go down. Not sure if it is because it just didn't reload the page properly or they were withdrawn.
    Helping others is a good and noble cause, but sometimes the best way you can help them is by lending them a sword and telling them to go slay their own damned dragons.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Joxer t' Mighty View Post
    Cynical as that is... yeah, I'm of the same opinion. Noticed a few times now the dollar number actually go down. Not sure if it is because it just didn't reload the page properly or they were withdrawn.

Well, at least this is validated funds. So the people pledging have the money. I bet some will back out. If they are on a limited pledge, others will swoop in given enough time.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

what? some gamers might be gaming the system? there's min-maxing going on? perish the thought.
    >>< drow ><<

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I suppose Rich won't start drawing the stories until the drive is done. So if they pledge just to raise the level so they'll get more free stuff, and then withdraw again, they'll sink the level and won't get their free stuff.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaed View Post
    I get this feeling that maybe people are pledging just to inflate the record and are going to withdraw their pledges at the last minute...

After all, this process seems to be an 'on your honor' donation thing more than anything else...
    Not a chance that a significant number of people back out. Sure, there will be some drop of funds I'm sure (credit/debit cards having lack of funds being the number one reason). But not a significant amount.

Why? Mostly because people have no reason to **** with Rich's livelyhood. And, really, that is exactly what would happen if people started to play around with this.

This is REAL LIFE folks, not some video game. And believe it or not, most people aren't going to mess around with someone's livelyhood when they have no reason to do so.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Well, I suppose Rich won't start drawing the stories until the drive is done. So if they pledge just to raise the level so they'll get more free stuff, and then withdraw again, they'll sink the level and won't get their free stuff.
    I'm pretty sure Rich could be working on the O'Chul story, at a minimum. I doubt $300,000 worth of pledges will pull out. (And the Julio Scoundrel PDF better be safe or I'll cry.)
    Last edited by jmucchiello; 2012-02-01 at 01:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Not a chance that a significant number of people back out. Sure, there will be some drop of funds I'm sure (credit/debit cards having lack of funds being the number one reason). But not a significant amount.
    I would also expect that between Rich and Kickstarter, there are reviews of pledges to make sure nothing is particularly odd. Like say someone makes a $10,000 pledge but doesn't accept a pledge level. Or even a $1,000 pledge, but selects the $14 two magnet. I'm sure that KS has had to deal with some of this stuff in the almost 3 years it has been running, and ought to be watching for oddities and discrepancies as pledge drives run, or else it's their reputation on the line as well.

Side note, the drive got a brief mention in another comics blog:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/02/01...her-webcomics/

I've had a google search saved on "Order of the Stick" to see if anymore articles are written about it. A nice high profile piece could drive a bunch of more people to check it out. I submitted a link to BoingBoing today about it. BB tends to like Kickstarter projects, and Doctorow is always interested in stories of authors/artists trying stuff like this. There's also a public page to submit tips (I did a private submission). I didn't want to do both though, so if someone else wants to drop it in the public submission pool, might be worth it:

http://submit.boingboing.net/

12. - Top - End - #1452

Now we've reached the 350K mark, the targets for the next 24 hours or so are

* 364,698 - match the 8th largest KS project
    * 369,569 - match the 7th largest KS project
    * 387,550 - DCF reprint

Somewhere in there is also the next mystery reward.

If Rich puts up t-shirts or something else to generate a feeding frenzy, then subsequent targets are.

* 400,000 Just because it's round
    * 404,250 Seven times original goal.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by keldorn View Post
    Now we've reached the 350K mark, the targets for the next 24 hours or so are

* 364,698 - match the 8th largest KS project
    * 369,569 - match the 7th largest KS project
    * 387,550 - DCF reprint

Somewhere in there is also the next mystery reward.

If Rich puts up t-shirts or something else to generate a feeding frenzy, then subsequent targets are.

* 400,000 Just because it's round
    * 404,250 Seven times original goal.
    Maybe we should start planning the 1000% party for when it hits $577,500...

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Well, at least this is validated funds. So the people pledging have the money. I bet some will back out. If they are on a limited pledge, others will swoop in given enough time.
    Nope. They aren't validated to more than 1$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon customer support
    When you make a pledge with Kickstarter, Amazon Payments are the payment process and we contact your credit card's issuing bank to confirm that your credit card is a valid number and hasn't been reported lost or stolen. This is done with a $1.00 authorization. We don't actually proceed with the charge; this is simply one of the security measures we use to protect our customers.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CDP View Post
    Maybe we should start planning the 1000% party for when it hits $577,500...
    Although Durkon may wreck whatever plans ye be...plannin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Although Durkon may wreck whatever plans ye be...plannin'.
    Oh, pish. I'll just put him in charge of getting the beer.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    Ouch... Okay so they only need a valid card with a buck on it. I guess really it just increases the risk. Someone posted that KS waits 14 days before handing over the funds. I bet that is the riskiest period.

I still think most of the bids are legit...

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Actually they are only validated to 1$ at the time the pledge was announced - as we have heard here in this thread, you can pledge for a project ending in a month with a credit card valid until tomorrow...

But what are the chances that this project will crash due to failing pledges?

Oh, and by the way - t-shirts would be nice, but please not this "...and all i got..." stuff - after all we get a lot more...
    How about a t-shirt with Elan's merry "I'm participating!" - or maybe better "I participated!"?
    Last edited by Unisus; 2012-02-01 at 03:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Unisus View Post
    Actually they are only validated to 1$ at the time the pledge was announced - as we have heard here in this thread, you can pledge for a project ending in a month with a credit card valid until tomorrow...

1/20 . . .
    Alot less if you use a fumble confirm model, but you will still miss the target.
    Last edited by WampaX; 2012-02-01 at 03:16 PM.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Honestly?

Zero.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

I'd say pretty low.

I have no doubts that there are 5000+ deadbeats in the world who would happily default on their pledges, but the odds that they all decided to converge on this pledge drive and no legitimate backers showed up are astronomical.

Edit: Elan "I Participated!" T-shirts? Hmmm.... Maybe something to add to every pledge of $50 or more?
    Last edited by CDP; 2012-02-01 at 03:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd glad to see ANY T-shirts or other apparel added.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

The I've participated idea is great. Or even maybe the last graph? I know on the comment thread the was below. Maybe just strike the 'and' and after?

Xavier Perez about 1 hour ago
    The idea for a shirt that says "I Kickstarted a sexy shoeless god of war and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt" I read in the update comments is incredibly tempting.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like we just hit $355k. Great job everyone!
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

25. - Top - End - #1465

Quote Originally Posted by CDP View Post
    Elan "I Participated!" T-shirts? Hmmm.... Maybe something to add to every pledge of $50 or more?
    We do get the magnet, but only people in the know would get that it marks someone as a participant. Also, how do you wear a fridge magnet?

I'd be willing to pay extra for a t-shirt (or a button) like we are doing for extra books.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hamiltonz View Post
    We do get the magnet, but only people in the know would get that it marks someone as a participant. Also, how do you wear a fridge magnet?

I'd be willing to pay extra for a t-shirt (or a button) like we are doing for extra books.
    Easy, a magnet on the outside and magnet on the inside of your shirt/pocket.
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2012-02-01 at 05:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Dwarf in the Playground

No, what you should really do is become a cyborg.

Then you can shoot lazers out of your eyes.

28. - Top - End - #1468

Quote Originally Posted by Hamiltonz View Post

Easy, a magnet on the outside and magnet on the inside of your shirt/pocket.

Well, that would work, but personally, I would rather have a t-shirt!
    Thanks to Castaras for the avatar!

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't mean to be miserly on a donation website, but why is the THE WHOLE STORY reward set at $222 when one can theoretically purchase those seven books from Ookoodook for ~$170 once they're back in print? That's a significant difference. Are the Ook prices likely to change? Or does Rich just like alliteration? Is it still alliteration when applied to numbers?

I understand that it's not likely to change since so many people have already pledged at that level, but I thought I'd ask. If I do someday want to own all the books, does everyone recommend grabbing the pledge reward now even at a premium?

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Well, I presume that the base Ookoodook price does not include shipping, and this includes US shipping (and part of further distant shipping). Furthermore, you're not simply buying a book, you're helping fun the printing of more books beyond the one you bought, so that other people can buy one later. That being said, if you don't want to pay the extra to help out, just wait until the books are back in print and buy them then (although you won't get all the pdfs, and it looks like Snips and Snails will be pulled once this drive is over, so this may be your last chance to get it).
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.