New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Are you sure? This Rules of the Game says any total concealment will do it. Or is that a mistake?

If this sparks a discussion I'll make a thread for it.
    Douglas' answer was correct. The rules of the game articles are sadly sometimes wrong and thus carry the same weight as the FAQ (that being none at all).

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

Q160
    Can you fight defensively while using the Combat Expertise feat? Do the two stack?

Q161
    Is there any additional benefit to using the Combat Expertise feat when you have 5 or more ranks in Tumble, as there is to fighting defensively?

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 160 Yes.

Dodge bonuses always stack.

A 161 No.

You get just what's stated in the feat's Benefit section.

Re: A134 [small correction]
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    c No. The rules for total concealment do not of themselves deny dex bonus for your targets. You need to actually be invisible for that.
    You don't need to actually be invisible; being hidden will work just fine (see Rules Compendium on page 92). However, you're correct in pointing out in A 134 e that being wrapped in concealing amorpha does nothing to keep you from being observed, and thus you fail to satisfy one of the two requirements to make a Hide check. (The same situation arises if someone uses a tower shield for total concealment; such use does nothing to keep the character's movements around the battlefield from being readily observed.) The combination of Greater Concealing Amorpha and some form of Hide in Plain Sight would allow a Hide check and thus (if superior to enemies' Spot scores) enable sneak attack.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-02-18 at 05:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 162

IN the text of persist spell, it says the spell must have a fixed or personal range. What does a fixed range mean? Do touch spells count?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A162

It means a range that does not vary based on any statistic of the caster. In particular, any range that depends on caster level (such as Close, Medium, or Long) is not fixed. Opinions vary on whether touch spells count; ask your DM about that detail.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A162

It means a range that does not vary based on any statistic of the caster. In particular, any range that depends on caster level (such as Close, Medium, or Long) is not fixed. Opinions vary on whether touch spells count; ask your DM about that detail.
    Regardless of the range, it was my understanding that since touch spells are always discharged you can't use it with persistent spell anyway?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 162
    It means a range that does not vary based on any statistic of the caster.
    The range at which a spellcaster can touch someone varies with their natural reach, from 0' for Tiny or smaller spellcasters, to 30' or more. That's not a fixed number.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 163: How does making a magical trap work? I have the text here but do I need an feats? I know there's a craft check but beyond that. Also where is that text in the DMG?
    Last edited by Suddo; 2012-02-19 at 08:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently Glanror in the Political Shenanigans campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rankar View Post
    *I may not teach the paladin communism and the concept of the greater good.
    *It is not within my rights to overthrow the established monarchy using the communist paladin.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A 163
    The specific costs text you linked to is on page #75 in the DMG.

You need the craft wonderous item feat for magical traps.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG 67 Bolded mine
    A mechanical trap can be constructed by a PC through successful use of the Craft (trapmaking) skill (see Designing a Trap, page 74, and the skill description on page 70 of the Player’s Handbook).
    Magic traps are further divided into spell traps and magic device traps. (...)
    Creating a magic device trap requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat (see Designing a Trap, page 74, and the feat description on page 92 of the Player’s Handbook).
    Last edited by mikau013; 2012-02-19 at 08:37 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikau013 View Post
    A 163
    The specific costs text you linked to is on page #75 in the DMG.

You need the craft wonderous item feat for magical traps.
    Thanks, I thought one would.
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently Glanror in the Political Shenanigans campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rankar View Post
    *I may not teach the paladin communism and the concept of the greater good.
    *It is not within my rights to overthrow the established monarchy using the communist paladin.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Halfling in the Playground

Q164

Where are specific rules for dealing with a catatonic coma (comatose), as described, for example, in the Eyebite spell?

Q164B

Are warforged immune to the comatose effect, as described above? From what I can tell, Warforged can be unconscious, as they are "unconscious and helpless" when below 0 hp; but unconscious is not necessarily the same thing as comatose.
    Last edited by ajfonty; 2012-02-19 at 08:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 164

The comatose state is defined in the Player's Handbook Glossary:
    comatose: Effectively in a state of suspended animation. A comatose creature is helpless.
    The Eyebite spell addresses the specifics of how to alleviate this condition.

A 164B No.

There's nothing in the race's description which gives any special treatment regarding the comatose condition. Eyebite notes that comatose is not a sleep effect, so creatures who do not sleep have no special ability to withstand the spell. Unconscious is a similar but unrelated condition by RAW, and does not apply.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Q165: What page of the Magic Item Compendium is the Tooth of Savnok (Or Savnok's Tooth or what ever the slotless item that causes armor not to inhibit your movement was called.) found on?

Edit:

Q 165b: And what was the name of the Item that gives you a 1/day Caster Level 20 Greater Magic Weapon spell that's in Magic Item Compendium, and what page was it on?
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2012-02-19 at 09:24 PM.
    "I Burn!"

14. - Top - End - #314
    Halfling in the Playground

Q166

A character has a base land speed of 30ft. They climb as a move action at 1/4 speed which would be 5ft. unaltered.

If a character spends their entire turn climbing do they move 5ft+5ft=10ft or 1/4 of 60ft which is 15ft?

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 166 10'
    Action: Climbing is part of movement, so it’s generally part of a move action (and may be combined with other types of movement in a move action). Each move action that includes any climbing requires a separate Climb check.
    Because you're making a separate check for each move action, rather than per round, you climb 5' + 5' = 10' for two move actions.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

A165(a)

The Tooth of Savnok is not in the MIC - it is in Tome of Magic, under the Teeth of Dalhver Nar entry (in the pact-magic items section).

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 167

If a spell (eg resistance) states that it can be made permanent with permanency, and another spell (eg greater resistance from the SC) states that it functions like that spell "except as noted here", without explicitly revoking the permanency clause, does this mean the second spell can be made permanent, too?
    Last edited by Callum; 2012-02-20 at 06:27 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A165(a)

The Tooth of Savnok is not in the MIC - it is in Tome of Magic, under the Teeth of Dalhver Nar entry (in the pact-magic items section).
    Thanks. What about that other Item in my post, the one that let's you get one a day CL 20 Greater Magic Weapon?
    "I Burn!"

19. - Top - End - #319
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q168a
    If a creature has the Blink spell active on him and makes a ranged attack, does the projectile stop Blinking (does the miss chance no longer apply) after it has been shot?
    For example: A Blinking rogue shoots an arrow at an opponent. Does the arrow strike without a miss chance?

Q168b
    If yes, above, would this attack with a non-Blinking arrow qualify for sneak attack damage? The rogue is still blinking, and he 'strikes as an invisible creature...'

Thanks in advance.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 168

Whether a creature subject to the Blink spell attacks at range or in melee makes no difference. The miss chance applies because you may go ethereal just as you are about to connect with a melee weapon, or just as you release a ranged weapon. Your attacks while under the effects of Blink are as an invisible creature (with a +2 bonus on attack rolls), denying your target any Dexterity bonus to AC (unless they can see invisible attackers, of course). Assuming you do not miss by going ethereal (20% chance of that) and are within the 30' range limit, you would qualify for sneak attack.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 169a

Does the Alertness feat granted by having a familiar within arms reach allow a player to qualify for PRCs that require Alertness?

Q 169b

"Improved familiars otherwise use the rules for regular familiars". Does this mean that an Imp, obtained at level 7 (The earliest it can be obtained) has an intelligence of 9, one less than normal for it's race?

Q 169c

"A slain familiar can be raised from the dead just as a character can be." Can a slain Quasit or Imp be raised, despite their Outsider type?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 169a Yes.

Having Alertness is the requirement; the details of how the character has that feat usually does not matter. However, gaining Alertness from a familiar has a restriction. If the familiar is not within arm's reach of the master when the master’s XP total reaches at least the minimum XP needed for a new character level, it will not be possible for the character to enter into any level of a class which requires Alertness. You need to meet the qualifications to become a member of a class whenever you wish to enter it for any new level; the entry requirements do not cease to exist after you've attained the first level in the class.

A 169b Yes.

A 169c No.

A slain Outsider familiar cannot be raised from the dead any more than a slain Outsider character can; the rules are the same. More powerful magic, such as True Resurrection, is required to bring back such creatures.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-02-20 at 06:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q. 170

Does Faerie Fire counter or dispell Mirror Image?
    Welcome to the Internet where opinions are facts and sources don't matter!
    I GOT A 4

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 170 No.

Countering or dispelling any spell is not listed in the description for Faerie Fire. And while Faerie Fire will only outline creatures and objects (not figments) in its effective area, the property of Mirror Image is that its figments continue to mimic the changing appearance of the spellcaster. That will mean that a spellcaster who lights a torch or gets Faerie Fire outlining them will result in figments who appear to light a torch or get outlined with a pale glow.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Q 165b: And what was the name of the Item that gives you a 1/day Caster Level 20 Greater Magic Weapon spell that's in Magic Item Compendium, and what page was it on?
    A 165 (b)

I can't find this item in the MIC anywhere, might it be from another source?

As a side note, using the SRD pricing guidelines (assuming a command word activation, 1/day) such an item would cost 21,600gp; double that if it didn't use a body slot (43,200gp).

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A 165 (b)

I can't find this item in the MIC anywhere, might it be from another source?

As a side note, using the SRD pricing guidelines (assuming a command word activation, 1/day) such an item would cost 21,600gp; double that if it didn't use a body slot (43,200gp).
    It might have been, I've seen it mentioned once or twice on the forums, never actually used it myself, so I'm not sure. Has anyone ever heard of an item that does this? If so, could you let me know what it is and where I can find it?
    "I Burn!"

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 165 (b)

Magic Item Compendium lists Oil of Greater Magic Weapon +5 on page 259, referencing the Player's Handbook spell. It's a single use, not 1/day.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. Ok then. Um, what page number did you say that was on? Thanks. Sorry for the trouble about that one guys.
    "I Burn!"

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Q 171

Are there enchantments for shield and/or armor that let the item's AC bonus apply to touch attacks? Please give a source. Thanks much!

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 171 Yes.

I believe it's called Ghost Ward, and I'm 90% sure that it's in the Magic Item Compendium. I gave a suit of armor and a shield with that property to an NPC in a game I ran a few years ago, which is why my memory of it is a little fuzzy.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.